Battery powered lawn mowers?

Anyone have one? My gas powered Toro Recycler seems dead and I'd rather just go get a new mower than try to waste time getting it fixed. My local hardware store stocks battery powered models and it got me thinking about making the switch. My reservations would be that it doesn't cut as efficiently as gas and that the charge won't last long enough. 

In all likelihood I'll just get a new gas powered model but I figured it would be something worth investigating.

Have had Craftsman V60 for 3 seasons.  No problems.

was a bit hesitant with my transition from gas to lectric, but I have been satisfied with their product.  Also have the string trimmer and blower of the same model line.

\

If I were considering an electric mower, I'd look at all the electric lawn tools, weed whacker, blower, etc, and pick whichever brand has the best products for the money all around.  Same charger, same battery, etc. 

I've got 2 acres, so it's a no-go for me, but now I'm seeing lawn tractors at HD that say that they can mow 2 acres on a single charge.  

The technology has come so far, so quickly. 

I've got a Ryobi chainsaw polesaw deal that reaches 12 feet.  I believe it's 40 volts.   It was cheap...less than $150 IIRC, and it works very well.  

• Hook 'Em 3

I still roll with the gas mower but the weed eater, blower, hedge trimmer etc are all transitioned to battery powered.  It's soooo much easier.  No cord (as it were with electric models) and no mixing gas and shit as it were with gas powered tools.  Works just as well.  All my stuff is Dewalt, been very pleased.  As said above because batteries all work in each other it's handy to have the same stuff.  I don't know if they do mowers though and my Briggs/Stratton is still purring along.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

I still roll with the gas mower but the weed eater, blower, hedge trimmer etc are all transitioned to battery powered.  It's soooo much easier.  No cord (as it were with electric models) and no mixing gas and shit as it were with gas powered tools.  Works just as well.  All my stuff is Dewalt, been very pleased.  As said above because batteries all work in each other it's handy to have the same stuff.  I don't know if they do mowers though and my Briggs/Stratton is still purring along.

Every mower thread on any of these boards, everybody starts yelling "buy one with a Honda engine".  

Meanwhile, B&S engines are really, really good.  They don't get the respect that they deserve. And, almost all of them are made in USA.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Gil Bang said:

Every mower thread on any of these boards, everybody starts yelling "buy one with a Honda engine".  

Meanwhile, B&S engines are really, really good.  They don't get the respect that they deserve. And, almost all of them are made in USA.

Yep B&S are definitely underrated.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

I’ve blown more than one Honda. I’ve never had a B&S die. And I have Honda bike and ATVs.  

Eta: will likely go to battery mower if mine ever dies (on year 12 now). But my battery blower is not in same convo as the gas.  I just use it for the pooL area now for quick, easy, light job. 

Edited by fattyflattie

Could be something as straight forward as needing your head gasket replaced.  When that starts to go, the engine cannot maintain proper compression to stay running.  The gasket is really simple and cheap.  And if you don't want to do it yourself, taking it to a local repair shop and they'll have it running like new.

I agree on the battery thing as well, but you may end up spending more on overhauling your entire equipment collection, than a couple hundred to get your original mower working like new.

BTW, I do have a 40V Ryobi trimmer (with chainsaw and hedge trimmer attachments) because the gas ones simply do not last more than a few seasons.

12 hours ago, ultimaton said:

I've had a RYOBI 40V for a couple years now and I've been happy with it. The battery is compatible with all other RYOBI 40v tools. It folds up for storage or transport pretty easily.

Same.  Mower, edger, weed eater.  Did have a battery die on me after a few years of use, but replaced it with a newer (higher amp-hour) one that still works with all the tools.

22 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Just don’t fall behind on your schedule and electric is fine. 

This is where my hesistancy lies.  Also have a big softspot for B&S engines, and my hand me down mower from my pops (who has a bitchin Honda) is a beast that just keeps going.

