Blastfurnace 2022

Storm the Field

Forecasts all holding firm with a moderate cool front pushing through tomorrow afternoon. 

Monday will still be quite warm, getting into the low 90's, but dewpoints should begin dropping late afternoon, making it feel much more pleasant. Temperature improvement will happen overnight. Hourly forecast shows a good 20 degree+ temperature drop from high 80's at 7 pm tomorrow, to mid 60's at 7 am Tuesday. 

Rest of the week looks just about perfect. Highs around 90 or less, lows in the low 60's. Dewpoints in the 40's. Not a cloud in the sky. Thursday-Saturday look like they'll be the nicest stretch. Even after this front moves on, the first part of October looks it will at least revert to seasonal average temps.

Anyways, walk your dogs, ride your bikes, grab lunch outside, hit up a happy hour at a patio bar and whatever else it's been too damn hot to enjoy the last few months, the blastfurnace is sputtering on fumes. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

It's Cool Front Day! Far northern parts of the state are already seeing cooler temps. The rest of us have to wait another 10 hours or so, but it's coming.

I'll let the SCW guys take it from here:

My friends it has been a long—so very long —summer. We have seen record warmth in June and July, and plenty of high temperatures in the upper 90s during the last week. A total of 131 days have come and gone since Houston’s high temperature first hit 95 degrees this year, on May 18. Fortunately, I’m pretty confident that today is the last day of summer 2022.

Oh, we’re still going to see some 90-degree days. There will still be some humidity, of course. But our first real front pushes in today, bringing with it a nice surge of drier air tonight. By Tuesday morning it’s going to feel quite a bit different outside. No, the days won’t be chilly, but the nights will feel like fall. And the dry air is going to feel pretty amazing. Additionally, unlike a lot of early fall fronts, this one will have sticking power. The dry air should last into the weekend. So enjoy what’s coming, because you earned it.

66 in Houston when I took the dogs out for a walk this morning. Was so nice out that I took an extra long route that lasted almost a full hour. Dogs will probably not move off the couch until I get home this evening. 

Nice thing about this front is that, unlike most early Fall fronts, this one appears to have a good 5 days of staying power. Usually these things peter out after about 48 hours and then swampiness quickly returns, but this one looks like it'll stick around at least through Sunday morning. 

Edited by Storm the Field

56 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Now we just need a nice little front to blow through for weekend 2 ACL

^THIS.      was looking at the "mid-term" forecast.  Obviously these early mornings are glorious, but apparently all the music I wanna see isn't 2am-8am, it's at 2pm-8pm.  And weekend one is looking toasty hot still.  Midday, main bulk of the acts for W1...looking 90-95+ with heat index.  Not absolutely miserable, but not comfortable, IMO.  Actually heating up between now and then...OU game might be pretty ball-sweat inducing and then there's the weather.  

Weekend2, looking at some really long-term models looks like it could be badass weather-wise, I'm holding my breath on that.  Last year was pretty good for the most part after summer seized its bullshit grip on October.  But yeah, W1 looking pretty hot during bulk of the performances.  I'm too old to headliner and after-show (plus most headliners blow this year, latest I'll stay may be Musgraves until 9:00p just one night).  So for us old-timers, rolling around on foot from set to set in the hottest parts of the day...85 as a high is preferred.  Looks like that might come to fruition on W2.  

Would be super fun though to see comfortable-temp music on Saturday ending with Death Cab and War on Drugs, and then watch a late kickoff (7:00p or so) ISU @ TEX from the beer hall and bike home sober and not suffering from heat stroke and alcohol poisoning.  Gotta have goals.  First one is finish pruning before the heat shuts off permanently. 

/weathernews broughtotyouby RooseveltERoosevelt.

Forecast shows 58 as the low for both tomorrow and Friday in Houston. Northern suburbs gonna get fairly close to 50.  Pretty damn solid for a September front.

This one has definitely over performed the forecast. The last couple of days have been glorious.

Blastfurance is essentially kaput.

Weather won't be quite as nice this week as last, but temps above 90 will become increasingly rare. Looking like pretty typical October weather for the first half of the month.

Another weak front is supposed to pass through on Saturday, bringing overnight lows back down to around 60. 

1 minute ago, texasdago said:

Definte toasty.  That looks just fine to me.

I'm not sure if there's a better label.  The temps look great, but sitting in the open sun at Zilker all day can get pretty hot, especially when the humidity is still hanging around.  But it's definitely bearable, especially with cold beer.

7 hours ago, South Austin said:

I'm not sure if there's a better label.  The temps look great, but sitting in the open sun at Zilker all day can get pretty hot, especially when the humidity is still hanging around.  But it's definitely bearable, especially with cold beer.

Yeah, after the 2005 ACL fest when the Hurricane (Ike?) that was supposed to come and make a mudpit instead veered north/east, and the high pressure sat over Austin and made the temps about 105 with no clouds, that forecast looks like a dream. Also, I realize that was almost 20 years ago at this point, but that ACL defines "toasty" for me.

Just now, hornian said:

Yeah, after the 2005 ACL fest when the Hurricane (Ike?) that was supposed to come and make a mudpit instead veered north/east, and the high pressure sat over Austin and made the temps about 105 with no clouds, that forecast looks like a dream. Also, I realize that was almost 20 years ago at this point, but that ACL defines "toasty" for me.

I remember that one well. It was far from “toasty.” It was melt-your-balls hot.

1 hour ago, hornian said:

You think Ike was before the greatest rose bowl of all time?