2023 Transfer Thread - Texas Capitalized, ATM Victimized

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

According to Bobby Burton a few weeks ago, BJ Allen had a non-football related injury earlier this year that set him back... Bobby did not disclose what the injury was or how it occurred because he felt it wasn't his place to share.  Also said coaches were still upbeat about BJ Allen's future...

Being up to 210lbs is surprising to hear about Allen though...

Depending on the injury, it's easy to gain (and then lose) bad weight quickly.

6 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Christian Jones and Junior Angilau will make way for some of the young talent to see more playing time as they leave the program as well. Devon Campbell, Cam Williams and Neto Umeozulu are all guys that will get a great look in the spring and throughout bowl practices.

Has Angilau already made up his mind?

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

He walked at Sr. Day - which is usually a pretty good indication a guy isn't coming back I think.

Some people walked last year who returned.  Sark has said he wants as many people to walk as possible and make decisions later.

• Hook 'Em 1

The portal is crazy. Double edge sword. If/when sark gets fired we could see a mass exodus of good players leave texas. Of course the new coach has the portal to navigate and fill the needs.

Another thought, I wonder if Ewers not living up to his ridiculous expectations in year 1 hurts manning. Ewers could make a gigantic leap next year and leave for the NFL. That’s what everyone was expecting before this year. If Ewers is here for 3 years. Would manning sit on the bench for 2 years or hit the portal?

Which kinda sucks since not many 24 highly rated qbs wanna come here since manning is here. Hopefully we can get a sleeper and/or keep our back ups. Which again, is hard with the portal.

Or manning beats out Ewers and there goes that lol.

6 hours ago, Getafix said:

Here's the latest departure list for the Aggies (12/5 AM).

Transfer Portal

QB Haynes King (grad transfer, entered 12/2)

RB LJ Johnson (announced plans 11/27)

WR Chase Lane (grad transfer, entered 11/29)

TE Blake Smith (announced plans 12/1)

OT PJ Williams (announced plans 12/2)

DE Elijah Jeudy (announced plans 11/27)

DE Donell Harris (Had been medically retired, announced plans 11/21)

DE Tunmise Adeleye (announced plans 12/1)

LB Ish Harris (announced plans 11/27)

CB Brian George (grad transfer, entered 12/1)

CB Denver Harris (announced plans 12/2)

K Caden Davis (grad transfer, entered 11/28)

NFL Draft

CB Jaylon Jones (announced 12/4)

Reaffirmed plans to stay

OL Kam Dewberry (11/29)

DT McKinnley Jackson (11/28)

DL Gabriel Brownlow-Dindy (12/1)

DL Walter Nolen (12/1)

With this and the lack of recruits can aggy field a team next year? Can someone check the numbers.. 🤔

I never read anything about Aaron Bryant or Kristopher Ross when writers are discussing the depth at Defensive Line.  I thought both of those guys were players.  Texas should be loaded at DT, despite the graduation of Coburn and Ojomo.  

Edited by Mdhorn

1 minute ago, Mdhorn said:

I never read anything about Aaron Bryant or Kristopher Ross when writers are discussing the depth at Defensive Line.  I thought both of those guys were players.  Texas should be loaded at DT despite the attrition of two players.  

I bet you’ll hear about them in bowl practices. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Mdhorn said:

I never read anything about Aaron Bryant or Kristopher Ross when writers are discussing the depth at Defensive Line.  I thought both of those guys were players.  Texas should be loaded at DT despite the attrition of two players.  

It's all mostly inexperienced depth though. You don't want to be counting on those dudes if you have a choice 

According to Bobby Burton a few weeks ago, BJ Allen had a non-football related injury earlier this year that set him back... Bobby did not disclose what the injury was or how it occurred because he felt it wasn't his place to share.  Also said coaches were still upbeat about BJ Allen's future...
Being up to 210lbs is surprising to hear about Allen though...

For some reason I thought this was reported as due to mono. Which actually makes the weight gain impressive. Then again, I could be completely wrong

Some players who check-in to the portal may not "secure the bag"... and just end up getting the "Hotel California" experience

giphy.gif

What Happens to My Current Scholarship When I Enter the Transfer Portal?

NCAA DI schools are allowed to cancel or reduce a student’s scholarship as early as the next term after a student-athlete enters the Transfer Portal. Unfortunately, for those students who enter the Transfer Portal and then change their mind at a later date, they may have lost their scholarship (and their roster spot) by the time they finalize their decision. NCAA DII schools may also cancel or reduce a scholarship at the end of the period of the award on the scholarship agreement.

6 minutes ago, Surlian said:

It's all mostly inexperienced depth though. You don't want to be counting on those dudes if you have a choice 

They have to get experience sometime. Kelvin Banks was an inexperienced OL until he wasn’t and balled! I say give ‘em a chance 

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Nicole Scherzinger Television GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Surlian said:

We are effing loaded at DT, there is no shame or shunning of those kids that didn't play. They needed to develop physically as well. Freshmen linemen in general rarely make a significant impact, when they do, its because there is shit there in the first place. Pretty sure those young guys are going to be good they just had too much depth in front of them. Good problem to have.

• Hook 'Em 1

Dumb question amnesty?  I'm pretty sure it's already been asked and answered, and I've looked it up and think I know as well, but with all the guys who have already transferred once going into the portal again, it has me wondering.

1st transfer = play right away

2nd transfer = sit a year 

Is that accurate?

5 minutes ago, D3zii said:

They have to get experience sometime. Kelvin Banks was an inexperienced OL until he wasn’t and balled! I say give ‘em a chance 

Nicole Scherzinger Television GIF

They would, we'd probably just rotate them in more. Then Sweat + the transfer leave and you'll have a bunch of 3rd year dudes with substantial reps over two years and 3 years of film + S&C 

This is assuming Collins decides to keep dicking around. If he actually shows up (lol) I'd be okay w/ what we have. Gets us a Murphy/Sweat/Collins IDL and then the year after we'll have Murphy + all the young dudes 

8 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

We are effing loaded at DT, there is no shame or shunning of those kids that didn't play. They needed to develop physically as well. Freshmen linemen in general rarely make a significant impact, when they do, its because there is shit there in the first place. Pretty sure those young guys are going to be good they just had too much depth in front of them. Good problem to have.

There was no shaming. It's true regardless of position or talent - if possible, you'd rather not be dependent on young inexperienced players. Not saying they're bad, just that "Good and has 2+ years starting experience" is better "Pretty good to good but hasn't had a lot of snaps." 

Everything I've read has been that any IDL transfer would be a one year guy, so it wouldn't change a ton (or that's the thinking at least). Just gives the young guys another year of backup reps and S&C before they have to be starting which would be great 

Edited by Surlian
-

8 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Dumb question amnesty?  I'm pretty sure it's already been asked and answered, and I've looked it up and think I know as well, but with all the guys who have already transferred once going into the portal again, it has me wondering.

1st transfer = play right away

2nd transfer = sit a year 

Is that accurate?

Yes...unless one of these transfers has an exemption (grad transfer for example.)

• Hook 'Em 2

48 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

He walked at Sr. Day - which is usually a pretty good indication a guy isn't coming back I think.

46 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Some people walked last year who returned.  Sark has said he wants as many people to walk as possible and make decisions later.

He's gone. The surprise is Merrill. Maybe he needs the spring to get his degree? 

• Hook 'Em 1