2023 Transfer Thread - Texas Capitalized, ATM Victimized

closetojumping

If this mustard company blows up they may double down on their partnership as well. They're interesting parallels because I think Vuori was a startup when they first partnered with that LSU gymnast, and now they've raised like $400 million. I was thinking about it from the angle of small local companies who see obvious partnerships based on something as ridiculous as Bijan/Dijan name similarities. That sponsorship can result in substantial exposure for what I guess would be a relatively modest investment. Obviously Bijan is a unicorn. But this is probably the model for a case study on how/why NIL can be beneficial for both parties. 
Regarding Lambo, my understanding is that the sponsorship was with the Austin dealership. Since it's resulted in national exposure, I wonder if the local dealership can go back to corporate and negotiate a portion of the funds they paid to be reimbursed due to the national exposure it generated. 

Is the Austin Lamborghini dealership owned by a Texas fan or something? Because I doubt there’s a big pool of people that thought “gee, I didn’t want one before, but now that this college running back is driving one, I’m going to go buy a Lamborghini!”

12 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Is the Austin Lamborghini dealership owned by a Texas fan or something? Because I doubt there’s a big pool of people that thought “gee, I didn’t want one before, but now that this college running back is driving one, I’m going to go buy a Lamborghini!”

Pretty sure we figured out this summer that it’s ran by some young guy who was working as an intern at Subway in Cancun as of 2015.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

He's not. I don't believe they have any connections to Texas. 

Here's the best article I've seen on the deal: https://www.on3.com/college/texas-longhorns/news/bijan-robinson-lamborghini-austin-deal-parternship-texas-longhorns-football-running-back-nil-name-image-likeness/

There's a lot of people with money to burn moving to Austin right now. A single sale is six figures in revenue. Bijan (and other UT players) are some of the biggest celebrities in the city. It makes sense from a marketing standpoint. And apparently it went well enough to catch the attention of lambo hq in Italy. 

Also I googled the dealership and they have JWhitt listed as a Marketing & PR Intern on the website. So that's pretty neat: https://www.lamborghiniaustin.com/lamborghini-austin-staff-austin-tx#

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

He's not. I don't believe they have any connections to Texas. 
Here's the best article I've seen on the deal: https://www.on3.com/college/texas-longhorns/news/bijan-robinson-lamborghini-austin-deal-parternship-texas-longhorns-football-running-back-nil-name-image-likeness/
There's a lot of people with money to burn moving to Austin right now. A single sale is six figures in revenue. Bijan (and other UT players) are some of the biggest celebrities in the city. It makes sense from a marketing standpoint. And apparently it went well enough to catch the attention of lambo hq in Italy. 
Also I googled the dealership and they have JWhitt listed as a Marketing & PR Intern on the website. So that's pretty neat: https://www.lamborghiniaustin.com/lamborghini-austin-staff-austin-tx#

Interesting. I’m honestly surprised that associating with Bijan could have a significant return for that kind of brand/product/price point. Human beings are weird.

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

Interesting. I’m honestly surprised that associating with Bijan could have a significant return for that kind of brand/product/price point. Human beings are weird.

They mentioned it and did features around it at least a half a dozen times. During games watched by 2-10M. Literally tens of millions in total impressions for the cost of a loaner car for 6 months or a year. That’s a huge win for them. It has to be. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Just now, longhornmatt said:

Some broadcast next year:

Nessler:  Today’s AFLAC trivia question - Who was the biggest spending NIL sponsor last year?

Danielson: Hmm, that’s a tough one.  Bijan Robinson had the Lamborghini and mustard brand.  Nike and Phil Knight took care of some guys.  But I’m going to say it was Dr. Pepper doing the ads with Bryce Young.

Nessler:  The answer is … Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman Al Saud.  Oh,  the, uh, thing … gross.  Let’s get back to the game.

I more meant mid 9 figures as in- marry a billionaire - then take half in the divorce. 

