2023 Transfer Thread - Texas Capitalized, ATM Victimized

closetojumping

22 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

I also find it comical how this “Xavier can't track deep balls” thing has taken off this board with really no proof as such. The majority of the deep balls thrown his way were overthrown period. Just because he is fast enough to get within 2,3 yards by the time the ball hits the ground doesn’t mean he couldn’t track it. Also it’s amazing none of this was talked about last year and he had a bigger year with a less talented QB. Worthy was maybe 10-15% of the issues in the deep passing game.

I'm sure you are a Worthy apologist but his lack of effort or "ball tracking " is obvious. You pick, it is one or the other and damn sure isn't neither. 

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

My guess is that they were weary of varying the snap count too much because of the very young OL and because we seemed to have quite a few false starts even without varying the snap count a ton.

I'd say this and as someone upstream posted, Neyor getting injured really put the clamp down on Xavier's full utilization.  Defenses will have to play Worthy honest if there's a bigger body deep threat opposite him. 

• Hook 'Em 3

On Worthy's fit, if you watch Sark's time at Bama, it was Devonte Smith playing the role Keilan played for us this year. A much expanded version of it of course, but Worthy should be the one getting a lot of short looks off motion. If Neyor were healthy I think he would. 

Also we only had two real redzone plays this year: give ball to Bijan, and let Worthy break someone's ankles. At this point I'm not emotionally invested in Worthy but it'll suck for the offense to lose them. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

Do you really improve on tracking deep balls?  That seems more like an inate ability rather than something that hard work and a lot of reps can fix.

You can improve but there is some innate ability to it. A guy who's bad at it can become competent, but you're not turning someone who's bad at it into an elite guy at that skill. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Worthy tracks punts just fine but he's not running at full speed fighting a DB at the same time. 

For real, go back and look at the Ewers to Neyor TD in the spring game. Yeah it's practice but in 12 games this season did we see any throw and catch look anything like that from any QB to any WR? 

Edited by Red Five

22 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

I'm sure you are a Worthy apologist but his lack of effort or "ball tracking " is obvious. You pick, it is one or the other and damn sure isn't neither. 

His best throws to Worthy were in the Bama game. Outside of that the majority of the balls were overthrown. So yeah I'd prefer my QB be able to hit my wide open WR at least 50% of the time instead of putting the onus on my WR to always have to adjust to badly thrown balls. Another thing is Ewers deep balls get there pretty quickly, probably would help if he put more air under it. Regardless Worthy was not the root of the issue on the passing game.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Worthy tracks punts just fine but he's not running at full speed fighting a DB at the same time. 

I think it is 2 fold. He isnt great at tracking the football, but he also gets pushed around and knocked off routes (slot fade vs TCU (24 minute of the above video) is a great example of that). He just isnt built for contested throws. He is at least 5 cheeseburgers away from that. 

Edited by Codaxx

4 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

It's like a defensive back being taught to turn and look for the ball. Sounds easy, but it's not.

It should be pretty straightfoward if you should be a WR. Same for DB turning on the ball. If you can't track a deep ball at WR, or learn how to do so, then maybe you shouldn't be a wide receiver. It is literally the first thing every kid aspiring to play WR wants to do first. Nobody dreams of running a stop or a curl. Not a slant, box or flag. Give me the fucking go. Throw it up, and let me go get it.

Worthy has done that shit his entire life. This season is probably the first time where he was going up against similar athletes with better technique. To get better from here, he'd need to put the work in. The idea that he can't improve it to respectability is dismissably stupid.

That considered, it's not where his competitive advantages lie as a WR. I'd rather he spend his time focusing on making what he does well something he does better than anybody else. Throw the motherfucking high-pointers to somebody already good at it, or stop doing it. Let Worthy run the slants, jerks, outs, ins, stops, screens. 

• Hook 'Em 5

15 minutes ago, Red Five said:

9 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I think it is 2 fold. He isnt great at trackign the football, but he also gets pushed around and knocked off routes. He just isnt built for contested throws. He is at least 5 cheeseburgers away from that. 

I think there is a lot to the DB affecting him. On punts he can stare at the ball with no distraction the entire time. Some people can see the first 10-20% of a ball's flight, look away and run directly to where it's going to land. Some have to watch it the entire time.

The former is how a relatively slow outfielder like Richard Hidalgo had one of the top centerfield range factors in his day. Nobody is questioning Worthy's work ethic. And even if he never becomes a guy you can throw a back shoulder fade route to, he is obviously still a very good and very valuable receiver. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Getafix said:

image.thumb.png.8c4a5d9655478c8e3406d56ab9dfe524.png

image.thumb.png.cab6f3d880b993095dc508fd57c5faf6.png

image.thumb.png.95a436451de201964de28b3317ec860f.png

image.thumb.png.1d2464b4a81d07463650ded754a912c9.png

Ainias Smith and Achane coming back? Even for a smooth-brained rube like Perroni, that is some fart-huffing silliness. 

