2023 Transfer Thread - Texas Capitalized, ATM Victimized

13 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Connor was our swing tackle this year so I wouldn't be surprised if they move him to T full-time. He wasn't very good at G.

I just want to see Campbell take the next step and win the RG job. Anyone know how he graded out against Baylor and UW? Those are the only real non-garbage snaps he's gotten.

My hunch is that we end up with Banks-Hutson-Majors-Campbell-Jones, with Connor backup LT and Cam backup RT. Although Neto could make some noise somewhere too.

I thought Jones exhausted his eligibility.

12 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Connor was our swing tackle this year so I wouldn't be surprised if they move him to T full-time. He wasn't very good at G.

I just want to see Campbell take the next step and win the RG job. Anyone know how he graded out against Baylor and UW? Those are the only real non-garbage snaps he's gotten.

My hunch is that we end up with Banks-Hutson-Majors-Campbell-Jones, with Connor backup LT and Cam backup RT. Although Neto could make some noise somewhere too.

Given his play this year, I am not sure he is a swing anything. The Connor hype has been built off of 1 spring game, where he got considerable help, and Ian Boyd. He was arguably the worst OL. I am hoping Flood finds a way to replace him, not find ways to keep him on the field 

This is a weird response to the idea of having Hutson compete with Majors, which first and foremost replaces one of the guards and only has the secondary benefit of more competition at Center. Everyone knows the Guards are the biggest weakness. 

I don’t think Flood is likely to seriously entertain benching Majors at this point (believe that ship sailed this year), thus I think the notion of a competition at center is fanfic. That doesn’t mean they won’t reevaluate Hutson’s spot or try him at backup center. Perhaps I’m wrong, but I fail to see what’s weird about that response given it was directly addressing the quoted post.
  • Like 1

majors needs to be replaced. He’s not physically or talented enough. He’s likely to be the weakest member of our line next year. 

If Jake Majors was the weakest member of the line this year, Texas would have been in the Big 12 championship.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

If Jake Majors was the weakest member of the line this year, Texas would have been in the Big 12 championship.

Majors wasn’t All-Conference by any stretch of imagination, but he wasn’t the worst OL. That honor would be between Hutson and Connor 

2 hours ago, JerryHubbard said:

Hutson was a true freshman and Connor was a true sophomore. It is quite likely they will get, you know, better.

For most OL the best path is redshirt, two- deep, compete for starter spot in 3rd year.

I agree Conner will get better. But the issue with being a turnstile on some pass plays is physical limitations. Technique and strength improvement can probably get him to be an effective interior pass blocker but based on what I've seen asking him to man up against an edge rusher probably won't be successful while he's here. I'd love to be wrong, though. But look at Christian Jones. He has busted his ass to become a pretty good RT. But his weakness is and always will be pass blocking out there.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

I agree Conner will get better. But the issue with being a turnstile on some pass plays is physical limitations. Technique and strength improvement can probably get him to be an effective interior pass blocker but based on what I've seen asking him to man up against an edge rusher probably won't be successful while he's here. I'd love to be wrong, though. But look at Christian Jones. He has busted his ass to become a pretty good RT. But his weakness is and always will be pass blocking out there.

When should Conner learn to move after the ball is snapped?  Dear god it seemed like at least twice a game.

• Hook 'Em 1

It would be amazing if Stewart hit the portal last minute.
aggy is tossing insane amounts of "NIL" at Stewart and telling him pretty much anything he wants to hear at this point. Beyond the fact he's very talented, he's one they simply can't lose based on perception of the offense as a whole. If Stewart peaces out, any portal guys commiting to aggy are just doing it for the money, full mercenary, draft prospect development be damned.

Coaches originally asked JWhit, Jones, Ovie and Moro to come back. So far two of those are taking the offer. I can say that there was major disagreement between defensive coaches on Ovie so it makes sense that he decided to move on.  Not all the coaches wanted him back. 
He was getting better, but nowhere near the level we need. Completely disappeared in many games..can be replaced either from the bench or portal. Good luck Ovie
  • Like 1

How do you hold a coach to that? It’s not like Whitt can get his year back if he doesn’t get more targets. I’m guessing his return has benefits a little more verifiable at the bargaining table.
He has a sellable personality, NIL playing a role I'm sure.

13 hours ago, JerryHubbard said:

Hutson was a true freshman and Connor was a true sophomore. It is quite likely they will get, you know, better.

