2023 Transfer Thread - Texas Capitalized, ATM Victimized

closetojumping

31 minutes ago, Knighthawk said:

I’m a big worthy fan but the thought that hard work will improve his ability to track the deep ball and be able to high point a tough catch over a defender or two is laughable.  You either have it or you don’t.   Much like rebounding in basketball.   There are a shit tone of 6’4” - 6’6” dudes that can board like a mofo.   It’s lower body strength, ass, and timing / anticipation that can’t be taught.  It would be best to exploit worthy at the LOS and no more than 15 yards deep where his quickness can’t be matched.   He’s simply been asked to do something he can’t do.   

Yes it helps to be a natural. But the idea that he can't improve is laughable.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, OU Sucks said:

Everyone knows you're obsessed with hating Worthy, but JWhitt didn't catch it, for the record.

You are using Card's on time pass to J-Whitt to show how he is a better QB than Ewers. However, Ewers has no problem throwing to J-Whitt. His problem is throwing to Worthy, so if you want to prove Card was better, find me a deep pass where he hit Worthy in stride. The point was everyone had trouble throwing to Worthy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

You are using Card's on time pass to J-Whitt to show how he is a better QB than Ewers. However, Ewers has no problem throwing to J-Whitt. His problem is throwing to Worthy, so if you want to prove Card was better, find me a deep pass where he hit Worthy in stride. The point was everyone had trouble throwing to Worthy. 

Dude, what the fuck is your fucking problem?  I was showing how Hudson Card had improved from last year, you know, because he's leaving and he was a respectable, drama-free QB.  I throw in a joke about Ewers and suddenly I'm trying to "show how he is a better QB than Ewers".  The point of the screenshot was because someone said he threw into double coverage, and although that's true, he still threw it in the perfect spot.  I don't know why you're so damn defense over everybody's posts about Ewers, even if they're jokes, and why you hate Worthy so much, but you are such a beating.  You are now only the second person I've ever hidden on here, so congrats on that.  I won't miss your non-stop rants about Worthy and "how dare you say anything negative about Quinn?!!" posts.

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

Dude, what the fuck is your fucking problem?  I was showing how Hudson Card had improved from last year, you know, because he's leaving and he was a respectable, drama-free QB.  I throw in a joke about Ewers and suddenly I'm trying to "show how he is a better QB than Ewers".  The point of the screenshot was because someone said he threw into double coverage, and although that's true, he still threw it in the perfect spot.  I don't know why you're so damn defense over everybody's posts about Ewers, even if they're jokes, and why you hate Worthy so much, but you are such a beating.  You are now only the second person I've ever hidden on here, so congrats on that.  I won't miss your non-stop rants about Worthy and "how dare you say anything negative about Quinn?!!" posts.

This dude makes a post and then can't hack it when people call him on it. Good riddance. I don't hate Worthy, I hate his effort, or lack thereof. Not the only person either, but take your ball and run home. 

21 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Louisiana kid - Terry Joseph just started following.

https://247sports.com/player/gavin-holmes-46082515/

Don’t think he was a starter to open the year but looks like he may have taken over at some point. Could be the type of guy to provide good depth to the CB room, especially with Johnson portaling and the possibility of Jordan/Brooks potentially moving around in the secondary depending on how things shake out.

Here’s what a WF site said about him:

Holmes, a starter at cornerback for much of the season, surprisingly elected to enter the transfer portal. In 11 games this season, Holmes notched 23 tackles and nine pass break ups. According to Pro Football Focus, the sophomore was the third-best Demon Deacon corner in pass coverage with a 67.7 score. Holmes allowed 20 receptions and three touchdowns on 43 targets.

Edited by Hookem2147

3 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Oof. I didn’t expect him to light the world on fire or anything, but I thought he could do better than that. I’d have just accepted life as the backup at Michigan if that’s the alternative.

