2022 Houston Rockets Offseason Thread - Lottery, Lottery, Lottery

BigOrange1

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Keep wishing unlikely shit into existence Fud! We need you in the Astros draft thread. 

He's good enough to finish games in the playoffs for most of the teams in the league, he's not a bad locker room guy, and he's not terribly expensive

It just makes sense. I think the reason he hasn't been traded yet is Houston wants something better than a late 20s pick, and that's reportedly the offer they've gotten so far

1 minute ago, Fud said:

He's good enough to finish games in the playoffs for most of the teams in the league, he's not a bad locker room guy, and he's not terribly expensive

It just makes sense. I think the reason he hasn't been traded yet is Houston wants something better than a late 20s pick, and that's reportedly the offer they've gotten so far

Another dumb question, do they need Gordon to stay at/above the minimum salary threshold? 

12 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Another dumb question, do they need Gordon to stay at/above the minimum salary threshold? 

Not this year. They got Wall's $45M holding that down. Next year, they will have to spend in FA to meet the threshold. 

In 2023 they will have 10 guys either under contract or will have their option exercised by the team. Those 10 guys will likely count at $36.74M, they also currently have 2-1st round draft picks, so that could be another $10M and change.

Edited by HtownHorn

On 5/22/2022 at 3:35 PM, Slacks said:

Take Ivey at 3 and Williams at 17.  Word.

Pretty close to what Detroit pulled off... Ivey  +  Duren 13.

I should apply to be a GM.

Of course, when Smith hit 3, I would have thrown my cards in the air and closed the draft room.

Vecenie/Hollinger on Houston's picks

Spoiler

3. Houston Rockets

Jabari Smith Jr. | 6-foot-10, forward | 19 years old, freshman | Auburn

Vecenie’s ranking: 

Where you rank Smith compared to the other two consensus top prospects (Holmgren, Banchero) is a cipher for how you see basketball in the modern era. I don’t see Smith as the primary ballhandler on a team, but I do see him as an efficient, effective, 20-plus point-per-game scorer who also plays great, switchable and versatile defense. Elite shooting and strong defense are two of the best assets for a teenage NBA player. They set him up to be a no-fail prospect in many respects. I do think he possesses some real upside as a shot creator, depending on how much explosiveness, athleticism and strength he can add. Because he’s a positive player on both ends, he’s the type of prospect that can impact winning at an exceptionally high level, either as a No. 1 or No. 2 option. Every team is looking for big, switchable defenders with shooting ability and potential to create shots.

Hollinger’s team fit: The Rockets get my top-rated player with the third pick, and a great fit for their current roster as well. Smith projects as a knockdown shooter who can space the floor around Jalen Green’s drives, and a big, switchable defender who can cover for some of the team’s other shortcoming at that end. Picture native Houstonian Rashard Lewis, but with more defensive chops. Houston still has picks 17 and 26 in the first round, so expect to hear more from these guys.

17. Houston Rockets (from Brooklyn Nets)

Tari Eason | 6-foot-8, forward | 21 years old, sophomore | LSU

Vecenie’s ranking: 

Eason is one of the more confounding players in this draft class. His frame and mix of athleticism and power gives him an exceptionally high upside in the right situation. But he has some significant skill flaws that will hinder him from reaching it until they improve. His jumper is not consistent enough and doesn’t have much of a chance in pull-up situations in its current iteration. He needs to slow down and make better passing reads consistently. But defensively, the ceiling is enormous, and offensively, he’s a terrific driver who has enough touch to possibly project toward being a good shooter down the road

Hollinger’s team fit: Eason was always a likely candidate for Houston at 17 given how well his style fits the Rockets up-tempo and occasionally wild play. Eason’s size and defensive ability also fit well on a Houston team that needs more quality individual defenders, although the addition of Jabari Smith Jr. with the No. 3 pick may limit Eason’s ability to play smallball 4.

