Blastfurnace 2022

5 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Fucking Hell. "Global warming isn't real" said some stupid motherfucker.

Top 5 hottest Julys, Austin.

1923 (outlier)

db612298-dee9-49eb-862d-184a8aaad6a6_750

Yeah.....this fucking sucks.  Until 2009 or so, 1980 was my benchmark for "hottest summer ever, really unusual."  Now.....the hottest summer ever looks like it will perpetually be two summers: this summer, and wait till you experience next summer.  

Summer of 2011, I told my kids they could take perverse pride in having lived through what was literally the hottest summer in Austin history.  Now, we're just going to beat that every few years.  My son has a friend in from overseas (and not exactly a cool climate place)....their activities have been sharply limited by the fact that it's just too motherfucking hot to do a damn thing outside for much of the day.

The reality is that Austin is becoming as unlivable in the summer as Buffalo, NY is in the winter.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah.....this fucking sucks.  Until 2009 or so, 1980 was my benchmark for "hottest summer ever, really unusual."  Now.....the hottest summer ever looks like it will perpetually be two summers: this summer, and wait till you experience next summer.  

Summer of 2011, I told my kids they could take perverse pride in having lived through what was literally the hottest summer in Austin history.  Now, we're just going to beat that every few years.  My son has a friend in from overseas (and not exactly a cool climate place)....their activities have been sharply limited by the fact that it's just too motherfucking hot to do a damn thing outside for much of the day.

The reality is that Austin is becoming as unlivable in the summer as Buffalo, NY is in the winter.

Not just Austin. Many places are becoming unlivable. In addition to the heat, many parts of the world are also experiencing historic droughts. Europe, South America, Africa (when isn't Africa in a drought), Asia, and of course draw a line from North Dakota straight down to Texas and everything West of that line is in & has been in a severe drought. 

The world is becoming unlivable. I cannot imagine what our grandkids are going to have to try to live through. By then, the old shitheads making or not making the right long term decisions will be dead. Fuck the future generations. The olds now got to live in luxury.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

maybe i am gigantic wuss.. but i feel like i have spent more time indoors this summer than ever before. There will be Saturdays or Sundays where I literally never stepped foot outdoors.

Maybe i am just becoming a recluse in my 50s.. guess i will test that theory come Nov, Dec, Jan.

1 minute ago, yoladu said:

maybe i am gigantic wuss.. but i feel like i have spent more time indoors this summer than ever before. There will be Saturdays or Sundays where I literally never stepped foot outdoors.

Maybe i am just becoming a recluse in my 50s.. guess i will test that theory come Nov, Dec, Jan.

I step outside each morning to water the garden, and as soon as I come back in I realize that I don't want to step outside again until the sun goes down. It's fucking miserable. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, yoladu said:

On the weekends, I will walk the dog at 7:30 or 8am and not go back outside until 8:30 or 9pm for another walk.  With a single 90 seconds or less trip out for an afternoon piss before he's panting as if we walked a mile down the driveway instead of 30 feet. 

It's fucking awful.

I water the garden in the morning and then usually take a walk... but I also mix in walks and bike rides in the day and usually something like a pool, Barton Springs, whatever. I go absolutely stir crazy staying in the house too long so I'll deal with the heat just to not go nuts.  I'd rather suffer the heat than sit inside on my ass.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, texasdago said:

I water the garden in the morning and then usually take a walk... but I also mix in walks and bike rides in the day and usually something like a pool, Barton Springs, whatever. I go absolutely stir crazy staying in the house too long so I'll deal with the heat just to not go nuts.  I'd rather suffer the heat than sit inside on my ass.

Work outside all morning. Go to the river when I can. Work inside for the afternoon. Dinner on the patio. Playing trivia tonight at an outdoor bar. 

Yeah, it is hot, but with some thought I still go out all I can. 

• Like 1

My granddaughter just moved into her tiny but newly renovated one bedroom condo in north Austin Saturday.

Her boyfriend & his crew of friends moved it all.

Her uncle (my #2 son) took three months gut renovating the place - all new cabinets, interior doors, plumbing fixtures, electrics, wall & ceilng surfaces, & appliances.They had the plush carpet installed.

A31C9017-035B-45EC-9CDA-A60207DEF8EA.jpeg

A62EFC9C-A578-491B-A6DB-73C0C9B3987F.jpeg

E483F269-D074-47FB-A426-774A025501CB.jpeg

4D943D4E-3721-44BD-A6CC-53FB4D2A4534.jpeg

8E4AB145-52DA-4884-8164-0474F3223CB3.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

16 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Neat.  Was it hot as shit?  You know, to fit the thread.

I was primarily responding to Bamachick.

The condo has a new HVAC, so she kept it cranked down to 70 to cool the sweaty dudes off. Carrying the furniture and a bunch of boxes up to the second floor was all done by 10am.
I offered to carry the pillows upstairs, but she had it covered.