They mentioned it and did features around it at least a half a dozen times. During games watched by 2-10M. Literally tens of millions in total impressions for the cost of a loaner car for 6 months or a year. That’s a huge win for them. It has to be. 

Yeah, I mean I get that, but they’re not selling mustard. My thinking has been that the pool of people who can buy that car is pretty small, and anyone that would even consider dropping that kind of money on a car is going to be plenty familiar with and have an established impression of the brand already. Just seems a little odd to me that Bijan rolling in a Lambo would move the needle.

But hey, they wouldn’t be interested in continuing the partnership if it was a flop so I’m not arguing with the results. Just find it interesting. Don’t want to threadjack beyond that.

6 minutes ago, RichUT said:

There is a lot of overthinking happening on this whole Lamborghini discussion. I’m sure the ROI didn’t pencil out based on increased conversion alone, but ultra luxury brands place an outsized value on consistently being associated with the best. That’s all it was about.

This right here. Lambo just needs to have its brand seem cool. Over time, eventually somebody is going to be deciding between a Lambo and a Ferrari, and the "cool factor" is going to sway their decision more than track times.

• Like 1

I'd be shocked if he isn't more rigid with that when considering potential safeties. You don't want your safeties at greater risk of getting high pointed. You also don't want your safeties too small to effectively handle run support. 

Just look at the guys we offer and really pursue coming out of HS. 

Edited by Atticus

47 minutes ago, RichUT said:

There is a lot of overthinking happening on this whole Lamborghini discussion. I’m sure the ROI didn’t pencil out based on increased conversion alone, but ultra luxury brands place an outsized value on consistently being associated with the best. That’s all it was about.

It was just a paid for lease as I understand it. Very minimal investment for the amount of publicity it got. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

It was just a paid for lease as I understand it. Very minimal investment for the amount of publicity it got. 

If his paid-for lease makes him a lambo lover for life, I am betting the markup on a top-tier lambo sale will more than offset the write off on a lower-level lambo lease.

Combine that it the advertising and prestige implications and you do this deal 100 out of 100 times for a legit talent like Bijan.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, gmr548 said:

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Yeah, I mean I get that, but they’re not selling mustard. My thinking has been that the pool of people who can buy that car is pretty small, and anyone that would even consider dropping that kind of money on a car is going to be plenty familiar with and have an established impression of the brand already. Just seems a little odd to me that Bijan rolling in a Lambo would move the needle.

But hey, they wouldn’t be interested in continuing the partnership if it was a flop so I’m not arguing with the results. Just find it interesting. Don’t want to threadjack beyond that.

You’re a fine poster, but this falls into the category of everyone thinking they’re a marketer, but very few actually are. You have no understanding of how aspirational luxury brand marketing works, and you shouldn’t be sharing that with those who do. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You’re a fine poster, but this falls into the category of everyone thinking they’re a marketer, but very few actually are. You have no understanding of how aspirational luxury brand marketing works, and you shouldn’t be sharing that with those who do. 

the dude your opinion GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

This right here. Lambo just needs to have its brand seem cool. Over time, eventually somebody is going to be deciding between a Lambo and a Ferrari, and the "cool factor" is going to sway their decision more than track times.

Anybody choosing a lambo over Ferrari has bad taste and was never cool
  • Hook 'Em 3

32 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

Hey!  We havent crowdsourced somebody in awhile. I think we have a candidate

But if we do that someone else will just fill the vacuum of Poster Who Has No Opinions of His Own and Asks Others to Tell Him What to Think to the Point That He Thinks Geoff Ketchum Provides Good Discussion.

• Rage+1 1

10 hours ago, closetojumping said:

If it's originally a black thing, that's news to me and it has been appropriated by the youths irrespective of ethnicity. Every dipshit playing games on youtube uses the term and so do kids all over the world watching them. I really despise the term because it just sounds dumb and my kids say it at each other and me when there are far better terms to use. 

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

(Some interesting stuff - watching a potential game changer from SEC?  The guy from Lit Station?)

