Blastfurnace 2022

Storm the Field

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Highs tomorrow in London and Paris: 102 and 106.  A buttload of people are going to die.

And as bad as the summer of 2011 was, I don't recall it being THIS bad.  The 102-104 degree highs are unrelenting, they go back for 45 days, and the forecast seems endless with them repeating.  It's goddamned unlivable.

It’s hot as shit here right now, 97f at 7pm now. Tomorrow will be hotter. I’m lucky in that my office has great air con and at home we have 2 portable units for the living room and bedroom.  It’s actually not bad for us but lots of people are uncomfortable now. Will all be over in 24 hours though.

Just now, Doug E. Fresh said:

It’s hot as shit here right now, 97f at 7pm now. Tomorrow will be hotter. I’m lucky in that my office has great air con and at home we have 2 portable units for the living room and bedroom.  It’s actually not bad for us but lots of people are uncomfortable now. Will all be over in 24 hours though.

Just like "shhh, it'll all be over soon" doesn't exactly comfort a rape victim in mid-rape, your words bring little solace to the euros who have never experienced triple digit heat in their lives.  It's just pure suck.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Just like "shhh, it'll all be over soon" doesn't exactly comfort a rape victim in mid-rape, your words bring little solace to the euros who have never experienced triple digit heat in their lives.  It's just pure suck.

Well, that’s a bizarre comparison. Not trying to bring solace or show lack of sympathy. It’s just a fact - it cools off in 24 hours….

7 minutes ago, F250 said:

My youngest son just finished a 3 day horse trail trip in Wyoming. Said the Temps were in the mid 80's during the afternoon and 50's in the mornings. They are heading down to Colorado for a few more days of camping before returning back home to the Texas heat.

He spent the first half of the summer playing summer baseball so the 85/50 temperature was a nice break.

Only drawback to going this time of year is that it's monsoon season up in the mountains. About a 50% chance of an afternoon shower just about every day for the next several weeks. Can be out riding or hiking in sunny weather, low 80's and all the sudden the wind starts whipping around, temp drops 15+ degrees and it starts dumping on you. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Just walked a couple of blocks to grab something for lunch.  The walk over, and the first few minutes of waiting for my order in the shade, I'm thinking "okay, it's hot, but I can deal."  After another 5 minutes, my thoughts were "nope....it's f'n hot, get me my food and I'm going back to eat in the A/C."

We've always had some 100 degree days in the summer.  What's changing is that now, ALL of the days are 100+.

Is it even 100 degrees yet?

8 minutes ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

Well, that’s a bizarre comparison. Not trying to bring solace or show lack of sympathy. It’s just a fact - it cools off in 24 hours….

I guess you're new to "everything signals the end of the world" Brisketexan?

Edited by Hate
forgot a parentheses
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, F250 said:

Is it even 100 degrees yet?

It's usually 3-4 degrees warmer in the immediate heat island of downtown, so I expect so.  But we've still got 5-6 degrees to go to hit our high for the day later this afternoon, I'm sure.

1 minute ago, Hate said:

I guess you're new to everything signals the end of the world" Brisketexan?

giphy.gif

Assuming that it is a capacitor, and sounds like it is, it is a very quick fix. They should have what they need in the truck.  IMO, its a really good idea for everyone to have a couple on hand to do the replacement themselves.  Pretty easy to diagnosis and fix, but you can't just grab one off the shelf at Home Depot. 

It was in fact the capacitor and they did have on hand, so problem was solved pretty quick once they arrived. Took a while to get the house down from the 83 it eventually hit, but no(t much) sweat in the end.

I generally agree with your outlook, but we rent - there’s no way I’m attempting a repair on an AC unit I don’t own.

16 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Only drawback to going this time of year is that it's monsoon season up in the mountains. About a 50% chance of an afternoon shower just about every day for the next several weeks. Can be out riding or hiking in sunny weather, low 80's and all the sudden the wind starts whipping around, temp drops 15+ degrees and it starts dumping on you. 

This is correct. Clouds form in the Rockies in the afternoon and from there it's a coin flip around potential downpour or just a brief shower.

