Blastfurnace 2022

Storm the Field

4 minutes ago, Hate said:

Parents made their kids get out of the house every day?  I have a 13 year old that goes fishing every day or plays basketball at the park.  He takes water with him and stays hydrated.  He's fine.  All kids these days would be just fine too.

How do you know he won’t immolate?

28 minutes ago, Hate said:

Parents made their kids get out of the house every day?  I have a 13 year old that goes fishing every day or plays basketball at the park.  He takes water with him and stays hydrated.  He's fine.  All kids these days would be just fine too.

I played select travel fast pitch softball when I was younger than him and until I was 18.  Travelled all over the SW and won multiple tournaments.  Most of the time we played 2-3 games a day and I caught.  Our team name was "Texas Heat."  SO I am pretty fucking familiar with playing in the heat and not fishing or park basketball.  There is no way I would take a team out in this shit this summer.  No. Damn. Way.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, tigol said:

I played select travel fast pitch softball when I was younger than him and until I was 18.  Travelled all over the SW and won multiple tournaments.  Most of the time we played 2-3 games a day and I caught.  Our team name was "Texas Heat."  SO I am pretty fucking familiar with playing in the heat and not fishing or park basketball.  There is no way I would take a team out in this shit this summer.  No. Damn. Way.

And yet….all day almost every day

twitter.com/fivetooltexas?s=11&t=BPgfqissIWfY-hy47PuK6g 

18 minutes ago, tigol said:

Pussy 

Just now, Surly Bevo said:

Pretty sure Tigol is a chick which doesn’t preclude her from being into pussy but probably lowers the odds. 

Well then, I will apologize for my remarks @tigol if that is indeed true.  But that doesn’t mean you get off the hook for talking about how tough you were playing sports outside and being helicopter parent about your kids playing anything outside when it’s virtually the same shit as when you were playing.  Tell them to put their fucking electronics down and go pick up sticks in the yard.  Then take them to a pool or some other shit for an hour or two.   They’re kids, their bodies are built for this shit.   

3 minutes ago, tigol said:

I am a woman.  I have a degree in Biology from The University of Texas at Austin.  I also have an MPH and am board certified in Molecular Biology, but that won't make a shit to you you fucking troglodyte.  

I played select sports as a kid.  Also, my picture is up in Gregory multiple times for different sports.  I think Pato was on a team with me.  "Naughty Nurses" or something like that.  

I picked up my sticks and played 18 on Sunday.  It fucking sucked due to the heat and I thought I'd start a grass fire with my PW.  Fuck this shit.

I didn’t bring your degree or board certification in molecular biology into this conversation, and it frankly has nothing to do with this conversation.  I was apologizing for my comments and you come back with the big bad troglodyte.   Ooooooooooo.   

im sorry for what I called you and referenced without realizing you were a woman, truly.  I don’t apologize for saying you’re being a baby about not letting your kids play in the summer sun.   That’s being a helicopter parent.  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I didn’t bring your degree or board certification in molecular biology into this conversation, and it frankly has nothing to do with this conversation.  I was apologizing for my comments and you come back with the big bad troglodyte.   Ooooooooooo.   

im sorry for what I called you and referenced without realizing you were a woman, truly.  I don’t apologize for saying you’re being a baby about not letting your kids play in the summer sun.   That’s being a helicopter parent.  

I don't have kids.  Let yours melt.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, tigol said:

I don't have kids.  Let yours melt.

Mine quite enjoy playing outside.  I’m quite capable of allowing them to do so and also moderating how long they can do so, and without the vapid histrionics.  It’s amazing what adding water to the mix can do to stabilize body temp and exposure.  But I guess you knew that already.  

• Hook 'Em 1

It's not that bad and not any different from when you were going up. I played select ball growing up in the 90s, played slow pitch tournaments throughout the 2000s and 2010s, and have coached varsity baseball summer teams since 2012. You just have to be smart about hydrating and managing workload.
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:
2 hours ago, tigol said:

It's not that bad and not any different from when you were going up. I played select ball growing up in the 90s, played slow pitch tournaments throughout the 2000s and 2010s, and have coached varsity baseball summer teams since 2012. You just have to be smart about hydrating and managing workload.

Slow pitch.  LOL.  You get a fresh beer rounding 2nd on a pop fly that dropped due to the chick in right field?

Slow pitch.  LOL.  You get a fresh beer rounding 2nd on a pop fly that dropped due to the chick in right field?
If you're not familiar with slow pitch tournaments the make up of those teams includes a whole lot of former high level baseball and softball players. Point is we were playing several games a day each weekend during the summer months in those tournaments. Including 2011. And the older I get the more the heat gets to me, but I'm still coaching not only my varsity teams but now also my own kids' teams 12u and 10u teams. They're obviously not as soft as you.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

They’re kids, their bodies are built for this shit.   