Iowa almost always has solid line play on both sides of the ball, a great defense, a good RB, at least one great TE, and usually at least one good receiver. Their offense isn’t imaginative in the least, but QB play has killed them the past couple of years. Seems like a decent QB could do well there.  

They win their games because they play fundamental football. 

• Hook 'Em 5

10 hours ago, Thatguy said:

This dude makes a post and then can't hack it when people call him on it. Good riddance. I don't hate Worthy, I hate his effort, or lack thereof. Not the only person either, but take your ball and run home. 

Why can't you two settle this like the adults and have a 40 yard dash competition on Bevo Blvd?

Edited by Tree Fidy
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

IT with a few notes

Spoiler

And it hasn’t been that calm especially for Texas coaches and staffers furiously pouring over film of known portal entrants. Given the portal isn’t officially open for business until Monday, December 5th, you can assume the fun is just getting started and should last well into January.

This past week was used by the staff to put together their big board according to position. That means evaluation and ranking, similar to draft preparation or recruiting rankings. It’s a difficult task made more difficult by new players emerging by the day. For the NFL draft, eligible players are known months in advance.

A major consideration for portal recruiting won’t be the knowns, it’ll be those whose situation was unknown prior to entry, and those who have been considered mabyes to enter. Maybes are often rumored, sometimes for months on end. Monday puts an end to all the talk about who might enter. Rest assured, a number of those maybes would be at or near the top of wish lists across the country. In short, the big board that’s being set this week will probably be in a state of chaos by Wednesday of next week.

Make sure you follow the roster management thread. That will become the moderator only thread once the info truly starts flying. For now we just have bits and pieces because Texas doesn’t want to be too aggressive out of the gates. If you only have one allocation at a position you don’t want to spend that capital too early. This isn’t deer camp where the standard sweaty-palmed recruitnik wildly blasts an 80 pound doe on opening morning. This is a carefully curated guide in search of big game players.

One of the players who was rumored for months on end was Tunmise Adeleye. He’s a familiar name in these parts. As a recruit, he just didn’t believe in Tom Herman or his staff. Any time Texas gained any traction the tires would soon start spinning once again. He liked Ohio State coming out of high school, even committing to the Buckeyes for a time, but ended up closer to home at A&M. This past summer we heard he might be transferring and a school he had significant interest in was Texas. IT reached out last night and Adeleye confirmed he does have interest in UT. IT believes that feeling is mutual. The Texas defensive staff prioritizes having the luxury to rotate bigs.

Before he was injured early in the season, Adeleye was the starter at defensive end. It’s not hard to envision the 6-foot-3, 290 pounder as a like for like replacement for Moro Ojomo. That means he could play Jack/end or 3-tech. Given the mutual interest between the two parties, Adeleye’s raw talent (top 50 in the country in 2021), and UT’s need, we’ll be tracking this one.

Another portal prospect we’re tracking early is Tulsa linebacker Justin Wright. Similar to Jaylan Ford, Wright stuffed the stat box this season, albeit while playing in the AAC. Still, that’s solid competition and he looked good against it. Wright says he grew up a Texas fan and that seems to be backed up by him immediately following Steve Sarkisian on Twitter. Sark followed him back which is a bit interesting. Wright picked up an offer from Oklahoma State right out of the gates. 

Here’s what Wright told IT regarding schools of interest and what he’s looking for:

“Oklahoma St, Oregon, Washington, Minnesota, Georgia Tech, Georgia Southern, California, Arizona, and a few smaller schools. Honestly the only teams I hope to hear from are teams that are looking for linebackers and where I could have the best chance to not only play but start. Me knowing how I am, I know that nothing is guaranteed or promised as far as starting but putting myself in a position where the chances are better.”

Abilene Cooper’s Justin Wright

His former DC at Tulsa was Joe Gillespie, now at TCU. Of course we had to ask about that:

“Of course TCU sounds awesome but I have talked to Gillespie because he is a huge role model/mentor to me. And we talked about the people he has coming back and how that wouldn’t be advantageous for me. He has my best interest so I definitely understood.”

