The Dallas Stars 2022 Playoffs Thread of Well Here We Go

Longhorn_Fan68

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, we found a goalie
Need new coach and new players other than Pavelski, Heiskanen, Hintz and Robertson.

I wonder if Robertson’s game translates to the playoffs after this series. He was invisible for long stretches.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, C-Man said:

He wasn’t a rookie this season. He played 29 games last season — and was our best goalie that year too.

Yeah I was thinking about that after I posted. In some sports you have to have a certain number of games to lose rookie status. Is there anything like that in hockey?

Not long before the goal, Robertson skated down the left side and chose not to shoot. I think he was on his backhand so not quite the same, but sometimes you just have to throw the puck at on goal when you have the chance and hope it finds a hole or creates a chance for someone else. 

then gaudreau knows he’s at a severe angle but shoots it anyway and it finds the one place to get by. 

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I wonder if Robertson’s game translates to the playoffs after this series. He was invisible for long stretches.

He was more visible than Benn and Seguin. We must move on from them. Build the team around Miro, Roope, Robertson and Otter. 

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Not long before the goal, Robertson skated down the left side and chose not to shoot. I think he was on his backhand so not quite the same, but sometimes you just have to throw the puck at on goal when you have the chance and hope it finds a hole or creates a chance for someone else. 

then gaudreau knows he’s at a severe angle but shoots it anyway and it finds the one place to get by. 

This is exactly what I've been yelling at my tv for most of the games this season. Look at how many goals get scored on us that way, but it seems like we're always looking for the perfect shot. News flash: most goals aren't scored on the perfect setup.

Just now, C-Man said:

He's a good player but that's about it. he just looks great because this team is so offensively challenged.  you can see we just ride Otter and hope for some counters.  we are slower than just about any team(that is any good) we play and we are poor at stick handling.

I'm amazed they took them to 7.  Until they find some speed they are likely stuck at this level.  

Yeah I was thinking about that after I posted. In some sports you have to have a certain number of games to lose rookie status. Is there anything like that in hockey?

I think it’s 25 games or some combo of games over two seasons. I’m 99.9% certain he was not classified as a rookie this season.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Another interesting thing is we played this game without Hintz and Glendinning, because they spent last game and most of the series trying to hurt our guys and it worked. Bullying and cheap fighting and hurting guys works in the playoffs I guess. None of their shits got suspended, they fought dirty and had dirty hits that took our top players out of the game without any penalties or suspensions.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

He's a good player but that's about it. he just looks great because this team is so offensively challenged.  you can see we just ride Otter and hope for some counters.  we are slower than just about any team(that is any good) we play and we are poor at stick handling.

I'm amazed they took them to 7.  Until they find some speed they are likely stuck at this level.  

Hintz and Glendinning pretty fast until they get taken out.

Get rid of Seguin and Benn and see if you can get 4 brutes that will just knock guys out of the series next playoffs and just do that.

He was more visible than Benn and Seguin. We must move on from them. Build the team around Miro, Roope, Robertson and Otter. 

Perhaps. But they’ve got skins on the wall. Seguin won the Cup (granted he was a 3rd line C and a rookie) and was a top five Center at one point. Somebody said they’re not sure he’s fully healthy still. If this is what he is moving forward forever, then try and move on. But he’s making like $12M. Benn still has high value — but not at that salary level.

I say let somebody else pay Klingberg and give his $6M-$7M to a difference-making blue liner. I think Klinger is a good dude but too many WTF moments.

1 minute ago, Zeus said:

Hintz and Glendinning pretty fast until they get taken out.

Get rid of Seguin and Benn and see if you can get 4 brutes that will just knock guys out of the series next playoffs and just do that.

true Hintz has some speed which we missed.  Seguin is a waste of a roster spot.  Benn is what he is.  the question is what do you do about him being captain.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Another interesting thing is we played this game without Hintz and Glendinning, because they spent last game and most of the series trying to hurt our guys and it worked. Bullying and cheap fighting and hurting guys works in the playoffs I guess. None of their shits got suspended, they fought dirty and had dirty hits that took our top players out of the game without any penalties or suspensions.

Yeah, not sure I agree with that. I don't think the series was overly dirty like some of our tussles with the Blues in the last few years. Part of the Zadorov thing was because he's 6-5 or 6-6. That absolutely played a part. I don't think he was trying to intentionally hurt Glendenning but his height caught him flush in the head. My argument was it was a head shot, intentional or not, and those almost always result in suspensions. You have to be aware of your surroundings. Glendenning is a role player, a third or fourth-line guy. I don't have a clue why Roope didn't play tonight but he has a history of getting hurt a little bit.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

true Hintz has some speed which we missed.  Seguin is a waste of a roster spot.  Benn is what he is.  the question is what do you do about him being captain.

11 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

you've either got to get more speed or better stick handling.  we are slow and bad stick handling.  basically the worst of all worlds for offense.

