2023 Transfer Thread - Texas Capitalized, ATM Victimized

closetojumping

Just now, victory88 said:

Yeah, not seeing Mitchell ending up at Texas. He’s had two good showings in the CFP.  Why would he leave to come to the abortion our offense is currently?  I was buying it when he wasn’t getting targets but doesn’t make sense right now.

Georgia just recruited two very highly rated guys from the portal and have their leading WR McConkey coming back.  Given the TE usage in that offense - AD Mitchell is more than likely the odd man out next season. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Georgia just recruited two very highly rated guys from the portal and have their leading WR McConkey coming back.  Given the TE usage in that offense - AD Mitchell is more than likely the odd man out next season. 

He was the odd man out all of THIS season too. Unless he was just injured. 

That being said maybe his performance tonight makes Georgia boosters pay to keep him. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

10 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Yeah, not seeing Mitchell ending up at Texas. He’s had two good showings in the CFP.  Why would he leave to come to the abortion our offense is currently?  I was buying it when he wasn’t getting targets but doesn’t make sense right now.

Seriously? He’s getting fewer targets than Ladd McConkey and the running backs.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Wasn't Ugwoegbu one of the bright spots on their defense? I'm not gonna lie, I'm not against recruiting a Sooner in the Portal. It means they've learned the error of their ways going there in the first place.

A bright spot on the OU defense is like a cool spot on the surface of the sun. Texas should not recruit anyone associated with that defense.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

21 minutes ago, John Coctostan said:

You can get a *graduate degree* in property development?

"You see here, College Station is the next Austin but better cuz it's full of Aggies not Sips.  I am giving you the opportunity of a lifetime to get in on the ground floor in this community we're building with thousands of homes over the next decade, all with views of the legendary Kyle Field and our beautiful campus.  Once the secret is out that the Station is lit, you won't have this opportunity ever again."

redneck GIF

• Haha 5

46 minutes ago, PNWhornsfan said:

"You see here, College Station is the next Austin but better cuz it's full of Aggies not Sips.  I am giving you the opportunity of a lifetime to get in on the ground floor in this community we're building with thousands of homes over the next decade, all with views of the legendary Kyle Field and our beautiful campus.  Once the secret is out that the Station is lit, you won't have this opportunity ever again."

redneck GIF

you’re joking but that shit truly resonates with them.  a friend of mine from growing up went to aggy and is now raising his kids in CS and he thinks he is living in heaven. 

6 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

With Catalon coming in that means we have what- the best safety that's moved schools and the second best corner back?  Or something like it?  Along with a top 5 punter of all the guys that changed teams?

I know many were wetting the bed about how "inactive" we've been in using the portal to fill our needs, but my sense is we probably have 2 of the top 20 guys that have actually moved on from one place to another. I don't get the sense that we have lost a single player we didn't want to lose- am I missing someone?  Finally, JWhitt and Jones coming back will keep two of the top 15 players on our team in Austin for next year that we really weren't counting on keeping.  Combined with bringing in at least 1 more guy that fits in the top 20 of the roster from the transfer portal in Catalon that's 3 guys we didn't expect to be here while leaving the field of senior day against Baylor.  
We need a stud WR from the portal or we need Neyor to be healthy and a stud (since we won't know about Neyor until August prudence dictates we ought to take one that's really good) to finish off the WR room.  

We need a 1 year guy at LB to be a bridge from what we have now to the class coming in.

We don't need an Edge, per se, unless we'd like to have a really elite defense, so, we probably ought to get an edge.  But we just need to retain current guys and find those 3 parts and this team doesn't have any weaknesses next year. 

We only need a LB if Ford declares for the draft. If we can get either the South Carolina kid or the OSU kid at edge that would be a huge win. I agree we need a WR no matter we currently have in the room. We saw the room fall apart when Neyor went down, he can't go through that again.

I can see Adonai Mitchell entering, he had 2 fucking targets tonight.

Edited by HtownHorn

6 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Brunch is a combination of breakfast and lunch, where it sits between both standard meal times.

Lunch and Dinner would be some other combination, call it Linner or Dunch, whatever. But what you've done there is somehow combine Brunch and Dinner, while skipping over Lunch entirely despite the fact you'd be well past the Brunch designation, and well onto just "lunch." What in the ever loving fuck are you thinking here?

Giant motherfucker from Chicago tried to convince me that lunch is called dinner and dinner is called supper, all while he was smoking “fags”.  

i told him to take his dumb ass back to Chicago, so he snorted like 6 lines of meth and whooped my ass.  He whipped me so bad he had a heart attack, so really I won that fight because I’m still alive.   

