2023 Transfer Thread - Texas Capitalized, ATM Victimized

closetojumping

2 minutes ago, pacman said:

A whole board, full of threads, where Texas fans cream their panties for recruits, except this one thread where they shit on those same recruits.

1. Xavier Worthy isn't a "recruit."

2. Did you see that Alamo Bowl game?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

And rushing out to sign another Devin Richardson or DTD to provide you with false depth isn’t going to help. If you want that immediate gratification from signing a Tariq Milton, great. But until a realistic upgrade becomes available we should probably be developing the Johnson’s and Blackwell’s on our roster at linebacker this spring. 

DTD and Milton were because we waited until the summer to add a guy at LB and WR. We waited until decent players moved on to decide we should take someone.

• Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, pacman said:

A whole board, full of threads, where Texas fans cream their panties for recruits, except this one thread where they shit on those same recruits.

Y'all trying to build a roster like you are playing a video game. Everybody wants to come here and everybody is better than what we have already.

spacer.png

Not wanting to count on a true freshman /= shitting on a recruit.

Yes, I would prefer experienced proven players over not experienced and not proven.

We should be using the portal to pull the best players available at positions of weakness - like LB, Edge, WR, and Safety.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

DTD and Milton were because we waited until the summer to add a guy at LB and WR. We waited until decent players moved on to decide we should take someone.

We did add Neyor and he went through spring practice and looked like a game changer. WR wasn't considered a huge need in the 2nd portal window, and even still Texas went after Addison because that is the type of guy Texas should be chasing in the portal. Texas doesn't need guys that raise the floor, they need guys that raise the ceilings.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

They added Milton because we lost Marcus Washington unexpectedly after spring ball. They obviously chased after Addison first because of course, but the Milton addition was because a need arose late.

Edited by Hookem2147

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

We did add Neyor and he went through spring practice and looked like a game changer. WR wasn't considered a huge need in the 2nd portal window, and even still Texas went after Addison because that is the type of guy Texas should be chasing in the portal. Texas doesn't need guys that raise the floor, they need guys that raise the ceilings.

I feel like everyone wringing their hands over us not going after X, Y, or Z players in the portal should also remember that some of the biggest names didn't enter until late last year. For example, I think Jordan Addison didn't officially enter the portal until like May, right? I think even Caleb Williams waited until January (even though everyone had known for months). Neyor didn't commit until late January, IIRC. I'm sure there's some other important guys I'm forgetting who entered or decided late as well.

So, although we may have missed on some guys that could theoretically help us (although, and I could be mistaken, I really don't recall seeing any "must get" guys yet), this isn't over by a long shot. There will be other guys, some of whom will probably be really, really good available down the road. Let's wait and see how bad aggy fucks up their OC hire while keeping Stewart on speed dial

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

From IT's notes regarding portal:

They need a third RB (after Brooks & Baxter) - someone who can move a pile.

Need WR's - clock is ticking and Texas needs to pick up the pace.

Need a healthy Catalon

Edge will come from internal development

Re LB, Will is easiest to play for young players and will likely have Ford to guide them.

Full commentary for those interested 

Spoiler

Last year it was written Steve Sarkisian simply needed to improve the program incrementally across the board. He accomplished that, and now he needs to do it again. If he does, we’ll be witnessing a genuine program rebuild rather than a spirited attempt.

The reason we reached out for sourcing for this article was so we could write a more thorough offseason checklist. Many of the aspects listed would have made our list without sourcing, but there’s also some more interesting insider notes interspersed. 

Sourcing is in quotes. IT’s follow-up notes and comments are in parenthesis. 

“They need to solidify the running back position and they need more depth at receiver on offense.” 

(Jonathon Brooks and Cedric Baxter will play a lot, but in my opinion they need a third volume back based on the Alamo Bowl. Preferably one who can get tough yards and move the pile.)

“We need two receiver options along with some double tights to compliment our ability to stretch the field. You need a replacement for Karic. I believe it is Neto or Agbo but Neto can play on the edge better than Agbo. Not sure we have the WR on campus currently to do that (stretch the field). Cook will have a chance to play early and add depth to that room right away. Neyor makes an instant impact if he can come back healthy.” 

(The clock is beginning to tick a little on portal additions. Things need to pick up soon. At last check Texas was still poised to add at least one wide receiver. I love using a large, athletic offensive lineman as a blocking tight end. It keeps the player engaged and acclimates him to playing against opposing defensive lines.)

