2023 Transfer Thread - Texas Capitalized, ATM Victimized

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Texas fans should consider contributing whatever they can, because the big money can't and won't blindly do outsized work on this forever. $5/month helps and anything up from there is huge. 

To the extent able to share, do you have stats on number of monthly contributors/avg contribution to Texas One Fund for football?  I bet it's better than most but not near enough given our alumni base.

22 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Has the staff even considered that both Bryce Young and Will Anderson both have another year of eligibility. Make them say no! I’m just not seeing any sense of urgency from these guys. 

If Sark doesn't give us a starting backfield of Bryce, Caleb, Quinn, and Arch next year he's dead to me.

15 minutes ago, Atticus said:

I know we just got Christian Jones back and have a lot of talented dudes coming up on their second year in the program under Kyle Flood, but why aren’t we going after any transfer OL?

Baylor took some two years ago and won the conference.

We have 15 OL. 14/15 are starting caliber and C/C+ Minimum , up to A level. If we add anyone , we are losing someone in the portal. We still might. Our main guys, talented guys are still on the bench learning. Great. If there was an all American Center, maybe we would try. But we are loaded with good to great talent at OL. 
Baylor too them bc they didnt have the talent and depth we do. We need to take more talent at other positions but not OL right now. Can argue OL is the most talented, even more than QB right now. Can argue that we could take someone at every other position on the team, WR(need to take 1 For sure), TE (after Sanders leaves next year), DL(weakest position in 2024 imo, need quality and numbers. Hope the redshirt Fr improve this year), Edge and ILB(experience), DB(got 2 starters).

The exodus at OSU doesn't just include players.  Derek Mason retiring rather than continuing as coach under Gundy.

I googled his age before I read the tweet...motherfucker is 53. That's arguably the prime of a football coach. But he's not retiring, he's taking a sabbatical. We'll see him on the sidelines again soon. But your original point is still valid, motherfucker decided to take an extended vacation than coach under Gundy and have his reputation tarnished by a team that's been gutted next season. 

He said stepping away from coaching in college. Seems like Jim Harbaugh or David Shaw is going to be the next coach of the Denver Broncos, Mason worked under those guys at Stanford. My bet would be DB coach, maybe DC in Denver. He’s made his money and coaching in the NFL has decidedly less bullshit tied to it.

2 minutes ago, MoJames said:

So who has had a worse Transfer Portal, aggy or the fighting Gundys?

A&M by far. At least OSU has brought in a handful of solid players from the portal.

A&M lost talent and there response was to add 2 DB's who have severely underperformed their 5 star recruiting ranking

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, txhorns said:

Dumb question amnesty:  I know the portal deadline is on January 18th but what exactly is that the deadline for?  Do players have to request to enter the portal by then?  Actually be in the portal after the 48 hour window?  Have found a new home?

Request to enter by then. Which means there might be a few guys who trickle in on the 19th or 20th. 

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

A&M by far. At least OSU has brought in a handful of solid players from the portal.

A&M lost talent and there response was to add 2 DB's who have severely underperformed their 5 star recruiting ranking.

I disagree and think it is OSU.  They have lost almost everyone who was worthwhile, including their 4 year starting QB.  They have gone from being a middle of the pack team to dogshit.  aggy at least has managed to keep most starters even if they are losing young depth.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, txhorns said:

I disagree and think it is OSU.  They have lost almost everyone who was worthwhile, including their 4 year starting QB.  They have gone from being a middle of the pack team to dogshit.  aggy at least has managed to keep most starters even if they are losing young depth.

Will have to agree to disagree. OSU lost more *starters* but several of them were about to get passed up (Dominic Richardson at RB) or couldn't stay healthy anyway (Ford at DE). It remains to be seen how much they will miss Sanders but he has been pretty mediocre the last couple years unless he is playing Texas.

They added two starting tackles from the G5 ranks, a really good LB from Tulsa, a solid edge rusher from Tulsa, a 1,000 yard rusher from Central Michigan and a couple of decent receivers. A&M hasn't added anything close to that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, txhorns said:

Maybe there is a discussion somewhere I haven't seen but would love some analysis/speculation as to WTF is going on there.  I know there was supposedly issues between Sanders and Gundy mid-season, but for the other starters they are losing, do we have a sense how much of it is OSU having no material NIL# vs. disgruntledness?

33 minutes ago, TheContractor said:

We have 15 OL. 14/15 are starting caliber and C/C+ Minimum , up to A level. If we add anyone , we are losing someone in the portal. We still might. Our main guys, talented guys are still on the bench learning. Great. If there was an all American Center, maybe we would try. But we are loaded with good to great talent at OL. 
Baylor too them bc they didnt have the talent and depth we do. We need to take more talent at other positions but not OL right now. Can argue OL is the most talented, even more than QB right now. Can argue that we could take someone at every other position on the team, WR(need to take 1 For sure), TE (after Sanders leaves next year), DL(weakest position in 2024 imo, need quality and numbers. Hope the redshirt Fr improve this year), Edge and ILB(experience), DB(got 2 starters).

I’m assuming you’re new here. Sarcasm.

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Another one.  Looks like they have started the process.

Champ game Monday, names likely submitted to the coaching staff on Tuesday, schools have 48 hours to enter the names in the portal, so yeah, them starting to show up today/tomorrow will make a lost of sense .

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

The NCAA just made changes yesterday that will limit players from just transferring year after year. That's as far as it will go, and honestly that's probably as far as they NEED to go here, as the market will take care of the rest of things. 

The new changes allow for a "mental health" exemption as long as it's documented by a mental health professional. I don't fall on either side of the fence on the legitimacy of that, but it seems like an awfully easy exemption to obtain.

Don't like your coach? See a mental health professional, document that the relationship is causing you anxiety and you need to transfer to a different school for mental health reasons. Easy peasy. 

FWIW - the mod on Georgia's On3 site didn't list Adonai Mitchell as one of the players they expect to hit the portal.  Also that Ladd post about entering the draft was apparently fake - though not Ladd's consideration to leave Georgia for the draft.  At this point the mod thinks it more likely than not that Ladd will be back.

Mod also said Georgia is doing their exit interviews with players now and expect all players transferring to be in by the end of the weekend.

*Mod when asked about AD Mitchell said that he had not heard anything about Mitchell wanting to portal or a connection to Texas.  Poster on another site said the 247 mod said a couple weeks ago AD was considering it, but that the expectation now is that he's staying.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Hook 'Em 2