39 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Just walked a couple of blocks to grab something for lunch.  The walk over, and the first few minutes of waiting for my order in the shade, I'm thinking "okay, it's hot, but I can deal."  After another 5 minutes, my thoughts were "nope....it's f'n hot, get me my food and I'm going back to eat in the A/C."

We've always had some 100 degree days in the summer.  What's changing is that now, ALL of the days are 100+.

And when the wind blows... yuck. Just dry, hotter air being blasted at you. 

29 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

My kids have been doing the hiking/camping thing in the mountains during the summer for a few years now.  Whether it's Colorado, New Mexico or California they always have encountered some unexpected weather issues. Usually it's rain and cold weather that gets them.

7 minutes ago, texasdago said:

I put a patio umbrella over our two condensers to try to keep them just a tad bit cooler.  You know... maybe 150 degrees instead of 155.

I go out and spray a mist in the area around it during the peak of the hottest days. Help cool that area and let it work a little easier to pull the heat out of the coolant. 

My buddy and I played golf in Houston two days in a row a few weeks ago. It was 103 outside and it was the most uncomfortable rounds of golf I've ever played.

We played yesterday at Star Ranch. It was 102 most of the round and hit 103 a couple of times and 104 once. It felt nothing like Houston. It wasn't "cool" by any stretch but it was certainly manageable.

I shot an 84, and even though Cruiser is gone now, I will report that we finished in 3:45, which is pretty damn good for Star Ranch on a Sunday.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

I played at Augusta Pines yesterday.  We teed off at just about the worst part of the day (11:30) and it was pretty dam hot.  I had to order double vodkas with my gatorade zero to ensure I stayed hydrated.  I was up and down.  I blew the fuck up on 4 holes that completely derailed my round.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hate said:

I played at Augusta Pines yesterday.  We teed off at just about the worst part of the day (11:30) and it was pretty dam hot.  I had to order double vodkas with my gatorade zero to ensure I stayed hydrated.  I was up and down.  I blew the fuck up on 4 holes that completely derailed my round.

If I play during this part of the summer, I usually tee off at 3:00.  I know for a fact that 2 of us can get a round in in about 2 hours and no more than 2.5 hours at that time of day.  It's hot as shit, but it's not as bad when 90% of the time is spent driving from one hole to the next.  Cart Polo in other words.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

My buddy and I played golf in Houston two days in a row a few weeks ago. It was 103 outside and it was the most uncomfortable rounds of golf I've ever played.

We played yesterday at Star Ranch. It was 102 most of the round and hit 103 a couple of times and 104 once. It felt nothing like Houston. It wasn't "cool" by any stretch but it was certainly manageable.

I shot an 84, and even though Cruiser is gone now, I will report that we finished in 3:45, which is pretty damn good for Star Ranch on a Sunday.

Woof. If I recall, Star Ranch doesn't have much shade right? 

48 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Woof. If I recall, Star Ranch doesn't have much shade right? 

You are correct, sir.

It is in Hutto where developers are just allowed to clear cut every tree at will.

You get very adept, very quick about how to exactly position the cart against the sun to achieve maximum shade from the tiny cart roof.

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.5066288,-97.5823666,787m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

If I play during this part of the summer, I usually tee off at 3:00.  I know for a fact that 2 of us can get a round in in about 2 hours and no more than 2.5 hours at that time of day.  It's hot as shit, but it's not as bad when 90% of the time is spent driving from one hole to the next.  Cart Polo in other words.  

A few years back La Quinta in the desert used to have a deal in July/August where you paid something like $140 for a room (that was normally like $300), but you got unlimited golf on any of the 4 championship courses.  The Norman course would run $300/round plus during the winter, but we tee'd off around 3, the last group to go before us was an hour ahead.  So me and a buddy just loaded up on ice, towels, lots of water, and had a blast.  Just kept cooling with ice towels and it wasn't too bad.  Was like 108.  The worst was going back to the room, and jumping into a pool that was about 98 degrees.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Orange&White said:

Yeah- you people in Austin complaining about 103-105 man, I’d like to introduce you to 95 in houston which is worse than what you are talking about. 
This city, which I love, is an affront to God and should not exist. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah- you people in Austin complaining about 103-105 man, I’d like to introduce you to 95 in houston which is worse than what you are talking about. 

