2023 Transfer Thread - Texas Capitalized, ATM Victimized

closetojumping

4 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I'm not familiar with him but PFF had him at 70.5 for this year. 84.0 as a pass blocker so that's pretty neat. 

Preseason All-Sun Belt Second Team (coaches/media) ... PFF Preseason All-Sun Belt First Team ... Phil Steele Preseason All-Sun Belt Second Team ... Athlon Sports Preseason All-Sun Belt Third Team ... Tabbed as the No. 20 interior offensive lineman in the nation by PFF going into the season.

All-Sun Belt Honorable Mention ... PFF All-Sun Belt Second Team ... Started all 12 games at right guard ... Fourth-rated offensive lineman in the Sun Belt by PFF ... Second-rated right guard in the Sun Belt by PFF ... 859 snaps played (855 at right guard, 4 at left guard) ... One sack surrendered on 477 pass plays.

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

might this guy be better option than George?

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Preseason All-Sun Belt Second Team (coaches/media) ... PFF Preseason All-Sun Belt First Team ... Phil Steele Preseason All-Sun Belt Second Team ... Athlon Sports Preseason All-Sun Belt Third Team ... Tabbed as the No. 20 interior offensive lineman in the nation by PFF going into the season.

All-Sun Belt Honorable Mention ... PFF All-Sun Belt Second Team ... Started all 12 games at right guard ... Fourth-rated offensive lineman in the Sun Belt by PFF ... Second-rated right guard in the Sun Belt by PFF ... 859 snaps played (855 at right guard, 4 at left guard) ... One sack surrendered on 477 pass plays.

You think Flood’s gonna go after a guy who’s 6’2, 300 LBs? 

Edited by Burt Macklin

58 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Another story that I don't think we discussed at any length but that is also germane to the portal cycle is Marcus Washington to Nebraska. Washington saw what was going on with Worthy or Mathis, I can't remember which, and decided, "fuck it, I want to get paid too" and without any preamble or fact-checking, put his application into it.

Texas didn't want Washington to leave, but they weren't about to pay him at that point. So they said "good luck" to him and his phone blew up with all of like 2 schools interested in bringing him in and neither interested in paying him. So he wound up at Nebraska wondering what the hell just happened.

Well, Marcus did catch 31 passes this year at Nebraska, which is more than he caught (total) in three years at Texas.  Of course it was on a 4-8 team that was 6th in the Big-10 west, but still ...

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Regarding the Waddle joke, it's one of the many Surly Dad Jokes that have long ago worn out their welcome. I wish there was an "ignore" feature for certain words and phrases, but here we are.

Agreed.  But Fuck the Brocks never gets old 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Has there been a more lucrative sponsorship for the corporation than "Bijan Mustardson"? I can't imagine they paid a remarkable amount for his endorsement, and they've earned regular mentions/impressions on nationally-televised games. But even if they paid $1m+, it seems the PR they've received is worth it. To me, these are the kinds of synergies and partnerships that make NIL interesting.  

If I'm the Lambo dealer I'm already trying to get Arch in the next free lease.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Yes there are replacements for Worthy, but he still is a very special receiver, even though for whatever reason we didn’t see it this year. Special receivers typically make a huge difference in offense productivity. 

49 minutes ago, Bigbend1812 said:

Just get JWhitt to stick and give him 8-10 targets a game.   Baller.  

Despite the fact that JWhitt is arguably the fastest player on the team when clocked in the off-season, Whitt has never shown he's a deep threat WR that can take the top off a defense. So he can't replace Worthy.

• Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Despite the fact that JWhitt is arguably the fastest player on the team when clocked in the off-season, Whitt has never shown he's a deep threat WR that can take the top off a defense. So he can't replace Worthy.

He doesn’t have to be a direct replacement but  it would be nice to see him run a Go or 2. I want he and Sanders as the “go to” options in passing game.  

13 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

What did he do in season?

Not much. Injured. Dad passed away midseason. But he is a solid LB'er..better than DTD for sure (low bar)

The return of Antonio Grier is hugely important to USF’s chances of a return to winning ways. The fifth-year senior linebacker led the team in tackles (92), tackles for loss (8), sacks (3.0), interceptions (2), and forced fumbles (2). Long story short; Grier is a force in all phases of defense.

He possesses impressive sideline-to-sideline range, has the fluidity to drop back into coverage, and showcases good hands and instincts in coverage. Flying downhill with good speed, Grier can also tackle with good technique and ferocity.

10. Antonio Grier, USF

HT: 6002
WT: 213
2-star (0.7953) Super Redshirt Junior from Mays (Atlanta, GA)
While Antonio Grier is a little bit undersized and could use filling his frame a little better, an NFL team could be willing to take a shot on him with the intention of building back his frame and developing him into a strong half-field linebacker. He’s a good tackler, flashes strong run defense, and can be capable in pass coverage.

