2023 Transfer Thread - Texas Capitalized, ATM Victimized

closetojumping

3 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

This is very weird to read. Let's hope we can do this against Okie Lite 

We pressured Donovan Smith on virtually every play, and forced them into fourth downs consistently so we had lots of plays to run that stat up. Of course, what happened on fourth down was usually much less gruntling.

Just now, texifornia said:

We pressured Donovan Smith on virtually every play, and forced them into fourth downs consistently so we had lots of plays to run that stat up. Of course, what happened on fourth down was usually much less gruntling.

True, but I think Okie Lite has a better line, an for sure a better overall team, so let's hope this isn't an aberration and our defense is actually clicking all season. 

Trying to assess what the portal needs will be after 6 games:

Current Weaknesses: Edge/OLB

Expected significant losses:

RB: Bijan, Roschon

WR: Whittington

OL: Jones

DL: Coburn, Ojomo, Oghoufu, Sweat

LB: Overshown, Dorsey

DB: Jamison, Cook

Are we ok with a RB room of Keilan, Brooks, Blue, Baxter, and Wisner?

Neyor coming back along with returning talent and recruits should be fine at WR.

The young talent can likely serve as an upgrade over Jones.

I think we will need at least one DT and one Edge/LB from the portal.  There’s a lot of young talent on the DL and a couple of good recruits at LB, but we lose a lot of talent in Coburn and Overshown.

If everybody else comes back (Barron, Watts, etc.) combined with the recruits (especially if we get Toviano) then I think DB is fine.

So for now I think the shopping list will be short: an Edge to upgrade the position, a LB to replace Overshown, and a DT to replace Coburn.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

Neyor coming back along with returning talent and recruits should be fine at WR.

I think we will need at least one DT and one Edge/LB from the portal.  There’s a lot of young talent on the DL and a couple of good recruits at LB, but we lose a lot of talent in Coburn and Overshown.

If everybody else comes back (Barron, Watts, etc.) combined with the recruits (especially if we get Toviano) then I think DB is fine.

So for now I think the shopping list will be short: an Edge to upgrade the position, a LB to replace Overshown, and a DT to replace Coburn.

In order of importance Edge, LB, Edge, safety, DT, LB, RB, WR. Even if Neyor is back I think they still take one. Really we don’t need anything on offense from the portal if we stay healthy there. I would expect them to get some depth in case we aren’t healthy though. 

20 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

I would not be upset with another higher skill player, be it RB or WR, and add a seasoned big corner as well as a grad transfer 

I will take one Will Sheppard as a grad transfer to replace Whittington. No way this guy should still be at Vandy https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/will-sheppard-1.html

LB and WR would be my top 2 (I don’t want to count on Neyor being 100% right out of the gate or relying on freshman). DT would be close beyond but like was mentioned above we have a decent pipeline. Murphy, Collins and Broughton as the primary 3 interior guys is not too shabby.

As usual an edge rusher would be nice but every other team is saying the same thing. Demand far outweighs the supply.  

Other than that, it’s best player available and raising the talent level on the roster. I wouldn’t be upset with another safety or corner.

I think Ovie can come back next year if he wants. We need to bring in 2 interior DL. We signed 2 guys last cycle, and have 2 guys committed there thus far. We can't rely on their development for our big season next year. I really like Mitchell, but he won't be ready for major snaps next year. 

Edge will be hard to find, but if Ovie comes back and one of the 3 guys we brought in last year pops then we might be alright. We should still try to bring in a difference maker here if possible.

Linebacker is the second biggest need on defense because the play behind Overshown and Ford has been spotty at best. Maybe Burrell can be convinced to EE again, but even if he does we gotta find a top line guy at inside backer.

We could use another safety, but I like the way Crawford has looked so far. I also think the young DBs will make strides in the offseason.

Punter will be a big need with Trejo leaving, maybe Pearson finds himself, but we'll see.

On offense...maybe another deep threat WR as Neyor/Hall insurance? Gotta be ready in case Worthy goes down. I think we will have a number of suitors on campus ready to fill in for Whittington when he leaves, but hopefully they'll block as well as he does too.

