Blastfurnace 2022

Brat:  "Looks like those new IBTC models are coming in early this year, you got any?" 

Cashier:  "Sir, this is an Arby's and that model was made in 1893."

Somewhere in ATX, there's a hipster who'd pay $500 for that phone in your pic, "That's just straight analogue, that's what that is.  That crackle is so fucking pure, man!"

Edited by YGIFS
  • Haha 1

SCW today:

Fall is so close in September you can taste it, but the painful reality is that summer just isn’t over yet. Houston has a chance to see a decent cold front next week—more on that below—but fall remains over the horizon. We’ve got at least another month during which 90-degree days will be more common than not.

Will it or won’t it? That’s the question when it comes to a potential cool front around one week from today. There is a lot of support for a decent front—think lows in the 60s, with drier air—around September 13 in the ensembles of the European model. However there is almost no signal for this front in the North American GFS model. Looking at the overall pattern, I think it supports the idea that we could see a front make it down to Houston next week, but it is no slam dunk. This forecast should become clearer in the next day or two. Should the front make it, the effect will be fairly short lived, as one would expect in mid-September.

endgame-avengers.gif

Holy shit, didn't realize they hit (with heat index) 95 degrees in the last two days.  No CR, but three things:

1.  Electrical grid bullshit or not, that's just not a city or a people that can handle heat like that.  The orientation of many buildings can't provide adequare airflow nor do many have A/C.  Good news is is that it was normal a couple days ago and will be again shortly, so hopefully not a lot of trapped excess heat in some higher-up multi-family units.

2.  Their extreme weather, all up and down that state is getting far, far worse.  EV plug-ins or no, some of that shit is just insane.

3.  You know those human shit-laden sidewalks smell real fucking good about now.  

Man, some older folks with no A/c that keep their windows shit for fear of crime in certain pockets of that city aren't going to wake up when this heat wave passes.  That's a fucking tragedy.

Edited by YGIFS

It ain't quite Fall, but I can live with a bunch of 90/72 sunny days with lower humidity. We haven't had a forecast this decent since late Spring.

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/a319796a4173829988d68c4e3a5f90c14de5723d3432d1532b4f76f2ccb04fc8

Edited by Storm the Field

20 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Holy shit, didn't realize they hit (with heat index) 95 degrees in the last two days.  No CR, but three things:

1.  Electrical grid bullshit or not, that's just not a city or a people that can handle heat like that.  The orientation of many buildings can't provide adequare airflow nor do many have A/C.  Good news is is that it was normal a couple days ago and will be again shortly, so hopefully not a lot of trapped excess heat in some higher-up multi-family units.

2.  Their extreme weather, all up and down that state is getting far, far worse.  EV plug-ins or no, some of that shit is just insane.

3.  You know those human shit-laden sidewalks smell real fucking good about now.  

Man, some older folks with no A/c that keep their windows shit for fear of crime in certain pockets of that city aren't going to wake up when this heat wave passes.  That's a fucking tragedy.

Its been 100+ in LA for the last seven days, with temps breaking 110 in the valleys. Even in LA, especially on the westside, there are hundreds of thousands of homes/apartments without AC. Never needed it before. That's going to have to change. One of the issues with this heat wave is that is state-wide. No relief on the coasts or in the North. 

FWIW, I'd argue California has weathered this heat event pretty well. They called off the rolling blackouts that had been scheduled, and it appears that the homes without power are unrelated to the demand but some other issue that is being addressed.

After 7 p.m. Tuesday, California's grid reached peak demand at over 52,000 megawatts, hitting a new all-time record for the state. The state's maximum capacity is 56,000 megawatts. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2022/09/06/california-heat-wave-power-outages-possible/7999417001/

• Like 1

Maybe something to do with the large population pockets in California, while they can get super hot, are largely densified in the more mild areas.  Whereas Texas looks at the extreme heat/humidity areas and says, "Yep, another 4000 KB homes right over here sir.  Shopping mall over there, plenty of parking.  I tell you, golf courses and cemeteries...biggest wastes of prime real estate.  Ask Wang, he'll tell ya!"  

But yeah, despite having several million less people, we tend to pack our populations in some of the hottest parts of the state and use way more energy overall (not getting into the portfolio of supply here).  I lived in Northern California.  I prefer Texas.  But we gotta think about not continuing to pack people into the most vulnerable circuits of our grid.  

Edited by YGIFS

23 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Maybe something to do with the large population pockets in California, while they can get super hot, are largely densified in the more mild areas.  Whereas Texas looks at the extreme heat/humidity areas and says, "Yep, another 4000 KB homes right over here sir.  Shopping mall over there, plenty of parking.  I tell you, golf courses and cemeteries...biggest wastes of prime real estate.  Ask Wang, he'll tell ya!"  

