Roe v Wade to be overturned

UTGrad98

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Oh my sweet summer child.

So long as companies can find a way to profit under fascism -- and they will -- they will continue to support it wholeheartedly.  See, e.g., the continuation of corporate donations to Jan 6 traitors.

This is how fascism works: it's a creep of the oppression, with the powerful finding new excuses and ways to support it for profit.

These companies are dependent on a very skilled workforce that for the most part do not share the same social values of Texas. It's also an industry where companies compete for skilled talent. It's not like this workforce can be replaced by Wade from TTU. There is a reason they have been drawn to Austin. It's the talent which isn't like Cletus from college station.

20 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

You forget one thing.....   Corporations don't give a fuck about people.  

I never implied that. My point was that once it impacts profit it will cause problems.

3 minutes ago, F250 said:

These companies are dependent on a very skilled workforce that for the most part do not share the same social values of Texas. It's also an industry where companies compete for skilled talent. It's not like this workforce can be replaced by Wade from TTU. There is a reason they have been drawn to Austin. It's the talent which isn't like Cletus from college station.

The corporations will all fall in line.  If you, skilled talent, want a job, you'll take it with the conditions imposed by your Oligarchical Christofascist masters, and you'll say thank you.

It's like some of y'all don't realize we're flying into fascism with the afterburners blazing.  This isn't a drill, it isn't hyperbole.  It's what's actually happening.

28 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

They don't have to "back" these laws.  They just have to go along with them.  Which they will.  Because dissenting corporations will be punished (see Disney, which was 100% attacked as an example to others).  Acquiescent companies that continue to send in their campaign donations will do just fine.  It's like none of you know how this actually works.  We don't have to make it up, we can literally read a history book to see how it goes.

Yep. Corporations value stability. They will fold. Amazon, for example, is not going to give up selling to 10 million households in TX because of abortion laws.

Apple is the only big tech major I could see maybe not acquiescing. But they've also invested bigly in their presence.

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The corporations will all fall in line.  If you, skilled talent, want a job, you'll take it with the conditions imposed by your Oligarchical Christofascist masters, and you'll say thank you.

It's like some of y'all don't realize we're flying into fascism with the afterburners blazing.  This isn't a drill, it isn't hyperbole.  It's what's actually happening.

I'm not a ledge dweller the pessimistic fatalism doesn't suit me. Not sure how you can spend so much time sounding the alarm while simultaneously saying that the end is unavoidable.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, history shows that's exactly what happens and we can watch it happening right now. The people still believing it can't happen here are blind.

3 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Doesn’t matter where it’s headquartered. My Oklahoma based company has over same sex benefits, inclusion & diversity programs, a new travel reimbursement for “healthcare” travel, and other “liberal” benefits since well before I started 12 years ago. I guarantee our executive leadership and board are 95% hardcore republicans. Large corporations generally recognize the value of a diverse workforce. Only those truly ran by zealots, like Hobby Lobby, would back these laws from a corporate perspective.

And when SCOTUS rules that they DON'T HAVE to offer those benefits, guess how many will opt out?

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You could just raise them to be decent and kind people and let them decide for themselves when they get older whether they want to choose to follow a religion. 

This is pretty much what Mrs.LL and I try to do.

There is a challenge, however, in trying to convey to my daughter that she can't be an atheist and believe in Santa Claus.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

There is a challenge, however, in trying to convey to my daughter that she can't be an atheist and believe in Santa Claus.

Show us where Santa exists in the Bible.

8 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Show us where Santa exists in the Bible.

It's right there, next to the part about Jesus carrying an AR-15, declaring America the greatest country ever, and telling desperate brown people fleeing a violent and oppressive government (well.....OTHER brown people.  Not his parents.) that they should respect borders and stuff.  Goddammit, do you even READ the bible?

16 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Lulz. Well, everyone gets over their belief in Santa Claus eventually.

Not exactly related but this is a good book (pun intended):

88292E45-C46F-4EC6-9C64-45B40BF929AF.png.dabd5309f3b55846ac8f5ad0488675c6.png

10 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I used to know a Scandinavian that was an atheist but also paid homage to the Little People in Norse mythology. He didn’t actually believe in them but at the same time he didn't want to upset them so he would behave as if they existed. I learned about this when he mentioned why he decided not to buy a house that needed renovation. He was told it would upset the Little People.

