2022 Houston Rockets Offseason Thread - Lottery, Lottery, Lottery

BigOrange1

22 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Every one of those players are on cheap, expiring contracts. Lots of flexibility moving forward. 

and two have already played for the Rockets. I am starting to get excited for Banchero. I want to see some full court TD passes to Green off defensive rebounds.

I'd take a flier on Kendall Brown at 26. Banchero, Eason, and Brown would be another great haul to add to Green, Sengun, Garuba, and Christopher.

I'd be shocked if any of those 4 guys get any playing time for the Rockets next season.

I am going to laugh my ass off when the Mavericks give Wood that max extension, the dude wants money, he doesn't want to win. This is a Chandler Parsons 2.0 signing.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Haha 1

I saw this on reddit.

In games where Wood didn't play our younglings averaged...

Kevin Porter Jr: 25 PPG, 6.8 RPG, 6.7 APG on 61 TS% (10 games)

Jalen Green: 24.8 PPG, 2.8 RPG, 3.3 APG on 60 TS% (12 games)

Alperen Sengun: 13 PPG, 9 RPG, 3.5 APG on 55 TS% (12 games)

• Hook 'Em 3

24 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I'd take a flier on Kendall Brown at 26. Banchero, Eason, and Brown would be another great haul to add to Green, Sengun, Garuba, and Christopher.

I'd be shocked if any of those 4 guys get any playing time for the Rockets next season.

I am going to laugh my ass off when the Mavericks give Wood that max extension, the dude wants money, he doesn't want to win. This is a Chandler Parsons 2.0 signing.

Gave up nothing. If he’s a problem that’s cap space brotha. 

6 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

Gave up nothing. If he’s a problem that’s cap space brotha. 

Because Wood has no value in the league. He's now going to his 7th NBA team in 6 seasons. Mavericks had to make the deal because they don't get FAs, but like I said this is Chandler Parsons 2.0, this isn't going to work out for Dallas because Wood is a cancer.

16 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Let's hope.

@Fud, who you got at 10 or 11? Sochan??

Sochan might be gone by then. Maybe Dieng, or maybe guaranteeing you’re getting Eason? Maybe Sharpe falls a little?

There’s some guys in that range who I don’t like at that spot, like Duren, M Williams, Davis, and Griffin

12 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Because Wood has no value in the league. He's now going to his 7th NBA team in 6 seasons. Mavericks had to make the deal because they don't get FAs, but like I said this is Chandler Parsons 2.0, this isn't going to work out for Dallas because Wood is a cancer.

Same was said about dinwiddie. He bought in. You may be right. Hoping you’re wrong. 

19 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I guess, but they haven't extended him yet. If he fucks up the chemistry or just sucks they gave up a late first that was unlikely to provide a difference maker in an attempt to shore up their biggest weakness from the playoffs. If they max him out over the summer or something then yeah, big gamble with potential Parsons failure. As it stands though the Mavs made a pretty decent move.

• Hook 'Em 1

I won $500 on an 18 month old bet I made that Wood would never be a part of a winning Rockets team. 
when I said trade him soon in January of 21 I got 8 pages of responses calling me an idiot, booked said bet and collected. 
I wish they would have done it last offseason when I believed he probably had more value, but some on here even thought it was dumb to be talking about trading him in January of 21. 
he was never going to be part of a winning Rockets formula- you sign guys like that- showcase them- rehab their value and then trade them when you can get future value that matches your timeline. 
the rockets should be looking to do that with everyone that isn’t Green, Senguin and the #3 in this years draft. 
Ideally we suck again next year trade everyone but those three guys for future picks and have zero money committed to anyone other than those 3 players, a high first rounder next year- and have space for 2 max guys along with a handful of draft picks in 24/25/26. That’s a plan that can win a championship. Jeff Luhnow says what’s up. 
2 max guys, Green, Senguin, Palo (ugh), top 8 pick next year, mid level exception next year and that’s 7 rotation guys that should be a really really good team. Then you should have about 6 more picks after you make your trades to find 2 more rotation guys. That’s 9 quality guys. That’s title contender territory if you can get two max guys and pair them with that kind of young talent. 
I don’t have any confidence in management. Damn I miss Morey. 

8 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Decent value for Wood right? A first round pick and a bunch of nobodies on expiring contracts. 

