2022 Houston Rockets Offseason Thread - Lottery, Lottery, Lottery

BigOrange1

8 minutes ago, Horns RD Standard said:

So Tari Eason could be a draft day steal. One of those junkyard dog types, thats athletic and can be productive without a play run for him. What u all think about this comparison - bigger/athletic James Posey?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The physical comp I've seen is Kawhi. Obviously, he has a very long way to go to get there though 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Horns RD Standard said:

So Tari Eason could be a draft day steal. One of those junkyard dog types, thats athletic and can be productive without a play run for him. What u all think about this comparison - bigger/athletic James Posey?

Posey was the same height & weight as Eason literally they couldn't be closer in that arena if they tried.  The thing Eason seems to be bringing to the table is the energy and love and it seems to be infectious with his fellow rooks.  Hopefully he can keep it up if he does his ceiling will likely be a good bit higher than Posey's was which could push him into draft day steal range.

2 hours ago, Fud said:

The physical comp I've seen is Kawhi. Obviously, he has a very long way to go to get there though 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

Posey was the same height & weight as Eason literally they couldn't be closer in that arena if they tried.

Now do wingspan and handsize 

Eason and Leonard are very similar in those measurements 

4 hours ago, Horns RD Standard said:

If Eason’s a cross between Posey and Kawhi, I think we’d all be pretty pleased…wouldn’t ya say?

It's still way too early to project anything from 3 summer league games but I still think the closest analog is Shawn Marion all the way down to to the mechanics.

If I were a betting man I'd say Eason lands somewhere between Posey and Marion but closer to Marion and yes if he has that level of output the Rockets did extremely well.

Last Summer League game tonight I will be tuning in to see if the rooks make even more strides.

• Hook 'Em 1

Houston should finish with one of the worst records in the league. Maybe Utah will be worse after they trade Donovan, and maybe Detroit will be worse now that they've traded Grant, but Houston should probably worst case scenario have a 10.5% chance at the #1 pick, but I think most likely will have a 14% chance

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Fud said:

Houston should finish with one of the worst records in the league. Maybe Utah will be worse after they trade Donovan, and maybe Detroit will be worse now that they've traded Grant, but Houston should probably worst case scenario have a 10.5% chance at the #1 pick, but I think most likely will have a 14% chance

Assuming Utah moves Donavan they will definitely be in on the tankstakes.... I'm pretty sure Detroit will be decent this season

1 hour ago, Pimphand said:

Assuming Utah moves Donavan they will definitely be in on the tankstakes.... I'm pretty sure Detroit will be decent this season

I see six teams with a shot at a bottom three record, mostly depending on how early and to what degree they tank. I think some of the other teams will be trying for the play-in, like Sacramento, Indy, New York, and Portland 

Houston

Utah

OKC

Detroit

San Antonio

Orlando

Edited by Fud

Credit to Fud and others for being so high on Eason. Looks like one of the the most athletic players in a pretty good draft. 

If TyTy becomes a starting NBA PG, terrific, terrific value at 29. 

I like what I've seen from Jabari. He's played up exactly to his scouting report. The handles have surprised me. I have hope he can create his own shot and play some 3. 

I guess moving Gordon is the next piece on the chess board? 

At this point, the Rockets should defer to Gordon.  He's done nothing but what has been asked him and has by all accounts been a great teammate.  Let him choose, if there is a contender out there that he wants to play for, swap him for a L pizza if someone doesn't blow you away with an offer.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Fud said:

Some Jabari from last night. Showed more ball handling to help get to the rim, more near/at rim finishing, and more play-making, three concerns about his game coming into the draft

i'm liking what i'm seeing from jabari, but i sure wish he'd have at least one game in summer league where he was hitting the 3 ball like he did in college.  his shot has looked flat all summer.

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

If TyTy becomes a starting NBA PG, terrific, terrific value at 29. 

if TyTy becomes a good backup NBA PG its terrific value at 29.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

At this point, the Rockets should defer to Gordon.  He's done nothing but what has been asked him and has by all accounts been a great teammate.  Let him choose, if there is a contender out there that he wants to play for, swap him for a L pizza if someone doesn't blow you away with an offer.

Or houston could just do what’s best for the team 

11 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Eric Gordon may be a good guy and everything, but the threshold for “gets to depart on his own terms” is way, way higher than what he gave the Rockets.  

The Rockets obligation has been more than met, $88M and counting.

13 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Agreed. That championship Gordon won in Houston was a magical year. Wait, what?

