2023 Transfer Thread - Texas Capitalized, ATM Victimized

I could see Jimbo having professors/administrators hurting the grades/credits of players wanting to leave to prevent them from transferring. (Of course this would open the school up to lawsuits, but grading essays on a curve is kind of a nebulous task.)

I wonder how many players will let schools know (through back channels) that they will be entering the portal, but won’t submit their paperwork until they have received their grades. (I could see Urban Meyer and his disciples doing this.)

Anyway, so there’s that.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Was really expecting to wake up to about 3-4 new pages with news from a Midnight Madness style rush last night. 

It's mostly ACC announcements right now - Miami, Clemson, and UNC all had multiple guys jump in. The Big XII kids haven't woken up yet.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

I'm curious to find out what is going to happen with the bowl games. Are people still going to attend a game missing half the starters? Are coaches going to want to coach such a game?

Separately, are these guys eligible immediately? Like can TCU pick up a few guys for their game against Michigan?

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It's mostly ACC announcements right now - Miami, Clemson, and UNC all had multiple guys jump in. The Big XII kids haven't woken up yet.

Anyone that we might have interest in?

14 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

What a complete bust this guy was. Former 5 star, as bad as the Brocks.

BETTER than the Brocks. He at least started a few games and got in a bunch of others on ST and was a backup OL so got some snaps that way.

as far as I know Tommy has only ever played in 2 games for Bama, this year vs ULM for a few snaps and this year vs Austin Peay he played 10 snaps. James got like 2 snaps vs ULM as well.

Edited by NoName

10 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Was that really smart for Deion to tell the entire team to hit the portal? I realize they are not stocked with elite talent but holy shit that’s a bold move. Does he really have a couple dozen starters/key contributors lined up to transfer in? 

Colorado is literally the #126 of 131 FEI teams in the country.

126/131 on offense

119/131 on defense

they are very not good. worst p5 in the country based on FEI.

16 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I'm curious to find out what is going to happen with the bowl games. Are people still going to attend a game missing half the starters? Are coaches going to want to coach such a game?

Separately, are these guys eligible immediately? Like can TCU pick up a few guys for their game against Michigan?

Anyone that we might have interest in?

Hopefully they reduce the number of bowl games. 6-6 bowl games are stupid 

Ten names to know for the Longhorns as the Transfer Portal opens
MIKE ROACH

Spoiler

Ten names to know for the Longhorns as the Transfer Portal opens
MIKE ROACH

The NCAA Transfer Portal opened at midnight ushering in the free agency season for college football. Though FBS players can’t officially enter their name before the window opens, FCS players have been live for two weeks while many FBS players have already made their intentions known via social media.

In the coming weeks, the transfer board will gain more clarity, but what fun is waiting for the scope to narrow when there are already names worth discussing? Some of these names have been indicated to us by sources while others just make too much sense.

As the college football world starts to buzz with impact players, the Longhorns will take their shot to continue adding talent in their quest to get back to the top of college football. Here are 10 players to know as the Transfer Portal opens.

You can follow all the Transfer Portal fun with the 247Sports’ Transfer Portal Palooza show on YouTube on Monday at 9:00 a.m. central time.

JQ Hardaway, DB, Cincinnati

A former Top247 player in the 2022 class, Hardaway chose Cincinnati over offers from Florida, Georgia, Oregon, Tennessee and USC. The Under Armour All-American saw time as a freshman recording 8 tackles and a sack. Many members of the Texas staff have already followed the former Phenix City (AL.) Central star in hopes of landing a potential impact player. Hardaway fits the build Steve Sarkisian likes in his cornerback and could fit into the picture immediately

Avery Helm, CB, Florida

The former Fort Bend Marshall star signed with Florida in the 2020 class and played three years for the Gators. After redshirting in 2020, Helm made 13 career starts in 22 games. During his time in Gainesville, Helm recorded 31 tackles and 4 PBUs. Helm held 23 offers in high school and picked the Gators over offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Georgia, LSU, TCU and Tennessee. Several members of the Texas staff are following Helm on social media indicating that there may be some interest once his name is officially live.