I figured we'd get a first, but I was hoping it was a little better (maybe mid-late teens)

9 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I won $500 on an 18 month old bet I made that Wood would never be a part of a winning Rockets team. 
when I said trade him soon in January of 21 I got 8 pages of responses calling me an idiot, booked said bet and collected. 
I wish they would have done it last offseason when I believed he probably had more value, but some on here even thought it was dumb to be talking about trading him in January of 21. 
he was never going to be part of a winning Rockets formula- you sign guys like that- showcase them- rehab their value and then trade them when you can get future value that matches your timeline. 
the rockets should be looking to do that with everyone that isn’t Green, Senguin and the #3 in this years draft. 
Ideally we suck again next year trade everyone but those three guys for future picks and have zero money committed to anyone other than those 3 players, a high first rounder next year- and have space for 2 max guys along with a handful of draft picks in 24/25/26. That’s a plan that can win a championship. Jeff Luhnow says what’s up. 
2 max guys, Green, Senguin, Palo (ugh), top 8 pick next year, mid level exception next year and that’s 7 rotation guys that should be a really really good team. Then you should have about 6 more picks after you make your trades to find 2 more rotation guys. That’s 9 quality guys. That’s title contender territory if you can get two max guys and pair them with that kind of young talent. 
I don’t have any confidence in management. Damn I miss Morey. 

Why no confidence in Stone? I think he has been pretty damn solid and has done a better job in his role than Caserio and Click have done in theirs. Last year’s haul on draft day was impressive. With the Wood trade, it’s clear that we are going to draft a big, most likely Banchero, and are not going to go all in on small ball with drafting Ivey. I loved Morey too, I don’t like Tillman at all. As long as he spends money (hahaha) when we are ready to contend I think we’re in good shape. Stone’s next big test is finding a good coach, Abdelfattah won coach of the year for our G League team. He needs to be an assistant on Silas’ staff this year and be ready to be the interim coach when we fire Silas midseason.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 2

38 minutes ago, Fud said:

I figured we'd get a first, but I was hoping it was a little better (maybe mid-late teens)

Locker room cancers with inflated, empty calorie stats on a bad team are not that valuable. Glad to get that asshole out of our locker room so he doesn’t poison them. Boban is the type of bench vet we need. 

• Hook 'Em 1

A point that many are making is that they now have nine first rounders in two years (Green, Sengun, Garuba, Christopher, 2022 #3 + #17 + #26, 2023 Houston/Brooklyn higher pick + Milwaukee's pick). From a roster management standpoint, are they really going to draft and keep all three of those 2022 picks?

31 minutes ago, Fud said:

A point that many are making is that they now have nine first rounders in two years (Green, Sengun, Garuba, Christopher, 2022 #3 + #17 + #26, 2023 Houston/Brooklyn higher pick + Milwaukee's pick). From a roster management standpoint, are they really going to draft and keep all three of those 2022 picks?

I would think they’ll try and move up. I don’t know historically how often that happens in the nba draft(two picks to move up for one), seems to happen a ton more in the nfl draft. I would love to move up to 10 though. Didn’t we all assume that last year but we stuck with sengun and Christopher and didn’t move up higher. 

35 minutes ago, Fud said:

Sorry, nine first rounders in *three* years

Do the Rockets buy out Wall?

You could argue the Rockets are gaining leverage with Wall. He wants the money but wants to play. Sitting out for 2 straight years while healthy won’t do him any favors. 

Maybe he is open to a discount so he can be free to sign with whoever? (Cough Lakers)

And Gordon?  Seems to be a good locker room guy and only worth a second round pick most likely. Just let him play it out?

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Fud said:

17, 26, plus Milwaukee to move up this year (can that get you to 10?11?) or down the road to 24 draft. 

2 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

And Gordon?  Seems to be a good locker room guy and only worth a second round pick most likely. Just let him play it out?

I think Gordon can return a 1st, and I think he gets traded by the deadline 

1 hour ago, Fud said:

I think Gordon can return a 1st, and I think he gets traded by the deadline 

i think gordon is a guy whose value is the highest during the season when a contender sees him as an upgrade to their guard rotation and has a relatively safe idea of where their pick will fall in the upcoming draft rather than in the offseason when teams think they can just find a cheaper version of him on the free agent market.  so yeah, if he gets moved I think it happens in season rather than during the offseason.

17 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Can we move up and get Mark Williams, please?  That dude is going to be a higher end Capela,  The scouts see 3-pt ability there, too, so perhaps, as a ceiling, better than Ibaka.  And I think he could play with Sengun.

i love mark williams.  would love to find a way to get him on the rockets, but i think charlotte really likes him too and they (currently) pick twice before the rockets will.

a couple of more thoughts:

1 - i was listening to a podcast this morning that brought up an interesting point.  getting the #26 pick in this year's draft also brings making a move like trading #17 for a top 10 protected pick in next year's draft into play.  i realize the primary focus since the wood trade was announced is moving up in this year's draft, but if the guys the rockets really like at 17 are all gone, it would make some sense just to punt on the pick until next year knowing that you still have a second pick this year at #26.