They're declaratively talking about a bunch of guys "coming back" who have been actively talking to other programs. Either Fisher has shown up to the dorm rooms dressed in a red and white suit, replete with a giant black belt, black shoes, flowing white beard and a gift sack loaded with money, or they're all just buying what these players are saying to them at face value. 

I'll believe that Evan Stewart isn't going to test the portal after the portal has closed without his entry into it.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 11/29/2022 at 3:53 PM, HenryJames said:

and throws into double coverage.

On 11/29/2022 at 3:55 PM, OU Sucks said:

And yet in a spot where JWhitt could make a play on it.  Ewers throws into double coverage and it's 15 feet short or long of everyone.

image.png.a472dba31d1ca5521bdf3f948585f433.png

Now do him to Worthy 

30 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Ainias Smith and Achane coming back? Even for a smooth-brained rube like Perroni, that is some fart-huffing silliness. 

They're declaratively talking about a bunch of guys "coming back" who have been actively talking to other programs. Either Fisher has shown up to the dorm rooms dressed in a red and white suit, replete with a giant black belt, black shoes, flowing white beard and a gift sack loaded with money, or they're all just buying what these players are saying to them at face value. 

I'll believe that Evan Stewart isn't going to test the portal after the portal has closed without his entry into it.

Anyone definitively stating that ANYONE is "coming back" before the portal has even opened is setting themselves up to get clowned.  Let alone saying these things about kids who have already proven to be mercenaries.

• Hook 'Em 2

It's crazy how much the portal has already changed college football.  Players who are really good at their current school wanting to test the market.  Small school superstars hoping to work their way into a better conference so they can put film with better competition together to showcase for potential NFL scouts.  Big school players who fail to stick at that big school due to elite talent ahead of them on the depth chart or the inability or desire to put in the work behind the scenes. 

It seems to me that every big school in the country needs to have a scouting department to weed through all the potential players.  I mean we know they all do work with college camps during high school and scouting the recruits as they develop, but the country is enormous so decisions about where to stop looking/watching has to be made at some point.  It seems to me that if Texas paired up with a few schools that are not hyper aggressive in Texas (like say Washington, Boston College, and Iowa) they could spare some of the costs of doing it all themselves, but I am sure AD's and Head Coach personalities would make a long-term venture like that problematic.  I assume it's just going to be word of mouth stuff - like people you used to coach with reaching out to other coaches in other conferences who might know that particular player better.  

With the portal, maybe you can get away with watching film once a name hits the portal and then trying to do a little background at that point, but it seems to me that by the time you decide whether the player is someone that can help your team - that player may already be visiting/committing to another school.  Lots of pressure to make quick decisions whether a player can help your team and trying to figure out why a player wants to move (NIL v. playing time v. closer to home v. improved quality of play). 

22 minutes ago, CashMcCoy said:

I don’t follow A&M players that closely but is this a legit good player that is looking elsewhere or a back up that is getting processed?  Didn’t know if this is someone they are not happy about hitting the portal. I was with my Aggy boss all week and he kept saying the only guys leaving are guys that Jimbo doesn’t want anymore because they aren’t as good as the younger guys.

3 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I don’t follow A&M players that closely but is this a legit good player that is looking elsewhere or a back up that is getting processed?  Didn’t know if this is someone they are not happy about hitting the portal. I was with my Aggy boss all week and he kept saying the only guys leaving are guys that Jimbo doesn’t want anymore because they aren’t as good as the younger guys.

This is one of the younger guys. And he's a headcase. Don't want.

• Hook 'Em 1

It's a skill that can easily be improved upon &, with enough practice at it, he could show a lot of improvement by fall of next year. All it would really take would be setting up a jugs machine and someone to feed it. Having a full Spring, Summer, & Fall w/ Ewers as the #1 should help with their timing & consistency as well. 

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/topic/13360-awesome-jugs-machine/

35 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Would you expect an aggy to say anything but that? Also, wtf is an aggy boss? 

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Tunmise is a fucking headcase? No one could have predicted this. @Harvdog to the courtesy telephone

I was clear that his attitude changed.  I also said I had not seen that side of his personality.  But then again, imagine being 17 and every coach in America is blowing you on the daily. I think he’s been humbled by his experience in CS.  No idea where he is going. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I’ll second that. If there is one thing Tunmise is, it’s humble. I heard the coaches called him “Jesus Fucking Christ” because of how humble he was every day. 

Half the Aggie team were accused of incest by the constant yells of “mother fucker” during practice and their games. Chin pubes denies any wrong doing and Perroni thinks all will stay