Blastfurnace 2022

Summer going out with a bang. Today should probably be the hottest day of the rest of 2022. This is also the last day of the year that Eastern portion of the state will see a sunset past 8:00 pm.  

I lived in an apartment back in 2011 and didn't really pay much attention to the weather back then, so can't really compare. Have we reached a consensus on whether this was the worst summer or 2nd runner up? It had to be the driest, right?

Will start "cool front watch" in 4 weeks or so. September 15th is about the average first day each Fall where the low is 70 or less. October 3 for 65. October 18 for 60. 

11 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Summer going out with a bang. Today should probably be the hottest day of the rest of 2022. This is also the last day of the year that Eastern portion of the state will see a sunset past 8:00 pm.  

I lived in an apartment back in 2011 and didn't really pay much attention to the weather back then, so can't really compare. Have we reached a consensus on whether this was the worst summer or 2nd runner up? It had to be the driest, right?

Will start "cool front watch" in 4 weeks or so. September 15th is about the average first day each Fall where the low is 70 or less. October 3 for 65. October 18 for 60. 

Ha!

But to answer your question, I think 2011 will end up being "worse".

https://www.kxan.com/weather/weather-blog/how-does-this-year-compare-to-the-record-summer-of-2011-heres-a-breakdown-of-the-data/?ipid=promo-link-block2

Technically we are ahead of 2011 in terms of total number of 100+ days at this time of the year. We're at 65 days of 100+ and had 63 on August 17th in 2011. But it looks like we're going to get a bit of a break, and 2011 just kept on trucking through September. In 2011 from July 2nd through Sept 4th there were only 3 days where it didn't hit 100. We're gonna have maybe a week straight of highs less than 100 this week. I don't think we're gonna get another 25 days above 100 this year. Hope I'm right. 

Technically, we've also had more rain this year than in 2011 - 9.47 inches ytd in 2011 vs. 12.13 ytd 2022. Both well below average. 

I still think you're a good month early regarding your prediction of when we'll see highs in the 60s. You've got to throw historical averages out the window. I'm guessing that almost every year It's gonna be hotter than average from April through October, and then colder than average for December through February. March and November will be wildcards. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

2011 was a lot worse for Houston area

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, WBT said:

2011 was a lot worse

I don't know where you live, but May 2022, June 2022, and July 2022 all were the hottest on record in Austin. Looks like we're getting a break soon, so it's doubtful that this August will break the monthly temp record for us.

2 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Oh my sweet summer child

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

I don't know where you live, but May 2022, June 2022, and July 2022 all were the hottest on record in Austin. Looks like we're getting a break soon, so it's doubtful that this August will break the monthly temp record for us.

Yeah, I edited to specify Houston area.  I didn't mean to speak for Austin.  This was on Aug 3:

There have only been 2 more 100 deg days in the 2 weeks since then, so we're up to 22.  It's also been wetter this summer although still very dry.  Pinche La Niña

Edited by WBT

4 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I will be happy to affirm this if it is to be true.  Today has been miserable since I first stepped foot outside at 5:45  

Im up most days at about 5 to go for a run or walk. I've had to bring a towel with me to mop sweat the last few days.  Couldnt do it today. 

1 minute ago, Post Oak said:

Im up most days at about 5 to go for a run or walk. I've had to bring a towel with me to mop sweat the last few days.  Couldnt do it today. 

Did 3.5 miles this morning.  It was not near as welcoming as normal.  

Edited by Trey3216

2 hours ago, WBT said:

Yeah, I edited to specify Houston area.  I didn't mean to speak for Austin.  This was on Aug 3:

There have only been 2 more 100 deg days in the 2 weeks since then, so we're up to 22.  It's also been wetter this summer although still very dry.  Pinche La Niña

22 whole days? How precious!

6 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

Those forecasted temps will rise by 3-5 degrees each subsequent day you check it. 

Ordinarily I would agree. But after suffering through all of our 100 degree days this summer, I'm leaving town for the northeast on Monday. I assume it will be in the 80's and pouring rain each day here in Austin, until I return a week later at which point the triple digits return. I also wouldn't be surprised to see it reach the 100's in the boston area next week, because fuck me, thats why. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, WBT said:

There are certainly some areas that this summer was worse, but at the state level this year isn’t even close to 2011

4 hours ago, Blotto said:

Ordinarily I would agree. But after suffering through all of our 100 degree days this summer, I'm leaving town for the northeast on Monday. I assume it will be in the 80's and pouring rain each day here in Austin, until I return a week later at which point the triple digits return. I also wouldn't be surprised to see it reach the 100's in the boston area next week, because fuck me, thats why. 

And we thank you for your sacrifice 

Cross-posted in 3 threads:

The weather pattern has absolutely begun to change.  As in seasonal.  We might get heat/dry back, but this ain't no 1 day reprieve.  This is a huge shift.  It doesn't mean the  end of summer, but it might be very difficult to return to it like it's been.

Rain for most of us starting tomorrow, good daily chances for at least next 7 days if not longer.
Temps are gonna go down a good bit somewhere low-mid 90's most days.  We might not even hit 90 Friday and somewhere within a few days after.
The "Gulf thing" (tropics) will help enhance rain chances and moderate temps, even if it doesn't spin up.  This one will affect CenTex more than the thing yesterday.

Yes, Virginia, summer as we've known it is over, at least for now and waaay into next week.  We'll see what September has to say about it.

11 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Oh my sweet summer child

For shits and giggles, it was 99 today in Houston, on August 17. Every single model/forecast calls for a weather pattern change starting with tomorrow's front, which should provide some cloud cover and rain chances most days for at least the next week, capping highs around 95 or less.  

Look, I'm not saying things are about to be good. There are plenty of uncomfortably hot days in early September, but it's very rare to have your hottest September days be hotter than your hottest August days. At this point in the planet's annual voyage, Texas is beginning to tilt away from the sun and is losing ~90 seconds of sunlight each day. Only a handful of times in the past 100 years have we recorded a temperature above 100 later than the first week of September. How many more days above today's high of 99 are you expecting next month? 

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Hook 'Em 2

Cross-posted in 3 threads:
The weather pattern has absolutely begun to change.  As in seasonal.  We might get heat/dry back, but this ain't no 1 day reprieve.  This is a huge shift.  It doesn't mean the  end of summer, but it might be very difficult to return to it like it's been.

Rain for most of us starting tomorrow, good daily chances for at least next 7 days if not longer.
Temps are gonna go down a good bit somewhere low-mid 90's most days.  We might not even hit 90 Friday and somewhere within a few days after.
The "Gulf thing" (tropics) will help enhance rain chances and moderate temps, even if it doesn't spin up.  This one will affect CenTex more than the thing yesterday.

Yes, Virginia, summer as we've known it is over, at least for now and waaay into next week.  We'll see what September has to say about it.

Sounds aight.