3 hours ago, F250 said:

As I've stated around here before,, I've worked at every level of IT over the past 25 years, and at any given time 75% of my coworkers werent even from the US. They were/are part of an H1-b contract.

The education system here is total shit.

When hiring I give no fucks about degrees.

Show me those certs, bitch!

Why bring up religion at all? We only celebrate all the pagan aspects of Christmas.

I knew we’d done a good job when my oldest had a guitar recital for middle school. It happened to be at the Methodist church next to Lamar MS. We go in and sit down. My youngest daughter, 6 at the time, exclaims “why is that naked guy hanging on the hospital symbol?!?!?” It was amusingly awkward.
  • Haha 2

There’s a blockbuster deep within the National Defense Authorization Act now working its way through Congress. If part of the final spending plan, the new policy ends the practice of mids and cadets who become parents while at a service academy facing one of three choices, get an abortion, give up parental rights or leave the military.

The change was driven by an unlikely set of allies, U.S. Sens. Ted Cruz, R-Texas

Oh, Teddy...

https://rickhutzell.bulletin.com/naval-academy-graduat/

Edited by pacman

HEB, Dell, AT&T, BP, Phillips 66, Exxon all currently HQ in Texas and will have Travel Reimbursements access for Reproductive Health within the next month.

Amazon, Google, Meta, IBM, Microsoft, NIKE, Paypal, Pinterest, Salesforce, SONY, Uber, Lyft, WarnerMedia my god if you saw the entire list you would lose your mind. I didn't bother listing the financial institutions and retailers. All will have access to travel reimbursement.

23 hours ago, F250 said:

Things are going to come to a head. The social conservatives are overreaching at the moment. Politicians fucking around with big business will eventually find out. A lot of these are West coast companies that Texas has been trying to lure away from the West. This shit can only go on for so long.

Maybe but that will be more of a secondary concern to the tax environment.

22 hours ago, F250 said:

I'm not a ledge dweller the pessimistic fatalism doesn't suit me. Not sure how you can spend so much time sounding the alarm while simultaneously saying that the end is unavoidable.

Alarms have been sounding for years, yet the Republicans are still aggressively pushing for fascism....and making steady progress.  Unless you're for fascism, I don't see how you're not on the ledge. 

7 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Alarms have been sounding for years, yet the Republicans are still aggressively pushing for fascism....and making steady progress.  Unless you're for fascism, I don't see how you're not on the ledge. 

lulz

You are a fascist if you don't embrace the inevitably of fascism.

I'm not on the ledge because I am not a fatalist. If you have a fatalistic view of this outcome than talking about it is pointless because it is inevitable. By embracing the inevitable you render yourself useless because really it is just surrendering to the opposition ahead of time.

The ledge says it's over

But I say.

animal-house-bluto.gif

4 minutes ago, F250 said:

lulz

I'm not on the ledge because I am not a fatalist. If you have a fatalistic view of this outcome than talking about it is pointless because it is inevitable. By embracing the inevitable you render yourself useless because really it is just surrendering to the opposition ahead of time.

The ledge says it's over

But I say.

animal-house-bluto.gif

Yeah, that didn't sound like I thought it did when I typed it.  But, still, it's not looking good, to me.  I really hope "the ledge" is wrong but not confident of that...at all. 

57 minutes ago, F250 said:

The ledge says it's over

You are not on the ledge because based on your Sugar Babies posts you are getting more strange then everyone on the ledge put together.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, F250 said:

lulz

The ledge says it's over

But I say.

animal-house-bluto.gif

I say fight like hell.  Fight to our last breath.  But these are also words of wisdom from Spiers:

original.gif

• Like 1

On 5/20/2022 at 7:02 PM, Neonmoon said:

Having a nice dinner with someone brainwashed by Fox News. Abortion comes up, and they say, you know in NY, anyone is allowed to abort a few weeks before birth. 

Me, that’s absolutely not true. They insist they recently read it. I pull out my phone and find the NY abortion law stating only before 24 weeks unless to save mother or if fetus is no longer viable. They just change subjects. 

How can this country every solve anything again?

One side believes whatever fables they are told that make them feel good because Fox News told them. Once you prove they are making it up, they just pivot and make up something else.

it’s exhausting 

It's like having a conversation with my teenager.  It's fucking exhausting and it never stops.  They can pivot an unlimited amount of times.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1