Justin Wright, LB, Tulsa

A former Abilene Cooper star, Wright signed with the Golden Hurricane in the 2018 class. A three-year letterwinner and two year starter, Wright amassed 254 total tackles, 4 pass break ups, 7.5 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 4 interceptions and 1 touchdown. A graduate transfer candidate using his extra year of COVID eligibility, Wright is already seeing the offers come in. It’s unclear how hard the Longhorns will pursue linebacker options in the portal, but Wright has been followed on social media by Brennan Marion and Steve Sarkisian.

Dominic Lovett, WR, Missouri

A former Top247 member in the 2021 class, Lovett chose the Tigers over offers from Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, LSU, Oregon and Penn State. Lovett saw action in two years with the Tigers accumulating 82 receptions for 1,019 yards and 3 touchdowns receiving. He also added 11 carries for 46 yards and 1 touchdown. Lovett would fit what Texas is looking for as an explosive big-play threat with multiple years of eligibility left and several staffers are following him on social media.

Damieon George, OL, Alabama

The former Galena Park North Shore star signed with Kyle Flood out of high school in 2020. He was recruited by Jeff Banks as well, so there are plenty of ties to the Texas staff. During his time in Tuscaloosa, George saw rotational snaps and guard and tackle seeing a few starts. When he initially indicated his intent to enter the NCAA Transfer Portal, a source told us he would be a player Texas might have an interest in. After talking with sources over the weekend, we don’t believe there will be much pursuit unless there is some unexpected attrition in that unit. The staff is happy with the current group of talent on campus and the group coming in with the 2023 class.

Christian Leary, WR, Alabama

A former Top 100 player in the 2021 class, Leary chose Alabama over offers from Auburn, Georgia, Miami, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Penn State and Texas A&M. The former Orlando (FL.) Edgewater star saw time at running back as a freshman before moving back to receiver in a rotational role in 2022. Leary hasn’t contributed much during his time in Tuscaloosa and is largely unproven. He was recruited to Alabama by Steve Sarkisian and Jeff Banks and has the type of big play ability the staff covets.

Traeshon Holden, WR, Alabama

A former Top247 member, Holden chose Alabama in the 2020 class over offers from Alabama, Oregon, Florida, Florida State, LSU, Michigan and Ohio State. Holden saw action in his first two seasons and gained a starting role in 2022. During his time with the Crimson Tide, Holden recorded 46 receptions for 570 yards and 7 touchdowns. A big-bodied wide receiver who can add size and physicality, Holden is a player the staff is familiar with who could add something the offense doesn’t have.

Drae McCray, WR, Austin Peay

A three-star prospect in the 2021 class, McCray chose Austin Peay over offers from Arkansas State, Coastal Carolina, UAB and Troy. McCray moved to receiver at the college level and exploded for 1,893 yards and 17 touchdowns on 127 career catches. McCray chose to transfer after two years with the Governors. A former FCS Freshman All-American, McCray is another player who fits the role of an explosive receiver with big play ability. Several Texas staffers are following McCray on social which usually indicates significant interest.

Dante Cephas, WR, Kent State

Cephas chose Kent State in 2019 over offers from Bowling Green, Eastern Kentucky, Howard and Toledo. Cephas played for three seasons with the Golden Flashes and broke out in 2021 with 1,124 yards and 8 touchdowns on 78 catches. During his time with Kent State, Cephas recorded 2,139 yards and 12 touchdowns on 145 catches. No staffers are following Cephas as of yet, but he would make sense from a production standpoint and he’s a Pittsburgh (PA) native where Brennan Marion has significant ties.

