2023 Transfer Thread - Texas Capitalized, ATM Victimized

closetojumping

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

So about that linebacker portal recruiting....

So about that edge/EDGE/eDgE/edGE/EDge portal recruiting...

So about that WR portal recruiting...

LB yes - we have Ford (Maybe?), Hill coming in with other real talent that will need time to develop, then our existing JAGS - need a few

edge/EDGE/eDgE/edGE/EDge - no clue. We have 15+ people that fit the profile and keep recruiting this position ala Billy Walton's of the world. I don't understand this position difference from a LB. We have almost 20% of our roster devoted to not the right people for it or our coaches are as clueless as I am on what they want here. A tall, fast, ~230 player? No idea, but it's not working.

WR - big need. Let X go imo. Put that NIL to work on larger known pass catchers. Hope Neyor heals up. 

5 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

If Worthy tries to shake us down for more money, it’s probably for the best if we let him go enjoy sunny Southern California. Sark’s insistence on designing the entire passing game around such a limited receiver has cost us multiple games now. Like taking a bottle of Jack Daniels away from an alcoholic, Worthy leaving might improve our overall offense. 

Absolutely, perfectly stated. His effort is not positive for the WR room (on field).  I hope Cook will redefine WR effort for us. 

23 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Sark’s insistence on designing the entire passing game around such a limited receiver

It’s impossible to know without being in the QB room, but I am curious how much of it is Sark calling plays for Worthy versus Ewers just deciding to throw it to Worthy pre-snap. There’s been a lot of plays this year where it looks like Ewers just decided to throw it Worthy regardless of what the defense does or who the play is designed for, especially some of those go routes where it doesn’t look like Worthy is the designed first option, but Ewers throws it to him within 2 seconds without looking at any other receiver. 

• Hook 'Em 5

9 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

It’s impossible to know without being in the QB room, but I am curious how much of it is Sark calling plays for Worthy versus Ewers just deciding to throw it to Worthy pre-snap. There’s been a lot of plays this year where it looks like Ewers just decided to throw it Worthy regardless of what the defense does or who the play is designed for, especially some of those go routes where it doesn’t look like Worthy is the designed first option, but Ewers throws it to him within 2 seconds without looking at any other receiver. 

Why not both?

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Why are you a potato? 

I said it was both, but it’s a question of how much of the blame is on Sark versus Ewers for over targeting Worthy. 

tbh i didn't read anything after your first two sentences. 

But I'll chalk it up as Sark is shit.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

If Worthy tries to shake us down for more money, it’s probably for the best if we let him go enjoy sunny Southern California. Sark’s insistence on designing the entire passing game around such a limited receiver has cost us multiple games now. Like taking a bottle of Jack Daniels away from an alcoholic, Worthy leaving might improve our overall offense. 

Might be the time to educate the players on the harsh realities of a free market system and how it works both ways for buyers and sellers. If Worthy has any sense, he will keep quiet and hope whatever current deals he has roll over into next year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

tbh i didn't read anything after your first two sentences. 

He only had two sentences, so you read it all.  And Burt has a valid point.  We need real portal options at WR.  Worthy isn't worth his NIL, whatever it is. He's become a broken crutch for this offense to feed him unnecessarily to the detriment of other WRs and JTSanders. Maybe Worthy comes on next year but he hasn't shown anything this year as a clutch #1.  Imagine Watts on him, bump off route never recovers or fights for the ball and it's 50/50 if he makes a well thrown catch other than a screen. 

But I'll chalk it up as Sark is shit.

Starting to wonder now. He recruits great, gives a great image for the program but seems to get lost in satisfying certain players. We desperately need a few larger bodied, experienced WRs via portal.  Cook can take the X role.  Pair him with a Neyor type body that catches and JWitt. 

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I agree we need real portal players but this staff for whatever reason doesn't seem to recruit the portal well at all and seem to rely more on recruiting HS kids as if they've been established here and have all the time in the world.

So true, sir. We can hope though!

Audere est Facere

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

That’s certainly possible. I just keep thinking about that Oklahoma State game where Worthy was thrown to 20 plus times was it? If that was Ewers locking into Worthy, after the 8th/9th/10th attempt that’s on Sark for not pulling him aside and saying “you throw to Worthy one more fucking time I’m going to ritualistically shave your mullet at midfield tomorrow.” Since he didn’t do that and we even repeated that game plan against TCU, to me that says a lot of this is on Sark. 

