Everyday Dress Pants

Serious business here.

I wear dress pants most days. For the longest time I would go to my local Banana Republic outlet store and pick out a few pairs.

During the pandemic, they probably figured no one was going to the office and stopped making them.

Now that my rotation is getting a little old, I need a new source. Where do you guys get your pants?

I don’t need suit pants, just something I can wear at the office and throw in the washer when they get dirty.

Help me out. 

Man, this hits home...my go to work wardrobe don't work post-COVID! And I'm too damn old to go for the slim shit or the draw string shit. I need to find a happy medium between that and the various colors of khaki slacks from Nordstrom in the closet now.

I did a zoom interview for a job...the other end was wearing a plain grey t-shirt with the neck all stretched out. They are doing this on purpose to confuse the olds!!!!

I'm stuck between the olds we all know that just say fuck it and keep on wearing the stylish tassel loafers, pleated slacks, and a button down in all circumstances, and not ready for the overly casual "business" attire.

I think the answer is tuxedo t-shirt.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, DCLonghorn said:

I'm stuck between the olds we all know that just say fuck it and keep on wearing the stylish tassel loafers, pleated slacks, and a button down in all circumstances

This is me, but I'm getting a bit bolder about wearing jeans and polished cowboy boots with said button down in most business settings.  Nobody has any fucks to give these days.

• Hook 'Em 1

Agree on Bonobos, as mentioned above.

While not exactly "dress" pants, look into Rhone.  Anytime Im just wearing a polo to the office, their Commuter Pants are great.  Lightweight, breathable, stay cool, easy wash, no iron needed.   Actually wearing a pair right now.

2 hours ago, Grumpy Camel said:

While not exactly "dress" pants, look into Rhone.  Anytime Im just wearing a polo to the office, their Commuter Pants are great.  Lightweight, breathable, stay cool, easy wash, no iron needed.   Actually wearing a pair right now.

Somebody told me that Amazon Essentials and Bonobos are made at the same factory and are the same thing, with Amazon essentials being about 25% as expensive. Don't know if that's true.

8 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Somebody told me that Amazon Essentials and Bonobos are made at the same factory and are the same thing, with Amazon essentials being about 25% as expensive. Don't know if that's true.

are they cut the same?

I've got a flat ass, and the pants that fit me best are Tommy Bahama Boracay chinos, so I just buy them in multiple colors - pants and shorts, they fit the same.  Throw on a company golf shirt or a Brooks Brothers plaid and a pair of polished boots and I'm good to go.

Would love to hear what you other flat assed middle aged guys wear in terms of pants.

• Hook 'Em 1

My stepbro had his luggage lost recently on a business trip, and the only pants available to be bought were from - don't laugh - Lululemon.  Apparently they actually make pants for men that can be worn to work. He actually wears them with Tecovas.  My SIL makes fun of him constantly.

• Haha 1

Anyone have any dress pant recommendations that come with suspender buttons on the inside (and no belt loops)? I guess it's a bit anachronistic for our work-from-anywhere world today, but sometimes I like to look dapper at ELT type meetings. I didn't even see any at like a Brooks Brothers where you'd assume they'd have some.

Edited by Vegas64

My stepbro had his luggage lost recently on a business trip, and the only pants available to be bought were from - don't laugh - Lululemon.  Apparently they actually make pants for men that can be worn to work. He actually wears them with Tecovas.  My SIL makes fun of him constantly.
I wear lulu active pants. They can be worn for anything from jogging to going to church with nicer shoes but I've never worn boots with them.

On 5/3/2022 at 12:21 PM, Superhero said:

I don’t need suit pants, just something I can wear at the office and throw in the washer when they get dirty.

I’m the opposite. Once I started with suit pants, I never went back. It’s either suit pants or nice jeans.  It’s always boots though. 

6 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

I've got a flat ass, and the pants that fit me best are Tommy Bahama Boracay chinos, so I just buy them in multiple colors - pants and shorts, they fit the same.  Throw on a company golf shirt or a Brooks Brothers plaid and a pair of polished boots and I'm good to go.

Would love to hear what you other flat assed middle aged guys wear in terms of pants.

hqdefault.jpg

• Haha 4

16 hours ago, William_Cannon said:

Perry Ellis Portfolio. I’ve been rocking them for two decades- machine wash, no wrinkles, always look brand new. Pairs have lasted for several years. They have different fits too.
Get them at Macys.

They also have them on Amazon for 30 or 40 bucks. I like them, too.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, Vegas64 said:

Anyone have any dress pant recommendations that come with suspender buttons on the inside (and no belt loops)? I guess it's a bit anachronistic for our work-from-anywhere world today, but sometimes I like to look dapper at ELT type meetings. I didn't even see any at like a Brooks Brothers where you'd assume they'd have some.

i make my hoodie strings into a little bow tie when I want to look dapper for ETL meetings

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/4/2022 at 3:06 PM, BearSchlong said:

Yes!  Lululemon Commission Pants.  Super comfortable.  More in the "khakis" category, than "dress pant" category.  Always keep these in the rotation.

On 5/4/2022 at 8:57 PM, William_Cannon said:

Perry Ellis Portfolio. I’ve been rocking them for two decades- machine wash, no wrinkles, always look brand new. Pairs have lasted for several years. They have different fits too.
Get them at Macys.