But yeah, despite having several million less people, we tend to pack our populations in some of the hottest parts of the state and use way more energy overall (not getting into the portfolio of supply here).  I lived in Northern California.  I prefer Texas.  But we gotta think about not continuing to pack people into the most vulnerable circuits of our grid.  

What the hell are you talking about? The entire state is hot. Are you advocating millions of people move to the panhandle? Where much more energy is needed in the winter, anyway?

Houston and Dallas are where they are for a reason. 

No I was explaining why we use a vast uptick in energy more than California.  Nothing to do with generation assets, and California has just as much square mileage that's just as hot as we are.  They use so much less, not because they are "greener" or whatever but because most of their people and industry live where it's mild...we're the opposite.  I get why our cities are where they are (well, maybe not San Antonio).  Just pointing out that we use almost half again as much power in the summer with 10 million less people because of where our people are located, not because of portfolio mix or one state is hot and one state is cold.  

45 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

No I was explaining why we use a vast uptick in energy more than California.  Nothing to do with generation assets, and California has just as much square mileage that's just as hot as we are.  They use so much less, not because they are "greener" or whatever but because most of their people and industry live where it's mild...we're the opposite.  I get why our cities are where they are (well, maybe not San Antonio).  Just pointing out that we use almost half again as much power in the summer with 10 million less people because of where our people are located, not because of portfolio mix or one state is hot and one state is cold.  

I'd also note that California is typically dry, so nights typically get cool. Even when temps are over 100 during the day, its normal for temps to drop into the low 70s and high 60s at night. That has not happened this heat wave.  So, ACs have been running all night, when usually they cease after 10 pm. The state is getting more and more humid as the climate changes, so this is something we will have to get used to. The days of living near-ish the coast without AC and white-knuckling the handful of hot days a year are over.

• Like 1

That's true.  Although it is still important to note that while a small percentage of the state...sections of california from the North forests to Napa to the Central Valley and severeal areas in between amount to a rather moderate-to-heavy rainfall climate that is as large as most U.S. states, even in a dry year.  But their heavy population centers are certainly experiencing a shifting climate and have been for some time.  

I meant their lesser-populated acreage that's "hot" is greater than our more-populated acreage that's "hot".  Like you could pack in our hot population centers into Eastern Sierra, most chunks of Central Valley, Inland Empire, and Southland Imperial and you'd have about the same size geographically with the same hot temps (at least the highs).  I didn't phrase it worth a shit.  They got big lands with hot temps.  We got big peoples with hot temps.  I don't phrase shit so good anymore sober.  

It's hot, it's damn hot.  I saw a little orange man in a robe just burst into flames.  

tl;dr, there's a reason we use more electricity here than in a state with more people and more GDP industry.  Despite the fact that they still have a GDP that's nearly 60% higher than ours despite having a population that's only 30% larger than ours.  And it ain't because of electric vehicles.  They use a fuckton more energy and water on industry than us.  And likewise, we use a fuckton more energy and water on people.  No judgement one way or the other.  Both states are fucked by 2050, we're just rearranging our chairs differently.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I’m unclear on where you want us Texans to move that’s not hot.

• Like 1

No, everybody stay put.  Holy fucking shit.  It started as a spin-off of the discussion on why we use so much more energy than a state with more people than us that also has heavy industry and hot-as-balls weather.  Fucking-A, kwh is not just based on people, it's not just based on geography, nor on climate, nor on industry, nor on renewables v. hydrocarbons...it's a blend.  shit ain't binary.  But fuck it, everything else in America is binary so why shouldn't this be? 

I'd also note that California is typically dry, so nights typically get cool. Even when temps are over 100 during the day, its normal for temps to drop into the low 70s and high 60s at night. That has not happened this heat wave.  So, ACs have been running all night, when usually they cease after 10 pm. The state is getting more and more humid as the climate changes, so this is something we will have to get used to. The days of living near-ish the coast without AC and white-knuckling the handful of hot days a year are over.

Some of The California transplants I’ve met here in austin don’t mind the heat during the day but are surprised it’s still 100 at 10 pm

3 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I meant their lesser-populated acreage that's "hot" is greater than our more-populated acreage that's "hot".  Like you could pack in our hot population centers into Eastern Sierra, most chunks of Central Valley, Inland Empire, and Southland Imperial and you'd have about the same size geographically with the same hot temps (at least the highs).  I didn't phrase it worth a shit.  They got big lands with hot temps.  We got big peoples with hot temps.  I don't phrase shit so good anymore sober.  

Gotcha. You're phrasing a lot of shit in here confusingly but I get what you mean. 

The thing is - there's not really an alternative for where those 20M people live in Texas that would see less energy usage. The panhandle stays cooler in the summer but gets colder than anywhere in California not 7,000 feet above sea level in the winter. 

