2023 Transfer Thread - Texas Capitalized, ATM Victimized

closetojumping

2 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

Was really expecting to wake up to about 3-4 new pages with news from a Midnight Madness style rush last night. 

Correct me if I am wrong but compliance departments have 48 hours to actually put the name in the portal as coaches try to talk them out of it. So we are only getting names of kids that don't care about any counter offers. In the 90's a read a study that people that stay at a job after a counter offer are usually gone within 6 to 10 months anyway because companies are just trying to buy time and will replace the person as soon as they can do so. I think that is going to apply with coaches.

• Like 1

I’m upset.  We’ve been in the wild west of portal season for twelve whole hours and nothing interesting has happened yet.  I was told there would be chaos.  I want to see Colorado’s entire two-deep enter the portal.  I want A&M’s QB room to transfer to Wyoming.  I want to see some DIII school pay Georgia’s 5th string linebacker a million dollars to destroy lesser players.

It’s my portal season and I want it NOW!

1 minute ago, Fumbles said:

I’m upset.  We’ve been in the wild west of portal season for twelve whole hours and nothing interesting has happened yet.  I was told there would be chaos.  I want to see Colorado’s entire two-deep enter the portal.  I want A&M’s QB room to transfer to Wyoming.  I want to see some DIII school pay Georgia’s 5th string linebacker a million dollars to destroy lesser players.

Coaches don't have to put names in the portal for 48 hours after notification. And today is the beginning of the negotiation window so I would assume threats are being made and offers are being made internally first

1 minute ago, Fumbles said:

Be gone blueberry...

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

IT Scoop:

exPorts

We’re only watching for 2-3 more current Texas players to enter the portal, none of which would be a surprise. That does not mean there won’t be a surprise portal entrant, we just aren’t currently expecting one. That ever so slightly includes wide receiver Xavier Worthy…for now. While high level sources remain in wait-and-see mode on the talented receiver, sources closer to the ground simply don’t think he’s actually going to leave. Cautious optimism is probably the best posture. 

We also checked in on Worthy’s partner in crime, Jahdae Barron. Barron had a breakout season and is set for as big of a senior season as Jaylan Ford and potentially others like T’Vondre Sweat and Jerrin Thompson. Barron’s in the same boat as Worthy, with people on the ground stating flatly he’s not going anywhere.

We checked on Alfred Collins just out of diligence. We’ve never heard anything substantial about him potentially leaving but we’ve seen a rumor or two pop up on the board. He’s definitely expected back, and frankly concern never seemed justified. 

A holdover theme from last year’s reporting is players just don’t want to leave Texas. They’ll only do so when it’s obviously in their best interest. 

imPorts

Texas is set to lose at least 7 players to transfer and the staff is currently looking to balance that trade deficit. As you know, the portal officially started accepting names this morning and things are whirring, though we have yet to see one of the names we’ve been waiting on. That could change at any minute, even by the time this is published. 

Assuming Worthy does stay that relieves some pressure to find a difference maker at receiver, which is good because we haven’t seen that sort of player declare yet. However, there are a number of good, complementary options at the position who Texas “likes.”

One thing to watch for is a player who isn’t necessarily at a need position but could allow the coaches the flexibility to move pieces to a need position. File that note away.

We have word on some good players who may enter; random names you’ve never heard and very common names the board has discussed for years. Today and the following days are all about who will enter. A good Edge (Buck), a good receiver, a good defensive back, a good defensive lineman, etc. All guaranteed good college players and likely NFL players. But will they make the jump? If they do, we’ll make clear how firmly those players are on the Texas board.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

ROACH

Three portal names I'm tracking right now

We will try to drop some quick updates throughout the name but here are three guys I'm checking on.

Fentrell Cypress II - DB - Virginia

Graduate transfer and PFF First Team All-ACC this past year. Excellent academic prospect who should value education at his next stop. Have heard there's been some early interest from the Longhorns.

Dasan McCullough - EDGE - Indiana

Former Top 100 prospect in the 2021 class who visited Texas several times. Oklahoma has an early edge and his father is on staff at Notre Dame. I believe Texas will be involved.

Mumu Bin-Wahad - CB - West Virginia

Texas was involved with him down the stretch last season but backed off once they knew they were getting Terrance Brooks. Close with several members of the Texas roster. Played in three games this year so he should retain his redshirt.

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yeah it definitely wasn't throwing 49 times passing vs Oklahoma state or 39 times vs TCU.

Texas didnt have a QB on the roster capable of carrying the team by throwing 40 times. Any thought of that is just make believe. Texas hasnt won a game where it attempted 32 pass in over 2 years. 

Edited by Codaxx

4 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Former Top 100 prospect in the 2021 class who visited Texas several times. Oklahoma has an early edge and his father is on staff at Notre Dame. I believe Texas will be involved.

OU is having trouble raising NIL funds and with his father at ND this shouldn't be too big a worry. Anybody familiar with NDs NIL and/or ease of transfer? 

18 minutes ago, Getafix said:

ROACH

Three portal names I'm tracking right now

We will try to drop some quick updates throughout the name but here are three guys I'm checking on.

Fentrell Cypress II - DB - Virginia

Graduate transfer and PFF First Team All-ACC this past year. Excellent academic prospect who should value education at his next stop. Have heard there's been some early interest from the Longhorns.

Mumu Bin-Wahad - CB - West Virginia

Texas was involved with him down the stretch last season but backed off once they knew they were getting Terrance Brooks. Close with several members of the Texas roster. Played in three games this year so he should retain his redshirt.

I'm not sure I've ever seen Roach "report" something on recruiting that you couldn't find from just browsing on Surly. It's definitely better than just making shit up like FCB or Ketch but he is really useless at his job.