2022 Houston Rockets Offseason Thread - Lottery, Lottery, Lottery

BigOrange1

19 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

it means the rockets won't do something dumb like sign wood to an extension which makes it a win.  maybe they look to package 17 and 26 to move up a little?

package with Gordon or Wall and let's go.

17 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I don’t have any confidence in management. Damn I miss Morey. 

Congrats on collecting...

And while I liked Morey as a person (I did get to hang out with him a bit one evening) a lot of his 'success' came from having top players on the roster via draft, then trading for others...

HOWEVER, the current Houston team is in the spot they are in because Morey kicked the can down the road to this point. I am willing to give the current management team a chance.  So far, they've done the right things to make the team better and undo some of the Morey debt... And even the John Wall trade came from this team, it was a trade to dump Westbrook and have Wall play with Harden... until Harden left.

Just now, Slacks said:

Congrats on collecting...

And while I liked Morey as a person (I did get to hang out with him a bit one evening) a lot of his 'success' came from having top players on the roster via draft, then trading for others...

HOWEVER, the current Houston team is in the spot they are in because Morey kicked the can down the road to this point. I am willing to give the current management team a chance.  So far, they've done the right things to make the team better and undo some of the Morey debt... And even the John Wall trade came from this team, it was a trade to dump Westbrook and have Wall play with Harden... until Harden left.

Morey wasn't the driving factor behind Westbrook, that was all Tilman.  That's who I really mean by management.  Morey had his hands tied by ownership- first he couldn't tank, then they wouldn't go into the tax- then ferntits and his general idiocy.  If he would have been allowed a proper tank I'm convinced he would have won a title.  Just like Luhnow.  What he did in creating a team that went 7 games with the GOAT KD warriors teams by trading up from a thumbtack to a Ferrari is the stuff of legends. Not his fault that team didn't get over the line. It was good enough to win a title most years.  They just ran into that awesome dubs team (and injuries) and that did them in.  No shame in that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Morey wasn't the driving factor behind Westbrook, that was all Tilman.  That's who I really mean by management.  Morey had his hands tied by ownership- first he couldn't tank, then they wouldn't go into the tax- then ferntits and his general idiocy.  If he would have been allowed a proper tank I'm convinced he would have won a title.  Just like Luhnow.  What he did in creating a team that went 7 games with the GOAT KD warriors teams by trading up from a thumbtack to a Ferrari is the stuff of legends. Not his fault that team didn't get over the line. It was good enough to win a title most years.  They just ran into that awesome dubs team (and injuries) and that did them in.  No shame in that. 

Gotcha... in that case... I hope 'ownership' gets out of the way of 'management'.

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

The fuck. Morey, Tillman, anyone in the Rockets org didn't do shit without Harden signing off on it. Now you could make a solid point that you shouldn't let players dictate personnel decisions, because for the most part they are fucking morons. But we have to take every post in this thread you make with a gigantic grain of salt because you hate Tillman.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

The fuck. Morey, Tillman, anyone in the Rockets org didn't do shit without Harden signing off on it. Now you could make a solid point that you shouldn't let players dictate personnel decisions, because for the most part they are fucking morons. But we have to take every post in this thread you make with a gigantic grain of salt because you hate Tillman.

Tilman deserves to be hated b/c he sucks.  Period.  Full stop.  But that doesn't change the fact that anyone blaming Morey for the Westbrook trade is crazier than a shit house rat.  

Tilman was documented in many many places as bitching and whining and calling CP3 the worst contract in the league. He absolutely wanted out of that deal badly.  Was Harden a willing accomplice?  Sure. Did any of that have jack or shit to do with Morey?  No way.  And then, having to eat the shit sandwhich that was westbrick Morey boldly traded Capella and brought in a munchkin starting 5 that was the last time westbrick would ever play like an all star.  It wasn't enough, but it was the best play he could make. Morey always makes the best play he can make. He's awesome.  

1 hour ago, Ignatius said:

Im not as familiar with draft pick value charts in the NBA as I am in the NFL; I’m a draft like this with no clear top dog, how high a pick would 17 + 26 allegedly bring?

I’m guessing maybe 13 or 14, but it really depends on the team 

2 hours ago, Fud said:

I’m guessing maybe 13 or 14, but it really depends on the team 

I think you are probably right, which is funny just how little value there is in late first round picks. There’s a good argument to be made- with financial guarantees, that you’d rather pick 33rd than 28th possibly. 
I’d probably see if I could throw in Next years Milwaukee pick and get up to 10 or 11, but no idea how much that moves the needle for anyone picking in that spot (like the knicks maybe?)

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

What could the dumb ass Kings offer to trade up to 3?

One spot? Mitchell?? Though why would they want Banchero when they already have Sabonis. It would only make sense if Holmgren fell to 3 and the Rockets don't think Chet ever maximizes his skill set.

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I assume the Rockets will attempt to hold on Kenyon Martin Jr? He's under team control for another 2 years and is dirt cheap. 

Kinda gives the Rockets draft away. Banchero and wings, though I wouldn't mind Kessler at 26 should we hold that pick. I think I would really like Banchero, TyTy, and Kessler. A wing, a PG, and a C. Add that to the haul from last year.

PG - Porter, Washington

SG - Green, Christopher

SF - Martin, Matthews

PF - Banchero, Garuba

C - Sengun, Kessler

Now Tate and Porter are asking for contract extensions. I wouldn't give either an extension until after the 22-23 season. I would trade Tate if I could get a 2nd for him. He might make sense for a contender, but his offensive is below average and his defense is average.

