Blastfurnace 2022

Storm the Field

25 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

It's absolutely possible.  When it's 105 outside, not many people are playing golf.  You don't need 2-3 warmup swings for every shot because you're not waiting around for groups in front of you.  90% of the round is spent in the cart and on the green.   You can basically play as fast as you can drive to your next shot, and if you're having a good day, 2 hours is easily doable.  I've done it dozens of times over the years.  

The best I have done on my course is about 2 hours and 10 minutes but that is on a weekday (pre covid when everyone else was actually working and I had the course to myself) so 2 hours is definitely possible.  

And I didn't mean to direct this towards 4th&Five.  The "stupid" comment is for the tweeter.  Tweets like this do more harm than good because it gives other stupid people fodder for their stance.  La Nina is a cooling of the sea temps in the Central Pacific.  It has little to no impact or Europe.  Take the time to do a little research before you post something so stupid.

I'VE DONE MY OWN RESEARCH!!!!
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

not a big deal, it's temporary, the weather is not the climate

How did this absurd quote sneak through?

This crap is happening on an annual basis now...

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/earth-hasnt-warmed-this-fast-in-tens-of-millions-of-years/

Also just published (this is a PDF) - https://www.ametsoc.org/ams/assets/File/aboutams/statements_pdf/AMS_Statement-EPA-2(1).pdf

• Hook 'Em 2

Easily accomplished if the course is wide open and you are only a single/twosome. I watched a single play a full 18 in 1:35 at Legends in Kingsland about 6 weeks ago, and he had to play through groups.
We let him him play through us on the third hole and he was finishing the 18th as we made the turn.

I love Legends! That’s is a great track as is Delaware Springs…Lighthouse, not so much.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

It's absolutely possible.  When it's 105 outside, not many people are playing golf.  You don't need 2-3 warmup swings for every shot because you're not waiting around for groups in front of you.  90% of the round is spent in the cart and on the green.   You can basically play as fast as you can drive to your next shot, and if you're having a good day, 2 hours is easily doable.  I've done it dozens of times over the years.  

we used to play 27-36 in 4 hours all the time in the summer during high school.  we were good, and when it's 105 outside not like you need to hit a lot of warm up shots.  Most of golf in a 4 hour round is absolutely waiting on the dickhead in front of you to clear out of the way or the moron in your group to find his ball and get his ass ready.  Pull your clubs, putter and wedge around the green be ready to go etc.  It wasn't like we were running or anything, just hit the fucking shot and move on.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Fuck it, I'm moving to Dublin. Hit their "all time high" of (squints) 91 but it's already down to 71. Tomorrow's high is a scorching 68.

I went on a vacation there back in August 2018. One day of the trip, the sun actually came out and the temperature crept up to 80 or so. It seemed like the entire city took the day off to go hang out/picnic in the city parks. Some locals told me that the a dead giveaway that somebody was an American tourist (aside from being fat and wearing a baseball hat) was going out in public in a pair of shorts. 

I joke, but with every passing year, I become more and more determined not to spend all year living in Texas. I've got to eventually end up somewhere with legitimate contrasts between the seasons. I'm tired of the years where it's 90 on Halloween, 82 on Thanksgiving and 74 on Christmas. I don't mind being somewhere that's hot-ish on summer days as long as it's dry and cools down below 70 in the evenings and early mornings.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Sorry but I am not buying a round in 2 hours bullshit.

That means you are playing each hole at a 7 minute average without waiting for another group on any hole and that does not include the driving time between holes.

No way.

Two weeks ago, I played our local course in 1 hour and 45 minutes.  I was one of three groups on the course when I tee'd off on Sunday afternoon at 3 PM.  I was back in my truck at 4:45 headed home.  Shot an 82 and never broke a sweat in 100 heat.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

image.png.903cf6d7ce204501a79d4a16adc0f400.png

Have until about August 8-9 until the daily averages start to drop. Have until October 2 until the record high is no longer more than 100.

We can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Unfortunately, that light is just the sun moving closer to us.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

18 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Have until about August 8-9 until the daily averages start to drop. Have until October 2 until the record high is no longer more than 100.

We can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Unfortunately, that light is just the sun moving closer to us.

How many 100 degree days do we have under our belt so far?  Something like 5 in May, 27 in June, and 17 in July?  That would put us at 49 days over 100.  The all time record is 2011, with 90 days over 100.  Second place is 69 days....we'll be blowing past that one.  Shit, the 10-day forecast is all 100*, so we're damn near at 60 when we hit August.  We could top 2011's total number, if August is 30 days of 100 degree days (which at this point, why wouldn't it be?)

F.  This.  Shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Cody2422 said:

Two weeks ago, I played our local course in 1 hour and 45 minutes.  I was one of three groups on the course when I tee'd off on Sunday afternoon at 3 PM.  I was back in my truck at 4:45 headed home.  Shot an 82 and never broke a sweat in 100 heat.  