It makes perfect sense to me that we use considerably more energy than California does. I'm guessing we use about half as much water, however.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, that's another thread I guess.  Water usage/capita is so misleading for so many states and is used as evidence for so much policy.   There's almost a nearly fixed amount we use for drinking/bathing/cooking per person.  Almost universally across all 50 states.  But it gets murky when you take into account states that use more for industry, agriculture, livestock, etc.  And then where do they get it from?  It's insane to me that we just give these blanket rankings out when end-use water is such a crap-shoot in so many ways.  And to our conversation earlier, same can be said for electricity though not to quite the same extent.  I like light and internet and A/C, but I have to have X#gallons/week or I die, there's just no getting around that.  

Don't get me started on sprinkler heads.  I'm gonna take advantage of this week's rains to re-do most of my system and have it off-line...maube just shut it off altogether until May.  I guess I won't be hungover after Alabama game so make myself useful on sunday...

No, everybody stay put.  Holy fucking shit.  It started as a spin-off of the discussion on why we use so much more energy than a state with more people than us that also has heavy industry and hot-as-balls weather.  Fucking-A, kwh is not just based on people, it's not just based on geography, nor on climate, nor on industry, nor on renewables v. hydrocarbons...it's a blend.  shit ain't binary.  But fuck it, everything else in America is binary so why shouldn't this be? 
Your posts make me feel like I'm taking really shitty drugs and I'm sober. And I don't take shitty drugs so I'm just guessing here.
Manic nonsense, I can often connect the dots, but the squeeze isn't worth the juice. You sound like a more intelligent version of Don Jr (no CR).

Some of your stuff in the past made me laugh, this current iteration is really uncomfortable...
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Okay, scroll past.  Somebody started the KwH comparison between the two states, I expounded.  We can totally move on.  

What I'm most worried about is my A/C making it one more month and how our fanbase will fare on Saturday.  Gonna be hotter and sunnier than we previously thought.  

Only thing missing from the 3-pregame show lineup is the Weather Channel broadcasting heatstrokes.  

I'm dry.  But your mom is as moist as the precip for which I have...dammit---i had something for this.

but seriously.........we're at 2+ inches in the last 90 minutes.  I'm glad I weeded and tilled when I did.  But fucking-A.......I'm watching my mulch run off like lost tears in the rain  /ripRutgerHauer

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Only thing missing from the 3-pregame show lineup is the Weather Channel broadcasting heatstrokes.  

EMT's used to sit directly behind out seats.  Every early season game, their radios never stopped going off about someone fainting, overheating, etc.  I know Kyle field has "chilling" rooms (similar to the produce/dairy rooms at Costco) for people that are overheating - does DKR have something similar?

38 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

EMT's used to sit directly behind out seats.  Every early season game, their radios never stopped going off about someone fainting, overheating, etc.  I know Kyle field has "chilling" rooms (similar to the produce/dairy rooms at Costco) for people that are overheating - does DKR have something similar?

Visitors locker room. 

Oh…wait….

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

I've seen some before but maybe they're not so much chilling rooms and more "lay down before you die" rooms.

• Haha 1

On 7/26/2022 at 9:04 AM, closetohumping said:

Right, and hey at least you guys get to experience weather.  It's been a pretty boring summer in SoCal:

image.png.6b31ba2adedd2a069277795a177a0d05.png

34 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

13 consecutive days over 100 in irvine

so............

this is awkward.  this is your fault.  you, and you squarely.

i hope you have learned your lesson about mocking the baseball gods.

Edited by sidis
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

A fairly weak front ended up making its way down to Texas. Not quite far south enough to really bring down the low temps in Houston much, but we may possibly dip into the high 60's for a few hours tomorrow night/early Wednesday morning and the humidity will be quite low through Thursday night. Unfortunately, looks like muggier, rainier weather returns just in time for the weekend.

Folks in the northern burbs and pretty much everyone in East Texas will have some really stellar mornings and evenings in the low 60's this week.

Central and South Texas appear to be the only parts of the state expected to continue seeing high temps of 95 or higher, at least for another 10 days or so. Even then, it will be somewhat offset by lower lows.

Blastfurnace is running out of gas.

Edited by Storm the Field

Hope you’re right.  Still seeing mid to upper 90’s for the next week.  That’s above average.  And not much chance for rain. Late evenings and early mornings have made a marked turn though for the better.  UTSA should feel a little warm but pleasant overall.  

what’s the longer term 30 day projection looking like?   

Hope you’re right.  Still seeing mid to upper 90’s for the next week.  That’s above average.  And not much chance for rain. Late evenings and early mornings have made a marked turn though for the better.  UTSA should feel a little warm but pleasant overall.  

what’s the longer term 30 day projection looking like?   

931e3b7b1cd94d969e511a87f7a9e7c1.gif
dc554188661dce8c203b0100dd09d106.gif
  • Hook 'Em 2