2023 Transfer Thread - Texas Capitalized, ATM Victimized

closetojumping

12 hours ago, RabidM said:

I don't think we'll fail to match, but I think there might be some sticker shock.  He might get QB type money offers. 

It’s an interesting question. I know with Worthy, USC tried to money whip. But in general, I wouldn’t think teams like Texas or USC or tOSU are going to try to induce starters from Alabama and Georgia to transfer. That seems like an insane waste of resources that would drive up prices to unsustainable levels. OTOH, it would be a great way to fuck with teams. You could easily kill the budgets of Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, and A&M just by offering crazy dollars to their starters. If they stayed with their current team, they would be budget killers.

Edited by Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

One complete unknown for me is how much of Texas’ NIL resources are going to be taken up by retaining current players.  If every player is essentially a free agent every year, it sure seems like spending could get out of hand in a hurry.  My worry is if we are giving 9 figure deals to every one of our players who makes an all-conference team, the money will eventually run out and there may be less for recruits and portal adds.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

One complete unknown for me is how much of Texas’ NIL resources are going to be taken up by retaining current players.  If every player is essentially a free agent every year, it sure seems like spending could get out of hand in a hurry.  My worry is if we are giving 9 figure deals to every one of our players who makes an all-conference team, the money will eventually run out and there may be less for recruits and portal adds.

Yeah, it seems like long term, this chaotic, lack of control “system” will fail.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

If the money runs out for us, it runs out for other schools way before. The system is borked but I am not worried that Texas will be getting the shaft. Schools will probably have to use a more NFL approach to decide who gets the money.

QB, OT, Edge, WR, CB, DT, RB, TE, S, LB

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, LebongJames said:

If the money runs out for us, it runs out for other schools way before. The system is borked but I am not worried that Texas will be getting the shaft. Schools will probably have to use a more NFL approach to decide who gets the money.

QB, OT, Edge, WR, CB, DT, RB, TE, S, LB

I think over time it’ll shake out in Texas’ favor. I expect the rules to change to tamper the chaos; even if they don’t Texas resources will outstrip all others, like you said.  But in the short term there may be a period where there’s a combination of other teams spending beyond their resources, players operating with false/incomplete info, and Texas not having their NIL operations totally refined yet.  That could all combine to Texas’ detriment.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The good news is that everyone is facing the same problems. There will ultimately be an equilibrium sought naturally and the well-heeled elites will hover around that. Corporate NIL will also be a big differentiator and that works in UT's favor as well. If you're wondering about things for this offseason, Texas NIL is very aware of the need for 3 buckets of capital - one for retention, one for recruiting, one for acquiring within the portal. The belief is that both December and May (I guess April now?) are critical in this regard.

The portal is more complicated than recruiting, simply because the factors for an established player are different. A QB or LT leaving a team that is expected to contend for a national title while they're projecting individually into early round slots is going to have a hard time leaving even if the NIL isn't comparable to someone else.

So if you look at Banks, he'd have to want to go somewhere and learn a new system, be confident that he will start, that the program will be in the spotlight, and all the while learning a new campus and social life. He's going to do that when he's getting plenty of $$ at Texas, on a 1st round trajectory, the program appears headed upward, and the team is constantly in the national spotlight, especially as it heads towards the SEC in his junior season? 

In 2024, Texas gets Michigan at home in week 2, will play OU in the Cotton Bowl, will be playing ATM, Arkansas, and some of Georgia, LSU, Bama, Tenn, Florida. They will be on the national stage constantly. Every JR worth a fuck will have multiple chances to elevate their NFL prospects in ways almost no other school can offer. 

The expanded playoff happening more sooner than later will be a boon for teams working within the portal who are also playoff contenders. I think it also helps limit their exposure to poachers.

Regarding Banks, I’d also throw in that at Texas he is being coached by Kyle Flood, a guy with a proven track record of putting guys in the NFL. That narrows down his options if he looks around as well. He doesn’t want to end up under the tutelage of a Herb Hand type somewhere else. 

• Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

Regarding Banks, I’d also throw in that at Texas he is being coached by Kyle Flood, a guy with a proven track record of putting guys in the NFL. That narrows down his options if he looks around as well. He doesn’t want to end up under the tutelage of a Herb Hand type somewhere else. 

That nice and mentally stable OL corch in College Station who also has a long and distinguished track record of caring about the health and welfare of his players scares you to death.

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Redneck Mutha said:

That nice and mentally stable OL corch in College Station who also has a long and distinguished track record of caring about the health and welfare of his players scares you to death.

If Banks is a just a guy who wants to be a dude, then what’s better than that?

• Haha 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2023 Transfer Thread - Get Your Money Right
19 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Saw talk on another board looking like Michigan State.

Leaving because of alleged disciplinary issues.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/uw/2022/10/13/wisconsins-logan-brown-announces-transfer-after-incident-practice/10485097002/

I could be wrong, but he is no longer listed on the Wisconsin Football program's website.

40 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Younger brother of former Longhorn grad transfer Parker Braun. 

The 6-foot-6, 351-pound Braun started in 7 of 13 games for the Gators at left and right guard in 2021. But it was clear he was not in first-year coach Billy Napier's plans for 2022. Braun appeared in just two of seven games for Florida this season and did not play despite an injury to starting right guard O'Cyrus Torrence.

1 hour ago, BornAndRaised said:

"Snitch" would imply someone is cheating.  Just sounds like whining to me.  It's not even bad whining, mostly frustration that I don't blame him for.  Is there anything illegal (or even shady) about a collective going to a collegiate player and showing them how much $ they could make with NIL playing for a high profile program like x (ie not utah)?  I don't like the dynamic, but I believe it's fair game under current rules (maybe I'm wrong on that?).  Yes, everyone understands that it's ultimately an indirect inducement to play at a certain place, but it's within the rules as long as it's structured properly (as I understand it).  Either push to revise the rules or learn how to play the game.  If that Utah AD called me (as the AD of the other school) and asked me to reach out to the collective to "back off", I'd nicely tell him that the collective isn't under my control and this is just how things work under the current rules.        

“Offered…over a million dollars to pull him over to another team” is not “indirect” inducement, it is plain inducement.  Which, whatever you think the consequences will actually be, is against the NIL rules as written.  I don’t think anyone here finds the idea of directly tampering with opposing players who have not entered the portal appealing or noble.  But it may very well encourage a race to the bottom if there are no consequences and the behavior continues.

Hiroshima-style carpet bombing the other Texas schools with leaflets advertising how much the average O-Lineman gets paid at UT would be more of an indirect inducement.

16 minutes ago, Professor Chesney said:

“Offered…over a million dollars to pull him over to another team” is not “indirect” inducement, it is plain inducement.

I'm guessing that is someone's interpretation of what happened, I doubt the $ folks were dumb enough to be that direct.  Regardless of how it went down in the Utah case, I think it's fair to say that many of these NIL deals (recruiting, retention, or portal) are obviously indirect inducement that fall within the current rules.  I don't like it, but the box is open and I don't see a clear way to regulate it.  It's too grey/subjective.  If a company CEO pushes for a lucrative NIL deal for a recruit or transfer, is it inducement if that CEO is a Texas Ex?  If the company only does business in central TX and will only give NIL deals for kids playing at Texas, is that just smart business or is that inducement?  Unless they find a way to put up some guard rails, I'm of the opinion that you play the game (within the rules) as aggressively as possible.  Get the best lawyers and put strong oversight in place.  I don't think this current NIL model is sustainable long term, but watching the world pass you by while "trying to be noble" will be a losing approach.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2023 Transfer Thread - Bend Over and I’ll Show You