Edited by Armybrat

7 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

I step outside each morning to water the garden, and as soon as I come back in I realize that I don't want to step outside again until the sun goes down. It's fucking miserable. 

The last couple of summers I would do a workout then sit outside in the shade for a while to catch my breath and chill for a bit pretty much ever day. This year I have done it twice.  Two fucking times because it’s fucking miserable. 

5 hours ago, Armybrat said:

My granddaughter just moved into her tiny but newly renovated one bedroom condo in north Austin Saturday.

Her boyfriend & his crew of friends moved it all.

Her uncle (my #2 son) took three months gut renovating the place - all new cabinets, interior doors, plumbing fixtures, electrics, wall & ceilng surfaces, & appliances.They had the plush carpet installed.

A31C9017-035B-45EC-9CDA-A60207DEF8EA.jpeg

A62EFC9C-A578-491B-A6DB-73C0C9B3987F.jpeg

E483F269-D074-47FB-A426-774A025501CB.jpeg

4D943D4E-3721-44BD-A6CC-53FB4D2A4534.jpeg

8E4AB145-52DA-4884-8164-0474F3223CB3.jpeg

Welcome to Austin Grey. When are you posting pictures? In black and white of course! 

I used to get shipped to the ranch as a wee-lad every summer.  No AC at g-parents, box fans everywhere.  Spent every day with "pa" (rancher and a carpenter) with his jobs, etc.  Learned why he always wore paper-thin pearl snaps and a hat.  Drank a lot of water.  Opened a lot of gates.  Chased a lot of cows.  Sat in the shade a lot.  Spent a lot of time chasing down "left-handed hammers" and "board stretchers".....

Every night g-ma would tuck me in with a fan and a sheet as a cover and she'd sprinkle water over the sheet and the fan would really cool you down.  

I work from home FT now, so I try to get outside as much as I can to stay acclimated.  This heat sucks, but I can manage easier than extreme cold.  

• Hook 'Em 4

9 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

The last couple of summers I would do a workout then sit outside in the shade for a while to catch my breath and chill for a bit pretty much ever day. This year I have done it twice.  Two fucking times because it’s fucking miserable. 

I "ruck" almost every day.  Lots of hills near the house, so every now and then I'll go mid-day just to see how long I can go.  Usually bow out after 30-45 minutes.  It's rough.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, InkaUtexas said:

Yep, I hit a local park a few times a week with a 30 pound bag and a ton of water. Dog loves it and so do I. Where I live means I can walk almost anywhere I need. The heat I can handle. Cold makes me want to stay on the couch with a book and say fuck going outside. 

lol, same

17 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Work outside all morning. Go to the river when I can. Work inside for the afternoon. Dinner on the patio. Playing trivia tonight at an outdoor bar. 

Yeah, it is hot, but with some thought I still go out all I can. 

Yup... that's it.  I'm also not at the point of eating indoors that much because of the latest spike in cases so if the family wants to go out to eat, we're going to be sitting in a shaded patio... really rare we eat inside which is a PITA.  Went to Bar Peached the other night... we were fine on the patio with fans/misters and I like patios more than the indoors anyway.  Inside was jam packed.  Now, when winter comes, that's going to suck again.  I'd rather sweat than shiver.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

I "ruck" almost every day.  Lots of hills near the house, so every now and then I'll go mid-day just to see how long I can go.  Usually bow out after 30-45 minutes.  It's rough.  

41 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Yep, I hit a local park a few times a week with a 30 pound bag and a ton of water. Dog loves it and so do I. Where I live means I can walk almost anywhere I need. The heat I can handle. Cold makes me want to stay on the couch with a book and say fuck going outside. 

I prefer the cold myself, but what do yall use to ruck? Special purpose gear or just a backback with a sandbag?

29 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Old backpack full of bricks.  You can get a sandbag as well.  Don't overthink it.  Just go.  

Yep, a few years ago I would load an army surplus canvas duffle back with a 100 pounds of stuff in it, and then fireman's carry it around the park by my house but I'd like to do something more balanced and a bit lighter so I can work on endurance. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Yep, a few years ago I would load an army surplus canvas duffle back with a 100 pounds of stuff in it, and then fireman's carry it around the park by my house but I'd like to do something more balanced and a bit lighter so I can work on endurance. 

Sandbags or your gear. I did bricks and weights at one time, but did not like how they shifted. Got a friend who carries cans of soup in his bag always just for a bit of extra weight. Hell, do beer! 

8 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Multiple sandbags of various weights would be the right choice.  You can load up the pack as needed.  I do the same with the bricks.  A bag stacked vertically in the bag is a better set up than bricks that settle at the bottom of the bag.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Y'all training for something or just like the challenge?

Hunting.  Packing in/out.

It's also a great time multiplier and has less impact on your lower body than saying running, etc..  30 minutes in the heat of the day with hills and 50+lbs is a royal kick in the dick.  It's just heavy walking.  Same reason I really like pushing/pulling the sled or farmers carry.

and I hate running....

