Non-Texas weather. The all-encompassing thread

Parliament

22 minutes ago, Parliament said:

If it's windy enough, it can push the draft backwards and blow the flame out.  I've seen it. 

Your thermocoupler should have a screw that lets you "turn the wick up" a bit.  Do that.  And for God's sake, move out of Oklahoma.

That’s exactly what happened.  We were getting frequent 45mph gusts.   

Water heater is in a garage closet on the north wall, so it was well below freezing in there with it being 8 degrees outside.  I put a small space heater in the closet and two hours later hot water was back with no apparent leaks anywhere.  

Whew.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Birmingham's projected hell-bomb of arctic air is probably nothing compared to the upper midwest, but tomorrow morning we are supposed to be colder than Quebec City.

Wrapped up the fig trees and pomegranate, wind ripped the covers off two of the figs, I just wrapped the soggy mass around the lower trunks in the hope that the ice will be lots warmer than the air.

So conditions were too bad to drive.  I'd figured I was just gonna hang out at the office and sleep in my car.  My boss said fuck that and booked me a room at the Westin.  Well across the street 4 homeless dudes jumped another one and while they tried kicking him.  They slipped on the ice.  Hilarity ensues

PXL_20221223_204710804.jpg

PXL_20221223_192241867.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/23/2022 at 4:29 AM, Sbbruin said:

LA is going to hit close to its all-time high (85) on Christmas.  Low 80’s forecast.  What’s everyone complaining about?

The peninsula is going to be a high off 59 and a low of about 45 this week.   You have immunity from negs but I may get bombed into Bolivia.

Currently 42 degrees on the upper Puget sound, 25 degrees warmer than yesterday.  I thought my house was well insulated, but learned otherwise when it got below 25. This week of below freezing temps has me looking for a new AWD suv, I'll be going to Sea-Tac in my truck to fetch the BIL and wife.

Edited by otisdog
tense

Outside faucet popped at 4:15 (wrapped, covered, and hand warmers on them) luckily Home Depot was open until 5. They had no caps the size I needed so added a connector and then capped the connector. That was a lot of fun while trying to cook for everyone that were coming over to eat at 5. Under the house to cut and glue, grilled chickens and flanks for fajitas, back under to check that everything had set and secure the lines, crisis averted.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

• 2 weeks later...

I travel for work and was thankfully home when I got my 13".  Currently earing Thai in Sioux Falls.  City's a bit of a cluster, but we have heat and power.

ETA

Flying to Vegas tomorrow, connecting through Denver.  So far it looks good.

Edited by Parliament

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

How much of this rain/snow hitting California is upstream of their reservoirs? Is it gonna fill them or just run off?

It’s anus preparation time today.  75 mph winds predicted.  Radar below.  Pineapple Express incoming.  They like weird names for storm events out here.

image.thumb.jpeg.8d5623be75cb90e16044e5b603c36c83.jpeg

Edited by Hefeweizen
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

How much of this rain/snow hitting California is upstream of their reservoirs? Is it gonna fill them or just run off?

They are the biggest source of water for the state. Reservoirs expecting impacts from the atmospheric rivers actually have to decide to release water, which from what I understand is a difficult task because it’s hard to know where the rain will hit into landfall. But yeah the ground is already soaked from last week’s rain and there should be some flooding. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So last night that winter blast hit New England. This is what we woke up to in Winchester, MA:

Image-1.png.thumb.jpeg.97a04deec604be57bad9d839fd41bb4e.jpeg

Our place in Vermont damn cold (our weather station outside):

Image-1.png.thumb.jpeg.acf14cd78ac6087e11659e19d8bf0f5b.jpeg

It got down to -22.7 at it lowest from the overnight graph, and you can see the windchill.

image.thumb.png.ed58c3fdc18bd737b53e39e0c6bec49d.png

Being at home - i had no worries there. 

The Vermont place is well weather proofed, I just turned up the heat remotely, just to be sure (from 55 normal away temp to 60). Not really worried too much about it.

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

So last night that winter blast hit New England. This is what we woke up to in Winchester, MA:

Image-1.png.thumb.jpeg.97a04deec604be57bad9d839fd41bb4e.jpeg

Our place in Vermont damn cold (our weather station outside):

Image-1.png.thumb.jpeg.acf14cd78ac6087e11659e19d8bf0f5b.jpeg

It got down to -22.7 at it lowest from the overnight graph, and you can see the windchill.

image.thumb.png.ed58c3fdc18bd737b53e39e0c6bec49d.png

Being at home - i had no worries there. 

The Vermont place is well weather proofed, I just turned up the heat remotely, just to be sure (from 55 normal away temp to 60). Not really worried too much about it.

What time did you lose power and water? And how are your trees doing?