2023 Transfer Thread - Texas Capitalized, ATM Victimized

54 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Any chance Sweat would come back?  Believe he still would have another year and could technically be a starter with Coburn and Ojomo starting this year.  Maybe to improve his draft stock?

Not a chance, Sweat is playing himself into day 2 consideration right now. Same with Coburn.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, bluto said:

Dumb question it seems but why is Whittington gone next yr? He’s a RS jr right?

He's not going to risk another injury by staying.  He's gone through so many rehabs - so he's giving himself one more year (this year).  If he stays healthy and gets drafted then that's great.  But if he suffers another injury I think he hangs up the cleats.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Any chance Sweat would come back?  Believe he still would have another year and could technically be a starter with Coburn and Ojomo starting this year.  Maybe to improve his draft stock?

I think we're going to just have to be thankful that Murphy isn't draft eligible.

PFF is just one rating service - but according to them Texas has 4 DL graded in the top 21 of Power 5 DL.  3 are in the top 13.

image.png.95ef88fca0882f1d5466060e47219ac9.png

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
filtered by snap count to get rid of players who had only played limited snaps
  • Hook 'Em 3

50 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

He's not going to risk another injury by staying.  He's gone through so many rehabs - so he's giving himself one more year (this year).  If he stays healthy and gets drafted then that's great.  But if he suffers another injury I think he hangs up the cleats.

I saw him get up slow after a reception on the sidelines. 

I was like " here we go"  

But he walked it off thank got

There is a lot of talk about the portal in this Inside Texas video from Sunday night. The bottom line is that Gerry, Eric, and Bobby expect a heavier focus on defense than offense this year, with a real need for a DT, LB, and a safety. As for DE they think maybe we have enough young talent. They expect to take a kick-ass WR too.

Bottom line is they anticipate taking a handful of difference makers as the team gets ready for what could be/should be a playoff year.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

Definitely need a mature, 320 lb+ DT whose specialty is stopping the run and plugging up the middle of the line. 

Would love to find this year's version of John Ridgeway in the portal.

We also have a JUCO offer out to a pretty big DT that has all the SEC offers, but I haven't seen anything about him in 2023 thread.

https://247sports.com/player/elijah-davis-46086007/

• Like 1

Not a chance, Sweat is playing himself into day 2 consideration right now. Same with Coburn.

Still have a tough time believing this, but here’s a mock draft from last week with Coburn going in the first round.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2023-nfl-mock-draft-houston-texans-cj-stroud-chicago-bears-bryce-young
  • Hook 'Em 3

51 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Still have a tough time believing this, but here’s a mock draft from last week with Coburn going in the first round.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2023-nfl-mock-draft-houston-texans-cj-stroud-chicago-bears-bryce-young

Wow on Coburn. I just don't see it. 

I LOVE that draft for the Texans. 

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Coburn is having a big year and you cannot teach that kind of size. I wouldn't draft him, but he's basically finally living up to his recruiting ranking, so it's not absurd.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

There were several threads on Tiger Droppings that were removed, suggesting that Harold Perkins did not play in the Tennessee game because of disciplinary issues. The threads also mentioned that the rumor is he is unhappy and may look to portal. Would the Horns have any interest?

11 minutes ago, Tony Two K said:

There were several threads on Tiger Droppings that were removed, suggesting that Harold Perkins did not play in the Tennessee game because of disciplinary issues. The threads also mentioned that the rumor is he is unhappy and may look to portal. Would the Horns have any interest?

Seth Meyers Reaction GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Those pff mocks are done to promote their player grades. They’re usually way off. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

If the number is 5 then my guess would be 1 WR, 1 DL, 2 LB, and a P.

Gerry's number is not inclusive of the Milton/Tucker Dorsey types who can help with depth but wouldn't be starting position upgrades. The total portal number could be in the 7-9 range if the numbers entering the portal are as large nationally as they are expected.

