Blastfurnace 2022

Rest of state not gonna see much drought relief, but daily high temperatures should at least drop  from "melt your face" to "somewhat hotter than usual for this time of year"

The real interesting heat stuff has now moved up to the High Plains. A lot of places in Nebraska, Montana, Dakotas gonna touch 100 several times over the next week. 

610temp.conus_-1024x791.png

19 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Long-range forecasts are making it look like Houston might actually be in a for a standard, uncomfortably muggy August as opposed to the horrendous May-July we just experienced.

Today is the only day in the 15-day forecast with a temp above 95. Cloud cover and decent rain chances most days (~40%) should keep us decently below 100. 

From SpaceCityWeather:

Yeah, but you still have to live in Houston 

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Rest of state not gonna see much drought relief, but daily high temperatures should at least drop  from "melt your face" to "somewhat hotter than usual for this time of year"

The real interesting heat stuff has now moved up to the High Plains. A lot of places in Nebraska, Montana, Dakotas gonna touch 100 several times over the next week. 

610temp.conus_-1024x791.png

Honestly I'll take 100 - 105 every day and like it IF you give me rain, too.  Don't just give me one and deprive me of the other.  Mix in some good rain and F it.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, txduck87 said:

18cb055ebfb20eca3eef95a4468a9122.gif

Because I’m a glutton for punishment.   To top that off, we’re finishing up our round and driving to the clubhouse and figuring out what they’re going to serve us for lunch.   Fried catfish, fries, hushpuppies, slaw.   

fried anything was the last thing I wanted to eat after that round.   

• Hook 'Em 2

On 8/1/2022 at 10:26 PM, Fudge Nuggets said:

The last couple of summers I would do a workout then sit outside in the shade for a while to catch my breath and chill for a bit pretty much ever day. This year I have done it twice.  Two fucking times because it’s fucking miserable. 

I still do this 5 days a week but do it in the morning before the afternoon heat kicks in for the day. On my prowler workout days I usually end up laying in the shade half-conscious browsing Surly.

11 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Tomorrow is it boys, on average it's the hottest day of the year with the average high going downward starting on Tuesday.

Of course with the way 2022 is going it'll be 105 on September 4th, but hey at least we're at the switch. 

fuck it I'll take it

A weekend with some light rain and steady cloud cover made for an almost-pleasant Sunday in Houston. Jumped in the pool yesterday evening and the water temp was only 87 (down from the usual 90) and there was a halfway-decent breeze. For the first time in a while, it didn't feel like hopping into a bathtub and then getting out into a steam room. 

I'm cautiously optimistic in saying that the worst of summer has passed around these parts (pending hurricane season). Pretty typical August forecast the next 2 weeks of low to mid 90's and moderate rain chances. 

Definitely have started noticing the days getting a little shorter. This will be the last full week of the year with sunsets past 8:00 pm in SETX. Currently losing a little over a minute of sunlight each day. Within a month, that will accelerate to over 2 minutes per day.

Iraq: hold my non-alcoholic drink

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/iraq-broils-in-dangerous-120-degree-heat-as-power-grid-shuts-down/

Iraq broils in dangerous 120-degree heat as power grid shuts down

Aug. 7, 2022 at 1:14 pm Updated Aug. 7, 2022 at 1:46 pm

The Washington Post

BAGHDAD – Extreme heat is paralyzing Iraq, forcing shutdowns in the overstretched power grid as authorities extend public holidays to protect employees from 125-degree temperatures.

moi aussi!

not to be outdone, France enters the chat

https://apnews.com/article/france-droughts-weather-2e5f156e1ea6394a55adb6f9b74f33e3

PARIS (AP) — France was in the midst of its fourth heat wave of the year Monday as the country faces what the government warned is its worst drought on record.

National weather agency Meteo France said the heat wave begain in the south and is expected to spread across the country and last until the weekend.

Overall, the southern half of France expects daytime temperatures of up to 40 degrees Celsius (104 degrees Fahrenheit) ad won’t drop at nighttime below 20 degrees Celsius (68 degrees Fahrenheit).

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

moi aussi!

https://apnews.com/article/france-droughts-weather-2e5f156e1ea6394a55adb6f9b74f33e3

PARIS (AP) — France was in the midst of its fourth heat wave of the year Monday as the country faces what the government warned is its worst drought on record.

