2023 Transfer Thread - Texas Capitalized, ATM Victimized

closetojumping

2 hours ago, NevaLost said:

You are out of your mind if you think that any of the players you listed are guaranteed to be better than Whittington next year, much less all of them. 

Whittington is not an elite WR. He's a good #3, because he has no deep speed, is an average route runner, and has never shown elite hands. He's a good player but he's replaceable. Sorry if that hurts your feels, but he's not a guy that would be drafted this year, which is probably the news he got and why he's thinking about returning for another season.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, irishtexan said:

This is straight wishcasting. Thompson and Red showed us nothing this year. The other three guys haven't played a down of college football. It's certainly possible that Cook could have a breakout freshman season similar to Worthy. But that's all conjecture at this point, and in no way can we say definitively that any of them are better than Cain or Whittington.

And Whittington took 3 years to show us anything. You know who also showed us nothing last year; Jones, Sweat, Coburn, Ford, and a handful of other guys that the forum was ready to run off the team. You see there is this thing called improvement that comes from a staff that can develop talent. Given that Thompson and Red were developmental takes, they may take more than their freshmen years to show something. They have better athleticism than Whittington, so if the development happens they are going to be better WRs.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Looks like he may not have appreciated getting 0 PT last night.

I mean, he really hasn't shown much at all this year. But I'd probably be a little unhappy with not getting a shot when it was clear Keilan wasn't going to do anything (and Sark totally abandoning the run partly as a result of that, I assume)

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, campcrunk said:

I mean, he really hasn't shown much at all this year. But I'd probably be a little unhappy with not getting a shot when it was clear Keilan wasn't going to do anything (and Sark totally abandoning the run partly as a result of that, I assume)

If he does end up leaving, then Texas has to sign a portal back. Can't go into next year with Brooks, Baxter, and Wisner.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Watching to last night's OB post-game show and both Anwar & Ketch are claiming that BMDs texted them that are fine if Worthy transfers.

A BMD to them is a dumbass that donates more than ten bucks to them during their live YouTube shows. So since plenty of those idiots exist I guess they did get such info.

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

Blue leaving would be weird. Publicly he's been very gung-ho about Texas and looking forward to next year, all the way up until today. Sark also called him out this week as the FR who had matured the most this year. But yeah, the lack of snaps yesterday may be pissing him off.

8 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I am assuming our bizarre RB rotation last night had something to do with ensuring K Robinson comes back?

That was kind of my guess as well. I have a feeling Sark wanted to use this game as a springboard for next year more than he cared about winning the game itself (a lot of practice passing, played more young guys, the weird RB rotation, etc). Which I'd be ok with tbh.

36 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Whittington is not an elite WR. He's a good #3, because he has no deep speed, is an average route runner, and has never shown elite hands. He's a good player but he's replaceable. Sorry if that hurts your feels, but he's not a guy that would be drafted this year, which is probably the news he got and why he's thinking about returning for another season.

Great point. Three true freshman and two sophomores who did not combine for 70 receiving yards this year will surely all be better than the Whittington, who had 652 yards. 

Whittington is a good P5 starter - I'd be thrilled if more than one of the guys you listed is at that level next year.

• Hook 'Em 4

8 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

It’s impossible to know without being in the QB room, but I am curious how much of it is Sark calling plays for Worthy versus Ewers just deciding to throw it to Worthy pre-snap. There’s been a lot of plays this year where it looks like Ewers just decided to throw it Worthy regardless of what the defense does or who the play is designed for, especially some of those go routes where it doesn’t look like Worthy is the designed first option, but Ewers throws it to him within 2 seconds without looking at any other receiver. 

Agree, it looks like to me Ewers simply defaults to Worthy most of the time.

3 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Agree, it looks like to me Ewers simply defaults to Worthy most of the time.

Similar to what was posted a few posts ago, I wouldn't be surprised if Sark made a point of getting X the ball yesterday to try to keep him out of the portal.

Would've worked too if X's hands cooperated.

• Like 1

We ran 65 plays yesterday, 25 of which came in the 4th quarter after we were down 17 points. So 40 plays over 3 quarters to get everyone all the usual touches, which is not a lot. It was obvious from the jump that the gameplan centered around throwing the ball. I’m sure if the game flow allowed they would have been fine getting Blue some PT, but it didn’t happen. If that is what pushes him to the portal than he was never staying here long anyway.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, campcrunk said:

Hard to show much running behind a 3rd string OL.  And I disagree, he looks quite good to me, albeit in limited action.  If he grew up this season maturity-wise, enters the portal... he's going to make some program a damn good back.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, kwood4408 said:

Just saw a video on Twitter of all of the passes thrown to Worthy last night and damn it looked dramatically worse on video than live in the Alamodome. Several drops in addition to several balls that he made zero effort to catch.

He has done that the entire year and people continued to defend him. After last night it seems he has lost his supporters.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, TheMailBox357 said:

I actually agree. After last night's performance, I don't think Worthy is a #1 WR. Going into this season we all assumed that Worthy would be the #1 WR with Neyor being the #2, but after seeing how this season played out despite Neyor missing the season, I think if Neyor was healthy he would've became the #1 WR.

I could tell in the spring game that Neyor was going to be our WR1 had he not been injured. Quinn seemed to really favor him in his reads and Neyor caught everything and made guys miss after the fact. I really hope we get him back at close to 100% for fall camp. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NevaLost said:

Great point. Three true freshman and two sophomores who did not combine for 70 receiving yards this year will surely all be better than the Whittington, who had 652 yards. 

Whittington is a good P5 starter - I'd be thrilled if more than one of the guys you listed is at that level next year.