On 7/15/2022 at 10:45 AM, Fud said:

I see six teams with a shot at a bottom three record, mostly depending on how early and to what degree they tank. I think some of the other teams will be trying for the play-in, like Sacramento, Indy, New York, and Portland 

Houston

Utah

OKC

Detroit

San Antonio

Orlando

OKC might be getting to the point where they have too much talent to be in the bottom of the draft. I like Chet more than anyone though, so they could be coloring my analysis. 
UTah is going to be awful. San Antonio should be absolute trash. Detroit is going to be decent (30 ish wins). Orlando should win 25 or so. I see us as a bottom 3 record I think with something like 24 wins. Is it bottom 5 and not bottom 3?  Maybe. 
There just aren’t very many bad bad teams out there besides Utah (if they trade Mitchell) and San Antonio.  

Utah is in a tough spot. No NBA player really wants to be there. They have to build through the draft/develop their talent or they’ll never be good. 

I almost feel sorry for them, and I remember how shitty their fans are/how much I hated them in the 90’s.

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Utah is in a tough spot. No NBA player really wants to be there. They have to build through the draft/develop their talent or they’ll never be good. 

I almost feel sorry for them, and I remember how shitty their fans are/how much I hated them in the 90’s.

Fuck the Jizz now and forever.

NBA Teams to perpetually kick in the junk

1. Lakers
  2. Celtics
  3. Jazz
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Pimphand said:

Fuck the Jizz now and forever.

NBA Teams to perpetually kick in the junk

1. Lakers
  2. Celtics
  3. Jazz

I would switch out the Celtics for the Mavs. The 2005 playoffs changed me forever. The Celtics hate derives from the run of the mill Boston fans, not so much the team. If that is the criteria, might as well hate the Knicks, too.

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Jabari has shown more rim protection than I expected at this stage 

He and Eason have all defense upside. And Wemba to that mix, and you’re looking at a potentially elite defense 

The Rockets don't need Jabari's shot...right now. It felt like he was trying really hard to do everything in summer league. As a rookie, he's already miles ahead of where he should be as a defender. And it's not like he's a bad finisher around the rim. If he continues to focus on his defense and let his long range looks come to him in the flow of the offense, he'll get better over his rookie year.

I still like Jabari on this Rockets squad over Paolo Banchero. If the Rockets don't make any dumb moves, Sengun and Jabari will be a fun duo to watch for years to come.

Could somebody tell me the temperature on the Wemba hype? 

I think you’d have to go back to 2019 when Zion was drafted. 

I think the play in tourney will keep some teams from tanking, but I could see some older teams in the gray area tearing it down at the trade deadline and tanking to get in the lottery. 

2 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

I would switch out the Celtics for the Mavs. The 2005 playoffs changed me forever. The Celtics hate derives from the run of the mill Boston fans, not so much the team. If that is the criteria, might as well hate the Knicks, too.

Phallas fan and Boston fan are essentially interchangeable douchebags who should get their ass kicked the only difference is Boston fan actually has reasons to crow.

Cowboys 5 - Patriots 6
Rangers 0 - Red Sox 4
Mavericks 1 - Celtics 4
Stars 1 - Bruins 1

Note: I'm only counting championships for Boston since Phallas has had a team (1972 Rangers, 1980 Mavs, 1993 Stars)

Also you must be too young to remember the 1981 and 1986 NBA Finals.

I think the play in tourney will keep some teams from tanking, but I could see some older teams in the gray area tearing it down at the trade deadline and tanking to get in the lottery. 

Wemba most hyped dude since AD I think. 

22 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Agreed. I had AD typed out, but then I remembered the crazy Zion hype when he was kicking ass at Duke. 

That happened by far later in the year. I don’t think anyone had him going #1 until Xmas time or so. 
he did get a ton of hype. AD got more though and this feels, a year out, like Wemby going to get a ton of ink over the next year. 

shit, this far out from the draft he's probably the most hyped guy since lebron.  there was a lot of luka hype too, but i think his being a guard rather than a big muted some of his hype (and probably played a part in him falling to #3).

next year's draft is supposedly loaded though.  so it's not just wemby.  i don't see any way the rockets aren't one of the 5-6 worst teams in the league, so they should hopefully be adding one more blue chip prospect to the core.

On 7/15/2022 at 8:36 AM, Pimphand said:

Another brutal shooting night but the good news is I think we are still in on the Wembanyama sweepstakes.

This team could be pretty strong by 2024-25

The upside defensively is there for Jabari but he has a long ways to go offensively. I hadn't realized how unskilled he was offensively until the summer league. The good news is this actually fits our timeline better but I have my worries about Jabari offensively. 

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

He has serious injury concerns. He has never played a full season due to them.

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Positive day for the Brooklyn picks. KD says  in a meeting with the owner that the only way he’ll stay is if Nash and the GM are fired. Owner says they have his full support. 

Nash and GM may ask to be fired after KD is traded and they have no foreseeable draft future.