2023 Transfer Thread - Texas Capitalized, ATM Victimized

closetojumping

FCB on Worthy

Spoiler

Everyone wants to know what’s going on with Xavier Worthy, so let’s start there.

Before we get to whether Worthy is staying or going, it’s important to try to understand Worthy - his approach to football, how seriously he takes it, how hard he works at it and that he’s not been your typical college football player from the day he set foot on campus last year as a freshman.

When Worthy didn’t feel comfortable with Michigan, the thing that attracted him most to Texas was Steve Sarkisian’s offense at Alabama and all the Tide receivers who had just come through Tuscaloosa on their way to the NFL, including Heisman Trophy winner DeVonta Smith, who has a similar profile (wiry and blazing fast) to Worthy.

Whether Sarkisian said he could see Worthy having a similar role in his Texas offense as Smith had at Alabama or Worthy could simply see himself in a similar role as Smith — only at Texas — Worthy was sold. And he’s had a relentless work ethic to deliver on that kind of promise since he arrived in Austin.

Worthy doesn’t go out much. He keeps to himself. You can usually find him in his apartment playing video games (he loves Fortnight). His roommates last summer included Quinn Ewers before Worthy and Texas nickel/cornerbacck Jahdae Barron became roommates this fall.

“X (Worthy) is really easy to get along with,” Ewers said.

Sarkisian and teammates have had nothing but praise for Worthy, his work ethic and determination. Receivers in Sarkisian’s offense have to grasp the concepts of an entire play, so they understand exactly how to run a route, how they fit into the progression, their blocking assignments, the play’s use of motion, etc.

Worthy worked his butt off to digest all of that as a freshman and became a freshman All-American who broke UT’s freshman records for receptions (62), receiving yards (981) and touchdown catches (12) in 2021.

According to team sources, other schools reached out to Worthy through intermediaries to see if he was interested in transferring. There might’ve been some NIL deals that came through for Worthy, and he returned.

Sarkisian said earlier this season, “X (Worthy) is the first one to practice most every day.”

After Texas’ 41-34 loss at Oklahoma State in which Worthy was targeted 16 times and caught only four passes for 78 yards and one touchdown, junior receiver Jordan Whittington was asked if he ever needs to talk to Worthy to calm any frustrations that might arise during a game?

“X, he’s an amazing player,” Whittington said. “He goes out and does his thing every week. If I feel like I need to talk to him, I’ll do it, because I’m in that role of leader in the room.

“But for him, he’s the type of player, he just, I don’t know, he’s a special talent — a really good one.”

According to team sources, after UT’s regular season ended with Worthy catching 53 passes for 696 yards and a Big 12-leading nine touchdowns that Worthy sees next season as his last year of college football. And Worthy wants to know if he’s going to work as hard as he does to get open that he ends up in the best situation possible to catch passes, make plays and help a team win big. Like championship big.

(Photo: © Tim Warner, Getty)

Teammates don’t call Worthy selfish. Just the opposite. They see how he gets open, how he blocks downfield for other teammates to make plays and how he tries to impact games in the return game.

“Coaches tell players all the time, ‘Prepare like a pro,’” said one team source. “Worthy does that — and has since he got here. He puts in the work. No one can question that. He obviously was hoping for a better year - not just for him, but for him to help the team elevate to a championship level.”

Steve Sarkisian seemed to be reaching out to Worthy on Monday, when he was asked if Worthy is happy at Texas?

“Well, I think the one thing about Xavier is this: he's a highly competitive young man,” Sarkisian said. “And from the moment he arrived on our campus, he came to work; and he came to work to earn an opportunity to play; came to work to become a starter. He came to work to be the best receiver he could be, whether that was in our conference or in the country.

“So I think the guy's got a high sense of competitiveness and drive to be the best. And he works that way every day. And so sometimes when you don't get the actual result of it, that can become a sense of frustration. I would much rather have a receiver that's frustrated that he didn't contribute more to a win than a guy who's content going on the field and playing and the ball not coming his way because I think he values his ability to get open. I do too. I get it, you know.”

