2023 Transfer Thread - Texas Capitalized, ATM Victimized

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

It will be interesting to see what they do with him. I know they brought in Holmes as a field corner. Brooks seems like a sure bet to take over for Watts at boundary corner when he leaves after next year, so maybe they do a temporary move to nickel or safety.

We have options, which is nice.

Is Holmes a one year guy or more?

15 minutes ago, Bevo said:

That's interesting. Humphrey has always seemed like a much better college player.

it's probably because LJH had one boss ass season whereas Whittington's production has been spread across multiple seasons.

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Is Holmes a one year guy or more?

think holmes has 2 years left.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bevo said:

That's interesting. Humphrey has always seemed like a much better college player.

The only season where Humphrey was the starter, he went for 102-1416-10 all-purpose yards. He was also 3-4-19 yards and 1 TD passing.

The only season where Whittington was fully healthy, he went for 51-670-1 all-purpose yards.

You seemed correct.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Brooks may also end up at safety.

He was the starting corner for the bowl game, and showed elite traits on the dropped INT. He isn't fucking moving to safety. Texas already has Thompson, Allen, Guilbeau, Gooden, and Brice that can play Safety. If they are going to move a corner prospect to Safety it would likely be Austin Jordan. Not to mention WIlliams is coming in.

The likely CB rotation next year will be Watts, Holmes, Brooks, and Muhammad.

NB will be Barron and Guillbeau

Safety - Thompson, portal, Allen, Crawford, Williams

This could change if some of these guys enter the portal.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

He was the starting corner for the bowl game, and showed elite traits on the dropped INT. He isn't fucking moving to safety. Texas already has Thompson, Allen, Guilbeau, Gooden, and Brice that can play Safety. If they are going to move a corner prospect to Safety it would likely be Austin Jordan. Not to mention WIlliams is coming in.

Austin Jordan could move to S too

13 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Also have bj Allen at safety, unless he has or will transfer. Don’t recall if his lack of pt this season was injury related or not. 

Edit- missed the inclusion of Allen a couple of posts above. 

BJ Allen had some non-football injury that set him back for 2022 per Bobby Burton.  The coaches are supposedly still high on his potential to play a lot going forward.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

The whole talk of moving Brooks is so stupid and I believe originated from IT, they love a good position switch. Dude has pedigree and elite traits for corner. Jordan would be the move to safety as you’ve said

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The whole talk of moving Brooks is so stupid and I believe originated from IT, they love a good position switch. Dude has pedigree and elite traits for corner. Jordan would be the move to safety as you’ve said

Probably came from that retard Ian Boyd, who also suggested we move Rojo to LB. And that dude actually gets a paycheck for his "insight"

11 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

There are people in the program that are trying to convince Christian Jones to stay another year. If he does that’s going to cost us a young lineman. 

I would hope if Jones is back that Cam Williams is given the opportunity to win one OG spot (and that DJ Campbell is at the other).

10 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

There are people in the program that are trying to convince Christian Jones to stay another year. If he does that’s going to cost us a young lineman. 

I guess that means those people aren't confident in Hayden Conner/Cam Williams manning the RT position. 

What I believed next year's OL would have looked like:

Kelvin Banks -- DJ Campbell -- Jake Majors -- Cole Hutson -- Hayden Conner/Cam Williams

10 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Adding him and Holmes definitely solidifies the secondary heading into next year. 

I wouldn't expect much from Holmes. I am trying to keep an open mind with him but he is mediocre in coverage and one of the truly worst tacklers in all of CFB. Film backs that up and if you prefer analytics the same is true with PFF and every other ratings sight. It increases our floor a bit maybe but I have a hard time seeing him making much of a positive impact on this team. I can see the upside there as well but unless he shows up committed fully to improving his tackling I just don't think this staff, with how much they value solo tackling ability in space, trusting him with significant minutes at corner. I think he sees the field, sure, but I highly doubt he will beat out Brooks for that corner spot in any kind of fair competition. Not without improvement. 

Just now, HateYouAndMyself said:

I wouldn't expect much from Holmes. I am trying to keep an open mind with him but he is mediocre in coverage and one of the truly worst tacklers in all of CFB. Film backs that up and if you prefer analytics the same is true with PFF and every other ratings sight. It increases our floor a bit maybe but I have a hard time seeing him making much of a positive impact on this team. I can see the upside there as well but unless he shows up committed fully to improving his tackling I just don't think this staff, with how much they value solo tackling ability in space, trusting him with significant minutes at corner. I think he sees the field, sure, but I highly doubt he will beat out Brooks for that corner spot in any kind of fair competition. Not without improvement. 

HateYouAndMyselfAndHolmes

• Haha 6

8 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I guess that means those people aren't confident in Hayden Conner/Cam Williams manning the RT position. 

Kelvin Banks -- DJ Campbell -- Jake Majors -- Cole Hutson -- Hayden Conner/Cam Williams

If retaining Christian Jones means we perhaps move one of those guys inside to replace Hutson I am all for it. Man did he struggle at times this year. 

And @ClubWhatever I'll save you the trouble; HateYouAndMyselfAndHolmesAndHutson

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

PFF graded Brooks with a lower tackling grade than Holmes.

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

PFF graded Brooks with a lower tackling grade than Holmes.

Dear lord is Brooks that bad a tackler also? I don't think I've ever bothered looking up his PFF stuff since the sample size is so small. I know Holmes was in the like low 30s in tackling over his time at WF when I was looking at some of his film and got curious. I assumed (always a mistake apparently) that Brooks was at least a somewhat decent tackler if they were even remotely considering a move to safety for him. 