Pros:

• Has some good lateral quickness to his game, especially to find the hole. 
  • Pretty fluid hips. Can change direction well, especially adjusting to a diagnose.
  • Nasty, aggressive tackler. Attacks the football. Very strong defender. Wraps up well. Has the ability to work off of blocks and impact run lanes. 
  • Great timing with the blitz, works through traffic very well. Doesn’t offer any impact when he’s caught in traffic. 
  • Good in zone coverage. Reacts well to the play in front of him. 
  • Flashes good instincts. 

Cons:

• Not as quick or as fast as he needs to be to play as an efficient starter at the NFL level. 
  • Really just needs to continue to work on building his frame. Lacks upper body strength needed to control tackles at the next level. 
  • Lacks some lower body strength to really be an explosive athlete. 
  • Pursuit angles could be better, seems to over pursue a bit. Doesn’t hurt him as much in college as it will at the next level. 

Edited by pacman

Seen a few posts from people speculating that Neyor might portal. Where’s this coming from? Seems like he’ll have an important role in the offense once he comes back healthy. We need deep threat guys like him. 
The problem for us is the portal comes with NIL enticements that we'll have to at least match. Will there be excitement to retain someone already on the team yet nobody has seen play in burnt orange..along with the question of "will he be 100% by September?"

It will be even more difficult if there are some really good receiver options in the portal that are showing interest in the horns.

Expect a handful of Longhorns to go in the portal as soon as it opens. We count about 6-8 who will be gone before the bowl game.

We are watching for a departure that hasn’t been speculated about much. It will come as a surprise. He played this year and would have played next year. Texas should be able to replace equal value or even upgrade, though.

S – definitely 1, maybe 2 depending on exPorts

In checking with sources over the weekend it’s expected Jaylan Ford, Ryan Watts, and Isaiah Neyor will be returning.

Seems to indicate a possible surprise player will explore the portal from the Safety position. My guess is Crawford and nobody from Surly will shed a tear.

Inside Scoop: Texas is gearing up for portal madness - On3

Edited by pacman
  • Hook 'Em 8

32 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Isn’t wease the one that @Constant quoted about venables as evidence the team is still with him?

I responded in the other thread, but this isn’t a shocking development. This is his second trip to the portal. And it doesn’t make anything he said after Saturdays game untrue. 

He’s looking to be a bigger part of an offense somewhere. He got buried at OU after his injury and hasn’t had great success earning his spot back. 

27 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

He's absolutely terrible. Any program that signs that guy will be giving the rest of us an indication that they're lost on the coaching staff and will be fired within the next two seasons.

He is a pretty sick athlete at 6'3". He would be an interesting spec for someone at WR. I think Texas will have better options. 

Someone wrote this on him as a recruit:

2018 5A Honorable Mention All-State Offense. An absolute stud that can score anytime he touches the ball. A better runner than passer, has the speed that can go the distance on any play. Excellent in the zone read. Outstanding speed. 40 time listed at 4.5 but appears faster. Has run 100M in 10.5.

Edited by Codaxx

25 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Night crew is responsible for finding our next punter in the portal

Recruit them to the portal....

Cincy and Arizona State's punters both averaged over 45 ypc and are sophomores.

both programs are going through coaching changes.

image.thumb.png.6a01abc1d56cfa83e6d083dc5d8f0f30.png

image.thumb.png.bd1aa24a9b03c3fae1aaa511b971c493.png

image.thumb.png.96ab65d1530d01b66120e5fb200587d0.png

image.thumb.png.3f3ee855938e1f18409af91a761b6d6a.png

image.thumb.png.5a90021325ac0ed8e5b4d985849914d0.png

image.thumb.png.01d3aff32e5c177f15d35e09228bbe05.png

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 4

17 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

He is a pretty sick athlete at 6'3". He would be an interesting spec for someone at WR. I think Texas will have better options. 

Someone wrote this on him as a recruit:

2018 5A Honorable Mention All-State Offense. An absolute stud that can score anytime he touches the ball. A better runner than passer, has the speed that can go the distance on any play. Excellent in the zone read. Outstanding speed. 40 time listed at 4.5 but appears faster. Has run 100M in 10.5.

If he goes somewhere and plays WR, fine, maybe not the worst move by a staff. I don't know what indicators you have in your hip pocket that would portend a position switch, however. 

Every time that clown went into a game for Arkansas, they would have been better off going with a triple option offense from that moment forward. He has the throwing ability of an injured 6th grade softball second basewoman. 

On top of all of that, if memory serves, his mother is a helicoptering nightmare with her hand out. I hope we track what happens with this guy, because the outcome could be hilarious. "What are you going to pay my son to lead your program, Coach Kill/Dimel/Gonzales/Littrell?" --"Uhh, pizza? We're just looking for some back-up support, miss."

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

If he goes somewhere and plays WR, fine, maybe not the worst move by a staff. I don't know what indicators you have in your hip pocket that would portend a position switch, however. 

