2023 Transfer Thread - Texas Capitalized, ATM Victimized

closetojumping

52 minutes ago, Red Five said:

We've been hearing, "No really, Gbenda can win that job". Yes please on Utah St LB. 

I'm interested to hear what some of the depth chart and scheme jockeys on this board think about the 2023 LB depth and roles. We know Ford starts in one spot. Hill will start at another. How often do we expect to see 3 actual LBs on the field at once? They really like Lefau early. Blackwell continues to develop and they like the weight he's added, even if he is a bit of a tweener. But honestly, who gives a shit about his NFL prospects if he can fulfill LB duties at the college level?

I guess, to Red Five's point, how likely is it that we're watching a lot of Gbenda and Jett Bush in this cycle? My view up to now is that those guys will play sparingly, due to a combo of scheme and emerging talent. But it isn't like I've given it a lot of thought at all.

• Hook 'Em 3

Blackwell continues to develop and they like the weight he's added, even if he is a bit of a tweener. But honestly, who gives a shit about his NFL prospects if he can fulfill LB duties at the college level?

Exactly. Who should give a shit about his next level prospects. He can fill a role here and quite possibly pretty damn well. Gbenda can as well. It just may not be as a 3 down LBer.

39 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'm interested to hear what some of the depth chart and scheme jockeys on this board think about the 2023 LB depth and roles. We know Ford starts in one spot. Hill will start at another. How often do we expect to see 3 actual LBs on the field at once? They really like Lefau early. Blackwell continues to develop and they like the weight he's added, even if he is a bit of a tweener. But honestly, who gives a shit about his NFL prospects if he can fulfill LB duties at the college level?

I guess, to Red Five's point, how likely is it that we're watching a lot of Gbenda and Jett Bush in this cycle? My view up to now is that those guys will play sparingly, due to a combo of scheme and emerging talent. But it isn't like I've given it a lot of thought at all.

We're a Ford injury away from disaster IMO.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think the preference would be to run more of a traditional 4 man front with Jack and Buck plus two middle backers. That, of course, assumes that we have someone emerge at Buck that can consistently get to the QB. For as many shortcomings as Ovie had, he was able to spin down into a stance to some degree and come off the edge in unbalanced sets. Blackwell is not nearly big enough to do that and Lefau most likely is not ready for that either. I think the guy long term who has the potential to do that would be Derion Gullette, but he is a year or two from contributing. Sadly, the only guy with the profile to do that may be Jett Bush. 

Then you consider the sheer numbers that we have at edge, and I think they are really counting on someone to flip the switch next season. Tapp or Burke are my two early candidates unless Vasek comes out of the gates hot, with Finkley being a high floor low ceiling guy that can man the edge competently on normal run downs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Vertigo is just jealous of their special underwear 

You piece of shit bigot. They don't have special underwear. They have magic underwear.

No somebody go sign this Utah Tech defensive end, or whatever the hell is going on here. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, JFKFC said:

You piece of shit bigot. They don't have special underwear. They have magic underwear.

No somebody go sign this Utah Tech defensive end, or whatever the hell is going on here. 

Excited Wake Up GIF by Originals

I think the Colonel just woke up from his afternoon bender nap.

• Haha 5

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

If Hill's starting right out of the gate, that's pretty goddamn amazing. Maybe I have Malik on the mind but I thought linebacker had a high learning curve, even for hot-shots.

Edited by mwaadeeb
shit grammer

18 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

If Hill's starting right out of the gate, that's pretty goddamn amazing. Maybe I have Malik on the mind but I thought linebacker had a high learning curve, even for hot-shots.

It’s not amazing if he’s starting there by default because we have nothing returning at ILB besides Ford. 

6 hours ago, Vertigo said:

I think the preference would be to run more of a traditional 4 man front with Jack and Buck plus two middle backers. That, of course, assumes that we have someone emerge at Buck that can consistently get to the QB. For as many shortcomings as Ovie had, he was able to spin down into a stance to some degree and come off the edge in unbalanced sets. Blackwell is not nearly big enough to do that and Lefau most likely is not ready for that either. I think the guy long term who has the potential to do that would be Derion Gullette, but he is a year or two from contributing. Sadly, the only guy with the profile to do that may be Jett Bush. 

Then you consider the sheer numbers that we have at edge, and I think they are really counting on someone to flip the switch next season. Tapp or Burke are my two early candidates unless Vasek comes out of the gates hot, with Finkley being a high floor low ceiling guy that can man the edge competently on normal run downs. 