I mean it got to 110 here. I agree Houston is miserably hot but Austin is comparable. 

When we were in Big Be d at the beginning of June it was 119 degrees in the rv lot where we stayed. That wasn’t a lot of fun and it kept tripping the breakers and shutting down the AC. 
the thing about it was- at 9:00 at night when it was 104 degrees it seemed perfectly comfortable and reasonable to drink beer in the shade- I don’t think it hardly bothered me at all. 

On my RV trip the most miserable time of all temperature wise was August in Maine. Yea Maine. It was about 89 degrees and just humid as all hell. Couldn’t hardly deal. 
fast forward 3 weeks and we went hiking for like 7 or 8 miles in North Dakota, where it was like 95 with no humidity. 
we got lost and hitch hiked back to the truck. The nice coupe from Minnesota picked us up and was very concerned for our welfare being out in that oppressive heat. My 5 year old had done 7 miles that day (backpack full of water of course). Whenever we sat down in the shade it was more or less pleasant. None of us were a mess the way we are walking to the mailbox at home at 9:30 in the morning. 
TL/DR- it’s not the heat it’s the humidity. As long as there is less than 40% or so humidity and it stays under 108 or so it’s bearable in the shade. 
Also- Houston sucks. 

108 is hot- that’s my over under on when humidity stops mattering. 
Out of curiosity what was the humidity on the 110 degree day? 

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I mean it got to 110 here. I agree Houston is miserably hot but Austin is comparable. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

9 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

When we were in Big Be d at the beginning of June it was 119 degrees in the rv lot where we stayed. That wasn’t a lot of fun and it kept tripping the breakers and shutting down the AC. 
the thing about it was- at 9:00 at night when it was 104 degrees it seemed perfectly comfortable and reasonable to drink beer in the shade- I don’t think it hardly bothered me at all. 

On my RV trip the most miserable time of all temperature wise was August in Maine. Yea Maine. It was about 89 degrees and just humid as all hell. Couldn’t hardly deal. 
fast forward 3 weeks and we went hiking for like 7 or 8 miles in North Dakota, where it was like 95 with no humidity. 
we got lost and hitch hiked back to the truck. The nice coupe from Minnesota picked us up and was very concerned for our welfare being out in that oppressive heat. My 5 year old had done 7 miles that day (backpack full of water of course). Whenever we sat down in the shade it was more or less pleasant. None of us were a mess the way we are walking to the mailbox at home at 9:30 in the morning. 
TL/DR- it’s not the heat it’s the humidity. As long as there is less than 40% or so humidity and it stays under 108 or so it’s bearable in the shade. 
Also- Houston sucks. 

My weather station only got to 108, but the feels like was 117. Humidity was 40%

edit to add, it was 80% 3 hours prior. Heat really knocked it down.

Edited by UnivTex34
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Orange&White said:

You are correct, sir.

It is in Hutto where developers are just allowed to clear cut every tree at will.

You get very adept, very quick about how to exactly position the cart against the sun to achieve maximum shade from the tiny cart roof.

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.5066288,-97.5823666,787m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Damn that's 18 holes of nonstop sun in the peak of the day. I would have stayed behind at the clubhouse after 9 and pounded cold beers in the AC

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Orange&White said:

My buddy broke an apartment window while we were playing Star Ranch a couple years ago, so this hits close to home.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Also- Houston sucks. 

This is pedantic, but humidty is relative. Warmer air holds more water. As I type this right now the humidty is 57% in Houston, because it's 88 degrees. Even the nastiest Houston summer days are below 50% humidity during the heat of the day.

If you want to gauge how humid it feels outside, look at the dew point. That is the temperature at which relative humidty would be 100% and water would start condensing. The higher that number, the more moisture in the air. Below 60 is solid. Below 45-50 is noticeably dry air. Climbing into the 60's starts to feel progressively muggier. high 60'sand especially into the 70's is where it starts to feel oppressive. The dew point in Houston is a tropical 72 degrees right now, which is why I was sweating walkiing the dog at "only" 57% humidity.

