Should I exchange some $ before going to Mexico?

Headed to Cozumel for 5 days soon and wondering if I should exchange some dollars to pesos or can I just do everything there with dinero Americano? Are there any risks or advantages to exchanging some or not exchanging?

Yeah I know this sounds naive but I haven't been further than a couple of border towns in over 30 years.

You can use dollars, but you'll get a terrible exchange rate. Hopefully you have a bank debit card that refunds ATM fees and has no forex fees (like the Schwab Bank card). 

Go to an ATM in Cozumel, use your debit card, make sure you decline their conversion rate, get cash. Easiest and cheapest method.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

I once bought euros from my bank at the posted exchange rate for something like a $3 fee.  They came in a plain manila envelope that I had to pick up at the bank 2 days later. I'll bet pesos come the same way

On 5/4/2022 at 6:56 PM, Gil Bang said:

I researched buying Yen before going to Japan.  The consensus was, the best way was to get to Japan, and then walk into the first 7-11 you see and use the ATM. 

This is right almost everywhere.  I usually keep some Euros/GBP etc.. when I come home to pay for my first cab ride.  Of course, most take credit cards now, so it is so much easier.  

On 4/29/2022 at 6:15 PM, Longhornstampede said:

Headed to Cozumel for 5 days soon and wondering if I should exchange some dollars to pesos or can I just do everything there with dinero Americano? Are there any risks or advantages to exchanging some or not exchanging?

Yeah I know this sounds naive but I haven't been further than a couple of border towns in over 30 years.

Use the ATM once you land at the Airport.   Also think about getting an ATM card not linked to your main back account.   Charles Schwab has an account you can open and you get your ATM fees refunded.   You also get a better exchange rate. I’d stay away from non bank ATMs.

Of course many merchants will take your green backs. But they will bargain with you better with Pesos.  There are laws in Mexico which limit the amount of foreign currency deposits by merchants and individuals in their banks , so anytime they can take Pesos, they accommodate in order to make room for the stupid Gringo who insist on paying with Benjis 

On 4/29/2022 at 4:15 PM, Longhornstampede said:

BTW OP, there's a "food and travel" board, and this thread belongs there.  But anyway, you got your answer. 

On 5/4/2022 at 3:52 PM, beer said:

I once bought euros from my bank at the posted exchange rate for something like a $3 fee.  They came in a plain manila envelope that I had to pick up at the bank 2 days later. I'll bet pesos come the same way

BoA will send small amounts via regular mail. I had around $5,000MX mailed to me in April.