PK has based out of a 2-4 for over a decade now and I don’t see that changing. We have some unknowns at edge, but the odds of Finkley, Burke, and Tapp giving us average or better play at one edge spot are much higher than us having 3 competent off ball linebackers to start the season. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, I'm sure this is a minority opinion, and I'm sure plenty of folks will flock to tell me how shortsighted I am, but do we really need to chase another transfer WR? Yes, an injury can change everything for a position group, but we've got Neyor and Mitchell, who I both like more than Bryant. Plus the freshman, plus the returning kids, plus Savion Red who can move back in a pinch, plus the rest of our roster. Seems like chasing Bryant is just a good way to piss off Mitchell and Neyor. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah, I'm sure this is a minority opinion, and I'm sure plenty of folks will flock to tell me how shortsighted I am, but do we really need to chase another transfer WR? Yes, an injury can change everything for a position group, but we've got Neyor and Mitchell, who I both like more than Bryant. Plus the freshman, plus the returning kids, plus Savion Red who can move back in a pinch, plus the rest of our roster. Seems like chasing Bryant is just a good way to piss off Mitchell and Neyor. 

Sark was able to manage a star studded WR room at Bama, so it's not first rodeo dealing with possible WR divas. 

Risk-im-willing-to-take GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

9 scholarship receivers right now, 2 of which are freshman, 1 who is running track and not participating in football and another who is coming back from a major knee injury. And then you have Jaden Alexis and Casey Cain who are most likely getting recruited over in the next year if they haven’t already.

I love our top 3 (Worthy, Mitchell, Whittington) but after that there are a lot of unknowns and injury question marks. 

If Bryant wants to come here and be a better version of Tarique Milton then you welcome him with open arms. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Sark was able to manage a star studded WR room at Bama, so it's not first rodeo dealing with possible WR divas. 

Risk-im-willing-to-take GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Yeah, well, it's easy when they're churning out championships and draft pick WRs. Oftentimes with guys only having 1-2 years of performance. That's not where we are as a program or a roster. These guys all want playing time, and even if they believe Sark can get them to the NFL, he can't if they don't get playing time. You can call it a chicken and egg situation, but it's obviously not the same dynamic at all. You've got to have skins on the wall before you try pointing to all the skins on the wall. 

12 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

9 scholarship receivers right now, 2 of which are freshman, 1 who is running track and not participating in football and another who is coming back from a major knee injury. And then you have Jaden Alexis and Casey Cain who are most likely getting recruited over in the next year if they haven’t already.

I love our top 3 (Worthy, Mitchell, Whittington) but after that there are a lot of unknowns and injury question marks. 

If Bryant wants to come here and be a better version of Tarique Milton then you welcome him with open arms. 

Yeah, I think that's what Sark should tell all WRs on campus. "Listen, this guy is basically Tarique Milton style depth. Just don't tell him, shhhh."

You might be onto something there. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I can think of a lot of reasons, like hundreds of thousands of them, for why I am not worried about Neyor, Mitchell, Worthy, Cook, Thompson, or Whittington getting their feathers ruffled if Bryant Jr. were to come to Texas. The other guys need to realize it is up or out time, so I don't give a shit about their concerns either. 

This is how you build high quality depth that can play with anyone. Now, pull your pants up from around your ankles and stop pissing like this in public. 

Timely article from 247

Spoiler

Former USC wideout Gary Bryant took his official visit to Oregon over the weekend and the Ducks made a big impression.

Bryant previously officially visited Arizona and Miami and unofficially visited UCLA.

“Oregon was a great trip,” Bryant said. “I actually took an official trip to Oregon in high school so I was already familiar with the campus, the facilities and the city of Eugene.

“It was all familiar to me but still great to see it all again. They’re doing some upgrades but everyone knows how great the facilities are in terms of the weight room, locker room, indoor and outdoor. It’s as good as any in the country and they really take care of their athletes there.”

Bryant was also very familiar with Oregon WR coach Junior Adams.

“I took an official visit to Washington in high school too because of coach Adams,” Bryant said. “He’s a great guy and a great coach. He hit me up right away when I was in the portal and just kind of said, ‘let’s do this, get over here.’

“He’s someone I feel I can talk to about anything, football and life. We have a great relationship and it’s so natural, nothing forced or awkward. It’s all love over there and I know he’s someone that can push me and help me get to the next level.”

Bryant said he quickly bonded with head coach Dan Lanning as well.

“Lanning is an unbelievable guy,” Bryant said. “He’s a defensive minded head coach so I was picking his brain, talking to him about the offense, the scheme and how they would use me and he answered everything. 

“The players love him. I was asking everyone about him and what’s he like to play for and they said he’s a total players coach that you can talk to about anything, he’s always available.”