29. Memphis Grizzlies (reportedly traded to Rockets via Timberwolves)

TyTy Washington | 6-foot-3, guard | 20 years old, freshman | Kentucky

Vecenie’s ranking: 

Washington is a tough philosophical bet. Some evaluators believe in him, and others don’t. He’s going to be a polarizing prospect. I’m on the higher side because I tend to strongly believe in guards who can dribble, pass, shoot and make decisions at a high level. I think Washington stands out as a terrific secondary guard to have on a team. He shouldn’t be your primary creator, but if you have a player who can break down opponents and get Washington the ball while the defense is in rotation, that will be his best situation. Play him at point guard next to a terrific bigger offensive initiator, and he might be successful. Also, there’s now a history of Kentucky perimeter players outperforming their previous play at the school, such as Tyrese Maxey, Tyler Herro, Devin Booker and Keldon Johnson. I’ll buy Washington becoming more valuable than where he’s drafted.

Hollinger’s team fit: I had Washington in the teens on my board and really like his fit on a Houston team that has plentiful athleticism, but lacks a floor general to pull it all together. For a stretch in January, Washington was the best non-center in the SEC. One wonders if draft world overreacted to his struggles after a mid-season ankle injury.

One more year of sucking then hopefully its off to the races.

I also hope the Knicks abject stupidity/insanity was them clearing enough room for Kyrie to sign outright so the Nets get nothing in a trade.

That should leave Durant bereft additional talent that he demands out by the deadline.

3 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I started looking up this French kid with my brother in law who is a 6a uil boys basketball coach. What’s the skinny on this kid? NBA draft.net has some scooter kid as the #1 pick but everyone is flipping out about this French kid so was curious. 

He's viewed as an being a prospect on the KD/AD level. 7'3 with long arms

1 hour ago, Pimphand said:

One more year of sucking then hopefully its off to the races.

I also hope the Knicks abject stupidity/insanity was them clearing enough room for Kyrie to sign outright so the Nets get nothing in a trade.

That should leave Durant bereft additional talent that he demands out by the deadline.

The Rockets best case scenario is Brooklyn imploding. Kyrie leaving for nothing would be incredible to see, because they cannot replace him due to cap constraints.  If the best they can do is sending him to LAL for Westbrook and a pick, that would be a great deal for the Rockets. I know KD will never want to play with Westbrook after the way all the OKC drama ended, so you know one of them will be on the first plane out of there.  

12 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

PG - Porter, Washington, Nix

SG - Green, Christopher

3G - Gordon, Mathews

SF - Martin, Eason, Tate

PF - Smith, Garuba

C - Sengun

How do you leave BOBAN off the roster list???  Obviously he will be the backup Center all year, and he will help these youngins learn the ropes. 

I expect Gordon to be traded at some point.  

11 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

The Rockets best case scenario is Brooklyn imploding. Kyrie leaving for nothing would be incredible to see, because they cannot replace him due to cap constraints.  If the best they can do is sending him to LAL for Westbrook and a pick, that would be a great deal for the Rockets. I know KD will never want to play with Westbrook after the way all the OKC drama ended, so you know one of them will be on the first plane out of there.  

I didn't realize Kyrie has a player option.  I guess that makes the sign and trade stuff more likely.

This is going to take a 3rd party to come to the table and I just can't see there being tremendous demand for the competitive teams who wonder if they can count on him.  I'm not even talking about his anti-vaxx stance I'm talking about how prior to Covid he just decided to flake the fuck out and miss random games.

If I were Kyrie I'd re-up with the Nets and then prove I could play a whole season without drama then work on signing a contract in 2023 but alas I still believe the Earth is round and I'm not good at basketball.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I've been thinking this for 2 seasons and it never happens. 

Gordon doesn't fit the timeline at all for this team so anything in return is worth it. 

It also frees up PT for the guys you need to make decisions on in 2 years.

It’s stated too often now but hope Hakeem works with Smith. He would be one of the first bigs the Rockets have had that has the coordination, footwork and touch to actually take some meaningful parts of Dreams game he could incorporate. 

when watching Smith’s highlights, his smooth elevation midrange game looks to have the potential to do some of the same things

6 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I assume the plan is to try again to deal Gordon at the deadline. The Rockets seem resolute in getting a pick in the teens. 