“The OL will solidify with four starters and DJ Campbell. Shift that group around and get them reps together. We need to be a little tougher and find our identity whether it’s run heavy or pass. We need both but add consistency for both.”

(There’s going to be a lot of competition on the offensive line this offseason. In addition to the above, coaches need to drill better discipline. We saw far too many mistakes and pre-snap penalties. I also agree for the need to become more physical up front, particularly in the interior. Robust competition allows Kyle Flood to better address all these issues.)

“Defensively they will be good. Big up front but they do need a better pass rush. They need a safety in the portal and one of the young linebackers to be real good.”

(They have so many Edges to develop I’m not too worried about the position next year. Jalen Catalon will visit Texas this weekend. He comes with risks due to his injury history but he may be too good to pass up. A healthy Catalon lined up with Jerrin Thompson is one of the best safety duos in the country. As for linebacker, the options are numerous. It’s a hard position to play early but Will is much more manageable than Mike, and the young players will have Jaylan Ford to guide them, assuming Ford returns.)

“They also need to stop dancing around the players that want to leave for NIL. If they have NIL FOMO (fear of missing out) let them leave so they know who is committed and who is not.”

(Managing NIL is one of the most difficult tasks for the modern coaching staff. Finding the balance between practicality and not creating divas can be difficult.)

From another source with a different take on NIL.

“They need to make sure players on defense are taken care of. They didn’t have much value last year but they do now.” 

(Other sources indicate this concern is being addressed.)

“They need to be more careful about who they bring into the program. Some of them may be talented players but they’re terrible outside of football.” 

(This appears to have been addressed with Sarkisian having more leverage thanks to quality roster development and exceptional recruiting. Sark bringing in a couple of malcontents was somewhat defensible given roster needs. It’s much less so now and he seems to be acting accordingly.)

“Quarterback needs to be more consistent.” 

(This is pretty obvious but the Alamo Bowl offered some QB play will be more consistent if Sark continues to carve out an offensive identity that yields a more comfortable, confident quarterback)

The offseason certainly has its warts, but if you appreciate roster management, player development, and program building, the offseason can be enjoyable if the work carries over to the field. Last offseason did cary over to the field. I believe this one will, too.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

No LB or edge seems dumb. LB is literally Ford (if he returns) and a true Freshman Hill. Then I guess Blackwell, Gbenda and Jett Bush?

One edge spot is fine with Sorrell/Finkley but the other is a mess.

I would guess the issue is that other spot on the edge is a tough one to fill. Finding that freak athlete to maximize the position has proven to be tough for Texas. Verse was there last year, I am not sure there is one this year 

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Full commentary for those interested 

Hide contents

Last year it was written Steve Sarkisian simply needed to improve the program incrementally across the board. He accomplished that, and now he needs to do it again. If he does, we’ll be witnessing a genuine program rebuild rather than a spirited attempt.

The reason we reached out for sourcing for this article was so we could write a more thorough offseason checklist. Many of the aspects listed would have made our list without sourcing, but there’s also some more interesting insider notes interspersed. 

Sourcing is in quotes. IT’s follow-up notes and comments are in parenthesis. 

“They need to solidify the running back position and they need more depth at receiver on offense.” 

(Jonathon Brooks and Cedric Baxter will play a lot, but in my opinion they need a third volume back based on the Alamo Bowl. Preferably one who can get tough yards and move the pile.)

“We need two receiver options along with some double tights to compliment our ability to stretch the field. You need a replacement for Karic. I believe it is Neto or Agbo but Neto can play on the edge better than Agbo. Not sure we have the WR on campus currently to do that (stretch the field). Cook will have a chance to play early and add depth to that room right away. Neyor makes an instant impact if he can come back healthy.” 

(The clock is beginning to tick a little on portal additions. Things need to pick up soon. At last check Texas was still poised to add at least one wide receiver. I love using a large, athletic offensive lineman as a blocking tight end. It keeps the player engaged and acclimates him to playing against opposing defensive lines.)

“The OL will solidify with four starters and DJ Campbell. Shift that group around and get them reps together. We need to be a little tougher and find our identity whether it’s run heavy or pass. We need both but add consistency for both.”

(There’s going to be a lot of competition on the offensive line this offseason. In addition to the above, coaches need to drill better discipline. We saw far too many mistakes and pre-snap penalties. I also agree for the need to become more physical up front, particularly in the interior. Robust competition allows Kyle Flood to better address all these issues.)

