2023 Transfer Thread - Texas Capitalized, ATM Victimized

Feels like he should have a decent enough shot here, though.  I mean he certainly would have helped this year. 
I guess it's not ideal for an OL to see how things shake out in spring ball, and if his injury is lingering, that changes the math.
Two FR and a SO that we're pushing him before the injury. Those 3 will probably be a little ahead after the offseason/spring.

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I mean, a punter's not like a lineman that needs a bunch of reps to build cohesion with teammates. If we do a rental every year for a while, that's totally fine.

30 million people in Texas including about 600 thousand high school seniors every year, many of whom are growing up and playing soccer, and out of all of those there's not a one who can punt a football worth a flip?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I mean, a punter's not like a lineman that needs a bunch of reps to build cohesion with teammates. If we do a rental every year for a while, that's totally fine.

Yeah, a transfer would be great if you could guarantee one. But, bringing in someone unproven (like an Aussie) would be a pretty big risk if there are no backups. In other words, I am not so sure about getting a one year rental every year. That's kind of playing with fire. And we would still need a backup in case the punter gets injured.

16 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Yeah, a transfer would be great if you could guarantee one. But, bringing in someone unproven (like an Aussie) would be a pretty big risk if there are no backups. In other words, I am not so sure about getting a one year rental every year. That's kind of playing with fire. And we would still need a backup in case the punter gets injured.

We have a backup this season - Will Stone.  I'm guessing they'll recruit a P in 2024.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, texifornia said:

31 minutes ago, Bevo said:

The #1 problem with Aussies is their complete lack of experience punting (American football style) with any kind of pressure. 

Pro Kick Australia is going to have to adapt some training elements that translate directly to American Football.

Also, no reason to pick up a one year rental at punter. Punters can show their stuff at FBS, FCS, and lower levels in their freshman and/or sophomore year(s) and then transfer in. As long as your blockers are on par with the opponents rushers, you’re going to show what you can do with rushers and limited time. 

I would think that Punters & Kickers at Power 5 schools are over 50% transfers by 2025. 

4 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

The #1 problem with Aussies is their complete lack of experience punting (American football style) with any kind of pressure. 

Pro Kick Australia is going to have to adapt some training elements that translate directly to American Football.

Also, no reason to pick up a one year rental at punter. Punters can show their stuff at FBS, FCS, and lower levels in their freshman and/or sophomore year(s) and then transfer in. As long as your blockers are on par with the opponents rushers, you’re going to show what you can do with rushers and limited time. 

I would think that Punters & Kickers at Power 5 schools are over 50% transfers by 2025. 

The Aussie’s problem wasn’t punting the ball.  It was catching the snap in front of 100,000 people.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

@closetojumping I have a question and if you can’t answer I understand. Just trying to see if what the kids are saying has some legs. 

is the Edge/DE that was suppose to enter the portal that Texas felt good about, from the DFW metroplex? 

No, it’s from way way further out of left field 

The guy I was referencing hasn't portaled and, frankly, that's fine. IT alluded recently to a DE project that the staff was on for a bit that no longer probably makes roster sense. That's likely the same guy. I don't want to make my friends look stupid or leaky, so I'm sitting this one out on the name, but you guys should chalk it up as a nothingburger. 

https://247sports.com/Player/Christian-Roland-Wallace-46056115/

This past season, Roland-Wallace started all 12 games at cornerback during his fourth season with the Arizona Wildcats. He recorded career-highs in total tackles (58), solo tackles (42), and assisted tackles (16) and made a career-best six pass breakups and forced a career-high two fumbles.

• Hook 'Em 1