Before being asked about Worthy, Sarkisian said a top priority going into Texas’ bowl game would be improving the passing game. In UT’s last five games, Quinn Ewers completed only 50 percent of his passes (78-of-156) with five touchdowns and four interceptions and was sacked eight times.

“It takes all 11,” Sarkisian said. “And it takes precision and execution. That's an area where I know we're going to spend a lot of time on, cleaning that up.”

After talking to sources, there was a sense after the regular-season ended, Worthy was determined to look elsewhere for a school where he would be showcased AND have a chance to win a championship.

But UT coaches “have put on a full-court press” to reassure Worthy that Texas is that place, according to a team source. Now, there’s a sense, according to those sources, that Worthy is leaning toward staying

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

FCB on Worthy

Reveal hidden contents

Everyone wants to know what’s going on with Xavier Worthy, so let’s start there.

Before we get to whether Worthy is staying or going, it’s important to try to understand Worthy - his approach to football, how seriously he takes it, how hard he works at it and that he’s not been your typical college football player from the day he set foot on campus last year as a freshman.

When Worthy didn’t feel comfortable with Michigan, the thing that attracted him most to Texas was Steve Sarkisian’s offense at Alabama and all the Tide receivers who had just come through Tuscaloosa on their way to the NFL, including Heisman Trophy winner DeVonta Smith, who has a similar profile (wiry and blazing fast) to Worthy.

Whether Sarkisian said he could see Worthy having a similar role in his Texas offense as Smith had at Alabama or Worthy could simply see himself in a similar role as Smith — only at Texas — Worthy was sold. And he’s had a relentless work ethic to deliver on that kind of promise since he arrived in Austin.

Worthy doesn’t go out much. He keeps to himself. You can usually find him in his apartment playing video games (he loves Fortnight). His roommates last summer included Quinn Ewers before Worthy and Texas nickel/cornerbacck Jahdae Barron became roommates this fall.

Sarkisian and teammates have had nothing but praise for Worthy, his work ethic and determination. Receivers in Sarkisian’s offense have to grasp the concepts of an entire play, so they understand exactly how to run a route, how they fit into the progression, their blocking assignments, the play’s use of motion, etc.

Worthy worked his butt off to digest all of that as a freshman and became a freshman All-American who broke UT’s freshman records for receptions (62), receiving yards (981) and touchdown catches (12) in 2021.

According to team sources, other schools reached out to Worthy through intermediaries to see if he was interested in transferring. There might’ve been some NIL deals that came through for Worthy, and he returned.

Sarkisian said earlier this season, “X (Worthy) is the first one to practice most every day.”

After Texas’ 41-34 loss at Oklahoma State in which Worthy was targeted 16 times and caught only four passes for 78 yards and one touchdown, junior receiver Jordan Whittington was asked if he ever needs to talk to Worthy to calm any frustrations that might arise during a game?

“X, he’s an amazing player,” Whittington said. “He goes out and does his thing every week. If I feel like I need to talk to him, I’ll do it, because I’m in that role of leader in the room.

“But for him, he’s the type of player, he just, I don’t know, he’s a special talent — a really good one.”

According to team sources, after UT’s regular season ended with Worthy catching 53 passes for 696 yards and a Big 12-leading nine touchdowns that Worthy sees next season as his last year of college football. And Worthy wants to know if he’s going to work as hard as he does to get open that he ends up in the best situation possible to catch passes, make plays and help a team win big. Like championship big.

Teammates don’t call Worthy selfish. Just the opposite. They see how he gets open, how he blocks downfield for other teammates to make plays and how he tries to impact games in the return game.