Edited by HtownHorn

4 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Kinda gives the Rockets draft away. Banchero and wings, though I wouldn't mind Kessler at 26 should we hold that pick. I think I would really like Banchero, TyTy, and Kessler. A wing, a PG, and a C. Add that to the haul from last year.

PG - Porter, Washington

SG - Green, Christopher

SF - Martin, Matthews

PF - Banchero, Garuba

C - Sengun, Kessler

I really like Kessler as a role player, and 26 would be a good spot for him….

Vecenie's updated mock

3. Houston Rockets

Paolo Banchero | 6-10 forward | 19 years old | Duke

The Rockets get someone that figures to be very high on their board as well with Banchero. Following the Christian Wood trade, it seems clear the Rockets are emptying out their frontcourt for whichever of the top-three frontcourt players falls. His ability to play in a two-man game with last year’s No. 2 overall pick Jalen Green figures to be one of the most exciting combinations in the league in a few years, as Banchero is a monster at punishing smaller players in mismatches and Green is terrific at punishing slower players, meaning you can’t switch actions between the two of them. You also probably can’t effectively drop given how good those two figure to be as shooters. This would be a home run for Houston.

17. Houston Rockets (via BKN)

Tari Eason | 6-8 forward | 21 years old | LSU

It’s tough to get a handle on where Eason will slot in on draft night. Teams are all over the map on him. Some really have some worries about his decision-making and his right-hand dominance while also being concerned about his shooting mechanics. Others look at how much of a playmaker he is on defense and believe he is tailor-made as a playmaker on that end who is switchable two through five and can create transition opportunities with his disruptiveness. I have a lottery grade on Eason, so I’m more in the boat of the latter. This would be a tremendous pickup for Houston.

26. Houston Rockets (via DAL)

MarJon Beauchamp | 6-6 wing | 21 years old | G League Ignite

Beauchamp has an awesome story of perseverance, essentially carving out his own path after choosing not to go to college. He worked his way into getting an Ignite contract this year and impressed scouts with his willingness to do all of the little things. He defends well on the ball with real switchability because of his 6-foot-11 wingspan. He is aggressive in crashing the glass. He cuts and makes things happen. There is a thought that the Rockets want to add some wing depth at some point in the class, and Beauchamp is a good way to do that.

Givony has the same picks for Houston in today's mock

3. Houston Rockets

Paolo Banchero
Duke
PF/C

The Rockets got a close look at Banchero in a private workout at his home base in Memphis before bringing him to Houston for another visit. Hours later, the team elected to trade its starting power forward, Christian Wood, for a late first-round pick, signaling its increasing comfort with Banchero as the pick here. Banchero is a 6-10, polished and aggressive scorer who can carry a significant load with his versatility to handle, pass and shoot. His ability to create off the dribble both for himself and teammates should pair well with the explosive transition scoring and shot-making prowess Jalen Green offers. Banchero should compete for Rookie of the Year honors and has considerable upside to grow into as the Rockets surround him and Green with the requisite defensive pieces and floor spacers to return to playoff contention.

17. Houston Rockets

Tari Eason
LSU
PF

The Rockets are early in their rebuilding and will likely be looking to take swings on talent and upside, as they don't appear to be particularly close to contention. Eason is one of the most explosive and productive players in the draft, putting consistent pressure on opposing defenses with his quick first step, physicality and insatiable intensity -- characteristics that allow him to live at the free throw line. These same traits helped make him one of the most versatile defenders in the college game, a magnet for steals, blocks and rebounds who flew all over the floor in LSU's suffocating press while rotating from guarding point guards to big men.

26. Houston Rockets

MarJon Beauchamp
G League Ignite
SG/SF

The Rockets acquired this pick from the Mavericks in exchange for Christian Wood and financial flexibility. Beauchamp is the type of rim-running, elite-cutting, hard-playing wing who doesn't need plays called for him and can find his own offense alongside players such as Jalen Green and Paolo Banchero just by virtue of his energy. Beauchamp could emerge as a starting-quality player if his jumper and ball-handling continue to improve, and his defensive versatility as a long-armed wing who can check point guards through power forwards will be useful in the meantime, along with his ability to score off his hustle and instincts.

3 hours ago, Fud said:

Apparently he said this on ESPN

Sixers makes a lot of sense with Harden and Morey. The problem with the Sixers is salary matching, obviously Danny Green would be coming back, and that would be 10 of the 18M. I doubt they would give up Maxey in the deal, though I would include Milwaukee's #1 next year to get that deal done.

The Suns have Crowder and Saric to match the salaries. Though the Rockets could ideally find takers for those 2 guys.

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Unprotected in 2030 or something beyond the timeline of any current GM. 

I think there’s a five year limit 

But yeah, GMs on the hot seat will sometimes take the bait, or sometimes overly confident franchises (no way we’re in the lotto in three years, and our star player who’s more powerful than me is demanding to add a player) do 

11 minutes ago, Fud said:

I think there’s a five year limit 

But yeah, GMs on the hot seat will sometimes take the bait, or sometimes overly confident franchises (no way we’re in the lotto in three years, and our star player who’s more powerful than me is demanding to add a player) do 

I thought it was 8, might be 6 or 7. It’s more than 5 though I’m almost positive. 

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Good news - Reddish is coming off of career highs in FG%, 3P%, and FT%. He hit over 90% on FT. Yes please.

Bad news - Reddish is also coming off a season ending shoulder injury. I think that is the injury that torpedoed Mbah a Moute's season. I think had he been healthy for the playoffs the Rockets would have won the title that season. That finishing 5 of Paul, Harden, Ariza, Tucker, and Mbah a Moute just destroyed lineups, they were like +100 or something crazy.

• Rage+1 1