2023 Transfer Thread - Texas Capitalized, ATM Victimized

closetojumping

1 minute ago, Fondren & Main said:

Fortunately for us, Bo has leverage.  If he wants to become a great DT at Texas the option is there.  If he doesn't, well okay.

Agreed.  He has a slow first step. No way he’s an end in College. In HS in Katy, he could bullrush smaller OT’s from the edge.  Doesn’t work against a grown ass man. He needs to listen to Bo if he comes here.  He’s got the strength and body to add 20 more lbs and be dominant in the middle.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

No way Lincoln wants him. This is a nobody anyway but still stands

Ha. DJ U is about as big of a bust as I can remember. They spoke glowingly of the guy as some sort of wizard, using hushed tones and shit. He sucks out loud and should be converted to TE if he can catch.

• Hook 'Em 3

I talked to a friend today around all of this stuff and they confirmed what some of us have been saying. No one knows shit. Anyone speaking declaratively right now about who will or won't be sticking somewhere ahead of next week is either going off of info about newly signed NIL work that they've actually seen or they're going off of what coaches are saying. Coaches saying anything right now are either wishcasting or taking players at their word. You cannot trust any player that has behaved in a mercenary previously to not do so again in some form. I'm not whining about it, just saying players saying anything to anyone can be dismissed until they prove their resolve to stay out as of Monday.
There are multiple Texas players that folks are actively working to keep engaged within the program, but those players are also being bombarded by external outreach. Don't think things are different anywhere else. The jobs on college football staffs have gotten stunningly harder with all of this and it is all new to every single one of them.
One of the hidden gems of making the CFP is that players on those teams are far less likely to do anything on Monday. By the time they do announce their intentions in January, only the truly terrific starters can ignore other schools filling up. Makes guys simply less likely to leave. 

So are you saying there’s a chance with worthy or is he already gone.

34 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I talked to a friend today around all of this stuff and they confirmed what some of us have been saying. No one knows shit. Anyone speaking declaratively right now about who will or won't be sticking somewhere ahead of next week is either going off of info about newly signed NIL work that they've actually seen or they're going off of what coaches are saying. Coaches saying anything right now are either wishcasting or taking players at their word. You cannot trust any player that has behaved in a mercenary previously to not do so again in some form. I'm not whining about it, just saying players saying anything to anyone can be dismissed until they prove their resolve to stay out as of Monday.

There are multiple Texas players that folks are actively working to keep engaged within the program, but those players are also being bombarded by external outreach. Don't think things are different anywhere else. The jobs on college football staffs have gotten stunningly harder with all of this and it is all new to every single one of them.

One of the hidden gems of making the CFP is that players on those teams are far less likely to do anything on Monday. By the time they do announce their intentions in January, only the truly terrific starters can ignore other schools filling up. Makes guys simply less likely to leave. 

This shit will really get next level if and when schools ever start to coordinate with each other and hunt in packs. Much like the animal kingdom or bannination by crowd sourcing on an internet message board, pack behavior can take over and the weak can team up to take down someone much stronger. 

Imagine a world where the big 10 was tired of Ohio State kicking sand in their face (pre last two years with Michigan) and each of the schools coordinated together that their one big move in the off-season was going to be to take down a starter from Ohio State by overpaying one of their  players. Ohio state could wake up down 19 starters between graduation, early entry and each of their conference mates poaching one dude. In aggregate Texas or Ohio State or USC or the like can and will have more money to spend than other schools, but if they have to spread that money around they are vulnerable to any particular school getting a wild hair and overpaying one particular guy. 

As this is a very real possibility I sort of expect, within a few years, for some collusion and MAD doctrine to come into play amongst the big boys of college football. Maybe that doesn’t ever  happen but it is a pretty common way for ownership class to keep down labor. Hell- I’ve seen it with my own two eyes in something as stupid as 6 figure revenue title offices.  No- we aren’t going to recruit them away because then they will recruit ours away over here and it won’t work out collectively for the best for us. 

This shit is fascinating to watch play out in real time. 

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Ha. DJ U is about as big of a bust as I can remember. They spoke glowingly of the guy as some sort of wizard, using hushed tones and shit. He sucks out loud and should be converted to TE if he can catch.

I watched him in person vs NC State last year - was a noticeable athlete on the hoof. Then he started playing and looked frightened and confused any time he didn't just run it on a QB draw. Nothing about it said "this guy is fixable".

Handcuffing himself to his brother is smart I guess in terms of getting on the UCLA roster.

Edited by texifornia

8 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

As this is a very real possibility I sort of expect, within a few years, for some collusion and MAD doctrine to come into play amongst the big boys of college football. Maybe that doesn’t ever  happen but it is a pretty common way for ownership class to keep down labor. Hell- I’ve seen it with my own two eyes in something as stupid as 6 figure revenue title offices.  No- we aren’t going to recruit them away because then they will recruit ours away over here and it won’t work out collectively for the best for us. 

A gentleman's agreement, if you will.

• Haha 3

50 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I was thinking about this. It's going to drive somebody like Saban, who has worked so hard to build/instill a culture in Alabama that allows him to sit a guy for two seasons with the promise that he'll get his day in the sun and very possibly be a high draft pick afterward, crazy.

It also means that every season every team is starting with a blank slate, so one team that has never been a force, historically (like Colorado, for example) could perhaps catch lightning in a bottle one year, have a glorious season, and go back to being 4-8 the next year.  It seems like the days of dynasties may be over.  It also means that a team like Texas, with all the financial resources in the world, stands a good a chance as any to have a super season, IF the coaches can get the portal player analysis right.

It's a brave new world and only the strong of stomach will emerge with their sanity intact.