For most OL the best path is redshirt, two- deep, compete for starter spot in 3rd year.

I don’t get this type of response. We all know people get better over time, that does not change the fact that both struggled all year. There is a chance that other young freshmen will pass them, especially the ones that did not enroll early. You could argue Campbell looked better than Hutson at season end. Nobody is saying give up on any young player. We are just pointing out that improvement is needed and Flood should explore all the options in attempt to fix a liability. That just seems logical to me 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I disagree that people get better over time. There are numerous people on this very board who appear to get considerably worse as their post volume goes up over time. 

I don't know if they get worse. Some people are just retarded. Plus, in their defense, they don't get much coaching or medical treatment.

21 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I disagree that people get better over time. There are numerous people on this very board who appear to get considerably worse as their post volume goes up over time. 

I don’t think they get worse they just get louder

Edited by TheFlyingBoat

I remember reading that Campbell in limited time graded out much better than Hutson or Conner. He needs to start next year. Jones played so well at right tackle this year that I think you leave him there and try Williams inside for 1 yr with a plan to move him outside after that. Other than Majors( who has improved) that would give you some absolute maulers on the line, and that is what I think Flood really wants.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think you can pencil in Campbell as a starter at one of the guard spots. I don't see us dicking around with moving Jones inside when we have the best tackle duo in the conference returning. Unless Williams just looks otherworldly at RT. 

It's not going to happen but I wouldn't be opposed to an IOL from the portal.

• Hook 'Em 2

It’s nice to have options along the OL. The backups will also be a year older, and not everyone develops at the same rate. Maybe Robertson ends up looking better than majors at C and gets a shot to start. Maybe Williams looks good enough at RT that they are comfortable seeing how Jones looks at G. Jones should be all for that if all of the feedback from the nfl is that he’s a guard and they’d like to have video of him playing that position. 

positional versatility is coveted in the nfl world of 53 players. Being capable at T and G is good. For guys like Hutson, being capable at G and C is good for his chances.  Even if he never starts here at C. 

it’s good to seemingly be getting to the point where the debate is over the best options instead of the least bad option. 

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I think you can pencil in Campbell as a starter at one of the guard spots. I don't see us dicking around with moving Jones inside when we have the best tackle duo in the conference returning. Unless Williams just looks otherworldly at RT. 

Campbell pretty much did the same thing every time he got meaningful snaps. He committed a penalty within his first three snaps on the field, but was damn near flawless for the rest of the game. He has the potential to be special.

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Red Five said:

The argument is the guard position was the weakest part of the OL. Jones was solid at RT, but he does struggle in pass pro at times. He is the best run blocker on the OL. No idea if Cam or Neto can improve pass blocking at RT over Jones. An OL of Banks, Campbell, Majors, Jones, and Cam/Neto has  the potential to be a better pass blocking OL and improve the inside zone running game. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Nope said:

Campbell pretty much did the same thing every time he got meaningful snaps. He committed a penalty within his first three snaps on the field, but was damn near flawless for the rest of the game. He has the potential to be special.

Funny. One of my main memories of Campbell after he took over for Hutson, was totally ignoring a guy stunting across his face and sacking Ewers. 

I wouldnt call that flawless 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

Funny. One of my main memories of Campbell after he took over for Hutson, was totally ignoring a guy stunting across his face and sacking Ewers. 

That was the first snap he came in on and then Campbell got settled after that. Geez, tough crowd.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

Yeah that was his first snap of the game, same idea I was getting at

4 hours ago, Codaxx said:

The argument is the guard position was the weakest part of the OL. Jones was solid at RT, but he does struggle in pass pro at times. He is the best run blocker on the OL. No idea if Cam or Neto can improve pass blocking at RT over Jones. An OL of Banks, Campbell, Majors, Jones, and Cam/Neto has  the potential to be a better pass blocking OL and improve the inside zone running game. 

I don't think this point can be over-emphasized when it comes to Sark's offense.  We need to be more effective at inside zone for Sark's preferred play calling/world view to work.  Imagine Mustardson with effective inside blocking - could have had a ton more wide-open down field drops last season.  

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

yay more drama and drop passes

If he comes back with Whittington, the kids coming in, maybe the injured young man comes back healthy and maybe Thompson is ready to go, U think he will have a great year. The o line should be better, Ewers should be better, tight ends should be batter and it's his contract year.

• Hook 'Em 2