It's crazy because not more than a couple of years ago, the Stars were thought of as a team that would skate you to death. I'm really not sure what happened. I like Bowness. I really do but I wonder where we might be if Montgomery could've laid off Grandpa's cough syrup.

Hate for Canada? Seriously? 

You guys need to visit the Great White North sometime in your life to understand how important this win is for Calgary. Battle of Alberta will be fantastic for the league. 

What are the Stars? Like 4th on the popularity pecking order in the metroplex? What percentage of Dallas citizens even know or care who won this game tonight? 

Great game though, eh. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, Sweetnsourpoke said:

You guys need to visit the Great White North sometime in your life to understand how important this win is for Calgary. Battle of Alberta will be fantastic for the league. 

What are the Stars? Like 4th on the popularity pecking order in the metroplex? What percentage of Dallas citizens even know or care who won this game tonight? 

Great game though, eh. 

I love Montreal, esp the wimmenz, and I hear BC/Vancouver are great, but fuck the rest of Canada, esp Calgary.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Sweetnsourpoke said:

Great game though, eh. 

Who the fuck are you? 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, wood said:

I love Montreal, esp the wimmenz, and I hear BC/Vancouver are great, but fuck the rest of Canada, esp Calgary.

Vancouver is gorgeous. Never been to Quebec/Ontario but I would like to check out Montreal and Toronto. The Maple Leafs have been my Eastern Conference team since the late 90's -- the all-blue uniforms are maybe the best in North American sports. But Edmonton is a total shit-hole and Calgary is not a whole lot better.

30 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Who the fuck are you? 

Exactly.

20 minutes ago, Sweetnsourpoke said:

Don't take the loss so hard. Your Stars gave Calgary a heck of a series and shouldn't have even gone 7 but they played beyond their abilities this year. The better team won. None of these teams are going to beat Colorado anyway.

You talk a bunch of shit about the Dallas fanbase and get a mild response lofted at yourself then you come back and tell us to not take the loss so hard and that everything will be okay.

Again - who the fuck are you? Who is your team? 

I mean Jesus imagine being from Canada and trolling a fucking Texas Longhorns football board to do... what, exactly? Mess with the minute number of Stars fans here?

Idk who you are or what teams you're a fan of but good God you are fucking embarrassing yourself. Please keep posting so one of us can neg you off the site. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I get frustrated watching this team try to be too pretty/ clever/ perfect shot takers.

Last night encapsulated it perfectly.  It's the playoffs...and you have 28 fucking shots on goal? Outshot by opponent by more than double? Outhit 35-22?

Put a body on someone and dump the puck on goal.  Make shit happen.  Save the other style of hockey for November.

7 hours ago, C-Man said:

Perhaps. But they’ve got skins on the wall. Seguin won the Cup (granted he was a 3rd line C and a rookie) and was a top five Center at one point. Somebody said they’re not sure he’s fully healthy still. If this is what he is moving forward forever, then try and move on. But he’s making like $12M. Benn still has high value — but not at that salary level.

I say let somebody else pay Klingberg and give his $6M-$7M to a difference-making blue liner. I think Klinger is a good dude but too many WTF moments.

Their skins are an 89-point season and an 84-point season. That’s not impressive, and they’re not anywhere close to that good anymore. They’ve been below average for years. Nill was right about that. 

Played the goal in slow motion yesterday and the shooter got the puck between the ear and the shoulder because the goalie had his body and head against the post in preparation for a shot. That shot almost had zero chance but it just was to many shots on goal in the end.

Just now, DanTheHorn said:

Played the goal in slow motion yesterday and the shooter got the puck between the ear and the shoulder because the goalie had his body and head against the post in preparation for a shot. That shot almost had zero chance but it just was to many shots on goal in the end.

Yeah the only thing he could have done was be outside the post and straddling the goal line, but that would put him out of position for any pass that got to the slot or across the ice. 

3 hours ago, slorch said:

I get frustrated watching this team try to be too pretty/ clever/ perfect shot takers.

Last night encapsulated it perfectly.  It's the playoffs...and you have 28 fucking shots on goal? Outshot by opponent by more than double? Outhit 35-22?

Put a body on someone and dump the puck on goal.  Make shit happen.  Save the other style of hockey for November.

The Flames are a better team top to bottom. The only position where we were better was in net-- and that's debatable since Markstrom is a Vezina finalist (give me Jake, though) -- and it showed in the shot disparity in most of the games. We were also pretty short-handed with Roope not being able to go at the last minute. Then take away Glendenning and Faksa and we were even more out-manned. This team is frustrating at times and if not for the silly 3-on-3 OT in the regular season, the Stars aren't even in the playoffs, much less one shot away from the second round. We need a makeover for sure but it appears we have the net figured out for the next decade. Jake is other-worldly.

2 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

Their skins are an 89-point season and an 84-point season. That’s not impressive, and they’re not anywhere close to that good anymore. They’ve been below average for years. Nill was right about that. 