14 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

This shit will really get next level if and when schools ever start to coordinate with each other and hunt in packs. Much like the animal kingdom or bannination by crowd sourcing on an internet message board, pack behavior can take over and the weak can team up to take down someone much stronger. 

Imagine a world where the big 10 was tired of Ohio State kicking sand in their face (pre last two years with Michigan) and each of the schools coordinated together that their one big move in the off-season was going to be to take down a starter from Ohio State by overpaying one of their  players. Ohio state could wake up down 19 starters between graduation, early entry and each of their conference mates poaching one dude. In aggregate Texas or Ohio State or USC or the like can and will have more money to spend than other schools, but if they have to spread that money around they are vulnerable to any particular school getting a wild hair and overpaying one particular guy. 

You worry too much.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Our pass defense needs help and he's a potential lockdown corner that we begged for. Of course we take a shot

Unfortunately, he has a better chance of ending up in jail in the next 3 years than he does of becoming a lockdown corner.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just for fun, I added an Aggie 2022 tab to the Texas Football Roster (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TzoBTIvCXfZIk7Sz3C9txMg0yPvrXyVM/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=115568097012710816219&rtpof=true&sd=true) so we can track how many of the "greatest class ever" end up transferring. The Prediction column is just a guess based on what I see on Surly. I originally assumed all OOS and other mercenaries would transfer, but I toned it down to just those that were rumored to leave. When a portal is announced. I highlight it in pink, same as I do in the 2023 tab for Texas. Here's a screenshot:

1724971591_Aggie2022.thumb.png.26624b0030576e773fa338b5007418dc.png

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Such a terrible structure. The NCAA has to do something or the schools need to split.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Do we even give it shot with Harris or take a pass?

The kid needs to take some time away from football and figure out what direction he wants to take his life. Of course his people won’t let him do that so hopefully he finds a program with very strong leadership and discipline. He is not even welcome on North Shore campus right now. 

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, AP101S said:

Just for fun, I added an Aggie 2022 tab to the Texas Football Roster (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TzoBTIvCXfZIk7Sz3C9txMg0yPvrXyVM/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=115568097012710816219&rtpof=true&sd=true) so we can track how many of the "greatest class ever" end up transferring. The Prediction column is just a guess based on what I see on Surly. I originally assumed all OOS and other mercenaries would transfer, but I toned it down to just those that were rumored to leave. When a portal is announced. I highlight it in pink, same as I do in the 2023 tab for Texas. Here's a screenshot:

1724971591_Aggie2022.thumb.png.26624b0030576e773fa338b5007418dc.png

So what's everybody's opinion on who/how many on this list need to transfer to really decimate their program where they can't even get to their usual 8-4 season.  I don't think someone like Nolen (or any DL for that matter) deciding to transfer would really hurt them because they are so deep with all those DL men from the last class.  Obviously Weigman would be crushing but I don't see it happening.  Would love for Stewart to bolt but we shall see.

Just now, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

So what's everybody's opinion on who/how many on this list need to transfer to really decimate their program where they can't even get to their usual 8-4 season.  I don't think someone like Nolen (or any DL for that matter) deciding to transfer would really hurt them because they are so deep with all those DL men from the last class.  Obviously Weigman would be crushing but I don't see it happening.  Would love for Stewart to bolt but we shall see.

I mean, isn't their program already decimated? They couldn't get to their usual 8-4 season this year.

Unless you believe the story that they have unlimited amounts of talented youth, Connor Weigman will be the savior, and the only thing keeping them from a date in the CFP next year will be if 25 guys transfer. 

28 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

Supposedly he was the driver when Williams got busted. Supposedly he made a major from far right to far left lane change to then turn left across traffic in a very short period of time..

You can take the kid outta the H, but you can’t keep him from sittin sideways while drippin candy paint on the pavement

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

This got me thinking who our most pursued guys would be. I'd imagine, in rough order: Worthy, Banks, Ford, Barron, Murphy, Sweat.

Banks would be the biggest loss by far. Staff needs to get him paid whatever it takes. Hopefully I'm just worrying too much but this one concerns me given how his HS recruitment played out (Oregon bitcoin).

Edited by Tex-19

46 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I was thinking about this. It's going to drive somebody like Saban, who has worked so hard to  build/instill a culture in Alabama that allows him to be in the select few teams that has paid players for years! Now its legal and he haz a sad.  sit a guy for two seasons with the promise that he'll get his day in the sun and very possibly be a high draft pick afterward, crazy.

It also means that every season every team is starting with a blank slate, so one team that has never been a force, historically (like Colorado, for example) could perhaps catch lightning in a bottle one year, have a glorious season, and go back to being 4-8 the next year.  It seems like the days of dynasties may be over.  It also means that a team like Texas, with all the financial resources in the world, stands a good a chance as any to have a super season, IF the coaches can get the portal player analysis right.

It's a brave new world and only the strong of stomach will emerge with their sanity intact.

tldr; fify

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

They have a massive depth issue already and it will only worsen as more guys transfer. they processed a ton of bad evals from previous classes last year, but are now seeing huge attrition in the 21 and 22 classes this year. Combine that with most of the guys Jimbo hit on in 19 and 20 leaving early, and they’re not going to have many upperclassmen who can contribute. On top of that, their 23 class is extremely small, so they’re not getting a ton of contributors from there. So they’ll have to bring a ton of guys in form the portal, but they’re currently spending a shit ton just to retain their current guys from the 22 class. 

So even if they keep a lot of the 22 guys they want, their depth will be absolutely horrible and they’ll fall apart as soon as injuries hit. They’d have to have extremely good injury luck next year to keep it together. 

Im sure someone can post it, but if you look at a depth chart or scholarship distribution for A&M this season and then subtract guys graduating/leaving early and all the portal guys, the chart starts to look very thin real fast. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 8