Every time that clown went into a game for Arkansas, they would have been better off going with a triple option offense from that moment forward. He has the throwing ability of an injured 6th grade softball second basewoman. 

On top of all of that, if memory serves, his mother is a helicoptering nightmare with her hand out. I hope we track what happens with this guy, because the outcome could be hilarious. "What are you going to pay my son to lead your program, Coach Kill/Dimel/Gonzales/Littrell?" --"Uhh, pizza? We're just looking for some back-up support, miss."

Sure but a certain highly reputable scout/journalist (and dinner friend of yours) said that he was the next Cam Newton

• Haha 5

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

He has flirted with WR at Arkansas and if he wants to play in the NFL that will be the position. I was just thinking the LSU should be the final nail in the coffin for his QB dreams, but kids are pretty stubborn. Just saying if he agreed to play WR, he is a interesting spec. 

3 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Sure but a certain highly reputable scout/journalist (and dinner friend of yours) said that he was the next Cam Newton

I can't tell if this is a reference to EJ Holland and his confusing his meal with SLX as me, or if you believe that EJH and I actually went to dinner, or if this is a serious reference to one of my buddies that does do work in the college landscape and some stupid ass thing they wrote up about Hornsby at the time of his recruitment. So that makes this post delicious.

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Arkansas side saying he didn't want to position swap, thinks he's a QB still.

• Haha 1

nside Scoop: Texas is gearing up for portal madness

Eric Nahlin•about 4 hours

Article written by:Eric Nahlin

Steve Sarkisian (Will Gallagher/Inside Texas)

For non-graduate transfers the FBS transfer portal isn’t officially open for business until next Monday, December 5th, but that hasn’t stopped a number of players from announcing their intentions to enter. 

Two names to keep in mind are Missouri wide receiver Dominic Lovett and Cincinnati defensive back JQ Hardaway. These are not the types the staff will drop everything and pursue but they’re quality players who would help upgrade the roster. What they really are is a reminder the portal is going to be overflowing with talent.

Our goal for the next six weeks will be to not get caught off guard by any surprises, especially on the departure side, though with the portal, that’s always a possibility. 

ExPorts

Steve Sarkisian will be holding exit interviews similar to last year, and like last year, we’re guaranteed a number of mutual parting of ways. Different than last year, however, most of the guys we’re expecting to leave are simply leaving due to being passed on the depth chart. This is the natural life cycle of modern roster management. It always happened before, the scale is just different.

Expect a handful of Longhorns to go in the portal as soon as it opens. We count about 6-8 who will be gone before the bowl game.

We are watching for a departure that hasn’t been speculated about much. It will come as a surprise. He played this year and would have played next year. Texas should be able to replace equal value or even upgrade, though.

Wide receiver is a big need independent of what Xavier Worthy decides to do (this is not an Xavier Worthy thread). Texas is going to lose numbers at the position regardless and they weren’t exactly deep this year after Isaiah Neyor went down.

ImPorts

Depending on portal departures Texas may be looking for some depth pieces to develop. That’s why a guy like Hardaway would get a look despite his lack of experience. He would be a more immediate replacement for missing on the late-cycle defensive backs Texas is after (Javien Toviano, Tyler Scott) should things go that way.

Given the fact class numbers don’t matter, Texas would take a player at just about any position if he fits a certain need, whether starter, depth, developmental piece, etc. The top priority will of course be immediate starters at positions of need. In that regard safety and wide receiver are the two most glaring needs but another need or two will emerge.

Invariably a player will enter the portal and someone will ask if Texas has interest in them. Texas is going to do homework on a ton of players, so degree of interest will vary. They’ve already done homework on a number of players as news about potential portal entrants makes the rounds behind the scenes. 

Staying

In checking with sources over the weekend it’s expected Jaylan Ford, Ryan Watts, and Isaiah Neyor will be returning. We’ll still await to see what Ford hears from NFL circles after his scintillating finish to the season before celebrating that news. Watts had a good year but he might not be a corner in the NFL. We asked about Neyor because apparently he removed ‘Texas’ from his Instagram. That was emasculating but we did it for you, the overly anxious reader.

Reminder

Texas is going to be a net winner from Portal Madness. That doesn’t mean it will win every duel, but on balance Texas is going to fare better than just about anyone else. Smart fans won’t get too high or low, they’ll wait to see how the whole portal class shapes up.

WR – 2

OL – maybe 1 

TE – maybe 1 receiving threat

Edge – probably 1

IDL – maybe 1 but Sweat returning is big

LB – maybe 1 depending on what Anthony Hill does

S – definitely 1, maybe 2 depending on exPorts

CB – maybe 1 depending on finish to ‘23 class

P – 1

Just as we hear about coaching carousel info out of our market, we hear about potential transfers as well. There are some big names floating out there as potential portal entrants. If certain guys go in, the market will be crazy for them. That’s assuming their destination isn’t predetermined.

This should be fun.

Justin Wells co-authored this post.

• Hook 'Em 2