“Defensively they will be good. Big up front but they do need a better pass rush. They need a safety in the portal and one of the young linebackers to be real good.”

(They have so many Edges to develop I’m not too worried about the position next year. Jalen Catalon will visit Texas this weekend. He comes with risks due to his injury history but he may be too good to pass up. A healthy Catalon lined up with Jerrin Thompson is one of the best safety duos in the country. As for linebacker, the options are numerous. It’s a hard position to play early but Will is much more manageable than Mike, and the young players will have Jaylan Ford to guide them, assuming Ford returns.)

“They also need to stop dancing around the players that want to leave for NIL. If they have NIL FOMO (fear of missing out) let them leave so they know who is committed and who is not.”

(Managing NIL is one of the most difficult tasks for the modern coaching staff. Finding the balance between practicality and not creating divas can be difficult.)

From another source with a different take on NIL.

“They need to make sure players on defense are taken care of. They didn’t have much value last year but they do now.” 

(Other sources indicate this concern is being addressed.)

“They need to be more careful about who they bring into the program. Some of them may be talented players but they’re terrible outside of football.” 

(This appears to have been addressed with Sarkisian having more leverage thanks to quality roster development and exceptional recruiting. Sark bringing in a couple of malcontents was somewhat defensible given roster needs. It’s much less so now and he seems to be acting accordingly.)

“Quarterback needs to be more consistent.” 

(This is pretty obvious but the Alamo Bowl offered some QB play will be more consistent if Sark continues to carve out an offensive identity that yields a more comfortable, confident quarterback)

The offseason certainly has its warts, but if you appreciate roster management, player development, and program building, the offseason can be enjoyable if the work carries over to the field. Last offseason did cary over to the field. I believe this one will, too.

That definitely reads like Blue is either going to portal and/or they don't trust he'll be a contributor.

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I would guess the issue is that other spot on the edge is a tough one to fill. Finding that freak athlete to maximize the position has proven to be tough for Texas. Verse was there last year, I am not sure there is one this year 

The Coastal Carolina kid was a good one - Josaiah Stewart.  Also OU had the package deal with McCullough brothers.

The 'not Byron Vaughns' Edge at Utah St, Daniel Grzesiak, is really good and still uncommitted.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

The Coastal Carolina kid was a good one - Josaiah Stewart.  Also OU had the package deal with McCullough brothers.

The 'not Byron Vaughns' Edge at Utah St, Daniel Grzesiak, is really good and still uncommitted.

I don’t know much about Josiah Stewart.  His 3.5 sacks at Costal Carolina don’t really excite me, but I could be wrong. He didn’t dominate lower level play, so no idea if he can make the jump. No offense, but it seems in general fans overvalue portal players. McCullough would have been nice. 

5 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Need to tamper Darius Hodges from Tulane into the portal. He's played really well against USC today and was the AAC Defensive Lineman of the Year.

10 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Vaughns has multiple big offers.

Edited by Schulz2.0

Would be a Super Senior - has increased his sack total every year.

6 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I don’t know much about Josiah Stewart.  His 3.5 sacks at Costal Carolina don’t really excite me, but I could be wrong. He didn’t dominate lower level play, so no idea if he can make the jump. No offense, but it seems in general fans overvalue portal players. McCullough would have been nice. 

He had 15 sacks the season before.  Despite only 3 sacks this season he had 39 pressures.  Michigan already picked him up so its moot.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Hook 'Em 2

45 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

The WR room was largely shit or unproven after Worthy and Whittington. Even after adding Neyor they could have used another WR with some experience. Instead, they took a massive flier in Hall (pretty laughable in hindsight) and Milton. Milton has never been the same player after his injuries and it seemed like we took him because his brother was a WO here.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

44 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

They added Milton because we lost Marcus Washington unexpectedly after spring ball. They obviously chased after Addison first because of course, but the Milton addition was because a need arose late.

Washington fucking sucked. He could block, but not get open or catch passes. He badly needed to be upgraded.

• Rage+1 1

17 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

The WR room was largely shit or unproven after Worthy and Whittington. Even after adding Neyor they could have used another WR with some experience. Instead, they took a massive flier in Hall (pretty laughable in hindsight) and Milton. Milton has never been the same player after his injuries and it seemed like we took him because his brother was a WO here.

sadly I think Milton was the only one with dependable hands..  Felt like whenever he got a target (less than a handful), he'd make the catch 

Nahlin had mentioned him as someone Texas would be interested in.