10 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

Nice to see Campbell essentially splitting snaps with Hutson

Not that PFF grades are the end-all be-all, especially for OL, but Hutson was the lowest graded OL on Texas this season - and the second lowest graded in the Big12.  Campbell (he only played 20% as many snaps and much of those in garbage time) was the 4 highest graded overall on Texas and the highest graded pass-blocker.

*11 Bowl games not including playoffs left to go.  I look forward to the flood of talented players Texas has been waiting for, to hit the portal.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Update on where we are stand 25 days into the Dec/Jan 45 day portal window.  The portal closes on Jan 18th and will not open again until May 1.

Team needs are taken from the Inside Texas Portal Tracker:

QB (0)

RB (0)

WR (1-2)

Thus far, bupkis.  No offers reported.  No visits scheduled.  And our WR1 shit his pants on national television last night.  Casey Cain played pretty well though - so we got that going for us, which is nice.

TE (0)

OL (0)

DL (1)

No offers.  No visits.

LB (1)

No offers.  No visits.  Was reported that Texas did reach out to the Tulsa LB who ended up at OSU and the Stanford LB who transferred to Utah.

CB (1)

Texas very quickly identified, offered, and scheduled a visit for Gavin Holmes.  He committed, and a young but talented DB room just got better and more experienced.

S (1)

Texas offered and scheduled a visit for Safety Ja'had Carter shortly after the 6'2" Syracuse defender entered his name into the portal.  Unfortunately Ohio State was interested as well and appear to have taken the lead in his recruitment.

P (1)

We got the 4 yr Stanford punter to commit very shortly after entering the portal.  Jeff Banks and his monkey doing work.    

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, Scholz said:

I don’t know. I think it’s quite possible he was betting large on the Huskies last night.

He did say he was focused on the game,  nothing specific about what aspect he was focused on.

I predict he leaves Texas. If nothing else, he’s turned himself into a bit of a villain.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

He did say he was focused on the game,  nothing specific about what aspect he was focused on.

I predict he leaves Texas. If nothing else, he’s turned himself into a bit of a villain.

Quote from Nahlin (IT) just now:

Texas can’t go into next season with Worthy as its No. 1 option. He is too much of a crutch for Sark’s preferences, similar to Tom Herman’s reliance of hero-ball with Sam Ehlinger.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

After the second dropped deep ball, worthy should have been benched. If he can’t get it done give the next guy a chance. Set a precedent for the entire team that if you are not producing someone else gets a chance. If a player doesn’t like it he can get in the mutha fucker. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Boy WR has been a real problem for us for a couple years now. Last year was the worst War room in forever at Texas and this year wasn’t much better. When you consider how many good ones Texas produces every year it’s pretty brutal how bad we’ve been. 
I thought defense was the biggest source of need going into next year but I’m coming around to the idea that I’d spend all my money if needed on the right 2 WR to fix that room.  

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Fuck me running for having the same view as Nahlin. Sark cannot help himself wish casting Worthy as some sort of Davonte Smith. He needs to figure out what Worthy is good at and use him accordingly or we need to find different receivers. Jack Daniels has a time and place and Sark looks at the bottle at the dinner table and grabs it with both hands and turns it upside down thinking it’s an aged Bordeaux. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, hornlife said:

Worthy has shown he is fast once he has the ball in hand.  He hasn't shown anything else this year.  If he's going to hold UT to his NIL demands, move on.  Watch the play of OU Mims (sp?) or FSU that tall WR that did miss one TD throw but proved it for over 200 yards.  They may miss a few but give everything to try and had some spectacular catches that help their QB out.

That big FSU WR is a kid most of this board had no interest in coming out of high school because he was “big and slow”. People get so enamored with 40 and track times that they forget to care about if a dude can actually catch.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Fuck me running for having the same view as Nahlin. Sark cannot help himself wish casting Worthy as some sort of Davonte Smith. He needs to figure out what Worthy is good at and use him accordingly or we need to find different receivers. Jack Daniels has a time and place and Sark looks at the bottle at the dinner table and grabs it with both hands and turns it upside down thinking it’s an aged Bordeaux. 

The sad part is he doesn't use Worthy in nearly as many ways as he used Smith. I recall watching Bama game and Smith was motioned all over the place, out of the backfield, etc.