National weather agency Meteo France said the heat wave begain in the south and is expected to spread across the country and last until the weekend.

Overall, the southern half of France expects daytime temperatures of up to 40 degrees Celsius (104 degrees Fahrenheit) ad won’t drop at nighttime below 20 degrees Celsius (68 degrees Fahrenheit).

68 at night would be a godsend. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

82 right now and might not hit projected high of 90.  I love summer ,cool’ fronts in the panhandle.

The worst of summer is behind us.  Bring on the cooler evenings and whispers of fall.

3 hours ago, crash_davis said:

moi aussi!

Daughter is in south-central France right now, visiting her college roommates.  They live in an old stone farmhouse.  And they have a pool.  No AC.  During the day, they get out and about, hit the pool, do what they can to stay cool.  At night, if the main house is too hot, they sleep in the basement, which generally stays in the 70s.  It's just what you gotta do.  It's a new way of living for Europe.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Daughter is in south-central France right now, visiting her college roommates.  They live in an old stone farmhouse.  And they have a pool.  No AC.  During the day, they get out and about, hit the pool, do what they can to stay cool.  At night, if the main house is too hot, they sleep in the basement, which generally stays in the 70s.  It's just what you gotta do.  It's a new way of living for Europe.

Not too new. In 1989, the parents of a friend of mine were staying in a 5 star on the Champs-Élysées. Typical - no AC even in a 5 star in Paris. They ended up staying in my dorm room at HEC (Hautes Études Commerciales) and I stayed with my girlfriend.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Not too new. In 1989, the parents of a friend of mine were staying in a 5 star on the Champs-Élysées. Typical - no AC even in a 5 star in Paris. They ended up staying in my dorm room at HEC (Hautes Études Commerciales) and I stayed with my girlfriend.

Yep.....when we've been over there, it's often been in July, and the heat has proven to be JUST frequent enough of an issue that I try to find hotels with AC.  We've only needed it a couple of times (last time we were in Berlin over the summer, they had just had a period of 95 degree temps, but by the time we got there, highs were only around 80, so windows-open in our room kept it fine all day, and certainly at night.  You just never know these days.

Yep.....when we've been over there, it's often been in July, and the heat has proven to be JUST frequent enough of an issue that I try to find hotels with AC.  We've only needed it a couple of times (last time we were in Berlin over the summer, they had just had a period of 95 degree temps, but by the time we got there, highs were only around 80, so windows-open in our room kept it fine all day, and certainly at night.  You just never know these days.

Headed to Italy 2nd week of September. Currently Showing highs of 93 through late august . Uggh.
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

The pics, they are not showing up.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

8 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

The pics, they are not showing up.

My best friend when I studied in France now lives in Poitier and, therefore, shouldn't be too far away. I could give him a shout, and he could be there in about 4-5 hours depending where they are exactly. Let me know in case Brisket doesn't post any.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

53 minutes ago, bolverk said:

My best friend when I studied in France now lives in Poitier and, therefore, shouldn't be too far away. I could give him a shout, and he could be there in about 4-5 hours depending where they are exactly. Let me know in case Brisket doesn't post any.

Daughter passed through Poitier on her way down there.  One of her roommates is supercute french aristocracy.  Don't know if she'll be around, this visit, though.  I think so -- she's back from her "internship" in the Ivory Coast.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2022 at 7:39 AM, South Austin said:

One week furlough from hell.

27311915-CEB3-4343-81BF-999E2FD328B3.jpeg

I did the same on the other side of the State, in Durango. Going to Ouray tomorrow, and the back to reality on Wednesday. Had an afternoon storm today that my kids were just playing in while all the other folks were scurrying to cover. 

After a not terribly unpleasant weekend, the blastfurnace is firing back up for the next 72 hours. Just plain hot and dry, gonna feel like the depths of July again. Wednesday looks likely to be the hottest day of the remainder of 2022, with triple digits expected statewide.

"Cooler" weather with improved rain chances returns on Thursday and is expected to stick around for a while.

After a not terribly unpleasant weekend, the blastfurnace is firing back up for the next 72 hours. Just plain hot and dry, gonna feel like the depths of July again. Wednesday looks likely to be the hottest day of the remainder of 2022, with triple digits expected statewide.
"Cooler" weather with improved rain chances returns on Thursday and is expected to stick around for a while.

How many 100 degree days are we up to in Austin at this point?