2023 Transfer Thread - Texas Capitalized, ATM Victimized

44 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

So then why would we want him?  Is it not the goal, at a minimum, to get better players than those of our competition?

Given that TCU is 12-0 and has a pretty stacked veteran defense while we're giving Jett Bush meaningful minutes, I think you can see we're in a position to give a good player a lot more minutes.

• Hook 'Em 4

50 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Because right now we have zero depth at LB and Wright is a damn good player who could step in and play day 1. If a better LB steps into the portal then I’d be all for going after that guy - but right now Wright is better than anyone we currently have outside of Ford. 

Yep. I love our incoming LB class, especially if Hill joins in, but this season showed, you can't rely on freshmen to be day one starters if you want to win championships.

So then why would we want him?  Is it not the goal, at a minimum, to get better players than those of our competition?

What? The goal is to improve the roster as much as possible. Plugging a glaring hole with an unspectacular but solid piece is an accomplishment in that regard, especially if it ends up being the best guy available at the position. A direct comparison to TCU’s LB room is irrelevant. Your LBs don’t line up against theirs.
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

If a better LB steps into the portal then I’d be all for going after that guy

Secretary's dilemma. Without clairvoyance you don't know for sure whether it'll happen. Best you can do is tamper influence who you can.

I wonder if the coaching staff uses the 1/e stopping rule.

1 hour ago, pacman said:

TCU is just running with approximately 86 years of college experience in their Off/Def starting lineups.

tcu_roster_2022.jpg

LOL, I remember seeing some UT fans whine about Sark & UT's current season & how Sonny Dykes was able to win year 1 at TCU. Just completely ignoring the fact that TCU's entire starting lineup on both sides of the ball are experienced Juniors & Seniors.

I wonder how Gary Patterson gotta be feeling knowing that if TCU had given him 1 more season, he would've had a big bounce back year.

Edited by TheMailBox357
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

What? The goal is to improve the roster as much as possible. Plugging a glaring hole with an unspectacular but solid piece is an accomplishment in that regard, especially if it ends up being the best guy available at the position. A direct comparison to TCU’s LB room is irrelevant. Your LBs don’t line up against theirs.

Plus, LBs are usually key contributors on special teams whether they start on D or not. 

(A very positive update on Hill;  generally positive portal/other stuff in the note and the Q&A ... )

The Huddle: Latest on Anthony Hill, portal updates, recruiting notes

Hudson Standish

Spoiler

The Huddle: Latest on Anthony Hill, portal updates, recruiting notes

Hudson Standish

— The biggest remaining target in the 2023 class for the Texas Longhorns is undeniably Denton Ryan five-star linebacker Anthony Hill Jr. The Texas coaching staff led by Steve Sarkisian, Jeff Choate, and Jeff Banks stayed on Hill even while the Denton Ryan product was committed to Texas A&M which eventually helped lead to his decommitment from the Aggies.

One of the recurring questions we've gotten over the last week is if Texas A&M's win over LSU in their season finale had any impact on the direction of Hill's recruitment. After checking with sources all week the resounding answer has been "No."

All indications are that the Longhorns still have a commanding lead in this recruitment with national powerhouse programs trying to convince Hill and his family to delay a commitment or signing and take an unofficial visit.

Personally, I still feel very confident in my Texas crystal ball prediction for Hill.

— On Monday I mentioned in the comments of The Huddle that I felt like leading wideout Xavier Worthy would return to Texas next season even with mounting speculation surrounding his future in Austin. There now seems to be a near consensus that Worthy will indeed be back in Austin for his third season, but after checking with sources the current feeling is that he won't be the only impact player with other options returning to campus.

Nothing is finalized but the vibe is extremely optimistic regarding Jaylan Ford and Ryan Watts returning for the 2023 season. Watts and Ford were two breakout players for the resurgent Longhorns' defense in year two under Pete Kwiatkowski and if they both return will allow Texas to address other roster needs in the transfer portal.

— One spot that looked to be an easy spot to add from the portal prior to the season was the interior defensive line with Moro Ojomo and Keondre Coburn departing from campus. However, after checking with a few sources in the know the current feeling is that Texas would potentially only add one high-caliber IDL since the core of T'Vondre Sweat, Byron Muphy, Alfred Collins, and Vernon Broughton all are slated to return and made significant strides this season.

If the Anthony Hill trendline stays steady I could see Texas punting at linebacker or taking one while focusing the remaining spots at the more necessary spots of EDGE and cornerback.

image.thumb.png.474ab11aa3ca756db265cf3501f8b98e.png

image.thumb.png.6a9751df0c42094b68af9561875e7e51.png

image.thumb.png.99e39642823c710991d5f8630809ba80.png

image.thumb.png.ad7fd72cd3109d0e2d202af2f3d823e5.png

image.thumb.png.10c46e09697d879ff27cc560fff43814.png

image.thumb.png.65a93f9a9dd6737d25a23ec484713f5c.png

image.thumb.png.61fe39dd527d3cb4df77fb513b41e856.png

image.png

• Hook 'Em 4

SIAP but Hudson on potential player returns including Worthy

Spoiler

— On Monday I mentioned in the comments of The Huddle that I felt like leading wideout Xavier Worthy would return to Texas next season even with mounting speculation surrounding his future in Austin. There now seems to be a near consensus that Worthy will indeed be back in Austin for his third season, but after checking with sources the current feeling is that he won't be the only impact player with other options returning to campus.

Nothing is finalized but the vibe is extremely optimistic regarding Jaylan Ford and Ryan Watts returning for the 2023 season. Watts and Ford were two breakout players for the resurgent Longhorns' defense in year two under Pete Kwiatkowski and if they both return will allow Texas to address other roster needs in the transfer portal.