Per On3 rankings - here are the top uncommitted WR's in the portal and their ranking:

Dante Cephas - Kent St (8)

Kevin Coleman - Jackson St (19)

Xavier Weaver - USF (22)

DeQuece Carter - Fordham (23)

Dante Thornton - Oregon (24)

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Per On3 rankings - here are the top uncommitted WR's in the portal and their ranking:

Xavier Weaver - USF (22)

They don’t have Prather from WVU in the top 25? He’s better than someone like Kevin Coleman. Actually all 3 guys you listed behind Coleman are better than him.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, pacman said:

Y'all trying to build a roster like you are playing a video game. Everybody wants to come here and everybody is better than what we have already.

spacer.png

Everyone out there is better than Jett Bush

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Thiefery said:

Hill, Burrell are coming in this week as EEs.. I'm sure if the signs point that they are going to NEED another LB body.. they will grab someone with experience once the portal re opens in the spring

I thought Lafau was an EE also. That not true?

15 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Xavier Weaver - USF (22)

I saw a Kent St. game this season, that WR is pretty good.  So was their QB, I think he transferred somewhere.

5 minutes ago, Jabberwocky said:

Couple LB's for the Surly portal humpers to drool over.

Spurlock stats: https://mgoblue.com/sports/football/roster/deuce-spurlock/23719

Spurlock recruiting rankings: https://www.on3.com/db/deuce-spurlock-35733/

Heimuli stats: https://gohuskies.com/sports/football/roster/daniel-heimuli/14217

Heimuli recruiting rankings: https://www.on3.com/db/daniel-heimuli-29275/

Just now, UDontKnow said:

Neither are any good.

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Not wanting to count on a true freshman /= shitting on a recruit.

Yes, I would prefer experienced proven players over not experienced and not proven.

We should be using the portal to pull the best players available at positions of weakness - like LB, Edge, WR, and Safety.

Semantics, of course, but you are literally advocating for the 2021 safeties to be recruited over in the take of Haulcy (same recruiting class). Effectively, you are punishing them for committing to Texas, taking a shirt, and not getting stuck at one of the worst d1 football schools in America.

pff grade and freshman AA have to be taken with a grain of salt given the competition and unparalleled opportunity since New Mexico defense was near the worst in the nation and always on the field.

The likelihood Haulcy was worth bringing here is very slim. Carter, on the other hand was a seemingly quality target.

1 minute ago, pacman said:

Semantics, of course, but you are literally advocating for the 2021 safeties to be recruited over in the take of Haulcy (same recruiting class). Effectively, you are punishing them for committing to Texas, taking a shirt, and not getting stuck at one of the worst d1 football schools in America.

Competition isn't punishment.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, pacman said:

You think a winning recruiting pitch to Haulcy is, "You can leave your starting position and come here to compete with four other, more highly recruited prospects"?

I think a winning pitch is not using NIL money on Christian Jones and Jordan Whittington and using it on portal guys who have more elgibility.

Not sure how good 247’s team portal rankings are, but here is the top 10

1. Florida State (8 commits)

2. Colorado (17 commits)

3. LSU (7 commits)

4. Michigan (7 commits) 

5. Arizona State (18 commits)

6. Michigan State (11 commits) 

7. North Carolina (9 commits)

8. Washington (7 commits)

9. UCLA (6 commits)

10. Kentucky (6 commits)

*should be noted the average player ranking for ASU and Michigan State is significantly below the other 8*

Not sure if there is a correlation or not, but I found it interesting only 1 of the top 10 teams signed top 15 HS classes in 2022 and 2023: LSU

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Don't know if it would be much if a factor, but Choice was at Ga. Tech when the Arkansas guy that just portal'd out was.

He's got some 'interesting' stats.  Only played about 22 snaps a game - mostly as a pass rusher (200 pass rush snaps and 116 run support).  Had 8 sacks but only had 21 pressures in 14 games for 1.5 pressures a game.

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

He's got some 'interesting' stats.  Only played about 22 snaps a game - mostly as a pass rusher (200 pass rush snaps and 116 run support).  Had 8 sacks but only had 21 pressures in 14 games for 1.5 pressures a game.

If he wants to increase his pressure numbers then we are the right school for him

• Like 1