2023 Transfer Thread - Texas Capitalized, ATM Victimized

closetojumping

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

He’s not going to have two of his guys competing for a starting spot on the same roster. Neyor and Sturdivant would be cannibalizing each other’s opportunities at Texas. 

Would that be the same for Cook and Stewart? Hooks must really think Neyor will be 100% by fall camp.

11 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Assumes Jones stays at Tackle. I am not sure that is a lock 

If he is projected at guard in the NFL, it would make sense for him to play there and show scouts next year what he can do. Let Neto and Williams battle it out at RT and have Jones and Campbell play guard. Jones at guard would murder people in the run game. 

• Hook 'Em 5

If he is projected at guard in the NFL, it would make sense for him to play there and show scouts next year what he can do. Let Neto and Williams battle it out at RT and have Jones and Campbell play guard. Jones at guard would murder people in the run game. 
He's definitely not an NFL tackle, as he doesn't have the lateral quickness or flexibility. But he could have a decent career as a guard in the league. I wonder if Flood moves him inside (better blocker than Huston and Roberson) and puts Williams out at RT. This allows growth for both and prepares Williams for the following year as well.
  • Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

Allows Huston have a RS year to gain strength, but not likely to happen.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 1

I don't really care what Flood decides. Our OL is going to be salty next year. The interior guys will be stronger regardless of who is chosen. With that said, the best player after Banks should be at right tackle. Whether that is Jones or a freshman or sophomore will be decided by competition.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, ATXhorn17 said:

Surprised that Catalon isn’t getting more nibbles… I guess Purdue and Texas are the only programs willing to take the risk?

Or maybe Catalon is being selective from his end…

perfect encapsulation of this thread. Drawing conclusions based on limited public info, when 90% of the action is under the table. 

impossible to know one way or the other.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

JWhitt is way up there on my favorite Horns list. He busts his ass, blocks like a motherfucker, bleeds burnt orange, jukes fools all day, and seems to be all about the team. So badass he's returning. 

And he has faced a ton of adversity with injuries and kept at it and found success.

• Hook 'Em 6

6 hours ago, pacman said:

spacer.png

Sturdivant's trainer

I’m sure that back door to Tennessee has nothing to do with the one Neyor took to Texas. Like a courtesy call or a “sorry my guy stood you up last time, I’ll put in a good word” gesture of good faith.

7 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

JWhitt is way up there on my favorite Horns list. He busts his ass, blocks like a motherfucker, bleeds burnt orange, jukes fools all day, and seems to be all about the team. So badass he's returning. 

7 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

And he has faced a ton of adversity with injuries and kept at it and found success.

This and the fact we need someone to enforce culture now that Bijan and RoJo are gone are the main reasons I am pumped he is returning. I’ll be happy to have Christian Jones back for the same reasons. We need all the super senior leadership we can get. 

• Hook 'Em 5

8 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

Agreed with this.

He's the Roschon Johnson going into next year.  Not only a "glue" guy, but a heck of a player.  Wish Ewers looked for him more in space rather than bombing to Worthy

• Hook 'Em 6

8 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

I like him, but there is a reason he is coming back. He needs to show he can stay healthy, 1 out for 4 years isn’t a great track record, and he needs to grow as a WR. His best benefit maybe in leadership, but that is hard to quantify. I hope he improves and has a great season and gets himself in the discussion for the draft 

11 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

He's definitely not an NFL tackle, as he doesn't have the lateral quickness or flexibility. But he could have a decent career as a guard in the league. I wonder if Flood moves him inside (better blocker than Huston and Roberson) and puts Williams out at RT. This allows growth for both and prepares Williams for the following year as well.

He is the best run blocker on the team and can struggle in pass pro. If Sark goes down the path of the offense that Texas ran in the bowl game, it makes sense to slide him inside 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

He is the best run blocker on the team and can struggle in pass pro. If Sark goes down the path of the offense that Texas ran in the bowl game, it makes sense to slide him inside 

The first half offense? I think I need to start drinking now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

He came back because he likes college and got a guaranteed package that would have been tough to match as an UFA and comparable to 7th round value. I’ve no doubt that he’d like to go higher, but going on to a career outside of football was something he’d already had to wrestle with after his last big injury in 2021. 

Not disagreeing with the gist of your post, just adding color. It’s a big deal getting him back, because he’s a hell of a voice in the locker room and he’s an above option player at his position in P5. 

Also, they need Ewers to mature in big ways. If Worthy is back, his ass needs to do the same. 

I completely agree. He is a solid college player right now and his experience will be leaned on. It is why I said he sets the floor of the WR room, unless he makes another jump in his play. He is a valuable player, but isn’t a guy opposing DCs are going to game plan for. That is why I said Neyor, young bucks, or a Portal WR will set the ceiling. If one of them can force opposing DCs to give them attention, the passing game will be deadly. As an example imagine DCs focused on Neyor and X on the outside, allowing JWhitt and Sanders to run wild underneath 

16 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Coincidence he posted this the same week he was rumored to enter the portal then quickly he wasn’t anymore?  I think not. 