2 - i still really think the rockets should target mo bamba in free agency this summer (provided they don't find a way to trade up to draft mark williams).  bamba and sengun as your center rotation is really fucking solid.  mo is still only 24 years old.  i'd give him the whole mid-level exception if that could get him.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't like the idea of trading up for a center. If Williams or Duren falls to #17, then fine I guess, although I'd rather take a wing (maybe Eason is gone by then, and you're picking between big two-guard types though). I'm more interested in taking a flyer on Kamagate at #26

Center just isn't that valuable anymore, unless you're Embiid or Jokic on offense, or extremely switchable like Mobley or Robert Williams on defense but playable on the dunker's spot on offense 

You eventually need a center, but Houston has plenty of time to find that, and could very well find it at the very top of the 2023 draft 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Fud said:

I don't like the idea of trading up for a center. If Williams or Duren falls to #17, then fine I guess, although I'd rather take a wing (maybe Eason is gone by then, and you're picking between big two-guard types though). I'm more interested in taking a flyer on Kamagate at #26

Center just isn't that valuable anymore, unless you're Embiid or Jokic on offense, or extremely switchable like Mobley or Robert Williams on defense but playable on the dunker's spot on offense 

You eventually need a center, but Houston has plenty of time to find that, and could very well find it at the very top of the 2023 draft 

Fair.  I think Mark Williams will be better than Robert Williams with better measurables, although that may be an apt comparison.  And that's a top 20 pick, perhaps not a lottery pick,  I'd put Mobley on another tier than Robert Williams, though.  That dude will be special.  

here is john hollinger's write up on banchero.  has him as the #2 prospect in the draft:

2. Paolo Banchero | 6-10 freshman | PF | Duke

Prospect-wise, Banchero isn’t perfect. He’s not an elite athlete or a great defender, his arms are a bit short for a big, and his shooting stroke could stand to be more consistent (33.8 percent from 3 and 72.9 percent from the line). He’s a bit on the older side for a one-and-done, and his rates of steals and blocks are pretty sad for a lottery prospect.

OK, now that I’m done whining … Banchero is also an attacking, off-the-dribble shot creator at 6-10, and he’s not some shot-hunting pig either. He averaged an eye-opening 6.3 assists per 100 possessions last season, often acting as a de facto point guard for a Duke team that didn’t have a true lead guard. It’s pretty easy to envision a world in which he’s his team’s best or second-best offensive option, particularly if his line-drive outside shot gets a little more air under it and a bit more consistency.

Defensively, Banchero’s lack of length gives him issues contesting shots and protecting the rim, which might limit his utility as a small-ball five. Otherwise, I thought his tape was pretty good. His clips in isolation defense show a guy who is comfortable sliding his feet out on the perimeter, and he didn’t default to giving yards of space and allowing easy pull-up 3s the way some bigs do. In his best moments, he could play close enough to remove any pull-ups at all, like this:

Banchero seems to change direction pretty well, but in straight-line speed challenges he is vulnerable; little fast guys give him problems, but he can defend anyone two through four on the perimeter pretty capably.

Overall, he’s a fairly safe bet as a high-production four, one with plus offense and who can get to the point of being solid defensively.

1 minute ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Fair.  I think Mark Williams will be better than Robert Williams with better measurables, although that may be an apt comparison.  And that's a top 20 pick, perhaps not a lottery pick,  I'd put Mobley on another tier than Robert Williams, though.  That dude will be special.  

Mark Williams is a better rim protector (his standing reach is elite, and he reads the game well), but I don't think he can switch around like Robert Williams has shown 

Maybe the pendulum eventually swings back if dominant offensive centers start to win championships and you need big traditional defensive centers to be able to best guard them, but recent years have shown us that the rim protector types are "82 game guys" who struggle to finish games in the playoffs because they end up guarding elite perimeter players in crunch time and struggle to hold up, while the smaller but quicker and switchier guys end up being much more useful in the playoffs, especially past the first round 

42 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

If the Rockets think Smith is the guy, would Orland take 3 first round picks for the move up?

Depends on what they think of the difference between Smith and Banchero. They may have Smith in tier 1 too, Banchero and Holmgren in tier 2, but that gap may be wider than #17 and #26 combined. This isn't like the NFL, this draft is likely 3 deep. Honestly, the Rockets should stay at 3 and not have to worry about the bust label.

Edited by HtownHorn