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Y'all training for something or just like the challenge?

from what i can tell, inka is a private contractor with a military logistics/in and out of deep infiltration role.

babyyaga is preparing for "the road" lifestyle he dreams about every day.

bozo is just being bozo.

i do it to continue to strengthen my back and core muscles every day because i never want to go back to feeling the way i did prior to the microdiscectomy i had to have a couple of years ago due to a physical herniation and fissure in my L5-S1 disc because it sucks.

all that to say, fuck everything and especially fuck this fucking summer weather in every fucking possible fucking way imaginable.  i fucking hate it so much.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I hike because I love it and I'm also training, but hiking when it's over 90 degrees, which generally is going to be 100+ heat index, is just dumb.  I used to think it was just what we did in Texas, but fuck that.  It's bad for your body and is not fun in any way.  

I do it even when it is 100 but just choose my trails... Slaughter Creek Trail with no shade?  Not so much.  Greenbelt in the shade?  Yup.

• Hook 'Em 3

56 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I hike because I love it and I'm also training, but hiking when it's over 90 degrees, which generally is going to be 100+ heat index, is just dumb.  I used to think it was just what we did in Texas, but fuck that.  It's bad for your body and is not fun in any way.  

Yeah, got to be careful. I always pop electrolyte tablets and carry more water than I probably need. Adds weight, but also you never know. I see a lot of dumbasses out with just a water bottle for them and some furry dog. 

Replying to the other post. I work development and that involves some big farms in hot countries. Southern Afghanistan was probably the hottest operations place I worked. Body armor, water, med kits, etc, so for me it is just a way to stay ready. Plus I love it and running fucks up my knees. I also enjoy back country camping. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, sidis said:

from what i can tell, inka is a private contractor with a military logistics/in and out of deep infiltration role.

babyyaga is preparing for "the road" lifestyle he dreams about every day.

bozo is just being bozo.

i do it to continue to strengthen my back and core muscles every day because i never want to go back to feeling the way i did prior to the microdiscectomy i had to have a couple of years ago due to a physical herniation and fissure in my L5-S1 disc because it sucks.

all that to say, fuck everything and especially fuck this fucking summer weather in every fucking possible fucking way imaginable.  i fucking hate it so much.

Y'all should get together and ruck each other.

10 minutes ago, kevwun said:

A few years ago, I would have done stupid things like make a brisket on a Saturday when it was 100.  Now, I'm not even gonna fire up the gas grill.

Actually, I do like smoking a brisket when it's that hot. Shit, the black painted smoker gets up to 125 just on radiant heat.  Managing a small fire to keep it at 225-275 is super easy in these temps.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

Yeah, got to be careful. I always pop electrolyte tablets and carry more water than I probably need. Adds weight, but also you never know. I see a lot of dumbasses out with just a water bottle for them and some furry dog. 

Replying to the other post. I work development and that involves some big farms in hot countries. Southern Afghanistan was probably the hottest operations place I worked. Body armor, water, med kits, etc, so for me it is just a way to stay ready. Plus I love it and running fucks up my knees. I also enjoy back country camping. 

Last year, I decided to take on River Place in August at around 3:00.  Yes, most of the trail is shaded but about .75 of a mile in I realized, "no way I have enough water for this" and went back.  Learned to tackle it in the morning or cooler weather.

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Actually, I do like smoking a brisket when it's that hot. Shit, the black painted smoker gets up to 125 just on radiant heat.  Managing a small fire to keep it at 225-275 is super easy in these temps.

Yep.  Not that it matters with most well insulated smokers, but its a shit load easier than when I was smoking during snow-pocalypse.  

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Why is it bad for your body? 

You can find studies that say both ways and "too hot" is a relative term, but in general, your body is less efficient at high temps.

http://www.marathonguide.com/training/coachmindy/heat.cfm

When the body heats up internally, it starts to sweat and sends more blood to the skin where it is cooled by coming into contact with the relatively cooler skin. However, while running, your body's demand for oxygen to the muscles means less blood will flow to the skin and this is when overheating occurs. And thus begins the tug-of-war within your body, especially if you want to keep up a certain pace

Moar: https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/too-hot-to-handle-the-dangers-of-running-in-the-heat/

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, texasdago said:

I should introduce you to my neighbor who loves races like Badwater.  

Had a friend that did that crap.  Dude's a Marine and can run for days.

Funny story - how he got into distance running, was going through a divorce, never wanted to go home

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Yep.  Not that it matters with most well insulated smokers, but its a shit load easier than when I was smoking during snow-pocalypse.  

The worst is when I have the temp perfectly dialed-in.....and a summer gullywasher pops up and pours on it for 10 minutes, knocking the temp down 100 degrees.  Thought about welding a roof onto it, but shit, I have to replace my rusted-out firebox first.