In terms of the offense, Bryant said he likes the plan in place for him.

“I talked a lot with coach Stein, the new OC,” Bryant said. “He broke it all down and I know from his background, he likes to throw the ball around. He has had offenses with multiple 1,000 yard receivers and he said they need a guy like me who can do different things. 

“Talking to him and coach Adams, they want to move me around, play me out wide, in the slot and stretch the field. He knows I can do the underneath stuff and also get vertical so it’s an exciting fit.”

Bryant was hosted by defensive lineman Keyon Ware-Hudson. 

“I know Keyon well and played with his brother Kyron at USC,” Bryant said. “I was around a lot of the players, Bo Nix and some of the other receivers. I connected really well with those guys and everyone was very positive.

“The thing with Oregon is it’s a place where you can win and realistically compete for a playoff. It’s a great college atmosphere there at Autzen and like I said, the players are taken care of and given every advantage to be successful.”

This weekend, Bryant will take his final official visit to Texas A&M. 

‘I’m basically down to four schools now,” Bryant said. “Arizona, Miami, Oregon and A&M are the schools I’m focusing on. There are a few others that are still reaching out but those are the main ones for me. I can't wait to see A&M, I've heard great things so I'm going in with an open mind.

“The plan is to take this final visit and then make a decision although I might not go public until May. I might tell the coaches ahead of time but we have something special in May where I want to announce it officially so that's the plan as of now.” 

Edit: Standish

3499738f73ceb2107f0d6a7c1ab58066.png

Edited by Teryor
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

It makes sense for Texas to take quality depth, although I'm not totally sure why Bryant Jr would be interested when snaps might be tough to come by, unless he's looking at hoping to start next year after Neyor, Mitchell, Whitt, Worthy, etc all likely move on 

23 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Timely article from 247

Reveal hidden contents

Former USC wideout Gary Bryant took his official visit to Oregon over the weekend and the Ducks made a big impression.

Bryant previously officially visited Arizona and Miami and unofficially visited UCLA.

“Oregon was a great trip,” Bryant said. “I actually took an official trip to Oregon in high school so I was already familiar with the campus, the facilities and the city of Eugene.

“It was all familiar to me but still great to see it all again. They’re doing some upgrades but everyone knows how great the facilities are in terms of the weight room, locker room, indoor and outdoor. It’s as good as any in the country and they really take care of their athletes there.”

Bryant was also very familiar with Oregon WR coach Junior Adams.

“I took an official visit to Washington in high school too because of coach Adams,” Bryant said. “He’s a great guy and a great coach. He hit me up right away when I was in the portal and just kind of said, ‘let’s do this, get over here.’

“He’s someone I feel I can talk to about anything, football and life. We have a great relationship and it’s so natural, nothing forced or awkward. It’s all love over there and I know he’s someone that can push me and help me get to the next level.”

Bryant said he quickly bonded with head coach Dan Lanning as well.

“Lanning is an unbelievable guy,” Bryant said. “He’s a defensive minded head coach so I was picking his brain, talking to him about the offense, the scheme and how they would use me and he answered everything. 

“The players love him. I was asking everyone about him and what’s he like to play for and they said he’s a total players coach that you can talk to about anything, he’s always available.”

In terms of the offense, Bryant said he likes the plan in place for him.

“I talked a lot with coach Stein, the new OC,” Bryant said. “He broke it all down and I know from his background, he likes to throw the ball around. He has had offenses with multiple 1,000 yard receivers and he said they need a guy like me who can do different things. 

“Talking to him and coach Adams, they want to move me around, play me out wide, in the slot and stretch the field. He knows I can do the underneath stuff and also get vertical so it’s an exciting fit.”

Bryant was hosted by defensive lineman Keyon Ware-Hudson. 

“I know Keyon well and played with his brother Kyron at USC,” Bryant said. “I was around a lot of the players, Bo Nix and some of the other receivers. I connected really well with those guys and everyone was very positive.

“The thing with Oregon is it’s a place where you can win and realistically compete for a playoff. It’s a great college atmosphere there at Autzen and like I said, the players are taken care of and given every advantage to be successful.”

This weekend, Bryant will take his final official visit to Texas A&M. 

‘I’m basically down to four schools now,” Bryant said. “Arizona, Miami, Oregon and A&M are the schools I’m focusing on. There are a few others that are still reaching out but those are the main ones for me. I can't wait to see A&M, I've heard great things so I'm going in with an open mind.

“The plan is to take this final visit and then make a decision although I might not go public until May. I might tell the coaches ahead of time but we have something special in May where I want to announce it officially so that's the plan as of now.” 