26 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I don’t think it’s an indictment on Williams/Conner as much as it is Jones was damn good this year and we would have the best tackle duo in the Big 12 with him returning.

If him returning cost us a younger guy then sometimes you have to make the tough calls. We should be pushing all our chips in for 2023.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I don’t think it’s an indictment on Williams/Conner as much as it is Jones was damn good this year and we would have the best tackle duo in the Big 12 with him returning.

If him returning cost us a younger guy then sometimes you have to make the tough calls. We should be pushing all our chips in for 2023.

The casualty will be Cam Williams most likely. A 1 year rental and losing a guy who will be here at least 2 more years isn't a trade off i want..

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Guess those same people are telling Jones that he would likely be a late round draft pick or undrafted free agent if he left now. I'm sure Jones can get NIL that would meet or exceed NFL pay if he were to leave now. But the big question is whether or not Jones spending another season on the 40 Acres vaults him into a Day 2/early Day 3 NFL pick?

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The casualty will be Cam Williams most likely. A 1 year rental and losing a guy who will be here at least 2 more years isn't a trade off i want..

We think Cam Williams could be really good but we don’t know. We know Jones is good and he’s proven it.

Not saying it’s an easy decision but we aren’t in the position to be pushing an All-Big 12 tackle out the door headed into year 3.

And as was pointed out above, could Williams not compete on the interior for a year before kicking outside?

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

We think Cam Williams could be really good but we don’t know. We know Jones is good and he’s proven it.

Not saying it’s an easy decision but we aren’t in the position to be pushing an All-Big 12 tackle out the door headed into year 3.

And as was pointed out above, could Williams not compete on the interior for a year before kicking outside?

So then DJ Campbell or Neto leave? 

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

First world problems we have. 

(Neto seemed to be furthest behind of the big name guys. The odds of keeping all 7 lineman we signed last year were always slim)

But yes, I understand what you are saying.

Edited by Hookem2147

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

(Neto seemed to be furthest behind of the big name guys. The odds of keeping all 7 lineman we signed last year were always slim)

FWIW I'm all for winning big in 2023 but at the risk of losing the future of the program and at a position of importance. I think it's better for Jones to go...

Same with Whittington. I'd rather use NIL resources on portal guys than retain him.

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

But yes, I understand what you are saying.

Malik Agbo had the least number of appearances of the 7 freshmen OL.

Edited by UDontKnow

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I don't think Campbell would leave. He's going to be a guard.

We don't want Neto to leave. His younger brother is a stud EDGE in the 2024 class.

3 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Malik Agbo had the least number of appearances of the 7 freshmen OL.

This would be my preference.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MuellerHorn said:

I don't think Campbell would leave. He's going to be a guard.

We don't want Neto to leave. His younger brother is a stud EDGE in the 2024 class.

This would be my preference.

Yeah but Agbo isn't the concern. It is Cam/Neto/Campbell leaving if Cam moves insides with potential of Jones coming back. 

I kind of hope they try Neto at center position, I think he can be really good.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

Yeah but Agbo isn't the concern. It is Cam/Neto/Campbell leaving if Cam moves insides with potential of Jones coming back. 

I kind of hope they try Neto at center position, I think he can be really good.

I thought Connor Robertson has first dibs at the center position as he backs up Jake Majors. FWIW, both are also enrolled in McCombs.

I don't think Neto leaves because of his parents. IIRC, it was his parents that essentially made the decision to send him to Texas and the quality of education was a huge factor in their decision.

18 hours ago, nycHorn said:

He didn’t play his senior year in high school. By all accounts he’s been busting his ass and had a great attitude about it behind the scenes. But the year off didn’t help.
Here’s a New Year’s resolution for you - learn what you’re talking about so you don’t show everyone what a dumbass you are.

He said he was going to sit out his SR year (to prepare for college), after an altercation with one of his HS coaches. Then later he tried to come back to the team, only for his HS teammates to tell him to go pound sand. He always had a huge bust component considering his past actions, and it looks like he learned nothing from it. Sure as shit, at the 1st sign of adversity at Texas it looks like he wants to leave, instead of working harder to improve and beat out other players. Maybe he should go to the coaches and tell them, I want to play the Keilan role if that gets me on the field faster.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, nycHorn said:

He didn’t play his senior year in high school. By all accounts he’s been busting his ass and had a great attitude about it behind the scenes. But the year off didn’t help.
Here’s a New Year’s resolution for you - learn what you’re talking about so you don’t show everyone what a dumbass you are 

I don’t have anything against him, and I hope he still has an amazing career at Texas (if he chooses to stay). From my POV, he hasn’t looked particularly explosive or elusive in his limited action here.

But you should adopt that New Year’s resolution for yourself, dip shit! He didn’t play his senior year because he PUNCHED HIS OWN COACH. He didn’t sit out willingly. CTJ and Gerry H have both insinuated that Blue has serious character issues.

Edited by ATXhorn17
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Not sure about analytics, but several writeups are pretty positive on Holmes.

Here's On3

Texas has landed Wake Forest transfer Gavin Holmes, with the cornerback making the announcement via Instagram. He previously spent three seasons with the Demon Deacons.

Holmes appeared in 11 games this year, helping Wake Forest to a 7-5 record. He had a career-high 23 tackles to go with nine passes defended.

According to the On3 transfer portal rankings, Holmes was the No. 29 player to enter the NCAA transfer portal this cycle. He was the No. 3 cornerback and will now be making his way to the 40 Acres.

• Hook 'Em 1