Could you beat this 70 year olds 100m time?

Caponata

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Probably? Not sure I've ever ran a timed 100m though. 

Probably not. Assuming you’re in your 40s, world class elite for a 45 year old is 10.7-11.4. I’m assuming you’re not world class elite. 

7 minutes ago, nnm said:

Probably not. Assuming you’re in your 40s, world class elite for a 45 year old is 10.7-11.4. I’m assuming you’re not world class elite. 

I'm in my 20s and in decent shape but it's not like I sprint a bunch. I'm sort of lacking a frame of reference is the main issue. Maybe I'll find a track and see if I can figure out a way to time a couple. I bet one effort would give me the answer. 

I'd definitely whip that dude's ass in lane 6 😂

19 minutes ago, nnm said:

You might be able to beat longhorn Hall of Honor Bobby Whilden’s 80-84 American record of 14.12:

https://nikeelitecamp.runnerspace.com/gprofile.php?mgroup_id=45365&do=videos&video_id=152693

That seems more impressive than the guy in the OP.

Looking into it more sub 14 seems pretty fast for any age group. No way I do that just walking out to a track. 

I just know I can still book it when I have to - but 100m is a long sprint. Me or any other average dude has a better chance at beating him in like a 40 or 50m I'm guessing. 

I ran the 100 as a freshman in high school. I was slow though. 13.1 was my best time I can remember. I'm 39 now but in decently good shape. I'm guessing I'd be right around 14.5, 15 seconds. So no I couldn't beat him.

15 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

I ran the 100 as a freshman in high school. I was slow though. 13.1 was my best time I can remember. I'm 39 now but in decently good shape. I'm guessing I'd be right around 14.5, 15 seconds. So no I couldn't beat him.

I now have more faith that I could hit sub 14. Unless you're completely full of shit.

Fuck... guess I'm going to go for this. Can I get like, a month? Can we take bets? @Fletch can be my official timer. 

I was running 11.3 in 8th grade and my best time was 10.9 sophomore year.  I started gaining weight for football and lost enough speed to not make the sprint relay anymore, so I skipped track season Jr and Sr year (girls and beer instead).

Anyway, I coach 2 flag football teams, and sometims I'll run with the kids.  It's damn hard to beat them on the short sprints.  Once I get to stride my long legs get me ahead of them.  But these 12yo kids are super fast.  I'm guessing mid 13s for 100m for the fastest ones.

So, if I didn't have a heart attack at 70m, I think I could pull in a sub 14 still.  With training I could beat him.

Also, pulling flags is insanely hard compared to tackling a sunufabitch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elvis said:

I was running 11.3 in 8th grade and my best time was 10.9 sophomore year.  I started gaining weight for football and lost enough speed to not make the sprint relay anymore, so I skipped track season Jr and Sr year (girls and beer instead).

Anyway, I coach 2 flag football teams, and sometims I'll run with the kids.  It's damn hard to beat them on the short sprints.  Once I get to stride my long legs get me ahead of them.  But these 12yo kids are super fast.  I'm guessing mid 13s for 100m for the fastest ones.

So, if I didn't have a heart attack at 70m, I think I could pull in a sub 14 still.  With training I could beat him.

Also, pulling flags is insanely hard compared to tackling a sunufabitch.

"I ran a 10.9 as a sophomore but skipped track junior and senior year because I was too cool"

This is one of the dumbest fucking things I've ever read on this site. I have a hard time believing you ran track at an Olympic level then just quit because you were too sick and wanted to drink and bang chicks. 

10.9? At 16? Are you fucking kidding me? 

• Hook 'Em 1

5,10 and 135 pounds. I was really fast. Heck we were all running high 10s and low 11s. Then I gained 25 pounds and 2 inches. Fast outside line backer. 3A ball in west Texas.  

Olympic levels are high 9s low 10s. 

My coach pissed me off too.  That’s another reason I quit.  We won Regionals sophomore year. Then coach let our best athlete challenge me for my 3rd leg spot for the state race. (He wasn’t running track until the baseball schedule thinned out.) He made us race out of blocks instead of a handoff race.  He won by a nose and let him run. He dropped the batton during the race. Womp womp.  Fuck you coach. 

Plus, the next year, my GF was a freshman at TCU and I didn’t want to miss any parties. Fake ID, credit card, and parents let me hit Ft Worth for sorority parties. 

14 hours ago, ztejas said:

I now have more faith that I could hit sub 14. Unless you're completely full of shit.

Fuck... guess I'm going to go for this. Can I get like, a month? Can we take bets? @Fletch can be my official timer. 

I’m down. We’re doing this in the afternoon, right?

17 hours ago, ztejas said:

For the general public, anything sub 12 is really, really fucking fast. Sub 13 is very fucking fast. Sub 14 is fast. And so on. 

• Hook 'Em 1

In 8th grade, my sprint relay team was working handoffs on the varsity track. 

We were working out next to the varsity girls that were practicing for state competition. 

We challenged them and their coach. 

We completely smoked them by 50 yards. 

probably not good for the  girls morale, but track coaches noticed some upcoming stud sprinters.  

I also hit 23.7 in 200m to advance to state that sophomore  year.  Pretty good long and triple jumper, but not better than regional.  High jumping….not that great, didn’t pass district in that. 5,9 I think. Maybe 5,10. 

I remember in off season the next year, coach decided we should wrastle. I was always pissed that he pulled me and Todd (the best athlete) for first round.  

I had never wrastled before. I got beat. Again. 

in retrospect, he pulled the underclassmen that were on varsity  

I would have preferred a tackle or TE that I knew how to fight on the line.  

Not the fucking Safety that took my spot. 

coaches are smarter than they look. 

2 hours ago, Elvis said:

I also hit 23.7 in 200m to advance to state that sophomore  year.  Pretty good long and triple jumper, but not better than regional.  High jumping….not that great, didn’t pass district in that. 5,9 I think. Maybe 5,10. 

Slight derail..

I've posted it elsewhere,  but one of the most impressive things I've ever seen was Arthur Whittington(Jordan's uncle) winning the 220 yard dash att the district meet in Kerrville.   21.4 and started pulling up about 5 yards shy of the finish line because he had strained/pulled a hamstring earlier in the broad jump.

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Hook 'Em 1

I guess I’ll tell another.  Todd (our best athlete) was known as The Jack of all Trades.  

He plaid Safety, WR, tailback, and kicker.  

He would kick off and clear the uprights.  Really, he was knocking that far and straight.  He had a mean squib kick too. 

He would frequently score (at RB, WR, and safety pic six, which I take some credit for because of my fast OLB pressure) then he would kick his own extra point. 

4 hours ago, smuggs said:

I could run down this geezer just after whipping a chimpanzee's or any large breed of dog's ass with my bare hands.

You know, contrary to popular belief, whipping a chimpanzee's ass with your bare hands is actually quite hard.  You'd get wrecked, I'm told.

17 hours ago, Elvis said:

I made my players time 40s tonight. Best was 5.2. I raced my son at practice.   6.2 40yd. Not great but I’m glad I stretched first.  He beat me. 

jeans and sneakers.  were you on grass?  makes a huge difference.  a few friends and i timed our 40s before the pandemic.  tennis shoes, shorts, on a track.  ran it three times, 5.7s and 5.8.  

11 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

The day I can’t run faster than a 12 year old will be the day I stop robbing lemonade stands.

there are a couple 13 year olds on my son's soccer team who are faster than i ever was.  pretty sure i'm faster than this guy though. 

image.thumb.png.2f04cf092ec9e7f6cc7f1b95efead33e.png

• Like 1