They were both top 10 players in the league at one point. Production from a power forward can just all of a sudden disappear, which it appears happened to Jamie. He's a glue/grit guy now. I'm happy to have him on the team but I'd prefer a much-friendlier salary. Same goes for Seguin. I've seen a few folks (probably here) wonder if he's still fighting his way back from the injury that effectively cost him all of last season.

2 hours ago, Sweetnsourpoke said:

What's the story on Dellandrea? Kid looks like he's got some hands and legit hockey sense. 

First-round pick in 2018. He seemed to have a little pep there late last night. I'm not sure what the hockey experts think he'll ultimately be but I expect him to be a top-9 forward in the very near future.

23 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

21 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Yeah the only thing he could have done was be outside the post and straddling the goal line, but that would put him out of position for any pass that got to the slot or across the ice. 

For those of you who don't have access to Bally's and Razor/Josh, Razor said last night -- and reiterated it again on The Musers this AM -- was that the puck was rolling and that was the only way Gaudreau was going to get that puck through that tiny gap in the upper left corner. It created a weird launch angle and odd trajectory that eluded Jake. There's something to be said about just putting pucks on the net when a fluke shot will decide a series. That's where the Stars found themselves last night. We were so, so close on a number of occasions in overtime when Dallas seemed to have more jump than they did the rest of the game.

Otter deserved better last night.   With no Hinze last night you could argue that the stars only had 2 true top 6 forwards in the lineup with Robertson and Pavelski.   Don't know what has happened to Gurianov since Montgomery got shitcanned.   Current staff doesn't seem to have faith in him.   Miro played better in games 6 and 7 and when he started carrying the puck down low to make plays.    Klingberg, Seguin, Radulov, and Benn all need to go, but they will probably have to keep Benn.   Overall the lineup doesn't have speed and they aren't physical which is a shitty combination.   I'm tired of Jim Nill and wouldn't hurt my feelings to see him gone as well.   

I would love to hear Jim Lites thoughts on Benn and Seguin this series.   Ha! 

3 hours ago, Bill Brasky said:

Otter deserved better last night.   With no Hinze last night you could argue that the stars only had 2 true top 6 forwards in the lineup with Robertson and Pavelski.   Don't know what has happened to Gurianov since Montgomery got shitcanned.   Current staff doesn't seem to have faith in him.   Miro played better in games 6 and 7 and when he started carrying the puck down low to make plays.    Klingberg, Seguin, Radulov, and Benn all need to go, but they will probably have to keep Benn.   Overall the lineup doesn't have speed and they aren't physical which is a shitty combination.   I'm tired of Jim Nill and wouldn't hurt my feelings to see him gone as well.   

I would love to hear Jim Lites thoughts on Benn and Seguin this series.   Ha! 

Seguin's contract has (gulp) five years remaining. He's not going anywhere at that price.

16 hours ago, wood said:

Is it a given that the Stars will be able to keep Robertson in Dallas? I guess his playoff performance won't help his cause any in those negotiations though...

that's a pretty shallow take. I don't think unless he just demands too much that the Stars will let him go. they'll build this team around Otter, Roope, Hintz, Robo, and Miro. We may be stuck with Jamie and Segs for a while, but I think we can make it work with them.

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

that's a pretty shallow take. I don't think unless he just demands too much that the Stars will let him go. they'll build this team around Otter, Roope, Hintz, Robo, and Miro. We may be stuck with Jamie and Segs for a while, but I think we can make it work with them.

I think maybe you misread what I was saying. It was a question, not a take. I want to know what y'all think about the Stars' chances of retaining him. I have no idea how much money they have, etc.

I'm not saying I think the Stars will willingly let him go. I think he is and will be a star in the league. However I do think his playoff performance diminished his leverage in negotiations for a new contract - even if only marginally. Imho that actually might boost the chances that the Stars keep him, since they might not have to pay quite as much for him.

Edited by wood

20 minutes ago, wood said:

I think maybe you misread what I was saying. It was a question, not a take. I want to know what y'all think about the Stars' chances of retaining him. I have no idea how much money they have, etc.

I'm not saying I think the Stars will willingly let him go. I think he is and will be a star in the league. However I do think his playoff performance diminished his leverage in negotiations for a new contract - even if only marginally. Imho that actually might boost the chances that the Stars keep him, since they might not have to pay quite as much for him.

I get what you're saying, but no one save Otter showed up in this playoffs. if that was the metric we'd fire everyone but the goalie. Robo will get a hefty contract, but I don't think it'll be a bank buster. my guess is in the $4-$5M range. if we can't swing that we have problems

Expecting that Bowness will not be asked back, will all the jobs this year Bowness can likely get another one if he wants it, but Dallas time should be over.

I'm hoping Dallas goes after Leafs assistant Spencer Carbery if for no other reason that he transformed a bad Leafs power play team into this years best.

2 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

fwiw, Seguin played with a broken foot suffered in game 1. I think he bounces back in a big way next season.

eh, he said he was fully back to normal last September.  I hope you are right but i'm thinking he's just on the downhill side.  which sucks because no one is going to take that contract.