Edit: Standish

3499738f73ceb2107f0d6a7c1ab58066.png

I guess this makes sense, even if adding the guy at Texas would have been awesome for numerous reasons. ATM going to have to post some major NIL dough to compete with Oregon on this one. The more they do of that, the harder it is to hang on to the guys they've already got on the roster. 

23 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I guess this makes sense, even if adding the guy at Texas would have been awesome for numerous reasons. ATM going to have to post some major NIL dough to compete with Oregon on this one. The more they do of that, the harder it is to hang on to the guys they've already got on the roster. 

Of all of the places on their roster I want them spending money, WR and DL are probably the two spots with the least uplift in on field performance. They have three quality starting WRs right now, and Bryant is not going to displace Stewart, Muhammed, or Smith. The fact that he is even making the trip to colleyville is perplexing given his other options. 

Neyor is coming off surgery so I think we probably pick our spots with him. Thompson is fast but didnt show a whole lot plus is missing spring for track. Cook is a true freshman-even Marvin Harrison Jr wasnt Marvin Harrison Jr his true freshman year

An injury to Worthy, Mitchell, or Whittington means one of those guys or Casey Cain is gonna be counted on.

If the USC guy can ball we can use him.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Askew said:

People on this board would legit have said “nah I’m good, too many mouths to feed” to Jordan Addison transferring here last year. 

Our 3rd WR had less than 10 catches last year. 

Your memory seems, askew.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

God dammit I’m starting to talk myself into this. Worthy-Whittington-Mitchell-Sanders is a filthy lineup. Toss in Cook for some gadget shit or screens and Neyor is still there as a backup big WR and who knows maybe he’s better than Mitchell. 

By game 5 we’ll somehow be starting a 5’9 walk on. 

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

God dammit I’m starting to talk myself into this. Worthy-Whittington-Mitchell-Sanders is a filthy lineup. Toss in Cook for some gadget shit or screens and Neyor is still there as a backup big WR and who knows maybe he’s better than Mitchell. 

By game 5 we’ll somehow be starting a 5’9 walk on. 

Neyor starts if he isn’t hesitant coming off of the acl.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Epps is awful, but Amik Robertson was a dawg. Really good college player.

If I’m remembering correctly we showed some late interest in him out of high school, but ultimately didn’t pursue along with every other P5 program. Kid still made his way to the NFL from Louisiana Tech despite the 5’8 height.

• Hook 'Em 3

59 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

https://247sports.com/player/deangelo-carter-46048082/

Is there any smoke on this guy? Minnesota fans seem unhappy he's leaving. 

He's a take based on his name.

Trill (album) - Wikipedia

53 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Didn't Texas have interest in him coming out of high school? He might be a natural replacement to Ja'Tavion Sanders.

On 3/21/2023 at 1:49 PM, SydneyCarton said:

well, shit. i thought this was from yesterday not 3 days ago. Bryant visiting A&M now. spoilering all of this because it's irrelevant.

Spoiler

position wise where does he fit?

i THINK Worthy/Thompson/Cook play the X. i think Niblett plays here?

Z is Neyor and Cain. i think Mitchell slots in here?

H is Whittington and then who even knows beyond that?

no clue where Moore (played a lot of slot in HS?) or Alexis fit in (is he a Z?)

image.thumb.png.c3869f8899c803641a3c5fdcc6e6dd3a.png

after this year, odds are that Worthy/Neyor/Whittington are all gone.

Mitchell had 2 years to play 2. Bryant Jr Has 2 to play 2. lots of smoke around Moddon not ending up in the class.

so if those 3 leave you go into next year with some combo of:

• Mitchell
  • Cain
  • Alexis
  • Thompson
  • Cook
  • Niblett
  • Moore Jr

of those guys, can't imagine that Alexis stays if he doesn't play again. Cain should get less playing time than last year. both of those guys could transfer. whispers around Niblett and if he is actually a WR have been around since before he committed.

i think there is a decent chance you go into next year happy with Cook and Mitchell and then a lot of unknowns behind them.

i generally agree with you on chasing him - why risk it?

Edited by NoName

On 3/24/2023 at 3:26 PM, UDontKnow said:

Didn't Texas have interest in him coming out of high school? He might be a natural replacement to Ja'Tavion Sanders.

No, he was a camp invite monitored for growth. Same class as Sanders, Davis, and Helm.

Gumms was interested, though. His 247 profile picture was him in Texas gear for a long time

9298749.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

So not knowing where this goes does anybody think this guy is worth getting? Are we even an option since he took an official visit to Texas?

I have no idea about Kel'el, but if Kal El ever becomes available, we should definitely sign him. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4