Pretty cool of Gillespie. Wright clearly has the maturity you’d expect. He made a point to tell IT he followed Sark first. As someone who cares about context and details that was greatly appreciated.

Notes:

— Premium positions like Edge and corner will get hard looks due to being schematic force multipliers. Texas also has a lot of ways to address safety in the program, made easier by an addition at corner. That does not rule out safety, however. 

— There are a lot of wide receivers Texas has interest in but that’s certainly a position we’re watching for the maybes who might enter the portal who would jump to the top of the current board. 

— D-tackle seems a little bit lesser of a priority than it did a month ago, but that’s still a possibility as well depending on who enters the portal. At this point Texas is likely to return T’Vondre Sweat, Byron Murphy, Alfred Collins, Vernon Broughton, Sawyer Goram-Welch (likely moving back from OL), Aaron Bryant, Kristopher Ross and Zac Swanson (probably more swing guys) while adding freshman Sydir Mitchell from the high school ranks and possibly one more.

Texas is in a favorable position entering portal season. That makes it easier to embrace the chaos.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

IT with a few notes

Reveal hidden contents

And it hasn’t been that calm especially for Texas coaches and staffers furiously pouring over film of known portal entrants. Given the portal isn’t officially open for business until Monday, December 5th, you can assume the fun is just getting started and should last well into January.

This past week was used by the staff to put together their big board according to position. That means evaluation and ranking, similar to draft preparation or recruiting rankings. It’s a difficult task made more difficult by new players emerging by the day. For the NFL draft, eligible players are known months in advance.

A major consideration for portal recruiting won’t be the knowns, it’ll be those whose situation was unknown prior to entry, and those who have been considered mabyes to enter. Maybes are often rumored, sometimes for months on end. Monday puts an end to all the talk about who might enter. Rest assured, a number of those maybes would be at or near the top of wish lists across the country. In short, the big board that’s being set this week will probably be in a state of chaos by Wednesday of next week.

Make sure you follow the roster management thread. That will become the moderator only thread once the info truly starts flying. For now we just have bits and pieces because Texas doesn’t want to be too aggressive out of the gates. If you only have one allocation at a position you don’t want to spend that capital too early. This isn’t deer camp where the standard sweaty-palmed recruitnik wildly blasts an 80 pound doe on opening morning. This is a carefully curated guide in search of big game players.

One of the players who was rumored for months on end was Tunmise Adeleye. He’s a familiar name in these parts. As a recruit, he just didn’t believe in Tom Herman or his staff. Any time Texas gained any traction the tires would soon start spinning once again. He liked Ohio State coming out of high school, even committing to the Buckeyes for a time, but ended up closer to home at A&M. This past summer we heard he might be transferring and a school he had significant interest in was Texas. IT reached out last night and Adeleye confirmed he does have interest in UT. IT believes that feeling is mutual. The Texas defensive staff prioritizes having the luxury to rotate bigs.

Before he was injured early in the season, Adeleye was the starter at defensive end. It’s not hard to envision the 6-foot-3, 290 pounder as a like for like replacement for Moro Ojomo. That means he could play Jack/end or 3-tech. Given the mutual interest between the two parties, Adeleye’s raw talent (top 50 in the country in 2021), and UT’s need, we’ll be tracking this one.

Another portal prospect we’re tracking early is Tulsa linebacker Justin Wright. Similar to Jaylan Ford, Wright stuffed the stat box this season, albeit while playing in the AAC. Still, that’s solid competition and he looked good against it. Wright says he grew up a Texas fan and that seems to be backed up by him immediately following Steve Sarkisian on Twitter. Sark followed him back which is a bit interesting. Wright picked up an offer from Oklahoma State right out of the gates. 