Quick notes on two potential Transfer Portal wide receiver options

Hudson Standish

Spoiler

Quick notes on two potential Transfer Portal wide receiver options

Hudson Standish

— One of the more intriguing names to announce their intention to enter the transfer portal today was Oregon wideout Dont'e Thornton. The former top 75 national recruit hauled in 26 catches for 541 yards and 3 touchdowns in 15 games for the Ducks during his first two years on campus in Eugene and saw an increase in playing time this season.

Thornton is a deep threat at 6-foot-4.5, 190 pounds, and had plenty of verified athleticism coming out of Mount St. Joseph in Baltimore with an 11.02 PR in the 100 meter dash along with a 42-5.25 in the triple jump. Thornton was high on Arizona State through his first recruiting process and with former OC Kenny Dillingham headed to Tempe the Sun Devils could be a major option.

However, a source reached out to Horns247 immediately after Thornton announced his intention to enter the portal and said the massive wideout was very interested in Texas. Thornton would fill a need for Texas as a bigger-bodied deep threat that they desperately needed this season after Isaiah Neyor's season-ending injury left the Longhorns once again with a lack of true playmakers at wideout beyond Xavier Worthy and Jordan Whittington. This is one we'll be watching closely over the next few weeks.

— Another option at wideout that we feel more confident Texas will pursue is former Missouri standout Dominic Lovett, who will be one of the more highly sought-after transfer portal options in the nation. Lovett finished the 2022 season with 56 catches for 846 yards, leading the Tigers in both categories and is 846 yards were third in the SEC behind only Tennessee wide receiver Jalin Hyatt and South Carolina's Antwane Wells Jr.

These aren't the only two potential wide receivers expected to head to the portal we're monitoring, and we are still keeping our eyes peeled for another SEC talent.

The 5-foot-10, 185-pound St. Louis native ranked as a four-star prospect in the 2021 class and the No. 244 overall player in the Top247.

Here’s 247Sports’ evaluation of Lovett coming out of high school, via national analyst Allen Trieu:

“Not a prospect that stands out physically. Below average height and weight at the position, but has a package of skills that more than makes up for it. Has excellent acceleration and burst. Beats defenders off the line cleanly and can create immediate separation off the snap. Can make cuts at full speed and has the same burst out of his breaks. Shows good ball tracking skills and ability to adjust to deep balls in the air. Has dangerous ability after the catch as well. Must get stronger and also show he can go over the middle. Timed speed is not quite as fast as his game speed. Big-play guy who can play in the slot or outside but fits the new mold of receivers who can be dangerous in a spread out system. Power 5 starter and also fits the mold of what more NFL teams are going towards.”

image.thumb.png.38a6790173d917c0fd602ed2c315622f.png

image.thumb.png.3fda6235f3cca8f7783e6e90248e5016.png

image.thumb.png.379a435f6d7ed18622aeea32d0ca3f07.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, gurt said:

Anybody choosing a lambo over Ferrari has bad taste and was never cool

I work for an Italian company. We are an hour from where Lamborghini’s are made.  All you need to do is walk the line of manufacturing and see the process.  Those cars are handmade. The frames are on a yellow “horse” and hit 30+ station in assembly where a person does the work by hand.  It’s amazing to see!   Ferrari won’t let people see their process. After the way they shit the bed in F1 this year they need to change. I saw Maserati as well.  Really cool but not Lamborghini.  I think Bijan and Lamborghini makes sense 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Harvdog said:

I work for an Italian company. We are an hour from where Lamborghini’s are made.  All you need to do is walk the line of manufacturing and see the process.  Those cars are handmade. The frames are on a yellow “horse” and hit 30+ station in assembly where a person does the work by hand.  It’s amazing to see!   Ferrari won’t let people see their process. After the way they shit the bed in F1 this year they need to change. I saw Maserati as well.  Really cool but not Lamborghini.  I think Bijan and Lamborghini makes sense 

Ferrari is a washed brand. 

Gimme Mclaren

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1