As I recall, the heat index in Austin early last week where it was 110+, and Houston where it was 105-106, were essentially identical.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

This is pedantic, but humidty is relative. Warmer air holds more water. As I type this right now the humidty is 57% in Houston, because it's 88 degrees. Even the nastiest Houston summer days are below 50% humidity during the heat of the day.

If you want to gauge how humid it feels outside, look at the dew point. That is the temperature at which relative humidty would be 100% and water would start condensing. The higher that number, the more moisture in the air. Below 60 is solid. Below 45-50 is noticeably dry air. Climbing into the 60's starts to feel progressively muggier. high 60'sand especially into the 70's is where it starts to feel oppressive. The dew point in Houston is a tropical 72 degrees right now, which is why I was sweating walkiing the dog at "only" 57% humidity.

As I recall, the heat index in Austin early last week where it was 110+, and Houston where it was 105-106, were essentially identical.

That’s why it doesn’t usually hit 100 in houston, because it’s too humid, right?  
I swear the 95 degree high humidity days are the worst here. 
Biggest difference to my way of thinking is that shad does not feel like it matters. Feels as bad as anywhere else. 

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That’s why it doesn’t usually hit 100 in houston, because it’s too humid, right?  
I swear the 95 degree high humidity days are the worst here. 
Biggest difference to my way of thinking is that shad does not feel like it matters. Feels as bad as anywhere else. 

Yes, that's why 100 degree days in Houston feel so hellish. It takes A LOT of energy from the sun to heat air with this much moisture to 100 degrees.

This was one of the worst days in Austin last year. I'm not sure it got above 95. 

On 6/21/2021 at 1:34 PM, ztejas said:

I've rarely seen the feels like this high compared to the temp. Just brutal.

20210621_133253.jpg

The dew point is 76 fucking degrees. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Repost from previous page

image.jpeg.d7f984e18ed6d3a1aaf673edb566c429.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 3

I’ve always heard about the summer of 1980. I was 16, that year, and didn’t really notice (taking drivers Ed in the morning and working at Mr. Gattis in the evening). I think 2022 will be the new pacesetter for hot summers. 

Wasn’t 1980 also a cold year. Maybe 1981. It was a long time ago! A friend of my father drove his ford bronco on to the river of caddo lake in NE texas.

26 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Yes, that's why 100 degree days in Houston feel so hellish. It takes A LOT of energy from the sun to heat air with this much moisture to 100 degrees.

Pretty sure the heat index here was 119 the other day. Maybe I dreamed it in my head. I have discovered I hate humidity and that’s my real nemesis the past couple years. 

17 hours ago, Hate said:

This is a stupid post.  La Nina and El Nino generally affect global regions differently.

17 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

And I didn't mean to direct this towards 4th&Five.  The "stupid" comment is for the tweeter.  Tweets like this do more harm than good because it gives other stupid people fodder for their stance.  La Nina is a cooling of the sea temps in the Central Pacific.  It has little to no impact or Europe.  Take the time to do a little research before you post something so stupid.

Edited by Hate

17 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Sorry but I am not buying a round in 2 hours bullshit.

That means you are playing each hole at a 7 minute average without waiting for another group on any hole and that does not include the driving time between holes.

No way.

Edited by Steamboat1874
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

That means you are playing each hole at a 7 minute average without waiting for another group on any hole and that does not include the driving time between holes.

No way.

Easily accomplished if the course is wide open and you are only a single/twosome. I watched a single play a full 18 in 1:35 at Legends in Kingsland about 6 weeks ago, and he had to play through groups.

We let him him play through us on the third hole and he was finishing the 18th as we made the turn.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

No way.

It's absolutely possible.  When it's 105 outside, not many people are playing golf.  You don't need 2-3 warmup swings for every shot because you're not waiting around for groups in front of you.  90% of the round is spent in the cart and on the green.   You can basically play as fast as you can drive to your next shot, and if you're having a good day, 2 hours is easily doable.  I've done it dozens of times over the years.  

Edited by Trey3216