7 hours ago, Jimbob said:

Giant motherfucker from Chicago tried to convince me that lunch is called dinner and dinner is called supper, all while he was smoking “fags”.  

i told him to take his dumb ass back to Chicago, so he snorted like 6 lines of meth and whooped my ass.  He whipped me so bad he had a heart attack, so really I won that fight because I’m still alive.   

Carrie Brownstein Television GIF

• Haha 5

13 hours ago, BornAndRaised said:

Aggy got their rapist back.

edit: thought this was one of the A&M threads. posted too much about A&M TEs, so going to spoiler it

Spoiler

i will be interested to see if there is some portal activity from one of the younger guys on the roster over this? specifically Jake Johnson?

image.png.6a5e50dfe824bb219afa5d1cd5d8716c.png

Johnson was the #1 TE and a top 100 player in the 22 class

Green was #4 and #105 overall in the 22 class

Melin Ohrstrom is a Sweedish guy that i thought they recruited as an OL but looks like i was wrong because he was the #6 TE and #216 in the 22 class

Platt is the #11 TE and #230 overall in the 23 class but is heavily propped up by 247 having him as the #95 player in the country? on3/espn/rivals have him as in the 60s, 50s and 40s in Texas. 247 has him at #19

Fernando Garza was a not great taken in 2021. took a redshirt then last year played in 8 games with no stats.

Green had 22 catches, Wright hat 9, Johnson had 1 and a walk on guy? had 2.

Edited by NoName

8 hours ago, tokamak said:

I can't believe it's 2023 and we're still doing the "Evan Stewart told people he's transferring to Texas" thing. Is that the new version of futureman's Waddle shtick?

Stewart was telling people that. That problem is that kid's words are the promise equivalent of Monopoly money.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I think the answer is targets. Worthy had over 100 targets, JWhitt 72, and Sanders 70. Bowers led Georgia with 82. If Mitchell came to Texas, which I seriously doubt, he woul be in line for 80+ targets. I doubt that happens at Georgia. 

9 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

So are we done with transfers in the secondary? Starters look like:

CB - Watts and Holmes

S - Thompson and Catalon

NB - Barron

Brooks, Crawford, and Muhammad as first line depth? I’m 

I think Watts  represents the baseline for the secondary. I would be very happy if someone beat him out at CB. Not saying it will happen, just that it would be great news 

32 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I think the answer is targets. Worthy had over 100 targets, JWhitt 72, and Sanders 70. Bowers led Georgia with 82. If Mitchell came to Texas, which I seriously doubt, he woul be in line for 80+ targets. I doubt that happens at Georgia. 

where are you getting target data, was looking for that a week or so ago for something else and would love to have it moving forward!

why do you think he would get 80+ targets with Worthy, JWhitt and Sanders all returning? can't imagine that many pulled from what went to Bijan + RoJo + KRob + Milton?

i assume the answer is basically a more equitable sharing across the board between those 3 + everyone else + more targets to WR than RBs got this year?

1 minute ago, NoName said:

where are you getting target data, was looking for that a week or so ago for something else and would love to have it moving forward!

why do you think he would get 80+ targets with Worthy, JWhitt and Sanders all returning? can't imagine that many pulled from what went to Bijan + RoJo + KRob + Milton?

i assume the answer is basically a more equitable sharing across the board between those 3 + everyone else + more targets to WR than RBs got this year?

I go here. https://www.rotowire.com/cfootball/targets.php?elig=senior

I have not found a full list that you can get for free

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I think Watts  represents the baseline for the secondary. I would be very happy if someone beat him out at CB. Not saying it will happen, just that it would be great news 

Yes, it would be great if we had players on our roster that were better than our starters...

Watts was pretty good for us. He and Barron were setting an edge more effectively than Ovie and without their run support, we would have been bad against anything wide of the tackles. Is he ideally a safety? Yes, of course. Can we win a championship, conference or otherwise, with him at corner? Yes, absolutely. 

• Hook 'Em 7

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

I go here. https://www.rotowire.com/cfootball/targets.php?elig=senior

I have not found a full list that you can get for free

ahhh i should just find somewhere that's good and pay for that.

here is what PFF has: https://premium.pff.com/ncaa/teams/2022/REGPO/texas-longhorns/receiving

image.png.8b0de631bcfbd9a35b6c33c7585c1e3f.png
full list which has ADOT, YAC/catch, yards per route run, drop %, where they are lining up, etc

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.d6375020c8500070eaa590e93410ed16.png

anyone want to split a PFF membership @ $80 / year?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Yes, it would be great if we had players on our roster that were better than our starters...

