Inheritance Tax (or any other kind)

How did you "get the house in your name?"

Assuming everyone and the house is in Texas, then you shouldn't own anything in taxes.  The Texas and federal inheritance tax exemption in 2021 was $11.7 million.  The house should "step up" on your parent's death to the value on that day.  You (or the estate) would be responsible for IRS taxes on appreciation from their date of death until it is sold.  I would still want a CPA to handle all that.

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:

Assuming everyone and the house is in Texas, then you shouldn't own anything in taxes.  The Texas and federal inheritance tax exemption in 2021 was $11.7 million.  The house should "step up" on your parent's death to the value on that day.  You (or the estate) would be responsible for IRS taxes on appreciation from their date of death until it is sold.  I would still want a CPA to handle all that.

Yeah, you need to file a final tax return for the deceased and an estate tax return that will establish no liability as well as the "stepped up" basis for any inherited property.

7 hours ago, Dr Fear said:

Several years ago we filed a "Transfer Upon Death Deed".  Upon death I filed an "Affidavit of Death".  County now has it in my name.

So, I need a CPA instead of a lawyer?  Get one here in Austin near me, or in the county the house is?  I'm floundering here, never inherited or sold a house before. 

2 hours ago, Horn_Spanker said:

Several years ago we filed a "Transfer Upon Death Deed".  Upon death I filed an "Affidavit of Death".  County now has it in my name.

So, I need a CPA instead of a lawyer?  Get one here in Austin near me, or in the county the house is?  I'm floundering here, never inherited or sold a house before. 

As far as selling the house, those of us on the real estate thread on 6th board will be happy to hold your hand the entire way. 

Get one local who you can work with. No reason they need to be in the same county as house.