Blastfurnace 2022

Storm the Field

7 hours ago, kevwun said:

They like to forecast cooler temps a week or 10 days out and then slowly creep the temp forecast up every day until it's right back at surface of the sun temps.

I'm convinced that for the 10 day out forecast they just take the average temperature for that day of the year over the last 10 years and calculate the percent of times it rained on that particular day and call it a prediction.  It's similar to late September when they keep saying we'll get lows in the 60's that don't come until four weeks after they start predicting it.

They think they're smart and being clever, but I'm on to their bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Dumbass facebook thread is that way ---->

Is there a shitty photoshop thread as well, because they fucked that up royally.

8 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Dumbass facebook thread is that way ---->

Is there a shitty photoshop thread as well, because they fucked that up royally.

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I'm convinced that for the 10 day out forecast they just take the average temperature for that day of the year over the last 10 years and calculate the percent of times it rained on that particular day and call it a prediction.  It's similar to late September when they keep saying we'll get lows in the 60's that don't come until four weeks after they start predicting it.

They think they're smart and being clever, but I'm on to their bullshit.

How the hell do they calculate % of rain chances? I thought they already calculated it like this based on your post. 

For example, if it’s 20% chance of rain, it means out of all the days with similar temp, dew point, barometric pressure, etc, it rained 20/100 times. How the hell are they predicting it any other way? I’m too old to care about any fancy weather formulas. 

Just now, MrBig said:

How the hell do they calculate % of rain chances? I thought they already calculated it like this based on your post. 

For example, if it’s 20% chance of rain, it means out of all the days with similar temp, dew point, barometric pressure, etc, it rained 20/100 times. How the hell are they predicting it any other way? I’m too old to care about any fancy weather formulas. 

The % is really a % coverage for the area.  Which is essentially the same as your chance of getting rain.  So a DFW area news statoin says there is a 20% chance of rain they mean 20% of their viewing area will get some measurable rain.  How they do all that.....SCIENCE!

39 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

That was before the “rain chance” popped up yesterday.  I think I got about 77 drops at my house.   But the temp is glorious.   My air conditioner is prostrate before the throne tonight.  

Oh no.  That sucks.  We got about .25.  Weather this evening was marvelous 

Walk around the neighborhood this morning around 7:00 was dare I say pleasant.  The temperature was around 75 and there was a very slight breeze.  Felt like I needed to put on a jacket if I hadn't just jumped off the bike after putting in 10 miles.

Looking forward to doing that again in about three months.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets

It's supposed to be 102 in Paris on Monday and Tuesday.  I was in Europe during an intense heat wave in 2003.  It left 70K people dead.  We were pretty used to it so it didn't bother us too much. We climbed the stairs of the Eiffel Tower to the second level during the heat wave. We did change hotels as the one we had originally booked didn't have AC. 

4 minutes ago, Hate said:

It's supposed to be 102 in Paris on Monday and Tuesday.  I was in Europe during an intense heat wave in 2003.  It left 70K people dead.  We were pretty used to it so it didn't bother us too much. We climbed the stairs of the Eiffel Tower to the second level during the heat wave. We did change hotels as the one we had originally booked didn't have AC. 

Did people give you crazy looks?

Apparently it's 674 steps to the second level.  My wife and I both smoked at the time, so we sat on the steps every once in a while and took a smoke break. There was a decent breeze to cool us off a little bit.

• Hook 'Em 2

I’ve been more than a dozen times the first week in august. It’s the best vacation ever. Sit on the patio drinking coffee in the morning at 7A looking at the water, playing golf in the afternoon with a hoodie on at a shitty 9 hole course, and local wine and local fish in the evening. 85573c2210f8127379625f6d07bb079d.png

I lived in Portland 99-02. It’s a shithole. Nothing is air conditioned. The locals say it’s only hot about three weeks. I’m saying I only truly need a heater about three weeks a year in Texas but I have a fucking furnace. Had to special order room ac units.

Anyway we had a golf outing in August. Some of my vendors flew in from Dallas and we were dressed for Texas golf in August. It was 48 and rain, as is typical most of the rest of the year. “It’s Oregon golf so get out there!” I think a couple dudes got hypothermia. Worst day of golf I ever had.

I wonder when this will happen again?

Satan’s Storm
Texas residents in Kopperl, Texas experienced a most unusual event on June 15, 1960. A heat wave so hot as if it came from hell itself – it was named “Satan’s Storm.” It was a normal evening like any other night in Texas; when, all of sudden, a strong wind came bursting through the town with gusts up to 75 miles per hour, causing damage like knocking down trees and taking off roofs. But that was not the worst part of it. Suddenly, the temperature began rising from a comfortable 70 degrees up to 120 degrees, then on up to 130 degrees, and continued to climb as high as 140 degrees in just a few minutes. The air was so intensely hot that it made it extremely difficult for people to breathe. People became alarmed when their air conditioners stopped working because of transformers in the area getting overheated. Even the town thermometer broke! Imagine waking up to that! Some people rushed out of the house thinking that their houses were on fire and others thought it was the end of the world. Some people said it was so hot that their throats literally burned and there were parents wrapping their children in wet blankets trying to cool them down.