Watts was pretty good for us. He and Barron were setting an edge more effectively than Ovie and without their run support, we would have been bad against anything wide of the tackles. Is he ideally a safety? Yes, of course. Can we win a championship, conference or otherwise, with him at corner? Yes, absolutely. 

No argument. He is great vs the run and serviceable vs the pass. He is just not a high end cover guy. Texas will struggle on 3rd downs, until they find a legit pass rusher or legit cover guys in the secondary. 

3 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I don’t understand why folks keep under valuing Brooks. I see suggestions that he move to safety or that he’s going to be a backup, but as a true freshman he unseated Jamison at corner who had been starting here for forever. He’s looked like he belonged from day 1 and almost turned the Washington game around with a near miss on a pick 6.  Unless I’m missing something, that kid looks like a foundational piece and future all conference (or better) performer. 

Think it's bringing in Gavin Holmes. We now have three starting caliber corners and the assumption (probably incorrectly) is that Brooks is the odd man out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I don’t understand why folks keep under valuing Brooks. I see suggestions that he move to safety or that he’s going to be a backup, but as a true freshman he unseated Jamison at corner who had been starting here for forever. He’s looked like he belonged from day 1 and almost turned the Washington game around with a near miss on a pick 6.  Unless I’m missing something, that kid looks like a foundational piece and future all conference (or better) performer. 

That was IT. They floated the idea that Brook or Jordan would move to Safety in the Spring. That was earlier in the season. I think Jordan was actually playing a bit more at that point. If it was ever a legit question, Brooks answered it by the end of the season. Nobody thinks he is going to move now

• Hook 'Em 1

Let’s look at depth bc we need to be 2 deep everywhere. 

CB - Watts/Holmes/Jordan

CB - Brooks/Muhammad

S - Thompson

S - Catalon

NB - Barron/Guilbeau

Safety Depth: Crawford, Taffe, Allen, Williams, LTG

CB Depth: Brice (maybe a S) 

we have guys that can play multiple positions. Decent depth, a lot of unknowns. Williams is talented but isn’t an early enrollee and that will lead to a breakdown so imo he can’t be relied on early. Need to play him when we have a 3+ TD lead. Manny is an EE and will be counted on for depth early. 

If Catalon/Thompson gets hurt, I don’t trust Crawford. Someone else needs to step in. Spring ball will tell us more about depth. Barron and Guilbeau could play CB if needed but we have more numbers at Safety than CB but more experience at CB than S. 

Edited by TheContractor

Burton just did his idea of the secondary depth chart:

My thoughts on the portal for Texas have not changed.

Find starters. Find upgrades.

So far, the Longhorn coaches are three-for-three in the players they have attracted.

Jalen Catalon, who committed to Texas yesterday, is the latest in the group.

The former Arkansas safety was a three-year starter for the Razorbacks before injury befell him each of the past two seasons.

He was even named All-SEC as a redshirt freshman and a freshman All-American.

He has since received a clean bill of health after shoulder surgery, one I’m told the Longhorns and other teams checked out extensively before deciding to pursue further.

Safety was a big, big hole for the Longhorns this off-season. They needed immediate help and experience.

The additions of Catalon and Wake Forest corner Gavin Holmes all of a sudden give Texas an extremely experienced secondary heading into next year.

Here’s the starting five, at least on paper, all with starting experience:

Jahdae Barron
Jerrin Thompson
Gavin Holmes
Jalen Catalon
Ryan Watts

Add in Terrance Brooks and Jaylon Guilbeau and the Horns go seven deep in players with some starting experience.

That’s a significantly better starting point than the Horns had a year ago.

https://www.on3.com/teams/texas-longhorns/news/thoughts-on-the-cfp-national-championship-and-texas-2023-secondary/

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

I'd switch Holmes and Brooks.

Fair. I have the impression that Brooks is the higher ceiling long term guy, but Holmes may be more ready this year. 

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

We could always do better, but we have frequently done much worse than what Watts gave us this year. I can’t remember him ever being the difference in a win versus a loss, unless you include his missed sack opportunity on Bryce Young. 

It is nice to have multiple options at CB, and hopefully the competition will make them all better. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

A Horns With Heart meeting

Trigger GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

38 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Allow me to help you:

I see stupid people - sixth sense - quickmeme

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2