2023 Transfer Thread - Texas Capitalized, ATM Victimized

closetojumping

9 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Has anyone 995ish summarized the thoughts on what we are looking for and numbers from the portal?

I've heard allusions to LB, S, ED, WR, OL.  4-6 guys?

Nahlin put out a preliminary 'primer' of portal additions by position:

WR – 2

OL – maybe 1 

TE – maybe 1 receiving threat

Edge – probably 1

IDL – maybe 1 but Sweat returning is big

LB – maybe 1 depending on what Anthony Hill does

S – definitely 1, maybe 2 depending on exPorts

CB – maybe 1 depending on finish to ‘23 class

P – 1

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

WR – 2

OL – maybe 1 

Edge – probably 1

P – 1

Of course a bunch depends upon how Texas fares in closing the class and who they lose that they do not wish to lose. That said, I will be really surprised if Texas doesn't take at least 3 DBs, 2 DEs, and at least one LB. If they get Hill, they lose Burrell, still need at least one LB. Remember what I've said about a TB and understand why no $9.95er with a relationship with recruits would say that they'd go after one at this point. 

Beyond that, knock me over with a feather if they take a TE. I've heard that they're thinking about an OL with P5 starting experience but I am dubious on that premise, personally. 

It sounds like 6-12 guys from the portal depending upon unwanted attrition and how much of a feeding frenzy they can get into with high quality guys who suddenly really have an interest in Texas.

13 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

WR – 2

OL – maybe 1 

Edge – probably 1

P – 1

I really hope the staff takes an experienced ILB in the portal. Anthony Hill is a great talent. He might be able to just step on a college field and be a solid player from the start. I personally wouldn’t want to make that bet. I would prefer not to rely on a true freshman 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I really hope the staff takes an experienced ILB in the portal. Anthony Hill is a great talent. He might be able to just step on a college field and be a solid player from the start. I personally wouldn’t want to make that bet. I would prefer not to rely on a true freshman 

They’re clearly interested in Justin Wright. If an upgrade is available I don’t think there is any doubt they’ll go after them. 

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Of course a bunch depends upon how Texas fares in closing the class and who they lose that they do not wish to lose. That said, I will be really surprised if Texas doesn't take at least 3 DBs, 2 DEs, and at least one LB. If they get Hill, they lose Burrell, still need at least one LB. Remember what I've said about a TB and understand why no $9.95er with a relationship with recruits would say that they'd go after one at this point. 

Beyond that, knock me over with a feather if they take a TE. I've heard that they're thinking about an OL with P5 starting experience but I am dubious on that premise, personally. 

It sounds like 6-12 guys from the portal depending upon unwanted attrition and how much of a feeding frenzy they can get into with high quality guys who suddenly really have an interest in Texas.

Was really excited about Burrell. I think he will be a dog in two years. I get that you have to take Ant Hill if you can get him tho. Hope the LB from out west is as good as Choate believes he is because most people believe they like him much more than Burrell. 

I would expect 2 WR, 1 Edge, 1 Safety 1 CB, 1 QB, 1 LB and a OL if they find one that can play inside and is a clear upgrade. They want size inside. But they don’t want young size because a young guy causes them to lose somebody. 

This is all dependent on who they can get and who leaves of course. 

If they can't communicate to recruits that there is literally no one worth a damn in the LB room besides Jaylan Ford and that bringing in a transfer or talent like Anthony Hill won't impact their ability to see the field as a freshman, I feel like our staff is doing a poor job. Jett Bush (and I guess Mo Blackwell?) are the only other returners who have the possibility of even sniffing the field next year at LB headed into the spring. I guess maybe some recruits just don't see it like that but damn it should be a relatively easy sell. Lefau, Burrell and Hill would all easily see the field next year even if we took a Justin Wright from Tulsa or some other LB transfer.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 9

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

What about the numbers?

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

WR – 2

OL – maybe 1 

Edge – probably 1

P – 1

Is that edge or EDGE ? 

8 hours ago, SarkAfterDark said:

I also find it comical how this “Xavier can't track deep balls” thing has taken off this board with really no proof as such. The majority of the deep balls thrown his way were overthrown period. Just because he is fast enough to get within 2,3 yards by the time the ball hits the ground doesn’t mean he couldn’t track it. Also it’s amazing none of this was talked about last year and he had a bigger year with a less talented QB. Worthy was maybe 10-15% of the issues in the deep passing game.

There is proof. It seems you have a similar problem tracking his weakness.

7 hours ago, texifornia said:

"I personally don't like him as a player and will therefore imply he's got off-field issues because it makes me feel better about it if he's a bad person"

I never said there were potential off the field issues or that he’s a bad person. Let’s not sit here and praise RoJo his entire career for being such a great team guy and ignore the possibilities   closer to the other end of the spectrum.

3 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

WR – 2

OL – maybe 1 

Edge – probably 1

P – 1

Please put in the sticky post at the top of page or in menu on mobile for transfer portal 2023. It’s wiki style editing for anyone with more than 2000 posts 

I’m a big worthy fan but the thought that hard work will improve his ability to track the deep ball and be able to high point a tough catch over a defender or two is laughable.  You either have it or you don’t.   Much like rebounding in basketball.   There are a shit tone of 6’4” - 6’6” dudes that can board like a mofo.   It’s lower body strength, ass, and timing / anticipation that can’t be taught.  It would be best to exploit worthy at the LOS and no more than 15 yards deep where his quickness can’t be matched.   He’s simply been asked to do something he can’t do.   

• Fuck You 1