Clayton Smith, EDGE, Oklahoma

A former All-American at Texarkana (Texas) Texas High School, Smith chose Oklahoma over offers from Texas, LSU, Florida State, Michigan and Oregon in the 2021 class. Smith recorded 8 total tackles in his two years at Oklahoma. Though relatively unproven, Smith still has quite a bit of potential and several members of the coaching staff are following him on social media. He was recruited by Pete Kwiatkowski out of high school and could be an option as an edge rusher for Texas where his former high school teammate Derrick Brown currently plays.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, immamac said:

Does someone remember who posted a good concise list of our needs and quantities? I can't seem to find the post I wanted to add it to the sticky.

I posted something Nahlin had put out:

WR – 2

OL – maybe 1 

TE – maybe 1 receiving threat

Edge – probably 1

IDL – maybe 1 but Sweat returning is big

LB – maybe 1 depending on what Anthony Hill does

S – definitely 1, maybe 2 depending on exPorts

CB – maybe 1 depending on finish to ‘23 class

P – 1

• Hook 'Em 4

On the 247 portal show

Fong just said OU is very much in the mix for Dasan McCullough. Said Texas, Texas A&M, USC, etc are interested. He said Texas is one to watch for Fentrell Cypress along with Tennessee, LSU, etc

Fong'd

Edited by pacman
  • Hook 'Em 1

Was that really smart for Deion to tell the entire team to hit the portal? I realize they are not stocked with elite talent but holy shit that’s a bold move. Does he really have a couple dozen starters/key contributors lined up to transfer in? 

That’s the headline, but he didn’t really say that. What he said was actually pretty typical coach speak; that things are going to change, they’re going to be hard on the group, and they’re going to try to make the one who don’t want to put in the work or can’t hack it quit. It just gets more attention because he’s got some flash and he’s Deion Sanders.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

That’s the headline, but he didn’t really say that. What he said was actually pretty typical coach speak; that things are going to change, they’re going to be hard on the group, and they’re going to try to make the one who don’t want to put in the work quit. It just gets more attention because he’s got some flash and he’s Deion Sanders.

And he filmed it.  And put it out for everyone to see.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

FWIW - Nahlin says Texas is almost guaranteed to get one good DB, but that it won't play out immediately.

Don't know if this means Texas is waiting on a guy - or if its just going to be a real recruiting battle for most of these guys.

I'm thinking the player doesn't want to be on campus when the news hits, so waiting until end of semester.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

FWIW - Nahlin says Texas is almost guaranteed to get one good DB, but that it won't play out immediately.

Don't know if this means Texas is waiting on a guy - or if its just going to be a real recruiting battle for most of these guys.

I fully expect the 9.95ers to ruin this totally and completely.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Probably same guy CTJ has been talking about DB X!

1 minute ago, pacman said:

I'm thinking the player doesn't want to be on campus when the news hits, so waiting until end of semester.

I think that's good logic. Especially if it still the situation some of us have been hearing about for a month+.

Just now, NoName said:

I fully expect the 9.95ers to ruin this totally and completely.

I can guarantee you that it won't be IT fucking it up. The liabilities are the same as they ever were - Chip Brown and Geoff Ketchum/Anwar. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think that's good logic. Especially if it still the situation some of us have been hearing about for a month+.

I can guarantee you that it won't be IT fucking it up. The liabilities are the same as they ever were - Chip Brown and Geoff Ketchum/Anwar. 

I really respect that IT can be in the know and not ruin things for Texas. Eric can be an ass at times but IT does look out for Texas’ best interest. 

if Ketch or Chip ruin this secondary player for Texas after the work that has been put in to make it work, Texas has to pull their media credentials. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

IT isn't the one anyone worries about, it's absolutely FCB and Ketch. I don't put Anwar quite on that same tier if shithousery but that's me.

3 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

I really respect that IT can be in the know and not ruin things for Texas. Eric can be an ass at times but IT does look out for Texas’ best interest. 

if Ketch or Chip ruin this secondary player for Texas after the work that has been put in to make it work, Texas has to pull their media credentials. 

Texas is too much of a pussy AD department for that.