+1.  If you have to somewhat dress up in the office, even rarely, this is a great option to be hanging in your closet. You’re not to win any runway awards but they check the box, and the no wrinkle claim is accurate. 

On 5/4/2022 at 9:45 PM, Gil Bang said:

An aggy wears suspenders. A Gentleman wears braces. 

Listen to this man. He KNOWS.

Plus, ZZTOP.

Anyway, for office casual, my husband has some Roundtree & Yorke pants that he seems to like. That is one of the Dillard's store brands and depending upon the cut and fabric the pants can be dressed up with a sport coat or worn much more casual.

8 minutes ago, Eugene11 said:

Lululemon has a nice pant that looks dressier then it does too casual.  Stupid comfortable also.   I now have 4 pair and hardly ever wear any other type of pants out side or “yard work” type pants. 

Can you ask your husband to weigh in here? I think we're looking for men's pants here.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I work in tech or at least adjacent to it and am overdressed in my non denim levis so I’m not really judging. But I do get whiplash here sometimes. Like do we all have yachts or are we talking about chinos in a thread titled “dress pants”. 

Edited by Celery Man

On 5/4/2022 at 1:23 PM, Grumpy Camel said:

On 5/3/2022 at 5:16 PM, Mo Horn said:

I'm a huge fan of Bonobos. Probably more than half my closet. Comfortable and look great. I am currently wearing the first pair I ever bought 7 or 8 years ago. Still look and fit great. 

I came across an article I really wanted to read today about the founder and former CEO of Bonobos but it's paywalled. Anyone have access to copy and share?

Apparently this guy has some demons: https://www.theinformation.com/articles/the-haunting-of-andy-dunn

From a different article:

ANDY DUNN WAS RIDING HIGH. It was 2012, and he was running a hot e-commerce fashion company he'd co-founded. He'd cashed out seven figures' worth of shares on the secondary market and was living like he thought a CEO in his early 30s in New York City should be living: large. He bought a black Porsche. He jetted off for weekends in Istanbul and Moscow, and ran up a $10,000 Four Seasons bill in Bali. He went out to clubs and restaurants almost every night: drinks with a potential hire at 6; a dinner date at 8; meeting a friend for more drinks at 10.

His company, Bonobos, had launched in 2007 and pioneered an online-first, brand-building model that just a few years later was being copied by entrepreneurs in every consumer-product category imaginable: direct-to- consumer eyeglasses, shoes, razors, dog food, luggage, undies, and more. Dunn started to see himself as a kind of godfather of a new consumer movement. He hired bright college grads to run customer service in-house in one of the world's most expensive cities. He opened brick-and-mortar showrooms, dubbed Guideshops, at a time when legacy stores were flailing. Bonobos was early to social media marketing and omnichannel retail, and it helped usher in a whole new startup econ­omy in New York.

Dunn convinced himself that Bonobos, which began as a brand of better-fitting men's pants, could become the technology backbone of modern commerce--Shopify before Shopify filled the space. Dunn himself began to spread his influence on a web of companies he invested in (Warby Parker, Harry's, Oscar, Coinbase) through a venture capital firm, Red Swan, that he'd co-founded in 2011. And he figured Bonobos should start creating its own sub-brands; the first two, Maide and AYR (for golfers and women, respectively), launched in 2013 and 2014.

There were a few problems with this plan: For one, the company was bleeding money. By 2013, Bonobos had raised $75 million in venture investment and was burning as much as $5 million per month. That summer, it needed to find another $50 million to keep operating--let alone to turn into a software giant or a retail holding company.

And Bonobos was bleeding talent, especially top executives. Dunn was a mercurial boss. He had undermined and pushed out his co-founder, Stanford business school classmate Brian Spaly, who had dreamed up the idea for Bonobos and designed the pants that started the whole party--and whom Dunn now blamed when things didn't go as he hoped. He'd hired another old Stanford pal, Bryan Wolff, to be his CFO, but then fired him over an opulent steak dinner after disagreeing with his efforts to establish some fiscal discipline. The head of engineering, the head of marketing, the head creative: revolving doors all.

But Dunn was the CEO of a high-profile, press-darling company. He wrote thought-leader articles for Medium on the future of e-commerce. He spoke at an event in Las Vegas with Zappos founder Tony Hsieh, one of his heroes. There were battles, and sometimes collateral damage--but, hey, that's startup life. Andy Dunn had arrived.

DUNN DIDN'T KNOW WHERE he was. He awoke in a hospital bed in the psychiatric ER at Manhattan's Belle­vue Hospital, in a room with three other patients experiencing acute mental health crises. His hands were tied. He managed to struggle free, climb out of bed, strip naked, and lie down on the floor, where he screamed for help.

Edited by Vegas64

13 hours ago, Celery Man said:

I work in tech or at least adjacent to it and am overdressed in my non denim levis so I’m not really judging. But I do get whiplash here sometimes. Like do we all have yachts or are we talking about chinos in a thread titled “dress pants”. 

I got a shitty look from a clothier once when I asked for, "machine-washable dress pants."

15 hours ago, Celery Man said:

No, not all of us.

• Haha 2