Have any of you electric converts found issues with the clippings bag attached?  My neighbor has an electric and he loves it except for when he has the bag attached.  Doesnt seem to work as well.

I'm probably on my last gas mower.  I had a Snapper rear bagger.  The engine lasted about 20 years and I put the wrong oil in it and it smoked so I bought another engine and put it on the same frame. (Put the old engine on a different frame with the right oil and sold it)  New engine was half as noisy as the old one and rebuilt the drive train, new belts, new gear oil, and 4 new wheels.  All that was half the price of a new mower.  This incarnation is going strong 5 years later.

Even had rotator cuff surgery so pulling the starting cord does not hurt any more. It may outlast me but when the air filter gets clogged and won't start I dream of an electric one. 

8 hours ago, freyguy said:

BTW, I do have a 40V Ryobi trimmer (with chainsaw and hedge trimmer attachments) because the gas ones simply do not last more than a few seasons.

lol, my Echo gas trimmer is about 18 years old.  Echo gas chainsaw is over 20.  I just make sure to use ethanol free gas and only use an echo branded chain. 

I have a plug-in electric chainsaw on a pole and it cuts but does not go fast enough for smooth cuts. I would rather use my new hand powered saw for high branches.  Telescopes much higher and smoother cuts.

My friend has the Ryobi chainsaw and I love that thing.  We use it on cedars all the time. 

Edited by TexasEd

I'm probably going to get a robot. We have retaining walls in the back and the only way to get a lawnmower up is to carry it over the travertine stairs. So, of course, I have my son do it. Once he is off to college though, I'll have to figure something else out. Creating a little stone shed for an electric and then carrying the battery up would be one option. The other is to set up a robot. Paying somebody probably wouldn't work because they would probably drag a lawnmower over the stairs and damage them.

7 hours ago, hookemATL said:

This is where my hesistancy lies.  Also have a big softspot for B&S engines, and my hand me down mower from my pops (who has a bitchin Honda) is a beast that just keeps going.

Have any of you electric converts found issues with the clippings bag attached?  My neighbor has an electric and he loves it except for when he has the bag attached.  Doesnt seem to work as well.

I've never mowed without the bag on this mower.  No problems, nor has it ever indicated it MIGHT be an issue.

33 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Big perk of going all electric too was keeping my blower on the back porch. Quick and easy for everyone (no longer just me) to use to clear the patio/pool deck. Less than a minute I'm done.  Battery is same as trimmer one so can swap/charge as needed.

I've got the Milwaukee drill, impact driver, and sawzall in 18v.  A guy I know has a milwaukee blower that uses the same battery, and it's very small and light but works pretty well, certainly well enough to blow off a patio, etc.   Also great for blowing off a car after a wash. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Team DeWalt checking in.  I have almost 2 acres of yard, and I have a JD rider for that.  But the ditch in front of the house is too awkward for the rider...so I use this.  I can use it 5 times  (around 75 minutes) before I need to recharge.   I don't use the bagger or mulching plug with it.  I like that it can fold up and hang on the wall in the garage:

1168374-21.jpg

I also have a DeWalt trimmer, hedge trimmer, chain saw and pole saw, along with a handful of other DeWalt tools that all use the same batteries.  Still have my Echo edger and backpack blower, and given the size of my driveway, I'll probably have a gas blower for some time.  

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Just curious, why would you bag instead of just mulching when you mow?

Fuck if I know.  Mulching would probably be better with the lack of rainfall here. 16 years in Houston area and I mulched probably 95% of time at a minimum.

Gonna reconsider.

Relevant to the thread, was just answering to address power concerns. All of the sudden I have a conundrum.

For me, bagging lawn clippings more than doubles the time and is annoying to add extra work in the hot summer. Team mulch. If you have too many leaves on the lawn, it might require a second pass to better mulch them. Not a problem with a self propelled mower.