By morning, it was all over. The temperature was back to normal but what a “hellish” night they had to endure. Stepping outside, the residents could view the aftermath, which consisted of burnt crops as well as leaves on the trees and shrubs crumbled to mere dust – it looked as though it had been set on fire. We now know this to be what is called a heat burst, which is descending air that warms really fast because of atmospheric compression.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, Hate said:

Apparently it's 674 steps to the second level.  My wife and I both smoked at the time, so we sat on the steps every once in a while and took a smoke break. There was a decent breeze to cool us off a little bit.

My son and his two boys made that climb in 2014. 
My English friend invited them to stay at his old French farmhouse in Chaillac for a month, then they spent a week exploring Paris.

74209937-B4FC-4F03-B9C2-15C73576D072.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 9

2 hours ago, Ten Bears said:

I wonder when this will happen again?

Satan’s Storm
Texas residents in Kopperl, Texas experienced a most unusual event on June 15, 1960. A heat wave so hot as if it came from hell itself – it was named “Satan’s Storm.” It was a normal evening like any other night in Texas; when, all of sudden, a strong wind came bursting through the town with gusts up to 75 miles per hour, causing damage like knocking down trees and taking off roofs. But that was not the worst part of it. Suddenly, the temperature began rising from a comfortable 70 degrees up to 120 degrees, then on up to 130 degrees, and continued to climb as high as 140 degrees in just a few minutes. The air was so intensely hot that it made it extremely difficult for people to breathe. People became alarmed when their air conditioners stopped working because of transformers in the area getting overheated. Even the town thermometer broke! Imagine waking up to that! Some people rushed out of the house thinking that their houses were on fire and others thought it was the end of the world. Some people said it was so hot that their throats literally burned and there were parents wrapping their children in wet blankets trying to cool them down.

By morning, it was all over. The temperature was back to normal but what a “hellish” night they had to endure. Stepping outside, the residents could view the aftermath, which consisted of burnt crops as well as leaves on the trees and shrubs crumbled to mere dust – it looked as though it had been set on fire. We now know this to be what is called a heat burst, which is descending air that warms really fast because of atmospheric compression.

That sounds hellish, indeed.  Hopefully it will not happen again.

Our AC’s number came up this morning. Up to 80 in here now but did at least just get a call from the tech saying he’s on the way. It’s actually not so bad, but really hoping it doesn’t drag out. Don’t want to be trying to sleep in an 85-90 degree house.

I think it is a capacitor issue - the condenser fan does not run; tried turning the system off, flipping the breaker, and restarting with no luck. Heard the typical clicking sound like it was trying to fire up after I reset it but the fan never started. Anyone know if that’s the kind of thing they can fix quickly once they get here (if that is the case)? Or are we going to be waiting days for parts?

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Our AC’s number came up this morning. Up to 80 in here now but did at least just get a call from the tech saying he’s on the way. It’s actually not so bad, but really hoping it doesn’t drag out. Don’t want to be trying to sleep in an 85-90 degree house.

I think it is a capacitor issue - the condenser fan does not run; tried turning the system off, flipping the breaker, and restarting with no luck. Heard the typical clicking sound like it was trying to fire up after I reset it but the fan never started. Anyone know if that’s the kind of thing they can fix quickly once they get here (if that is the case)? Or are we going to be waiting days for parts?

Assuming that it is a capacitor, and sounds like it is, it is a very quick fix. They should have what they need in the truck.  IMO, its a really good idea for everyone to have a couple on hand to do the replacement themselves.  Pretty easy to diagnosis and fix, but you can't just grab one off the shelf at Home Depot. 

On 7/16/2022 at 10:30 PM, Hate said:

I think that in this case (and also in similar heat-related death upticks in the states), most of the dead were older people in less safe neighborhoods. The heat goes up, but they’re afraid to open their windows (because of crime), and so it gets even hotter in their apartments (because, no AC, because they’re poor). These heat waves really are hell on people living on the margins in even developed countries. 

On 7/16/2022 at 10:30 PM, Hate said:

Good lord, the smell on the Metro in normal summer weather is unbearable...

42 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I keep hearing mention of "heat wave" here. This isn't a wave. Waves come and go. It's just been a +10 degree hotter summer. 

Yup - this is historically unprecedented at least since we've been able to use modern instrumentation to record the temperature.  Its really screwed up.

11 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Yup - this is historically unprecedented at least since we've been able to use modern instrumentation to record the temperature.  Its really screwed up.

Ah, well. I'm sure it will just go away on its own.

2 hours ago, statsman said:

I think that in this case (and also in similar heat-related death upticks in the states), most of the dead were older people in less safe neighborhoods. The heat goes up, but they’re afraid to open their windows (because of crime), and so it gets even hotter in their apartments (because, no AC, because they’re poor). These heat waves really are hell on people living on the margins in even developed countries. 