1 hour ago, mvlonghorns said:

I listened to Gerry talk on the IT recruiting round up from earlier today and it sounds like the staff already has a WR and DT in mind they are gonna go after in the portal, which is good to hear.

They're spitballing and do not have anyone specific that they "know" the staff is going to go after/have ready to simply join UT without shopping around. 

Supposedly the big national names that are viewed as probable by all staffs right now, and it's early, are Burden and Evan Stewart. ATM is also expected to lose a few of the DLs and probably won't care if they keep the rest and add Hicks. Card will garner strong attention if he chooses to transfer after getting his McCombs degree. Every school in the country not named Clemson will go after Burden. I'd bet on Ohio State for Burden and USC for Stewart. 

All of those are things I've heard really recently. Anyone got any others?

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Gerry's number is not inclusive of the Milton/Tucker Dorsey types who can help with depth but wouldn't be starting position upgrades. The total portal number could be in the 7-9 range if the numbers entering the portal are as large nationally as they are expected.

They're spitballing and do not have anyone specific that they "know" the staff is going to go after/have ready to simply join UT without shopping around. 

Supposedly the big national names that are viewed as probable by all staffs right now, and it's early, are Burden and Evan Stewart. ATM is also expected to lose a few of the DLs and probably won't care if they keep the rest and add Hicks. Card will garner strong attention if he chooses to transfer after getting his McCombs degree. Every school in the country not named Clemson will go after Burden. I'd bet on Ohio State for Burden and USC for Stewart. 

I haven't heard anything, but considering how much $ they've been throwing around, I could see Stewart in Knoxville. 

Seems like the addition of the Bobby Merritt guy for portal scouting is to not only scout and identify the obvious guys at other P5 program, but to also try to get ahead of the game on some of the guys from smaller programs who are studs and enter the portal but the rest of the country doesn't know much about. Florida State beat everyone else to the punch on Jared Verse. Those are the type of guys you want to have at least some info on the minute they pop up.

I think the new shorter portal window and the fact we won't be needing to try to upgrade almost all our positions (like last year coming off of 5-7 when we had so many holes) should play to our advantage. Focus attention and resources towards the 2-3 obvious positional needs and be ready to strike.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Any idea what our salary cap number is on portal spending?  This should be an off season where we spend big money on defense. The offense is going to be fucking awesome next year, and having Arch in a break glass in case of emergency situation means even if Ewers gets got for a game or two we still should be able to be plenty fine offensively. But, we need a freak on the edge, at least one solid LB, a difference maker in the secondary and you should be looking at a pretty legitimate chance to play in the playoffs and maybe win it all. 
I’m not a big advocate on spending a lot of money to be average or good, but I am a fan of shoving your chips in when you have a legit chance to win it all. I hope we spend on difference makers defensively. If we want to snag a can’t miss War as well, ok I guess, but this offense is going to be so special. 

I'll be interested to see how things shake out at RB and if the need could possibly arise for a one-year rental type guy (maybe a bigger bruising type back) assuming Bijan and Roschon move on. Baxter will likely be the biggest back we have once he arrives at 210-215ish. Keilan (if he returns which I assume he will) seems like someone you just keep in his current role as more of speciality player. We obviously know Brooks has flashed so he should be able to take a bigger role. Not sure what to expect from Blue and Wisner is probably going to redshirt. 

Maybe I'm just nitpicking but just a lot of unknowns at that position when it comes to dudes with actual game experience headed into next year. 

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I'll be interested to see how things shake out at RB and if the need could possibly arise for a one-year rental type guy (maybe a bigger bruising type back) assuming Bijan and Roschon move on. Baxter will likely be the biggest back we have once he arrives at 210-215ish. Keilan (if he returns which I assume he will) seems like someone you just keep in his current role as more of speciality player. We obviously know Brooks has flashed so he should be able to take a bigger role. Not sure what to expect from Blue and Wisner is probably going to redshirt. 

