Blastfurnace 2022

Storm the Field

On 7/18/2022 at 1:12 PM, Storm the Field said:

Only drawback to going this time of year is that it's monsoon season up in the mountains. About a 50% chance of an afternoon shower just about every day for the next several weeks. Can be out riding or hiking in sunny weather, low 80's and all the sudden the wind starts whipping around, temp drops 15+ degrees and it starts dumping on you. 

Right on cue.

aspen.jpg.f258c34486b38d6552653ae8ceac820d.jpg

I guess I'll survive.

41 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Meh, go get a beer and head to the river. 

I was standing on a tarmac one day in southern Afghanistan and could smell my boots melting. That was fun. 

Similar thing happened to my kid's turf shoes during a summer baseball tournament back in 2011. The astroturf was radiating some serious heat.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

So we have dudes on here trying to "out badass" a girl w/.....softball stories?  hahaha, whooo you boys are made up of that aggy ruff stuff, real tuff, jizz jar mojo. 

Hooo, boy.  I may have had a couple last night and let the heat get to me.  

Looks like I went after some DT climate change deniers with my credentials and softball.  What a world.

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, bolverk said:

I don't give much credence to long term outlooks past the 8-14 day, other than yeah, this summer has trended hot and no reason to see it cool down anytime soon. To see a big "hotter than normal" over the favorite landing spot of tropical weather during the month of August gives me pause. One storm could essentially knock this forecast on its butt.

9 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

If anyone wants some depression, just think that if today was August 22 instead of July 22, we'd still have about another month of this shit.

Something Something the tilt of the earth. - PhD Horn

• Haha 1

Live near CR 261 and 3405 in Georgetown. Were in the first group under mandatory evacuation for the 500acre wildfire that popped up yesterday near the lake. Were directly north of the fire and it was not looking good last night. Wasn’t sure we’d be coming back to a house today, but the crews working the fire did some insane work out there to get it under control.

This summer can go fuck itself.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, texhorn said:

Live near CR 261 and 3405 in Georgetown. Were in the first group under mandatory evacuation for the 500acre wildfire that popped up yesterday near the lake. Were directly north of the fire and it was not looking good last night. Wasn’t sure we’d be coming back to a house today, but the crews working the fire did some insane work out there to get it under control.

They had a ton of planes out there. I live near Jim Hogg and they were passing over me on their path to pick up water from the lake. Wild shit. 

On 7/24/2022 at 3:57 PM, texhorn said:

Dammit, glad the houses escaped, but that's one of my main hiking destinations and trails are closed until further notice.