“Coaches tell players all the time, ‘Prepare like a pro,’” said one team source. “Worthy does that — and has since he got here. He puts in the work. No one can question that. He obviously was hoping for a better year - not just for him, but for him to help the team elevate to a championship level.”

Steve Sarkisian seemed to be reaching out to Worthy on Monday, when he was asked if Worthy is happy at Texas?

“Well, I think the one thing about Xavier is this: he's a highly competitive young man,” Sarkisian said. “And from the moment he arrived on our campus, he came to work; and he came to work to earn an opportunity to play; came to work to become a starter. He came to work to be the best receiver he could be, whether that was in our conference or in the country.

“So I think the guy's got a high sense of competitiveness and drive to be the best. And he works that way every day. And so sometimes when you don't get the actual result of it, that can become a sense of frustration. I would much rather have a receiver that's frustrated that he didn't contribute more to a win than a guy who's content going on the field and playing and the ball not coming his way because I think he values his ability to get open. I do too. I get it, you know.”

Before being asked about Worthy, Sarkisian said a top priority going into Texas’ bowl game would be improving the passing game. In UT’s last five games, Quinn Ewers completed only 50 percent of his passes (78-of-156) with five touchdowns and four interceptions and was sacked eight times.

“It takes all 11,” Sarkisian said. “And it takes precision and execution. That's an area where I know we're going to spend a lot of time on, cleaning that up.”

After talking to sources, there was a sense after the regular-season ended, Worthy was determined to look elsewhere for a school where he would be showcased AND have a chance to win a championship.

But UT coaches “have put on a full-court press” to reassure Worthy that Texas is that place, according to a team source. Now, there’s a sense, according to those sources, that Worthy is leaning toward staying

I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

FCB on Worthy

Hide contents

28 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

That’s a lot of words for a piece of shit to completely fabricate.

Chip%20Brown%20Tweet.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

54 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

That’s a lot of words for a piece of shit to completely fabricate.

no shit.  that reads like something that anyone on this board could have put together at any point in the last two weeks.  and then thrown in that last line about things trending towards him staying once someone else reported it.  good lord.

22 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

If Worthy ends up staying at Texas trust and believe there will be a contingent of posters that’ll think he didn’t have any other suitors. 

I don’t think anyone believes he doesn’t have suitors. However, if I’m Bama or USC, I’m not looking to get in a bidding war for an WR who’s currently getting high compensation at his current school, performed less than spectacular this season, and potential other issues. There are better performing receivers who would jump at the opportunity to play for either program, and possibly for less money. That’s all I’m saying.

2 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

I don’t think anyone believes he doesn’t have suitors. However, if I’m Bama or USC, I’m not looking to get in a bidding war for an WR who’s currently getting high compensation at his current school, performed less than spectacular this season, and potential other issues. There are better performing receivers who would jump at the opportunity to play for either program, and possibly for less money. That’s all I’m saying.

Do tell.

6 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

You are going off the rails here. I'm mildly entertained by it but it's too absurd to leave open. 

USC or Bama would absolutely take Worthy in a heartbeat. I still think he winds up at one of those places, frankly. As far as returning WRs nationally next year, he's easily in the top 10 and probably top 5. 

• Hook 'Em 6

12 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

This is some take.  He's better QB play + improvement tracking deep balls away from being a Biletnikoff favorite.   I already don't think there is a better WR in the country in a 15 yard box.  Bama and USC would absolutely get in a bidding war for him and probably are involved in one already.,

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

This is some take.  He's better QB play + improvement tracking deep balls away from being a Biletnikoff favorite.   I already don't think there is a better WR in the country in a 15 yard box.  Bama and USC would absolutely get in a bidding war for him and probably are involved in one already.,

Do you really improve on tracking deep balls?  That seems more like an inate ability rather than something that hard work and a lot of reps can fix.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You are going off the rails here. I'm mildly entertained by it but it's too absurd to leave open. 