Edited by Atticus

7 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Get Thompson and Hall into the passing attack for a couple games and I'll have a better feel for how hard we need to work the portal for a receiver. 

I'm of the opinion Texas definitely needs to add a WR transfer. The 3rd leading WR is Cain at under a 100 yards. The 2nd leading WR is gone (Whittingon) and Neyor is coming off a major injury. 

Wide receiver is a position Texas should be able to clean up in with Sark's offense. If there's a top level WR available, Texas should be all over that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Lol wut. That would be terrible. Neither Broughton or Collins have been good thsi tear. DT is absolutely a need unless the freshman come on like crazy. 

Bledsoe, Ross, and Swanson. I haven't heard anything about them but they all need to gain mass.

18 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Aaron Bryant was an early enrollee and came in at almost 310 pounds.

I also think someone like Sydir Mitchell will be able to come in and play some snaps (is he an early enrollee?).

I think Gerry said he is, I could be wrong

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Anyone who doesn't want Evan Stewart just because he's currently an aggy and a dumbass is fucking stupid. The kid is talented and we would love to have him on our roster. Same with Denver Harris. 

Theres a difference in throwing a fit as a prima donna, and endangering others lives. 

Just now, BornAndRaised said:

Theres a difference in throwing a fit as a prima donna, and endangering others lives. 

I agree he made a fucking dumbass decision possibly endangering lives with that fucking stunt. I hope he learned from it and his head is in a better place. Doesn't mean he doesn't deserve  a second chance. Don't forget Sergio Kindle wrecking an apartment complex. 

1 minute ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I agree he made a fucking dumbass decision possibly endangering lives with that fucking stunt. I hope he learned from it and his head is in a better place. Doesn't mean he doesn't deserve  a second chance. Don't forget Sergio Kindle wrecking an apartment complex. 

I guess I can agree that if he received proper reprimand for this, then I could see giving him a 2nd chance. I personally just don't see Jimbo having the nuts or know how to control that team. I'll concede people deserve a second chance, though the fact he was suspended for sneaking out before a game AFTER that video doesn't speak well to him maturing at all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BornAndRaised said:

I guess I can agree that if he received proper reprimand for this, then I could see giving him a 2nd chance. I personally just don't see Jimbo having the nuts or know how to control that team. I'll concede people deserve a second chance, though the fact he was suspended for sneaking out before a game AFTER that video doesn't speak well to him maturing at all.

I do agree with you, but he's a kid who now has money and Jimbo doesn't know how to control a team/player. Just like at FSU he allows them to do/say whatever the fuck they want. I HOPE of Harris went elsewhere (here, wherever) a coach can get through to him. He could be a lost cause, but I do think most of it is NIL, 18 years old, and Jimbo being a pussy who doesn't have the balls to stand up to a player(s). He literally has nothing because these kids own him after they were purchased. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Just looking at the RB room your not replacing a Bijan and Roschon. But man J Brooks and Keilan in their limited roles look very good then with Baxter coming, I think our RB room will be just fine. 
Not to mention our O-Line will probably be the best unit on the field most games. Our running game could be . . . SHEESH 😩

Edited by D3zii

Also Cook has been bad ass this season laying hat!!! I wish he had another season to solidify him as a top player at safety but I’m sure he’ll get picked up in the draft (rookie FA for sure) 

I believe Crawford will plug in just fine maybe even adding more athleticism to the back end while having a year under his belt to know the defense , but he’s been looking better and better each week back their 

Edited by D3zii

1 hour ago, BornAndRaised said:

Harris also hasn’t shown anything that would make us pay him what he’d want to transfer. Stewart has as of last night. He looked great and showed he actually has some hands. 

Whittington made it clear he's only here for 4 years. 

Out RB room will still be filthy with J Brooks (who will be fucking awesome)

Blue (who will finally show out why he was at one time the #1 RB recruit in the country until he sat out his senior season and the services dinged him for it)

Baxter - who will be fucking disgusting 

K-Rob who we've already seen be dirty af

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2023 Transfer Thread - Bend Over and I’ll Show You