Maybe I'm just nitpicking but just a lot of unknowns at that position when it comes to dudes with actual game experience headed into next year. 

You are correct! You are definitely picking nits... 

Besides Burden who I assume we will buy a lottery ticket for, some other receivers I could see entering the portal looking for a an upgrade in location are Kevin Coleman (JSU/Deion) and Tetairoa McMillan (Arizona). McMillan is having a really solid true freshman campaign, but I can't imagine the NIL opportunities at Arizona can compete with bigger programs.

We also need to make sure we have our ducks in a row for playing NIL defense.  Kelvin Banks is going to get quite a sizeable NIL offer.  I'm sure his preference will be to stay here, but he's a franchise LT with 2 years of eligibility.  They're going to come for him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Gary Bryant Jr. will likely be a solid option for a one year "prove it" season. Stewart's connections on the team could make it hard for Sark to resist, but the kid has terrible vibes written all over him.

Others to consider are Nathaniel Dell (if he doesn't go pro), Jordan Hudson (once Kelly leaves), and Tyrese Chambers

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Any idea what our salary cap number is on portal spending?  This should be an off season where we spend big money on defense. The offense is going to be fucking awesome next year, and having Arch in a break glass in case of emergency situation means even if Ewers gets got for a game or two we still should be able to be plenty fine offensively. But, we need a freak on the edge, at least one solid LB, a difference maker in the secondary and you should be looking at a pretty legitimate chance to play in the playoffs and maybe win it all. 
I’m not a big advocate on spending a lot of money to be average or good, but I am a fan of shoving your chips in when you have a legit chance to win it all. I hope we spend on difference makers defensively. If we want to snag a can’t miss War as well, ok I guess, but this offense is going to be so special. 

34 minutes ago, RabidM said:

We also need to make sure we have our ducks in a row for playing NIL defense.  Kelvin Banks is going to get quite a sizeable NIL offer.  I'm sure his preference will be to stay here, but he's a franchise LT with 2 years of eligibility.  They're going to come for him. 

We're going to have to spend big money on offense to keep X and Banks.

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

I feel like JT could play the big back role in short yardage. Or just put him in the wildcat and run power.

Edited by MuellerHorn

8 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Remember those Mock drafts with Cosmi and Connor Williams? Good times. Mock drafts are click-bait bullshit, but that's cool that he's being mentioned. I still believe he'll go round 2-3 

9 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

You forgot S. Anthony Cook has a COVID year, but he's looking like a late round draft pick.

Hopefully Billingsley comes back, too. That would be dope 

1 hour ago, Atticus said:

Gary Bryant Jr. will likely be a solid option for a one year "prove it" season. Stewart's connections on the team could make it hard for Sark to resist, but the kid has terrible vibes written all over him.

Others to consider are Nathaniel Dell (if he doesn't go pro), Jordan Hudson (once Kelly leaves), and Tyrese Chambers

I was thinking more like Isiah Neyor - a small school guy who put up big numbers and is looking to take a step up in competition for his last season or two.

Tyrin Smith out of UTEP or Ashtyn Hawkins at Texas St. are two 'local' guys who have put up big numbers in their second seasons.

20 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

Tyrin has been great at pulling the top off the defense. Isn’t Neylor coming back to help take some of the burden off of Worthy on that, though?

As long as he's not hampered like Omeire, he should come back and then we're cooking to go alone with Breenen Thompson, Savion Redd, K-Rob, and Johntay Cook. Add in some more good transfers that will portal in, and we may have the best we room in the country. 

NYCKOLES HARBOR.

2 hours ago, RabidM said:

I don't think we'll fail to match, but I think there might be some sticker shock.  He might get QB type money offers. 

Oh for sure, he’s the second most important player on this team next year. He’ll get whatever he wants before we spend a dime on anyone else.

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2023 Transfer Thread - Bend Over and I’ll Show You