If Worthy comes back, I hope that performance with all eyes on him was humbling.  I have no doubt in his mind he thinks he's a top 2 round draft pick after next year and he's not close.  He's elite with the ball in his hands and route running within 15 yards, and great speed, but he's not anywhere close to a complete receiver.   I can't recall a starting WR we've had that is worse as tracking, adjusting to and catching a deep ball.  Dude better stop worrying about 6 figure NIL money and work his ass off this offseason if he wants to really get paid.

• Hook 'Em 2

lol at all the Casey Cain talk upthread. He is indisputably the best WR on the roster at the moment. Hopefully that won’t be the case at the Spring Game.

Regardless, looks like he will and should have a role over the next couple of years

*Edit: I’m interpreting JWhitt’s “Thank you everyone” Tweet as his “goodbye”

13 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

We need to hit the portal hard at WR simply so we don’t have to rely on this dude like this anymore. He can’t catch a deep ball for shit, but there aren’t many options currently on the roster.

There will plenty of options on the team next year. Nibblett, Cook, Thompson, Red, and Moore. All those guys are better than Cain, and probably Whittington as well.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I actually agree. After last night's performance, I don't think Worthy is a #1 WR. Going into this season we all assumed that Worthy would be the #1 WR with Neyor being the #2, but after seeing how this season played out despite Neyor missing the season, I think if Neyor was healthy he would've became the #1 WR.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

There will plenty of options on the team next year. Nibblett, Cook, Thompson, Red, and Moore. All those guys are better than Cain, and probably Whittington as well.

This is straight wishcasting. Thompson and Red showed us nothing this year. The other three guys haven't played a down of college football. It's certainly possible that Cook could have a breakout freshman season similar to Worthy. But that's all conjecture at this point, and in no way can we say definitively that any of them are better than Cain or Whittington.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Casey Cain still stands out from those other WRs becuz he's a bigger-bodied X WR, while those other guys are smaller Z & Slot WRs. After seeing how well Cain played in the bowl game, I still think he be a factor next season. Sark needs to bring in another bigger-bodied WR in the portal.

Edited by TheMailBox357
  • Fuck You 1

Devonte Smith can catch…. With his hands. Worthy can’t seem to do that at the moment.

We need someone to take the pressure off as the “#1” vertical threat and let Worthy operate underneath/on screens.

Not that I think he is the solution but the game could have been huge for Cains confidence. He is a big body that seems to catch with his hands (minus Iowa State…)

Neyor coming back would be huge. He should be fine from an ACL perspective by the start of the season. Troy O is not an apt comparison because the guy never possessed Neyor’s athleticism. 

QE looked good last night. Missed a couple throws a but would have had a video game stat line if our “best” recover could make fairly routine catches. Hopefully the game serves as spring board for him going into next year.

Edited by Fico
  • Hook 'Em 1

Please free up the Worthy NIL cash.  The big body WR works with a few fast guys that can and will catch the ball.  Git rid of Worthy, prima donna that is a clutch for Sark and this offense.  

Hello, WR portal to complement Cook. the 5'10" 160-170lb experiment is over.

Also, get a LB and big DT.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Watching to last night's OB post-game show and both Anwar & Ketch are claiming that BMDs texted them that are fine if Worthy transfers.

First of all, why? Second of all, it may be true that BMDs aren't gonna pony up more cash for a malcontent with the drops, but those chucklefucks aren't gonna be the dynamic duo to break that story. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

lol at all the Casey Cain talk upthread. He is indisputably the best WR on the roster at the moment. Hopefully that won’t be the case at the Spring Game.

Because of one game? Did you think Malcolm Williams was the best WR on the roster after the Tech game in 2008? We're talking about a kid with eight catches in 13 games.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Because of one game? Did you think Malcolm Williams was the best WR on the roster after the Tech game in 2008? We're talking about a kid with eight catches in 13 games.

Yeah, all the Casey Cain stuff might be just a bit premature. Let's not forget his occasionally astounding drops earlier in the season

• Hook 'Em 1

Well, if you assume Whittington is staying and Neyor is healthy then yeah, Cain is down the list. And it is within the realm of possibility that a RSF got better by the end of the season

First of all, why? Second of all, it may be true that BMDs aren't gonna pony up more cash for a malcontent with the drops, but those chucklefucks aren't gonna be the dynamic duo to break that story. 

I’m a S-to-MMD and I wouldn’t text those fucksticks to tell them their house was on fire.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2