USC or Bama would absolutely take Worthy in a heartbeat. I still think he winds up at one of those places, frankly. As far as returning WRs nationally next year, he's easily in the top 10 and probably top 5. 

I think the sales pitch ultimately comes down to if Worthy believes that Ewers can be fixed by Milwee and Sarkisian in one offseason. If Ewers works his ass off on his mechanics this offseason, I believe that can happen. So ultimately, Xavier has to believe that Quinn will work as hard as he does. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

FCB on Worthy

Reveal hidden contents

"His roommates last summer included Quinn Ewers before Worthy and Texas nickel/cornerback Jahdae Barron became roommates this fall."

Well, that may explain a lot.

18 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Do you really improve on tracking deep balls?  That seems more like an inate ability rather than something that hard work and a lot of reps can fix.

It's a skill that can easily be improved upon &, with enough practice at it, he could show a lot of improvement by fall of next year. All it would really take would be setting up a jugs machine and someone to feed it. Having a full Spring, Summer, & Fall w/ Ewers as the #1 should help with their timing & consistency as well. 

21 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

"His roommates last summer included Quinn Ewers before Worthy and Texas nickel/cornerback Jahdae Barron became roommates this fall."

Well, that may explain a lot.

Because Worthy and Ewers would have been working on tracking the deep ball in their 10x12 room?

I know Sark hates throwing to stationary WRs, but we threw like an 8 yard curl to Worthy a couple times this year and he was wide open.  It should be in the arsenal to keep the defense from locking in on deep routes, and with his quickness Worthy could break a tackle and house it anyways.

• Hook 'Em 2

This is straight up sour grapes

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

If Xavier Worthy entered the portal, he would be the #1 receiver in the portal for the next 45 days. Period.

Every single program in the country would crawl over broken glass to have a guy with his talent who has 21 TD’s in 24 career games despite crappy QB play for quite a few of those 24 games.

Let’s not try to downplay his talent or pretend other teams would be uncertain if they wanted to push. 

Your point that everyone would court him is correct, but  #1 might be a stretch. We have no idea who will be in the portal. There is already an All-SEC WR in the portal. Worthy would be top 5 for sure, but #1 is not assured. 

I also find it comical how this “Xavier can't track deep balls” thing has taken off this board with really no proof as such. The majority of the deep balls thrown his way were overthrown period. Just because he is fast enough to get within 2,3 yards by the time the ball hits the ground doesn’t mean he couldn’t track it. Also it’s amazing none of this was talked about last year and he had a bigger year with a less talented QB. Worthy was maybe 10-15% of the issues in the deep passing game.

6 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

I also find it comical how this “Xavier can't track deep balls” thing has taken off this board with really no proof as such. The majority of the deep balls thrown his way were overthrown period. Just because he is fast enough to get within 2,3 yards by the time the ball hits the ground doesn’t mean he couldn’t track it. Also it’s amazing none of this was talked about last year and he had a bigger year with a less talented QB. Worthy was maybe 10-15% of the issues in the deep passing game.

When you can't track the ball and are steadily running away from it, then yeah, the ball looks like it was thrown further than it was.  Part of that is the receiver adjusting--he doesn't.  Casey had difficulty overthrowing period--he was more mobile though, which does help stretch defenses.     

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Vary the damn snap count--like a bunch.  Practice it so the line doesn't jump but vary it more and collect penalties.  TCU was timing their rushes in anticipation.  Vary it a few times and they absolutely would've jumped offsides.  Instead they changed it after that game, rather than during.  But again, practice it so that the line doesn't move.   

My guess is that they were weary of varying the snap count too much because of the very young OL and because we seemed to have quite a few false starts even without varying the snap count a ton.

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Nobody says he can't. It's just that he often had trouble finding the ball in the air. It was plainly irregular to anyone watching. All you need are two working eye balls. 

IMO situations came up that showed a weakness in his game that needs some extra work, that's all. He's a badass, motivated player.

Edited by mwaadeeb
adding