My Ryobi string trimmer, blower and small chain saw are all great. My gas Honda mower is only 4-5 years old but I will eventually switch to a battery one. Perhaps another 5 years when the Honda gives out.

8 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

For me, bagging lawn clippings more than doubles the time and is annoying to add extra work in the hot summer. Team mulch. If you have too many leaves on the lawn, it might require a second pass to better mulch them. Not a problem with a self propelled mower.

My Ryobi string trimmer, blower and small chain saw are all great. My gas Honda mower is only 4-5 years old but I will eventually switch to a battery one. Perhaps another 5 years when the Honda gives out.

Leaves are minimal, see also; West Texas.  Tumbleweeds gather in one corner of my yard though.  They can be bigger than one of Vic's ladies sometimes...

No opposed to mulching at all.  Bagging the clippings adds 5min at the most to total yard work. One dump in the front, one in the back.

My yard is not big and it's one reason I decided to try lectric equipment.

I will add though, (old) gascans and the smell of gasoline are features, not gliches.

Edited by slorch

On 5/2/2022 at 6:20 PM, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Big perk of going all electric too was keeping my blower on the back porch. Quick and easy for everyone (no longer just me) to use to clear the patio/pool deck. Less than a minute I'm done.  Battery is same as trimmer one so can swap/charge as needed.

I keep ours in the pool shed thing on side of house. Blow every other day or so.  But yard duty still requires the gas for me. I’m anal about blowing the edging out clean.  Elec blower also works really well for blowing leaves out of mulched beds without blowing the mulch out into the yard.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Is interesting

I use the shit out of the cheap ryobi blower It’s so easy and convenient

Maybe I would do the same without the gas weed eater and mower. Once it gets to 100 degrees I find a high school kid to mow

I have a nice Honda mower and echo weed eater but they piss me off every now and then

5 hours ago, slorch said:

Leaves are minimal, see also; West Texas.  Tumbleweeds gather in one corner of my yard though.  They can be bigger than one of Vic's ladies sometimes...

No opposed to mulching at all.  Bagging the clippings adds 5min at the most to total yard work. One dump in the front, one in the back.

My yard is not big and it's one reason I decided to try lectric equipment.

I will add though, (old) gascans and the smell of gasoline are features, not gliches.

I call bullshit.  I was born in California, but I'm 50% Pettit Texas DNA.  For 5 decades I've heard my old man talk about W. Texas wind and tumbleweeds, but I've never seen disgust in his eyes when he told his windstorm stories. 

Edited by Gil Bang

4 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

I went with Kohler last month when I found the mower and blower on sale. No issues at all and I really love having a blower for the patio should have done this sooner

I posted at the time.  A couple of years back I bought a Toro self-propelled with a Kohler "Guaranteed Start on 1 pull" engine.  It's total bullshit.  Sometimes it takes two pulls. Really a terrific engine.  Somebody here recommended the Kohler, and I am in that dude's debt.  

On 5/6/2022 at 7:41 PM, MonkeyDoughnut said:

If you are looking at Ryobi, DirectToolsOutlet.com has their line at 40% off right now for "blemished". I've bought many things from DTO over the years and they all would pass as brand new.

Thanks for the tip. I looked around on there and got a new Ryobi 40v dual battery self propelled for $330 shipped. Same unit goes for closer to $500 at Home Depot. I like the idea of being able to interchange with other Ryobi tools like cordless drills. Not sure how long it might take to ship but hopefully not too long. The yard is getting a little tall.

On 5/1/2022 at 7:40 PM, CooterBrown said:

I have the E-Go. It’s perfectly fine and does a comparable job to my old Honda gas mower. I can mow my city lot on just over half a charge.

Another happy E-Go owner.  I've had the mower for maybe 7 or 8 years.  I also have the blower, weed whacker/string trimmer, and hedge clippers.  All are rock solid.  I had to buy a replacement battery for the mower after 5 years.  Wasn't too bad.

• Hook 'Em 1