Online language learning

I've been "learning" French for a few years now, mainly using podcasts like Coffee Break French. I've also tried Duolingo (which sucked IMO) and Rosetta Stone (slightly better but still surprisingly bad). In the end, the podcasts have worked better for me thus far.

Anyone have experience with online video courses like Preply or Verbling? You can get 1:1 tutors for a reasonable hourly rate. Do they teach from a lesson plan? I feel like this would help me be more committed if I'm paying a real person to video chat ?weekly and monitor my progress.

On 4/30/2022 at 3:11 PM, wild_turkey said:

I've been "learning" French for a few years now, mainly using podcasts like Coffee Break French. I've also tried Duolingo (which sucked IMO) and Rosetta Stone (slightly better but still surprisingly bad). In the end, the podcasts have worked better for me thus far.

Anyone have experience with online video courses like Preply or Verbling? You can get 1:1 tutors for a reasonable hourly rate. Do they teach from a lesson plan? I feel like this would help me be more committed if I'm paying a real person to video chat ?weekly and monitor my progress.

If you’re in a decent sized metro search for language groups where you meet up to practice speaking. Buddy of mine worked on his Spanish through a public library group and saw improvement.