FB377903-7F0E-46DD-ABA9-6B291B7E6805.jpeg

That and brooks had surgery for hernia, we’ve seen how those can linger, with Jwhitt. Blue would be in line for a lot of work this spring 

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

I think this board seriously overestimates the likelihood of Flood displacing a center with 25 starts in the system.

Both starting guards are more likely candidates for replacement.

If they did move Jones inside, that means Conner goes outside. Hutson at center is interesting, but I would be surprised to see it with Robertson there. Conner/Williams at RT would have some intrigue. I just hope one of these guys doesn't get squeezed out because Jones wants one more season.

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

I think this board seriously overestimates the likelihood of Flood displacing a center with 25 starts in the system.

Agree with this. I’m sure Flood would love to upgrade the center position, but it seems really unlikely.  Priority one is getting Hutson out of the starting 5. Seems very likely Campbell is able to supplant him this off-season based on end of year play. Then the question is whether some combination of Williams and/or Neto can upgrade the Connor position, or if you just live with his limitations. 

5 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Agree with this. I’m sure Flood would love to upgrade the center position, but it seems really unlikely.  Priority one is getting Hutson out of the starting 5. Seems very likely Campbell is able to supplant him this off-season based on end of year play. Then the question is whether some combination of Williams and/or Neto can upgrade the Connor position, or if you just live with his limitations. 

OL is one of those units that while having 5 real solid players is awesome, you can be above average with 4 solid players and a JAG. The problem is when you are running out there 2 (or sometimes 3 or more in our case the last decade+) JAGs or worse the line falls apart.

You can shift protection to help protect one tackle or allow your tackles to play a bit more on an island and allow your center to help double to help cover a weak G. You can even then add in an inline TE to help the tackles and then hope that G/Cs can hold the middle, but if you have to cover for both tackles or a G and a T or a C and a G you are in a world of hurt.

19 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

If they did move Jones inside, that means Conner goes outside. Hutson at center is interesting, but I would be surprised to see it with Robertson there. Conner/Williams at RT would have some intrigue. I just hope one of these guys doesn't get squeezed out because Jones wants one more season.

Considering Conner frequently somehow let pass rushers through completely untouched in the phone booth of the interior I'm not sure that's the kind of intrigue I'm interested in. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

20 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Yes, I heard that Robertson was showing promise at C.  In any event, it's refreshing for our OL problems to be of the first world nature.

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

This is a weird response to the idea of having Hutson compete with Majors, which first and foremost replaces one of the guards and only has the secondary benefit of more competition at Center. Everyone knows the Guards are the biggest weakness. 

21 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

Whether 9.95 fantasy of not, there was plenty of conversation last summer about Majors potentially being replaced. It went out the window when Junior was injured.

I think there will be a lot of experimenting on the OL during spring and Fall camps. The interior OL was an issue last year. Jones struggled at times in pass pro, but he is the best run blocker. Campbell looks like he is on the verge of locking down a spot at Guard, but where are Cam and Neto in their development? Lot of the decision making process is going to be about how much strength the talented freshmen are able to put on and is their a second player that can offer solid pass blocking at Tackle 

Edited by Codaxx

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

If a 4th year Majors is the weakest link of our OL, then we’ll have one of the best OLs in the country. He was significantly better than Hutson and Conner this year. It’s unlikely we can replace those two and still have someone available who’s better than Majors. 

His age has nothing to do with his limitations. He's not talented and not physically gifted enough. The faster we get rid of him there the better we can be.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

If a 4th year Majors is the weakest link of our OL, then we’ll have one of the best OLs in the country. He was significantly better than Hutson and Conner this year. It’s unlikely we can replace those two and still have someone available who’s better than Majors. 

Correct. People need to get used to the idea of Banks, Conner, Majors, Campbell, Jones. If we can upgrade Conner, fanfuckingtastic, but probably not happening unless Neto or Williams takes a huge leap.

And if Connor is somehow at tackle, it means Jones moved on and Williams isn’t ready, which is the worst case scenario. He does not have the ability to be an above average college tackle.

9 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Correct. People need to get used to the idea of Banks, Conner, Majors, Campbell, Jones. If we can upgrade Conner, fanfuckingtastic, but probably not happening unless Neto or Williams takes a huge leap.

And if Connor is somehow at tackle, it means Jones moved on and Williams isn’t ready, which is the worst case scenario. He does not have the ability to be an above average college tackle.

Isn’t the implication that Williams is going to transfer if he’s not starting next year?

35 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I'm not calling it or anything but Robertson at center and Campbell, Neto, Agbo, Williams at guard could happen. Shit, Hutson could actually improve. He was starting as a true freshman.

Connor was our swing tackle this year so I wouldn't be surprised if they move him to T full-time. He wasn't very good at G.

I just want to see Campbell take the next step and win the RG job. Anyone know how he graded out against Baylor and UW? Those are the only real non-garbage snaps he's gotten.

My hunch is that we end up with Banks-Hutson-Majors-Campbell-Jones, with Connor backup LT and Cam backup RT. Although Neto could make some noise somewhere too.