Here’s what Wright told IT regarding schools of interest and what he’s looking for:

“Oklahoma St, Oregon, Washington, Minnesota, Georgia Tech, Georgia Southern, California, Arizona, and a few smaller schools. Honestly the only teams I hope to hear from are teams that are looking for linebackers and where I could have the best chance to not only play but start. Me knowing how I am, I know that nothing is guaranteed or promised as far as starting but putting myself in a position where the chances are better.”

Abilene Cooper’s Justin Wright

His former DC at Tulsa was Joe Gillespie, now at TCU. Of course we had to ask about that:

“Of course TCU sounds awesome but I have talked to Gillespie because he is a huge role model/mentor to me. And we talked about the people he has coming back and how that wouldn’t be advantageous for me. He has my best interest so I definitely understood.”

Pretty cool of Gillespie. Wright clearly has the maturity you’d expect. He made a point to tell IT he followed Sark first. As someone who cares about context and details that was greatly appreciated.

Notes:

— Premium positions like Edge and corner will get hard looks due to being schematic force multipliers. Texas also has a lot of ways to address safety in the program, made easier by an addition at corner. That does not rule out safety, however. 

— There are a lot of wide receivers Texas has interest in but that’s certainly a position we’re watching for the maybes who might enter the portal who would jump to the top of the current board. 

— D-tackle seems a little bit lesser of a priority than it did a month ago, but that’s still a possibility as well depending on who enters the portal. At this point Texas is likely to return T’Vondre Sweat, Byron Murphy, Alfred Collins, Vernon Broughton, Sawyer Goram-Welch (likely moving back from OL), Aaron Bryant, Kristopher Ross and Zac Swanson (probably more swing guys) while adding freshman Sydir Mitchell from the high school ranks and possibly one more.

Texas is in a favorable position entering portal season. That makes it easier to embrace the chaos.

Little surprising they think Goram-Welch returns.  Figured he and Merrill would be the next two out.

Goram-Welch's ability to cling to a scholarship is kind of funny at this point. 

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Little surprising they think Goram-Welch returns.  Figured he and Merrill would be the next two out.

I believe ctj alluded to Merril's mom being a serious donor who no one wants to piss off.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Goram-Welch's ability to cling to a scholarship is kind of funny at this point. 

I believe ctj alluded to Merril's mom being a serious donor who no one wants to piss off.

Merril is an SJ alum and in the Business school, so he’s got to have it between the ears.  Can he replace Karic as the jumbo tight end I wonder?

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Is it fair to say that 80%+ of these guys that are starters for P5 schools entering the portal are doing it for money? If so, a bunch of these guys are going to be bitterly disappointed. 

Or they’re just tired of their coaches bullshit. It’s a brave new world where a coach no longer has all the power. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Or they’re just tired of their coaches bullshit. It’s a brave new world where a coach no longer has all the power. 

Yep it might be something of a chode-sift. Something that could have caught a guy like Herman. Though he like to kiss his players, so who knows.

26 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Good to know TCU isn’t a threat for Justin Wright. Decent of his former coach not to bullshit him into going there just for depth. 

So then why would we want him?  Is it not the goal, at a minimum, to get better players than those of our competition?

Edited by RollLeft
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, RollLeft said:

So then why would we want him.  The goal, at a minimum, is to get better players than those of our competition.

Because right now we have zero depth at LB and Wright is a damn good player who could step in and play day 1. If a better LB steps into the portal then I’d be all for going after that guy - but right now Wright is better than anyone we currently have outside of Ford. 

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

Yep it might be something of a chode-sift. Something that could have caught a guy like Herman. Though he like to kiss his players, so who knows.

Damn it. Chode sifting is the Sooners' favorite pastime. They'll be back at the top in no time if that's the direction this is all heading. 

8 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Because right now we have zero depth at LB and Wright is a damn good player who could step in and play day 1. If a better LB steps into the portal then I’d be all for going after that guy - but right now Wright is better than anyone we currently have outside of Ford. 

Somebody's not a Jett Bush fan.