It was also compounded by the fact that it was August when a lost of Europeans leave for vacation.  There were many elderly family left behind during the worst of the heat wave. 

Highs tomorrow in London and Paris: 102 and 106.  A buttload of people are going to die.

And as bad as the summer of 2011 was, I don't recall it being THIS bad.  The 102-104 degree highs are unrelenting, they go back for 45 days, and the forecast seems endless with them repeating.  It's goddamned unlivable.

18 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Assuming that it is a capacitor, and sounds like it is, it is a very quick fix. They should have what they need in the truck.  IMO, its a really good idea for everyone to have a couple on hand to do the replacement themselves.  Pretty easy to diagnosis and fix, but you can't just grab one off the shelf at Home Depot

used to be you could buy them at Hamilton Electric on east Airport, i don't know if they've changed since covid.  Amazon works too but it's a couple days with prime.  

42 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Highs tomorrow in London and Paris: 102 and 106.  A buttload of people are going to die.

And as bad as the summer of 2011 was, I don't recall it being THIS bad.  The 102-104 degree highs are unrelenting, they go back for 45 days, and the forecast seems endless with them repeating.  It's goddamned unlivable.

PNW is the only escape and even they've hit 100+ these last few years.

45 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I do not envy these guys.

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Yep.  That 116 in Portland will kill your ass just as dead with no A/C.  Honestly, even if I moved somewhere with a goal of "the temps aren't as bad, you usually don't need A/C," I'd have a decent window unit on standby to make at least one room of my house livable during the guaranteed freakish heatwaves.

Just like I now have a generator and a radiator heater so we can use our downstairs living area (which also has a fireplace) as a lifeboat when the power inevitably goes out next big winter storm we have.

We can no longer rely on or expect "average" weather conditions.  We live in a world of extremes now.  It's all my grandkids are going to know.  And honestly, even my kids really won't have a memory of the before times.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Edit: I'm a poor reader.

This year has so far been moderate with cooling temps at night on the few 'high' days that most on this thread would laugh/cry at.

Edited by MC Fresh Breath
need more coffee
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Honestly, even if I moved somewhere with a goal of "the temps aren't as bad, you usually don't need A/C," I'd have a decent window unit on standby to make at least one room of my house livable during the guaranteed freakish heatwaves.

House I bought here had no AC installed.  Got the you don't need it from some, some who smiled with that 'good luck' smile.  Wanted the house/area bad enough to not care.   The first summer was fine.  Maybe about one week where I would have enjoyed AC, but still nothing any Texan couldn't deal with.  Last summer's heat wave changed my mind on that and AC was finally installed last November.  And of course, we've had a typical PNW moderate summer this year (so far).   No serious fires/smoke near us so far this year, either, unlike during the heat wave of last year.

anyway, yeah.  If you do move, never trust the 'you usually don't need it' crowd.  You do.

Wife and I booked our annual Colorado trip this weekend. Heading up to Aspen with a side trip to Crested Butte late next week.

We usually schedule this trip in late August or early September, but with the way things are looking lately, can't get out of Texas fast enough. God I can't wait to wake up to mid-50's that first morning.

I feel for y’all. I couldn’t handle the kind of heat y’all are dealing with anymore. My mom in Abilene says it’s been miserable. 

That being said, here’s a glimmer of hope. The worm has definitely turned temperature wise up here. Hopefully the cooler air will make it’s way South soon. 

Temp on my way to work this morning. 

36CE8BDB-D88E-470F-8A5D-D7EDC48E67B8.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, mooseoutfront said:

I feel for y’all. I couldn’t handle the kind of heat y’all are dealing with anymore. My mom in Abilene says it’s been miserable. 

That being said, here’s a glimmer of hope. The worm has definitely turned temperature wise up here. Hopefully the cooler air will make it’s way South soon. 

Temp on my way to work this morning. 

36CE8BDB-D88E-470F-8A5D-D7EDC48E67B8.jpeg

fu middle finger GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Wife and I booked our annual Colorado trip this weekend. Heading up to Aspen with a side trip to Crested Butte late next week.

We usually schedule this trip in late August or early September, but with the way things are looking lately, can't get out of Texas fast enough. God I can't wait to wake up to mid-50's that first morning.

My youngest son just finished a 3 day horse trail trip in Wyoming. Said the Temps were in the mid 80's during the afternoon and 50's in the mornings. They are heading down to Colorado for a few more days of camping before returning back home to the Texas heat.

He spent the first half of the summer playing summer baseball so the 85/50 temperature was a nice break.

Just walked a couple of blocks to grab something for lunch.  The walk over, and the first few minutes of waiting for my order in the shade, I'm thinking "okay, it's hot, but I can deal."  After another 5 minutes, my thoughts were "nope....it's f'n hot, get me my food and I'm going back to eat in the A/C."

We've always had some 100 degree days in the summer.  What's changing is that now, ALL of the days are 100+.