Without comment on activities, sports, swimming, etc, because let kids play. OTOH, you ought research before you show your ass.

Children have a smaller body mass to surface area ratio than adults, making them more vulnerable to heat-related morbidity and mortality. Children are more likely to become dehydrated than adults because they can lose more fluid quickly.

5 hours ago, gsoda3 said:
6 hours ago, tigol said:

If you're not familiar with slow pitch tournaments the make up of those teams includes a whole lot of former high level baseball and softball players. Point is we were playing several games a day each weekend during the summer months in those tournaments. Including 2011. And the older I get the more the heat gets to me, but I'm still coaching not only my varsity teams but now also my own kids' teams 12u and 10u teams. They're obviously not as soft as you.

Yep.  Played in many a tournament.  Worst one I was in we lost a game early on Friday night, so went into the loser’s bracket.   We played every hour from 6-midnight on Friday, then 8a-12p  Saturday and 2p-12am.  Made it to the championship game which was 8 am Sunday.   Total of 24 games in 36 hours.  I had to peel the socks off my feet after the game Sunday morning.  I’ve never been in as much “usage pain” as after that one.  

27 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

So we have dudes on here trying to "out badass" a girl w/.....softball stories?  hahaha, whooo you boys are made up of that aggy ruff stuff, real tuff, jizz jar mojo. 

This thread is becoming the stupidest one on this site. We should all in agreement that this bullshit summer weather is getting worse and not sustainable and we got golf stories, 27 updates about the Vermont weather and the rest of the bullshit about kids playing outside and college intramural glory days. 

ITS FUCKING HOT AGAIN SO JUST SHUT UP

• Hook 'Em 4

18 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This thread is becoming the stupidest one on this site. We should all in agreement that this bullshit summer weather is getting worse and not sustainable and we got golf stories, 27 updates about the Vermont weather and the rest of the bullshit about kids playing outside and college intramural glory days. 

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886vb6aluwsd8sozju4rr

45 minutes ago, Js1 said:

All that hate's gonna burn you up, Son.

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

You sound like you need to relax. Maybe hit the links and calm down?

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Hit the links?  How long would that take?  Could we get some input on folks so we could plan accordingly?

Even if you get it done quickly it's too hot outside to reasonably play golf. There's no way that anyone here has played a round of golf in this heat recently in less than a few hours and broke 85. 

38 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Hit the links?  How long would that take?  Could we get some input on folks so we could plan accordingly?

you'll need to be a bit more specific.  maybe a pivot table with course, length, # of driveable par 4's, start time, cart/no cart

2 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

So we have dudes on here trying to "out badass" a girl w/.....softball stories?  hahaha, whooo you boys are made up of that aggy ruff stuff, real tuff, jizz jar mojo. 

Yeah, that's a weird attempt at a humble brag.

14 minutes ago, F250 said:

Yeah, that's a weird attempt at a humble brag.

the intention isn't to highlight what i'm doing, it's to point out there are just as many kids out there playing in this heat today as there were when we were growing up.  all the hand-wringing about how much worse it is nowadays and how crazy it is to send kids out in this apocalyptical heat is hyperbolic.  

• Like 1

We get the kid out quite a bit, but it's primarily swimming. 95 degree high? Yeah, go outside and play.

I'm not going to make him go do shit in 107 degree weather unless it involves water.

11 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Don't backtrack just because you found out you were talking to a female. That's sexist, bro. You weren't going to apologize if that was a guy. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, FirstTimeCaller said:

We get the kid out quite a bit, but it's primarily swimming. 95 degree high? Yeah, go outside and play.

I'm not going to make him go do shit in 107 degree weather unless it involves water.

107 is cool compared to yesterday's  111 here. 

I don't think it should preclude anyone from going outside for a bit if they want to but you definitely have to be a lot more careful than if it was 95. 

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

the intention isn't to highlight what i'm doing, it's to point out there are just as many kids out there playing in this heat today as there were when we were growing up.  all the hand-wringing about how much worse it is nowadays and how crazy it is to send kids out in this apocalyptical heat is hyperbolic.  

Well, one of y'all called a woman a pussy multiple times and then the other joined in on the tough guy softball talk. You have to admit that's a little odd.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 7/18/2022 at 10:04 AM, statsman said:

I’ve always heard about the summer of 1980. I was 16, that year, and didn’t really notice (taking drivers Ed in the morning and working at Mr. Gattis in the evening). I think 2022 will be the new pacesetter for hot summers. 

I wasn't here for 2011 so 1980 is the standard bearer for summer misery to me.  I was a kid back then and I'm sure it's gotten worse in my mind as I become a certified old person, but I have forever thought back to the 1980 summer as hell on earth.