COMMENTS
— One spot that looked to be an easy spot to add from the portal prior to the season was the interior defensive line with Moro Ojomo and Keondre Coburn departing from campus. However, after checking with a few sources in the know the current feeling is that Texas would potentially only add one high-caliber IDL since the core of T'Vondre Sweat, Byron Muphy, Alfred Collins, and Vernon Broughton all are slated to return and made significant strides this season.

26 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

LOL, I remember seeing some UT fans whine about Sark & UT's current season & how Sonny Dykes was able to win year 1 at TCU. Just completely ignoring the fact that TCU's entire starting lineup on both sides of the ball are experienced Juniors & Seniors.

I wonder how Gary Patterson gotta be feeling knowing that if TCU had given him 1 more season, he would've had a big bounce back year.

Agree.

Same for (2021)Baylor last year, whose depth chart was eerily similar in college experience to (2022) TCUs.

• Like 1

And people are stupid enough to believe raw talent trumps experience, better fundamentals, teamwork, and being a few years older and stronger.

While TCU avoided the hemorrhage after firing their coach you definitely need stability to have a upperclassmen roster, Jimbo has no excuse in year 5 but Sark definitely does in year 2.

3 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Hurt his wrist stuffing @Harvdog's son into a locker.

It was hitting F5 to see if you could actually come up with something original or funny.  All those days of getting swirlees and locker stuffing must be tough for you to cope with.  It’s ok, you will eventually get over it.

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

You've dated a bunch of ugly women haven't you? 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Outstanding. I, too, agree that HenryJames is neither funny nor original. He's been on my ignore list for over a decade with his verbose and humorless paeans to whoever our HC is at any given time. 

Also, I'm sorry that Tunmise refused to autograph your chest. 

Also also, I in no way called the premise that Tunmise had his hand out, was a flake, and would flame out and transfer from wherever he landed first. Thank goodness I didn't do that, because had I, you ultimately would have went on numerous unhinged rants to tell me I was an unfunny, unknowing dickhead that had more or less never been laid. Figured now would be a fun time to bring that back up.

Can someone link the appendices for this shit?  I can't tell which parts are double-reverse sarcasm and which are just regular sarcasm.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

Grad transfer? Holy shit, if you have half a brain, you can graduate aggy in two years?

He's a redshirt sophomore. So more like 3 full calendar years (spring, summer, and fall semesters/sessions).

https://12thman.com/sports/football/roster/haynes-king/10647

For all we know though, he might like Von Miller and be a Poultry Science major.

I talked to a friend today around all of this stuff and they confirmed what some of us have been saying. No one knows shit. Anyone speaking declaratively right now about who will or won't be sticking somewhere ahead of next week is either going off of info about newly signed NIL work that they've actually seen or they're going off of what coaches are saying. Coaches saying anything right now are either wishcasting or taking players at their word. You cannot trust any player that has behaved in a mercenary previously to not do so again in some form. I'm not whining about it, just saying players saying anything to anyone can be dismissed until they prove their resolve to stay out as of Monday.

There are multiple Texas players that folks are actively working to keep engaged within the program, but those players are also being bombarded by external outreach. Don't think things are different anywhere else. The jobs on college football staffs have gotten stunningly harder with all of this and it is all new to every single one of them.

One of the hidden gems of making the CFP is that players on those teams are far less likely to do anything on Monday. By the time they do announce their intentions in January, only the truly terrific starters can ignore other schools filling up. Makes guys simply less likely to leave. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Outstanding. I, too, agree that HenryJames is neither funny nor original. He's been on my ignore list for over a decade with his verbose and humorless paeans to whoever our HC is at any given time. 

Also, I'm sorry that Tunmise refused to autograph your chest. 

Also also, I in no way called the premise that Tunmise had his hand out, was a flake, and would flame out and transfer from wherever he landed first. Thank goodness I didn't do that, because had I, you ultimately would have went on numerous unhinged rants to tell me I was an unfunny, unknowing dickhead that had more or less never been laid. Figured now would be a fun time to bring that back up.

Nah.  Unlike some, I am not petty enough to care about getting over on someone on a chat board.  

I actually sent you a message during his recruitment where I told you I was wrong on my assessment.  He turned into an ass during his recruitment.  I came correct and stated that I was wrong.  Never heard back from you.  Someone who is petty and keeping a list like Steve Buschemi in Billy Madison wouldn’t do that.  I know that he hated Tom Herman.  He hated that he wasn’t recruited hard, he was blown off and didn’t get an offer until a year after A&M, Alabama, and Ohio State offered.  He didn’t like the scheme. It’s hilarious and irony at its finest that the same scheme came to CS.  If he comes to Texas, great.  He needs to realize that he’s an interior DL, not the edge he thinks or thought during his recruitment.

4 minutes ago, Harvdog said:

Nah.  Unlike some, I am not petty enough to care about getting over on someone on a chat board.  

I actually sent you a message during his recruitment where I told you I was wrong on my assessment.  He turned into an ass during his recruitment.  I came correct and stated that I was wrong.  Never heard back from you.  Someone who is petty and keeping a list like Steve Buschemi in Billy Madison wouldn’t do that.  I know that he hated Tom Herman.  He hated that he wasn’t recruited hard, he was blown off and didn’t get an offer until a year after A&M, Alabama, and Ohio State offered.  He didn’t like the scheme. It’s hilarious and irony at its finest that the same scheme came to CS.  If he comes to Texas, great.  He needs to realize that he’s an interior DL, not the edge he thinks or thought during his recruitment.

Fortunately for us, Bo has leverage.  If he wants to become a great DT at Texas the option is there.  If he doesn't, well okay.