Blastfurnace 2022

Storm the Field

I was today years old when I learned the term "False Fall."  Lot more catchy than my "Bullshit Autumn" that I've been tossing around with Troy Kimmel (no tossing jokes).  

We all jinxed it talking about how lush our yards and blooms were looking.  Late evenings and early mornings are still pleasant, but we're still looking at what could be two weeks of 95+ with little to no cloud cover.  I've already noticed that stuff has quit getting lusher/bloomier/healthier.  It looks good but it's not getting better, it's stalled out and beginning retreat again (and not in that dormancy kinda November way either).  

Final strong push for the blastfurnace next week? Seeing some temps in the mid-90's in Houston, high-90's in CenTex next Wednesday-Friday. That's a good 6-8 degrees over the average high temp for this time of year.

Looks likely we'll continue to see highs in the low 90's through the end of the month. "Summer" officially ends a week from tomorrow, but it sure won't feel like Fall yet.

Yeah, I was hoping to give our A/C a rest, not to mention the water bill.  But fuck...this is looking like a shittastic end to September.  Why has every fucking September in the last 25 years sucked so fucking bad?  We've had some mild summers and some wet summers...and obviously some horrible ones.  And no matter what, without fail...like the Family Circus cartoon in your weekend paper...there's Texas September...just waiting to suck.  Never fucking fails.  

Welp, Blastfurance isn't ready to give up the ghost yet and looks to be going out with a blaze. This coming week is going to feel like we're back in early August. TUE-SAT will all see highs above 95.  

In what I can only imagine is some sort of sick meteorological joke, Thursday, which is the first official day of Autumn, will be the hottest day in over a month, dating back to August 17th. Forecast calling for a high of 98 in Houston, 100 in Austin, both would be just 2 degrees shy of the existing records.

Should transition back into more seasonal weather (highs around 90, lows around 70) for the final week of September. Looks like we'll be well into October before we'll see any type of legit cool front.

3 minutes ago, yoladu said:

my car is covered in tree sap. I cant remember it ever being this bad.

I wash it, but it's just glazed again 24 hours later.

I'm battling this as well. Had to wash it today because I couldn't see out my side windows. 

It's already getting sticky again.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, yoladu said:

my car is covered in tree sap. I cant remember it ever being this bad.

I wash it, but it's just glazed again 24 hours later.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I'm battling this as well. Had to wash it today because I couldn't see out my side windows. 

It's already getting sticky again.

I was trying to figure this out yesterday.  It's the pecan trees.  The internet seems to say it's aphid shit (honeydew), but it seems like that's only supposed to happen to random pecan trees, not all of them in the whole city at once.

Houston:

Today should be pretty normal. Cloud cover and potential afternoon rain should hold down temps to the low 90's. The real suck starts tomorrow. 5 straight days of high 90's on tap. Just gotta make it to Sunday. Next week should be much better.

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I was trying to figure this out yesterday.  It's the pecan trees.  The internet seems to say it's aphid shit (honeydew), but it seems like that's only supposed to happen to random pecan trees, not all of them in the whole city at once.

There are several pecans that shade the parking lot where I work and they do it every year at the same time.

I follow that as well.  And tried suggesting it to my yard and trees and they told me to go fuck myself. 

Yeah. I just turned on my sprinkler system again to shut them up

But the flys and knots are crazy now. Is everyone else noticing this or did my kids drop a bunch of fruit around I can’t find. It’s annoying

I have noticed a big uptick in houseflies the last week or so.  Does it have something to do with that pecan pollen piss cocktail thing from those other bugs all over Austin?  

Mosquitoes of course don't give shit one about the lack of rain of late.  They're mauling my family and I again and I just treated 4 days ago.  

But crickets and flies are out en force lately, can't remember last time I saw them like this.  I hope we finally get a goddamn proper Autumn this year.  Long-term models say yes, mother nature says, "Fuck You.  Pay Me."  

I thought I could get away with taking a year off of aerating this fall but looks like I'm gonna burn a whole weekend doing that soon.  And fuck those things are getting heavier each year to push around.  

Edited by YGIFS

Oh cool, 15 day forecast shows no rain and no clouds.  I dig the early morning and late evening temps again.  But 95 with no cloud cover gonna wear down the flora/grass/arbor before dormancy season and that always shocks everything.  

Anyway, hope that however they are choosing kickoffs after this weekend's game, we get a 7:00p.  Because 11:00a for WVU means sun-stroke, 2:30p for WVU means heat-stroke.  Weather.com has 96 and no clouds that day.  Always a fun way to start October.  

Well good news is we don't get a night (and I don't mean 6:00p, I mean real night like 7:30p)....game against WVU...any other kickoff time....those dudes are fucked.

22 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Starting Monday, every day on the long-range forecast has a low temperature that starts with a 6. I can dig that.

Just hold out 5 more days, boys!

Today's update has the front waiting until Monday night to arrive, so tack on 1 extra day of Extended Summer. On the bright side, the forecast for next TUE-FRI is even better than it looked yesterday:

9/27: 90/67

9/28: 88/65

9/29: 87/64

9/30: 88/67

3 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Happy First Day of Autumn! Got my fleece vest on, sipping a piping hot pumpkin flavored coffee, and getting some wood delivered for a bonfire tonight.

Now to step outside and check the weather....

As hot as it's been these last few days, it hasn't seemed near as bad since we had a few weeks of much more pleasant weather in between.  Not to mention the fact that it hasn't been just par-baked hot all day.  Even at lunch, it's still barely even 90.  It heats up really quickly between 2 and 4, and then cools down much more quickly since the sun is down 40 minutes earlier than it was in early August.   

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/21/2022 at 10:24 AM, Storm the Field said:

Today's update has the front waiting until Monday night to arrive, so tack on 1 extra day of Extended Summer. On the bright side, the forecast for next TUE-FRI is even better than it looked yesterday:

9/27: 90/67

9/28: 88/65

9/29: 87/64

9/30: 88/67

And so it starts.  This is the annual bullshit where the first "cool snap" keeps getting pushed back a day or two every day for the next two months.

5 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

And so it starts.  This is the annual bullshit where the first "cool snap" keeps getting pushed back a day or two every day for the next two months.

No rug pull just yet. Forecast still calling for a late Monday arrival with very pleasant weather starting Tuesday morning.

For maximum effect, they'll need to let us go through a record-breaking weekend expecting imminent relief and THEN pull a fast one on Monday morning.

• Hook 'Em 1