24bit FLAC

Horn_Spanker

What are you looking to get out of it? As close to analog sound as you can get from a digital medium? I have a lot of 24bit FLAC files that I was putting on a portable player. I don't worry about it as much now since I switched cars and can stream to my dash. 

I was big into SACDs when they were out. I've collected a lot of FLAC files that are rips of the SACD data. It sounds really good. I also have a lot of "needle drops" where someone records the sound from their high end record player and takes out the clicks and pops. It sounds great. 

Here's an example of my struggle.  Song is first one on Wish You Were Here.

320kbps MP3 = 31.755 MB

24bit 44.1kHz FLAC = 81.726 MB

24bit 96kHz FLAC = 278.071 MB

24bit 192kHz FLAC = 536.740 MB

With my old ears, old receiver, old speakers, I can't hear a difference!  I know technically the bigger file is more data and more is better, but damn.  I doubt I'll ever invest in a higher end system, and my ears will only get worse, so I may just stick to the 320 mp3s. 

• 2 months later...

What you are finding is definitely true. Your entire listening chain, up to and including your ears, needs to be able to resolve the finer resolution for it to have any benefit to you. If you just listen to everything on iPhone earbuds, stick to mp3 and save the disk space. Conversely, if your speakers are B&W Nautilus, never try to listen to anything less than FLAC.

There is an audio nerd thread over in the Music forum if you want more visibility:

• Hook 'Em 1

Lots of good stuff out there that shows that 16bit CD quality meets or exceeds the human limit of hearing in terms of frequency and dynamic range. Some good videos with demonstrations by Monte Montgomery who came up with the ogg vorbis format. 

• Hook 'Em 1