Like I said, if they develop, they will be better than Whittington because they are better athletes than Whittington. Whittington is not a home run threat, Thompson is, Nibblett is, Cook may be, Moore may be. It's like you fail to see that Whittington was successful because of Sarkisian scheming him open. Given the same opportunities that Whittington got, I feel the younger WRs we have would have more than 1 TD. They all outproduced freshman Whittington.

2 hours ago, kwood4408 said:

Just saw a video on Twitter of all of the passes thrown to Worthy last night and damn it looked dramatically worse on video than live in the Alamodome. Several drops in addition to several balls that he made zero effort to catch.

The most egregious one in my opinion was the first deep ball in the first quarter. Quinn threw a nice high ball, and Worthy just looked back at it as it hit him in the feet. No attempt at any kind to alter his route or decelerate like a back shoulder throw would require. He didn't even throw a hand out to fake like he was going for it. Just a shrug and a slow jog back to the huddle. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

The most egregious one in my opinion was the first deep ball in the first quarter. Quinn threw a nice high ball, and Worthy just looked back at it as it hit him in the feet. No attempt at any kind to alter his route or decelerate like a back shoulder throw would require. He didn't even throw a hand out to fake like he was going for it. Just a shrug and a slow jog back to the huddle. 

Unfortunately we were sitting at the other end of the field and it was hard to tell on some of the other drops but that one was at worst a PI penalty with any type of effort to get to the ball.

Yeah that’s just a “season’s over, see you next year” type tweet. Pretty tone deaf though 
Not really, his profile pic is still in full Texas battle armor and he added a

What more does he need to say? Last night was a shitshow, he did what he could.

On 12/28/2022 at 1:25 PM, Hookem2147 said:

Hell yeah! Go get Chris Marshall, Denver Harris, Agiye Hall and PJ Williams on the phone!

Shiiiiit, we need some gangstas like VY had, gimme some Harris, Williams, and Marshall. Who cares if they burn down dorms, get other teammates contact highs, and like to run people over. I want to win, damnit! 

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Like I said, if they develop, they will be better than Whittington because they are better athletes than Whittington. Whittington is not a home run threat, Thompson is, Nibblett is, Cook may be, Moore may be. It's like you fail to see that Whittington was successful because of Sarkisian scheming him open. Given the same opportunities that Whittington got, I feel the younger WRs we have would have more than 1 TD. They all outproduced freshman Whittington.

You do realize J.Whitt was a 247 composite 5-star recruit coming outta High School & he was the fastest person on the team when tested in this past offseason?

• Fuck You 1

36 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

You do realize J.Whitt was a 247 composite 5-star recruit coming outta High School & he was the fastest person on the team when tested in this past offseason?

And he wouldn't get drafted if we went to the NFL. After 4 seasons, he hasn't lived up to the 5 stars he got coming out of HS, and I don't care what he tested at in the offseason, because the game of football is not a linear track meet. He doesn't show that speed on the field.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, HtownHorn said:

And he wouldn't get drafted if we went to the NFL. After 4 seasons, he hasn't lived up to the 5 stars he got coming out of HS, and I don't care what he tested at in the offseason, because the game of football is not a linear track meet. He doesn't show that speed on the field.

Weren’t you just talking about athleticism?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, SuckitKevin said:

Weren’t you just talking about athleticism?

Yes. He doesn't show much athleticism on the field. When he makes a catch, he usually gets tackled at that spot. He is not a guy that gets a lot of separation naturally due to his athleticism. He gets it through the confines of the offense. No plays over 45 yards in his entire career. Casey Cain might be the slowest WR on this team and he had two plays longer this season than Whittington has had in his entire career.

Edited by HtownHorn

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

Yes. He doesn't show much athleticism on the field. When he makes a catch, he usually gets tackled at that spot. He is not a guy that gets a lot of separation naturally due to his athleticism. He gets it through the confines of the offense. No plays over 45 yards. Casey Cain might be the slowest WR on this team and he had two plays longer in one season than Whittington has had in his entire career.

Is it a result of his athleticism or how is used? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Is it a result of his athleticism or how is used? 

If he had plus athleticism, he would have at least 1 play over 43 yards by now. He's also not a guy that can make contested catches down the field. He was used the same way Sarkisian used his 3rd and 4th options at Alabama. They were all guys with plus athleticism though.

Edited by HtownHorn

4 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

We ran 65 plays yesterday, 25 of which came in the 4th quarter after we were down 17 points. So 40 plays over 3 quarters to get everyone all the usual touches, which is not a lot. It was obvious from the jump that the gameplan centered around throwing the ball. I’m sure if the game flow allowed they would have been fine getting Blue some PT, but it didn’t happen. If that is what pushes him to the portal than he was never staying here long anyway.

We might have had enough offensive snaps for everyone had our D not given up multiple scoring drives of 10-plus plays. 

15 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Yes. He doesn't show much athleticism on the field. When he makes a catch, he usually gets tackled at that spot. He is not a guy that gets a lot of separation naturally due to his athleticism. He gets it through the confines of the offense. No plays over 45 yards in his entire career. Casey Cain might be the slowest WR on this team and he had two plays longer this season than Whittington has had in his entire career.

Watch the play at 8:03

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

If he had plus athleticism, he would have at least 1 play over 43 yards by now. He's also not a guy that can make contested catches down the field. He was used the same way Sarkisian used his 3rd and 4th options at Alabama. They were all guys with plus athleticism though.

Don't keep up with Bama but after Waddle got hurt Slade is listed as playing Witts position and you are telling me this 3 star is more athletic.

8546706.jpeg?fit=crop&width=100

Oh another thing it is good to know Waddle was a 3rd or 4th option.

Edited by DanTheHorn