Maybe they can get an unprotected from Phili like 7 years down the road or something 

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm not going to say anything groundbreaking here. Jabari pairs a lot better with Sengun than Banchero. Nice fit. I don't think Sengun will get there as a two way player. Average at best on defense while being undersized is his ceiling. Having 2 defensive liabilities in your front court probably leads to similar 2021-2022 defensive numbers for the most of Banchero's rookie contract. 

• Like 1

i still really want them to sign mo bamba and split the center minutes between he and sengun.  bamba can defend and shoot 3's.  i think he and smith would pair very well together.

ideal rotation next season:

pg - kpj, tyty washington, nix

sg - green, christopher

sf - eason/tate, gary bird

pf - jabari, kj martin, garuba

c - sengun/bamba, boban

another low key offseason move i hope they make is to trade david nwaba for like a second round pick or something.  that would clear another $5 million from this year's cap sheet.

• Hook 'Em 2

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34156938/sources-los-angeles-lakers-only-team-known-seeking-brooklyn-nets-guard-kyrie-irving-sign-trade-deal

bwahahahahaha I figured only the desperate ass Fake Show would be willing to sign & trade only they have the worst possible shit in return.

Kyrie has proven repeatedly that he really DGAF so I expect him to not sign with Brooklyn and go pick where he wants to land which should hopefully in turn piss Durant off.

35 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

With the value of the Nets’ picks skyrocketing by the minute, and the Rockets probable high pick next year, the ammo to get Victor Wembanyama is getting better and better. Can pick swaps be traded?

Sure, but I wouldn't trade them in this case

44 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Minus KD and Kyrie, would the Nets be the worst team in the NBA? 

Well at least they have Ben Simmons as their anchor, assuming his video game playing depression is resolved. 

If we end up pick swapping in ‘23, it’s because the Nets are really bad (lost both KD and Kyrie) or the Rockets did better than expected, or both. In ‘24 we will lose our pick to OKC, so here’s to hoping the 2023-2024 Nets blow ass and we get a top 5 pick that year too. 

3 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

With the value of the Nets’ picks skyrocketing by the minute, and the Rockets probable high pick next year, the ammo to get Victor Wembanyama is getting better and better. Can pick swaps be traded?

Of course, because you don't actually trade the pick. The trades are processed after the draft. That's why you always see the players put on the hat of the drafting team. The NBA and their calendar are fucked up. Trades aren't processed until the new season begins, which is after the draft.

4 hours ago, Pimphand said:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34156938/sources-los-angeles-lakers-only-team-known-seeking-brooklyn-nets-guard-kyrie-irving-sign-trade-deal

bwahahahahaha I figured only the desperate ass Fake Show would be willing to sign & trade only they have the worst possible shit in return.

Kyrie has proven repeatedly that he really DGAF so I expect him to not sign with Brooklyn and go pick where he wants to land which should hopefully in turn piss Durant off.

the word is kyrie will opt out, and sign an MLE with LAL, allowing LAL to max him in 2023... so expect him to ball in 22-23... or bail.

8 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

It's the offseason, so enjoy boys. 

Really excited to see how Jabari opens things up even more for Sengun. I love how Sengun fearlessly rolls to the basket.

What stands out to me is how his left hand is a fucking killer... defenders have no idea from where the ball will be shot.  You can see he's been working with Dream, but Dream never had the left hand Sengun has. Dream almost always finished with his right hand...  and Sengun is 19 years old (Turkish 19, so maybe 24). He's going to get Smith so many open looks and easy rebounds.

8 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Let’s trade for KD

I am not sure what the cost would be, but we have draft picks galore. I'd give up Wall for matching and all our future draft capital. They have to know once Durant asks out they are done. I looked at the 2023 FA class, underwhelming is a good word.

Edited by HtownHorn