Blastfurnace 2022

It's already time. Ugh.

Mid to high 90's this weekend pretty much everywhere in Texas, and highs stay in the low 90's through the rest of the extended forecast. 

So long Spring, we hardly knew ye. Get your AC tuned up if you haven't already. Electric bills bout to suuuuuuuck.

25 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Motherfuckers stealing my thread.  It's not Blastfurnace time until I start the thread.   I'll allow it this time, with angst and regret.  

I started last year's as well. 

At least last year we got to wait until June. We're a month ahead of schedule. Furk.

1 hour ago, Samson's Wig said:

I'm not sure at what age I'll puss out and finally move away from the heat, but I know it will happen eventually.

Splitting the year living between Colorado (May-October) and Texas is really something I'd like to make happen at some point.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Storm the Field said:

It's already time. Ugh.

Mid to high 90's this weekend pretty much everywhere in Texas, and highs stay in the low 90's through the rest of the extended forecast. 

So long Spring, we hardly knew ye. Get your AC tuned up if you haven't already. Electric bills bout to suuuuuuuck.

Educate me on this.  Is this necessary?  Is it done annually.  Outsource or weekend project?  I have only bought new homes before, so it never really crossed my mind to have the units serviced.

We built new 2 years ago and just have the company that installed them come out once a year to check everything. 

Tuneups are really more of a professional checkup to make sure everything's in working order and let you know ahead of time if something needs replacing, if refrigerant levels are low, how close an older unit is to finally crapping out...

A lot better to detect problems and get them handled before your AC dies in the middle of a heatwave and you have to get a hotel room or run out and buy a window unit.

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Bring it.  My liver and fishing pole are ready!

Love playing at the beach at Galveston  with the kids, relaxing under an umbrella, and drinking beer while I lazy fish in the surf. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

this is the new normal. again, what fucked up world are we leaving our kids and their kids.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/02/asia/india-pakistan-heatwave-climate-intl-hnk/index.html

Temperatures in parts of India and Pakistan have reached record levels, putting the lives of millions at risk as the effects of the climate crisis are felt across the subcontinent.

The average maximum temperature for northwest and central India in April was the highest since records began 122 years ago, reaching 35.9 and 37.78 degrees Celsius (96.62 and 100 degrees Fahrenheit) respectively, according to the Indian Meteorological Department (IMD).

Last month, New Delhi saw seven consecutive days over 40 degrees Celsius (104 Fahrenheit), three degrees above the average temperature for the month of April, according to CNN meteorologists. In some states, the heat closed schools, damaged crops and put pressure on energy supplies, as officials warned residents to remain indoors and keep hydrated.

5 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

Love playing at the beach at Galveston  with the kids, relaxing under an umbrella, and drinking beer while I lazy fish in the surf. 

Yep.  Hit Crystal Beach last summer.  Had a blast minus waiting on that stupid ferry

We built new 2 years ago and just have the company that installed them come out once a year to check everything. 
Tuneups are really more of a professional checkup to make sure everything's in working order and let you know ahead of time if something needs replacing, if refrigerant levels are low, how close an older unit is to finally crapping out...
A lot better to detect problems and get them handled before your AC dies in the middle of a heatwave and you have to get a hotel room or run out and buy a window unit.

Pro tip: find out what size capacitor your system uses and go buy a spare.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hmbre97 said:
6 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Came to say this.  And get the upgraded one too.  They love to die on a Friday evening in August.  

The service guy also blows out the condensate lines, changes out your filters, checks voltages, and…tries to sell a hard start kit everytime.  

I use ABC who has an annual plan where some of the money goes into a credit for future replacement.  Sure I’m getting screwed somewhere in that deal, but the older I get the more I value my time and let people do that shit.  

Get a back up capacitor is great advice.  Its a 5 min swap out and a $15 part if you are minimally home maintenance capable. Mine went out last summer and it was a complete cluster getting one.  I had to call in a favor from a commercial HVAC contractor to get one.  

As I understand it the current generation of capacitors don’t hold up to heat well because of environmental limitations on the materials they can use to make them.  

On 5/3/2022 at 2:38 PM, crash_davis said:

this is the new normal. again, what fucked up world are we leaving our kids and their kids.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/02/asia/india-pakistan-heatwave-climate-intl-hnk/index.html

Temperatures in parts of India and Pakistan have reached record levels, putting the lives of millions at risk as the effects of the climate crisis are felt across the subcontinent.