The Last Word No GIF by MSNBC

10 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Yep. Got a good 2 months to go before it makes any sense to start hoping for that first cool front. September 20th is about the average day over the past 125  years that Central and East Texas sees its first temperature reading of 65 or below. On the extremes it has come as early as 8/30 or as late as 10/13, but typically it arrives the 3rd or 4th week of September. With the way our luck has gone this summer, we'll probably set a new record (not in a good way).

Right now, the daily average highs and lows stay the same for over a week at a time. Gotta wait until late August to get an average temp drop in less than 5 days.

Only real difference you'll notice over the next few weeks is the days getting shorter, which I guess at least means the extreme afternoon highs subside a little quicker. Currently only losing less than a minute sunlight or so each day, but that will start picking up steam. By this time next month, sunrise will be a minute later and sunset a minute earlier each day, more or less.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cody2422 said:

csb

25 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

How many 100 degree days do we have under our belt so far?  Something like 5 in May, 27 in June, and 17 in July?  That would put us at 49 days over 100.  The all time record is 2011, with 90 days over 100.  Second place is 69 days....we'll be blowing past that one.  Shit, the 10-day forecast is all 100*, so we're damn near at 60 when we hit August.  We could top 2011's total number, if August is 30 days of 100 degree days (which at this point, why wouldn't it be?)

F.  This.  Shit.

For "Austin Area" (which I assume is Mabry), I count (https://www.weather.gov/wrh/climate?wfo=ewx):

May: 1
June: 21
July: 17

So a total of 39 days of 100+. There's also been plenty in the 97-99 range.

70% of June days were above 100. So far, 89% of July days are over 100. No idea what will happen, but say that the rest of July and August are 75% at 100 degrees+, and that's another 32 days. That puts us at 71 days.

That 75% estimate could be too low, and that doesn't count September. 

33 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Yep. Got a good 2 months to go before it makes any sense to start hoping for that first cool front. September 20th is about the average day over the past 125  years that Central and East Texas sees its first temperature reading of 65 or below. On the extremes it has come as early as 8/30 or as late as 10/13, but typically it arrives the 3rd or 4th week of September. With the way our luck has gone this summer, we'll probably set a new record (not in a good way).

Right now, the daily average highs and lows stay the same for over a week at a time. Gotta wait until late August to get an average temp drop in less than 5 days.

Only real difference you'll notice over the next few weeks is the days getting shorter, which I guess at least means the extreme afternoon highs subside a little quicker. Currently only losing less than a minute sunlight or so each day, but that will start picking up steam. By this time next month, sunrise will be a minute later and sunset a minute earlier each day, more or less.

I am looking forward to my 99-degree dog walks beginning at 730 pm rather than 8.

21 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Dude, walk them in the morning.  It's too damn hot to do it at night.  The air temp, but especially the pavement.

Oh I do that as well, but our doberman starts to get a little stir crazy when she's been stuck inside for 12 hours.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, tigol said:

I wonder what could be different now vs. when I was a kid.

Umm it’s approximately 2 degrees hotter than it was 150 years ago.  Really it’s just we are all pussies now with echo chambers to reinforce our pussiness 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Fuck it, I'm moving to Dublin. Hit their "all time high" of (squints) 91 but it's already down to 71. Tomorrow's high is a scorching 68.

I went on a vacation there back in August 2018. One day of the trip, the sun actually came out and the temperature crept up to 80 or so. It seemed like the entire city took the day off to go hang out/picnic in the city parks. Some locals told me that the a dead giveaway that somebody was an American tourist (aside from being fat and wearing a baseball hat) was going out in public in a pair of shorts. 

I joke, but with every passing year, I become more and more determined not to spend all year living in Texas. I've got to eventually end up somewhere with legitimate contrasts between the seasons. I'm tired of the years where it's 90 on Halloween, 82 on Thanksgiving and 74 on Christmas. I don't mind being somewhere that's hot-ish on summer days as long as it's dry and cools down below 70 in the evenings and early mornings.

Earth's population is just gonna have to write off the land between the 45°N and 30°S parallels.

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

F.  This.  Shit.

As of Saturday we were 5 days ahead of the 2011 100 degree day pace.

3 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

1 hour ago, Cody2422 said:

Umm it’s approximately 2 degrees hotter than it was 150 years ago.  Really it’s just we are all pussies now with echo chambers to reinforce our pussiness 

image.png.18779ace81261b1ab8db07acec5b2f40.png

30 years ago, kids had it a lot easier in July. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, tigol said:

I wonder what could be different now vs. when I was a kid.

Parents made their kids get out of the house every day?  I have a 13 year old that goes fishing every day or plays basketball at the park.  He takes water with him and stays hydrated.  He's fine.  All kids these days would be just fine too.

Edited by Hate
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1