The average maximum temperature for northwest and central India in April was the highest since records began 122 years ago, reaching 35.9 and 37.78 degrees Celsius (96.62 and 100 degrees Fahrenheit) respectively, according to the Indian Meteorological Department (IMD).

Last month, New Delhi saw seven consecutive days over 40 degrees Celsius (104 Fahrenheit), three degrees above the average temperature for the month of April, according to CNN meteorologists. In some states, the heat closed schools, damaged crops and put pressure on energy supplies, as officials warned residents to remain indoors and keep hydrated.

355eb4f1-9e71-4d49-a602-d6309e18b373_tex

This heat has me working on a deal for a bunch of wholesale blackout curtains from China. I just need to pay an Instagram/TikTok girl to peddle the curtains online by exaggerating how fresh and cool her apartment feels while wearing a skimpy outfit. Then I can sell the curtains for 20x the cost. 

8 minutes ago, MrBig said:

This heat has me working on a deal for a bunch of wholesale blackout curtains from China. I just need to pay an Instagram/TikTok girl to peddle the curtains online by exaggerating how fresh and cool her apartment feels while wearing a skimpy outfit. Then I can sell the curtains for 20x the cost. 

You won't get them until the fall of '23.   

• Rage+1 1

On 5/3/2022 at 8:43 PM, Hmbre97 said:
On 5/3/2022 at 1:55 PM, Storm the Field said:

I had two systems and one compressor went out.  I had them pull the capacitor and another part from the old outside unit when it was replaced.  Saving it in case the twin unit dies in the summer.

https://www.kxan.com/weather/weather-blog/this-may-is-the-hottest-on-record-in-austin-and-its-not-even-close/

i have a feeling this record will keep getting broken every few years. 

AUSTIN (KXAN) — It’s been a hot few days in Austin. Unseasonably hot.

In fact, we’re currently living through the hottest May on record.

Through May 10, the average temperature at Camp Mabry this month — when combining the high and low for each day — has been 82.0°.

Let’s put that into perspective: According to data from the National Weather Service, the “normal” average temperature for May 1-10 is 74.0°. That means this month is running a fever of 8.0° above normal.

No other May in Austin, with records dating back to 1898, has come close to being that high above normal.

https://www.kxan.com/weather/weather-blog/this-may-is-the-hottest-on-record-in-austin-and-its-not-even-close/
i have a feeling this record will keep getting broken every few years. 

AUSTIN (KXAN) — It’s been a hot few days in Austin. Unseasonably hot.
In fact, we’re currently living through the hottest May on record.
Through May 10, the average temperature at Camp Mabry this month — when combining the high and low for each day — has been 82.0°.
Let’s put that into perspective: According to data from the National Weather Service, the “normal” average temperature for May 1-10 is 74.0°. That means this month is running a fever of 8.0° above normal.
No other May in Austin, with records dating back to 1898, has come close to being that high above normal.

Sigh. And this sort of superlative is getting repeated over and over. Imagine some CR stuff here, not that it matters, the die is cast.
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Sigh. And this sort of superlative is getting repeated over and over. Imagine some CR stuff here, not that it matters, the die is cast.

we can argue whatever the fuck we want and what's causing it. it doesn't change the fact that it's here and only going to get worse, and that we are leaving our kids a giant fucking shit sandwich.

the debate should be what the fuck can we do to reduce the size of the sandwich they have to eat or at least make it taste better.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

the debate should be what the fuck can we do to reduce the size of the sandwich they have to eat or at least make it taste better.

Yeah, no.....the only debate will be over which brand of shit spread is the superior, most American one.  It will be like the Ford v. Chevy pickup debate, only much, much dumber.  Stickers of Calvin pissing on competing jars of shit spread, the whole 9 yards.

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

we can argue whatever the fuck we want and what's causing it. it doesn't change the fact that it's here and only going to get worse, and that we are leaving our kids a giant fucking shit sandwich.

The first question you'll have to ask yourself, is how many people on this earth are you willing to part with without blinking an eye.  The second question, you do understand that the earth has been hotter and cooler than it is now repeatedly over time, even in the last 300 years.  

The fact of the matter is, conservation is paramount and much more important than prevention.   Because prevention is unrealistic and frankly, impossible, unless you find it in your heart of hearts to go ahead and kill off 40-60% of global population intentionally.    

Have fun with that exercise.